• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
The anime doesn’t need to back to the same carbon-copy retreaded crap we’ve had for the last twenty years. SM is good, it does things in a new and innovative way. Pokemon anime is an advertisement for the games, Satoshi is never winning a real league most likely and will continue his loop for years to go. If they’re going to continue forward, they need to continue to advance and evolve the formula like they have thus far. No bringing back to Takeshi, no COTD episodic staleness, no pseudo-idol sidegoal again, move forward into some new stuff. Pokemon anime is the only show I know of where want another 100+ episodes of near identical crap reskinned onto new characters. Even movie 20&21 did new and interesting things aside from villain capturing legend to gain control of something nonsense.

Kintaro

Banned
I feel like it's a very simple fix for the anime

Bring back Brock. The writers have tried experimenting with characters in his spot, but no one was able to come close. This isn't the same as Misty, as May and Dawn were considerably popular. Brock's replacements just did not make sense. Cilan quickly overstayed his welcome and Clemont really didn't work that well. I think Brock's role in the anime was always underrated. He was there as a figure of marking Ash's maturity. We saw Ash's progress through his relationship with Brock.
me.

That's literally not true at all. Cilan, Clemont and Kiawe are all popular with different people. Sure not everyone likes all 3, but all 3 have their fans and they give the group dynamic a different feel and Ash has a different dynamic with all of them. Brock would have been dreadful in BW or XY especially, and in SM wouldn't really work either.

People were constantly complaining about Brock's boring repetitive returns in the anime for a decade before he actually left. If you still like Brock, you have like 600+ episodes to rewatch with him in it. Granted I don't see what kind of enjoyment you can get out of a character who does nothing in 90% of the eps he's in but function as a repetitive gag character or explain battles, but to each their own I guess. If it were up to me Brock would left when the OS ended along with Misty, even back then I felt he ran his course.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
The anime doesn’t need to back to the same carbon-copy retreaded crap we’ve had for the last twenty years. SM is good, it does things in a new and innovative way. Pokemon anime is an advertisement for the games, Satoshi is never winning a real league most likely and will continue his loop for years to go. If they’re going to continue forward, they need to continue to advance and evolve the formula like they have thus far. No bringing back to Takeshi, no COTD episodic staleness, no pseudo-idol sidegoal again, move forward into some new stuff. Pokemon anime is the only show I know of where want another 100+ episodes of near identical crap reskinned onto new characters. Even movie 20&21 did new and interesting things aside from villain capturing legend to gain control of something nonsense.

This is literally the worst take. Especially because this same carbon-copy retreaded crap that you speak off IS THE ANIME FOLLOWING THE GAMES. The anime is supposed to follow the games, and it has worked well for the past 20 years doing that. And last time i checked, I wasn't in Pokemon school whenever I played Sun and Moon. Also, I don't want to bring in ratings, but Japan has rejected the sun and moon formula. The west has as well. I appreciated the experiment, but Sun and Moon will end on the same path as Best Wishes; i.e., being a flop.

That's literally not true at all. Cilan, Clemont and Kiawe are all popular with different people. Sure not everyone likes all 3, but all 3 have their fans and they give the group dynamic a different feel and Ash has a different dynamic with all of them. Brock would have been dreadful in BW or XY especially, and in SM wouldn't really work either.

People were constantly complaining about Brock's boring repetitive returns in the anime for a decade before he actually left. If you still like Brock, you have like 600+ episodes to rewatch with him in it. Granted I don't see what kind of enjoyment you can get out of a character who does nothing in 90% of the eps he's in but function as a repetitive gag character or explain battles, but to each their own I guess. If it were up to me Brock would left when the OS ended along with Misty, even back then I felt he ran his course.

Sun and Moon actually provided Brock was anything but stale. And I like the idea of having new characters taking Brock's role, but his role is essentially the third wheel. Cilan ended up serving the exact same role as Brock as best wishes went on and Clement, was, admittedly, overshadowed by Bonnie and served to be the least memorable character from the group.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I agree on the subject that Scorbunny probably won't evolve. I am sure it's going to be the real Piplup 2.0 with that "proud" pose and that the female trainer will be the one who's getting Scorbunny.

