• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remix2

In fairness previous series use the two or three group but still deprive some of them of development. Take DP with Brock for example.

Ture, but at least that was one out of the three main group who got the shafted instead of three out of the six main characters getting shafted.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
The new character’s a boy, huh? What a bummer. So much for my previous hype lol. But hopefully there will be a girl who travels with them, or at least is significant in their story? It would be fantastic if she’s a cool and formidable trainer. In Galar, Marnie could be a serious rival for Ash.

On the other hand, looks like they’re giving eyelashes to more and more male characters, which is refreshing in it’s own way. I realized that Sword/Shield guys like Bede, Chairman Rose, Leon, and Hop all have some sort of variation of eyelashes in their designs.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
So......... is this our Ash or not? Without an actual preview, this is the only thing I care about knowing

Ultra Beast Lover

I hope it's not an AU, what was the point of everything in the last 22 years if we're just rebooting? I don't think it'd be the fun kind either where we meet the original characters in new and exciting ways, I think it'd be the boring way

game3524

I hope it's not an AU, what was the point of everything in the last 22 years if we're just rebooting? I don't think it'd be the fun kind either where we meet the original characters in new and exciting ways, I think it'd be the boring way

A big problem Pokemon has had the last several years is that the continuity had become an anchor given how long the show has gone on. It is why I suspect they started to keep each series more self-contained starting with BW. But now since they are using every region, they may just feel it is easier on the writers to have a clean slate.

Konja7

I don't think it would be AU Ash.

I mean it's possible previous events and friends will be treated as Charizard in M21, but Ash will likely has his story.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
The AU thing was obvious the minute the title was released. These people aren't dumb, you don't use that title unless you are trolling.

Obvious? No. It's a big hint, but there was enough to plausibly doubt that.

Before today, we didn't know:

-Ash v. Kukui is likely a 3-parter
-The new anime is LET'S GO focused
-Galar is not a major focus

With these new facts, I'm more convinced. It would be disappointing though, since the established canon was not limiting and was quite valuable. I found it irredeemably stupid when Disney dumped the Star Wars Extended Universe and replaced it with rubbish. A body of work by legitimate science fiction authors dropped in favour of...Kurtzman and Orci? Bah.

game3524

Obvious? No. It's a big hint, but there was enough to plausibly doubt that.

Before today, we didn't know:

-Ash v. Kukui is likely a 3-parter
-The new anime is LET'S GO focused
-Galar is not a major focus

With these new facts, I'm more convinced. It would be disappointing though, since the established canon was not limiting and was quite valuable. I found it irredeemably stupid when Disney dumped the Star Wars Extended Universe and replaced it with rubbish. A body of work by legitimate science fiction authors dropped in favour of...Kurtzman and Orci? Bah.

To me, it was obvious they were going this direction given how they streamlined their promotion (calendars, merch etc. seem to be old Pokemon heavy), plus with the title change. Anyway, continuity has not matter to me since they end of Sinnoh. OS-DP felt like a cohesive story. But since then, it feels like anything outside of the OS didn't happen in the minds of the writers.

As for Star Wars, I never had a problem with them dropping the old EU. My issue was them replacing it with crap and basically doing stale OT crap to pander to old fans. Pokemon could do that as well, but I have more faith in them that they try new things.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Btw, do we know who the lead writer is?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Oh and the head writer is souji yonemura who wrote the Guzzlord arc(aka the best arc of sun and moon in a landslide) so That give me hope that the writing will see a big improvement For this series.
Guzzlord's the most boring arc in SM because it takes everyone who actually needed development out of the story.
Yes, clearly they have problem with giving information in this gen. Not only in the anime department....
That's not a problem. Less information is better.
We are talking here about changes in the format and a lot of the ones you mentioned are not even that, but for the sake of arguing:
1. That changed absolutely nothing. If anything, it only made the companions more underdeveloped.
2. XY, hello?!
3. Ash didn't catch any legendary pokémon. He caught a mythical pokémon just to have it flop more than a non mythical pokemon normally would.
4. Most of them got eliminated soon and their presence had no real consequences to their overall arc.
5. He also won the OI. It wasn't a traditional League, but this one isn't either.

