• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
XY had a bunch of Gen 1 pandering... Ash got 2 evolution's from encountering the Legendary Bird's Moltres and Zapdos. Even some of the Gym Leader's had Kanto Pokemon.
I don't think that's really Kanto-pandering. Alain's Mega Charizard X taking up too much screen-time over his other Pokemon is more like Kanto-pandering.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
XY had a bunch of Gen 1 pandering... Ash got 2 evolution's from encountering the Legendary Bird's Moltres and Zapdos. Even some of the Gym Leader's had Kanto Pokemon.
I also think that it's due of Mega Evolutions where Gen 1 had the most amount of Pokemons that could mega-evolve.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Actually, Gen 3 had the most Pokemon that can Mega Evolve.
From the anime too? In terms of appearences including the ME specials.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Still better than making the Flying types evolve via Flying competitions, it helped them stand out more.

Saying Sinnoh gets as much focus is just absurd. Cause it isn't true. Kanto pandering is very real and a serious problem in both anime and game

RedR

i think we'll get another animation style change for this series.

We have currently 5 different styles the anime has done:

1) OG to XYZ
2) 20th movie (it's close to classic style, but *slightly* different, so I'll call it a different animation style)
3) 21st movie
4) 3D CGI (Meowth's party and mewtwo remake in 2020)
5) SM

So one more wouldn't hurt. Especially since this is the first "new gen" on a home console.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Still better than making the Flying types evolve via Flying competitions, it helped them stand out more.

Saying Sinnoh gets as much focus is just absurd. Cause it isn't true. Kanto pandering is very real and a serious problem in both anime and game

Only series that kept kanto pandering to the lowest was DP and XY (except alain's MCX). I was glad that none of ash's sinnoh and kalos rivals had kanto pokemon wxcept for alain's MCX. All other series have good amount of kanto wankfest, BW was original but the last year they tried to add too much nostalgia.

Atleast they both evolved in different way XY did try to o things differently, and despite all the kanto pokemon used there was also no continuity from the past series as well. And tbf only gym leaders who used kanto pokemon were ramos and grant and even there aces pokemon were all kalos ones.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
i think we'll get another animation style change for this series.

We have currently 5 different styles the anime has done:

1) OG to XYZ
2) 20th movie (it's close to classic style, but *slightly* different, so I'll call it a different animation style)
3) 21st movie
4) 3D CGI (Meowth's party and mewtwo remake in 2020)
5) SM

So one more wouldn't hurt. Especially since this is the first "new gen" on a home console.
There were changes from the OG series through XY&Z too, they were just nowhere near as obvious. In fact it seems weird to me that you would acknowledge this for M20 but none of the previous series.

That said, yes, the Sword & Shield anime will almost certainly bring with it another change in style. I can see them refining the look in Sun & Moon somewhat, to try and address the common complaints about returning characters not quite looking right... Well, assuming that the anime staff even saw said complaints, but I would imagine that someone must have caught wind of them. I don't think they were exclusively a western phenomenon.

Kintaro

Banned
To be fair the anime has never been able to truly move on from the OS era, same reason Ash and TR are still here. Why Brock lasted to the end of DP, and why Misty has more cameos than the other girls. Gary is also the only rival to continue to appear after his series ended, even characters as popular as Paul or the other girls rivals never ever appeared again in the main series.

Anyone who thinks the OS characters aren't the most pandered to in the series is obviously watching a different show.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Only series that kept kanto pandering to the lowest was DP and XY (except alain's MCX). I was glad that none of ash's sinnoh and kalos rivals had kanto pokemon wxcept for alain's MCX. All other series have good amount of kanto wankfest, BW was original but the last year they tried to add too much nostalgia.

Atleast they both evolved in different way XY did try to o things differently, and despite all the kanto pokemon used there was also no continuity from the past series as well. And tbf only gym leaders who used kanto pokemon were ramos and grant and even there aces pokemon were all kalos ones.
I agree with every word❤️
Gen pandering can be ok, when its not over done and involves other gens but gen 1.... Which isnt the case atm unfortunately

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
To be fair the anime has never been able to truly move on from the OS era, same reason Ash and TR are still here. Why Brock lasted to the end of DP, and why Misty has more cameos than the other girls. Gary is also the only rival to continue to appear after his series ended, even characters as popular as Paul or the other girls rivals never ever appeared again in the main series.