Depending of the direction of the ShSw series, either only Grookey or Sobble will fully evolve and one only to the second stage or both. Or both once (if Ash will get the remaing two at all)

Hanto

Water Addiction
I agree on the subject that Scorbunny probably won't evolve. I am sure it's going to be the real Piplup 2.0 with that "proud" pose and that the female trainer will be the one who's getting Scorbunny.

Depending of the direction of the ShSw series, either only Grookey or Sobble will fully evolve and one only to the second stage or both. Or both once (if Ash will get the remaing two at all)
We had one clearly feminine starter pokemon since Gen VI and all of them were given to main girl traveler companions in tha anime. Grookie looks like the most feminine of new starter trio with that stick in its hairdo and we never had the main pokegirl with the grass type starter of her home region. So Scorbunny and/or Sobble will eventually be given to Ash in theory.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
We had one clearly feminine starter pokemon since Gen VI and all of them were given to main girl traveler companions in tha anime. Grookie looks like the most feminine of new starter trio with that stick in its hairdo and we never had the main pokegirl with the grass type starter of her home region. So Scorbunny and/or Sobble will eventually be given to Ash in theory.
Does it really, though? From where I'm standing all the Sword & Shield starters look fairly gender neutral. Though it depends on their evolutions I guess; Popplio didn't look too overtly feminine, but its evolutions sure did.

Kintaro

Banned
If the girl gets a cute unevolved starter then my interest in her will deplete. Very tired of seeing the same girly girl with cute Pokémon done for the 100th time in a row. Yes I know I’m exaggerating here but you all get the point. Watch her be bad at battling at first too and have to rely on Ash to get stronger.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Watch her be bad at battling at first too and have to rely on Ash to get stronger.
I would not at all have a problem with this in and of itself... as long as she actually gets stronger. That remains my main, probably unrealistic, hope for this series; Have the main girl actually grow as a battler over time... Oh, and show this by having her actually fight proper tough opponents. You can throw all the Team Rocket beatdowns you want at us, Pokémon, but that won't magically make anyone seem strong if that's literally the only battling thei ever do.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics

Grookey and feminine? I just can't see it from a simple stick in the head/hair. Fennekin was the only one which is looking feminine since the sixth generation. Popplio itself also wasn't feminine looking until Brionne. If Grookey's evolutions are going to look more feminine, then maybe, but as of now none of the Galar starter look feminine to me and it that case the Pokemon the female protagonists get were always the most cute looking ones or the starter which fits a girl the most and I think in that case it's clearly Scorbunny for me.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Grookey and feminine? I just can't see it from a simple stick in the head/hair. Fennekin was the only one which is looking feminine since the sixth generation. Popplio itself also wasn't feminine looking until Brionne. If Grookey's evolutions are going to look more feminine, then maybe, but as of now none of the Galar starter look feminine to me and it that case the Pokemon the female protagonists get were always the most cute looking ones or the starter which fits a girl the most and I think in that case it's clearly Scorbunny for me.
Which Pokemon suits what character is up to personal interpretation.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Hanto said:
Grookie looks like the most feminine of new starter trio with that stick in its hairdo and we never had the main pokegirl with the grass type starter of her home region.

I don't think Sarunori is that feminine, but even assuming that the writers agree with that stance, I don't think it would stop Satoshi from getting one since he caught Chikorita after all.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Grookey, feminine..... lel

I wish the male side character got a fire starter for a change (as in the newest starter, not something like Kiawe's Charizard). Let him have Scorbunny instead!

^ This please
I'd actually like another saga where the female doesn't have a starter at all. Like how Misty's signature was Togepi/Psyduck and Iris' was Axew. It'd make their teams more exciting without a starter tacked onto it

I do think it's about time a female got the new Grass starter though. Long overdue

Hanto

Water Addiction
I wish the male side character got a fire starter for a change (as in the newest starter, not something like Kiawe's Charizard). Let him have Scorbunny instead!
But no Chespin treatrment plz. That poor thing got only comic relief antics and three weak moves, at least Buneary had Ice Beam (consider no Alola gang Pokemon cause they are underdeveloped except maybe Turtonator and Marowak).