SM did have a bunch of superficial changes in the format but at the end of the day they did nearly the same thing but worse.
1. It changed a lot. the companions all had different dynamics with each other.
2. Much as I love Bonnie, she didn't do much until XYZ.
3. Mythical is a subset of Legendary. All Mythicals are Legendaries, but not all Legendaries are Mythicals.
4. All of them made it past the first round, the two weakest ones got eliminated in the top 16, the next two lost in the top 8, and one made the semi-finals.
5. This League couldn't be traditional. There was no time to fairly set up entrance requirements like passing the Island Challenge or something similar because the League began far too soon after the announcement. And even so, the two people who ended up as finalists are ones who completed the Island Challenge.
Can we stop using this garbage league as a positive. It wasn't, and having a character who only has 2 Pokémon is not something that you should be adding to your argument.
This League is a positive. We got to see every battle, and only one or two of them were mediocre. It felt like a real tournament, unlike recent past Leagues.

04n70n10

Please, we still doesnt know if this is the old Ash or an AU Ash.... nothing so far prove one or the latter.

GO or not GO IMO the series need a Pokémon catcher. Capturing and collect Pokémon is a pillar aspect of the franchise and the anime overshadow this aspect for too long.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Knew Go was a boy the moment I saw the leaked poster. Still impressed people were confident it'd turn out to be a girl.

Moving on, I'm really excited for the new anime.

Go is the kind of character I've been wanting for the show ever since I saw GS' male PC in a Nintendo magazine: a boy who would be the co-star alongside Ash become a close friend/brother-esque figure. Looking forward their dynamic.

As for Reiko Yoshida, she was a writer of the Saint Seiya franchise. Which is making me even more hyped. Love her characters on Saint Seiya Omega.

Two only protagonist traveling is interesting but I'm also hoping they will add female in the main cast.

I'm confident we might get one. Maybe not now but later.

I can see them using the female of whatever the next game is going to be (either a new Sword & Shield set, a unlikely return of 3rd version or the those Gen IV remakes people have been demanding) as a way to promote it.

If the next game ends being a DP remake, I can see Dawn - the first co-star - making a triunphant return for at least 1-year.

I mean, remember what Hidaka said about past companion coming back for arcs? Since the anime now is just "Pokémon" and the series will go on for a LONG time, it means the maths for episode count would allow to 1-year worthy of weekly episode not be too much.

Wow so apparently Ken Sugimori was the one to come up with Go’s design

Do you have the source? I'd love to it.

Anyway, that's quite cool since it kind of integrates him to the games, in a way. Hopefully his clothes will be an option for the male PC, either on SwSh or a future gen VIII game.

Pokémon Anime Staff/Cast:
  • Director: Maki Kodaira
  • Creative Supervisor: Kunihiko Yuyama
  • Series Concept Design: Shouji Yonemura
  • Chara Design: Shuhei Yasuda
  • Sound Director: Masafumi Mima
  • Music: Yuuki Hayashi
  • Studio: OLM
  • Gou (CV: Daiki Yamashita)
Source: https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pocketmonster/

Someone educated about the series' previous casts, enlight us whether the new additions/changes are positive or not.

Really happy Yonemura got a promotion of sorts. I've always been a fan of his episodes and ICY was a great showing of his writting ability.

Well it's no wonder I had this nagging feeling that Go was somewhere in the SwSh games. A direct design from the game artist himself.

I hope his clothes become a DLC for the male PC.

By the way, I do wish we could get his dub name so I could name my character in SwSh after him.

Oh and the head writer is souji yonemura who wrote the Guzzlord arc(aka the best arc of sun and moon in a landslide) so That give me hope that the writing will see a big improvement For this series.

He also wrote I Choose You. And he's one of the veterans, alongside Tomioka, who's been working in the show since the beggining.

Hopefully not. It's good that we're seeing changes. Change is objectively better.

Truer words were never spoken.

It's one of the things I love about the show. Its ability to adaptate and always embrace change.

Dawn could be called co-protagonist, but (if I'm not mistaken) her role wasn't so different from May. The Contests were secondary to the Gyms and the League.

Go seems to be more central in the current story, since this time seems to be a big focus in traveling 8 regions. Not to mention that he seems to represent the popular Pokemon Go.

Well, during the DP days, the introductory text in the openings were changed to say "Ash's and Dawn's adventure" which they never done before and haven't done again ever since (at least up until now).

So I'd say that Gou are even.

Also, DP mostly felt Ash and Dawn's journey. It only became more Ash-focused after the GF which is around the time the staff was made aware of what was required for BW.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
And to this day I still don’t how fujisaku get higher billing over tomioka.
Or maybe because they want newer blood to get on board? Tomioka can’t be writing things forever as much as he’s great at it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.