Anyone who thinks the OS characters aren't the most pandered to in the series is obviously watching a different show.

I dont think ash and TR are due to gen 1 pandering its mostly because of pikachu that ash is present here, as for TR they provide a certain amount of humour and are able to connect well with the audience. Gary hasn't really shown in about 10 years. I agree with rest of your views, i think brock was able to stay longer since they couldn't find his replacement and his first replacement tracey was poorly received which enabled them to bring back brock.

Kintaro

Banned
Misty is the longest lasting female companion with the most cameos, and Brock lasted almost 13 years in a row sans Orange Islands and has come back more times than any other male companion. Gary also returned after the OS ended whereas other rivals like Paul just plain never appear again.

If you notice all the other female companions just flat out never appear again after their last cameos end (like May and Dawn), or never get cameos (Iris and Serena). The writers never gave any other characters outside the OS any long lasting promotion. I remember when people thought Dawn would stay back in the day too and just look at how easily she was dropped and now she's been irrelevant for almost 9 years.

DatsRight

I think the Kanto stuff is largely just down to milestone quantity. It's the first and most iconic region so when they celebrate both the games and show's anniversary, of course that's going to get the lion's share of nostalgia pandering.

Besides that BW-onwards has been discarding continuity more often to make the anime more self contained and timeless. In XY they plain out forgot to bother with any nods to previous series.

Kintaro

Banned
I remember back in the AG and DP era wondering if those characters would continue to appear after their sagas ended like Misty/Brock/Gary did, but for the most part they did not. Even surprised some popular rivals like Drew/Harley, Paul or Zoey never appeared again either. All the characters of those arcs were discarded, whereas even Richie and Casey appeared again in specials because they were OS characters.

And now that continuity is even looser, it's probably why we don't see the later characters get cameos at all

Remix2

There were changes from the OG series through XY&Z too, they were just nowhere near as obvious. In fact it seems weird to me that you would acknowledge this for M20 but none of the previous series.

That said, yes, the Sword & Shield anime will almost certainly bring with it another change in style. I can see them refining the look in Sun & Moon somewhat, to try and address the common complaints about returning characters not quite looking right... Well, assuming that the anime staff even saw said complaints, but I would imagine that someone must have caught wind of them. I don't think they were exclusively a western phenomenon.

I can see them potentially trying to refine the the sm style, especially trying to make other expressions not as awkward(like every time characters trying to do a serious expression it just doesn’t look right).

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I can see them potentially trying to refine the the sm style, especially trying to make other expressions not as awkward(like every time characters trying to do a serious expression it just doesn’t look right).
I would be accepted that part as long as Satoshi look like himself again !

shoz999

Depends on what you mean looking like himself again. The Ash Ketchum of Gen 1 looked very different and "updated" by Gen 5 and it was kept like that until Gen 7. Then we also have the Ash Ketchum of the recent Lugia movie of course. Personally I like the anime crew is going through different animation directions with Ash, really keeps things fresh.

Moonlight Starlight

That's why I said way back in one of my comments that I do like to see Ash get his sea Ash get his facial look back to normal like and his other previous generations. Fix his face, fix his eyes, also it's part of his body because his pants looks like it rising up to his knees like if Ash's pants just shrink and also his Z lines on his face too.

shoz999

That's why I said way back in one of my comments that I do like to see Ash get his sea Ash get his facial look back to normal like and his other previous generations. Fix his face, fix his eyes, also it's part of his body because his pants looks like it rising up to his knees like if Ash's pants just shrink and also his Z lines on his face too.
Personally I wouldn't mind in future series that they went for the Wit Studio look, who are responsible for Attack on Titan, one of the greatest animes ever produced.

pretty_ash_with_long_hair_and_pikachu_from_pokemon_the_movie_2018.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.