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The fem protag getting Grookey can work. Although it's not the anime, the Pokemon Adventures manga gave Y (the manga equivalent of Serena) Froakie and temporarily gave Trevor Delphox. If a simple thing like that can work for the manga, it's a simple thing that can work for the anime. Besides it sounds like a fun marketable gimmick for the anime. It's not that hard to see a Brock clone care for a feminine starter. The actual Brock did care for Happiny and it's not hard to see a fem protagonist care for a more tougher spunky starter. We kind of got a glimpse of it in the DP movie where a female trainer had Infernape. However considering the trends the anime follows, if you had to make a bet on which starter the female protagonist would most likely get, would you honestly not vote for Scorbunny whether you think the idea sounds boring or not? On the other hand, I suppose if they wanted to keep the typing's fresh, they'd probably give her a non-fire type after Serena's Fennekin.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
But no Chespin treatrment plz. That poor thing got only comic relief antics and three weak moves, at least Buneary had Ice Beam (consider no Alola gang Pokemon cause they are underdeveloped except maybe Turtonator and Marowak).

The thing about Chespin is that at the end of the day, Clemont's goal was to be a better gym leader. And unfortunately for Chespin, an Electric type he is not!
I do think Serena should have gotten it and Fennekin, it'd have been better off with her and made the rivalry with Pancham more fun

The fem protag getting Grookey can work. Although it's not the anime, the Pokemon Adventures manga gave Y (the manga equivalent of Serena) Froakie and temporarily gave Trevor Delphox. If a simple thing like that can work for the manga, it's a simple thing that can work for the anime. Besides it sounds like a fun marketable gimmick for the anime. It's not that hard to see a Brock clone care for a feminine starter. The actual Brock did care for Happiny and it's not hard to see a fem protagonist care for a more tougher spunky starter. We kind of got a glimpse of it in the DP movie where a female trainer had Infernape. However considering the trends the anime follows, if you had to make a bet on which starter the female protagonist would most likely get, would you honestly not vote for Scorbunny whether you think the idea sounds boring or not? On the other hand, I suppose if they wanted to keep the typing's fresh, they'd probably give her a non-fire type after Serena's Fennekin.

Oh it can work, yes.
I have a good feeling Grookey's gonna go all the way so it'd be nice to see the female get it. It's rare the main Pokemon for the female actually evolves all the way, only May and Mallow have done it

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I don't think Sarunori is that feminine, but even assuming that the writers agree with that stance, I don't think it would stop Satoshi from getting one since he caught Chikorita after all.

Back when Ash caught Chikorita, it was before the anime allowed the other main characters to have starters. So if I had to guess, it's either he gets it or no one does.

Nowadays anyone can have one, hence why the feminine starters go to the girls.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Back when Ash caught Chikorita, it was before the anime allowed the other main characters to have starters. So if I had to guess, it's either he gets it or no one does.

Nowadays anyone can have one, hence why the feminine starters go to the girls.
Except we don't know which one is the feminine one, if there is one. We will have to wait until they announce the evolutions.

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

I think chespin was given to the wrong guy, it should have gone to serena it would have helped her in her performances and could give her more choices rather than same one dimensional moves she was doing in all her showcases, ash should have gotten honedge line it suited him well.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
In terms of the starters and type distribution, Ash has gotten the Grass starter 6/7 times. The only Grass starter he didn't get was Chespin, which instead went to Clemont. The female companion has currently never obtained the grass starter. Ash has gotten the Fire starter 5/7 times, with the Fire starter going to the female companion both times he didn't get it (Torchic and Fennekin). Ash has gotten the Water starter only 4/7 times, with Mudkip going to Brock, Piplup going to Dawn, and Popplio going to Lana.

Status
Not open for further replies.