• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p96822

Evolve me please
I was really hoping we'd get something of a 'reverse BW' this series, with TR starting off ineffectual but slowly building up resources, getting Z Moves and working themselves up into actually being something of a threat by the end of the series. It's a shame, they were much more methodical this series, they had more long term plans but they're still pretty much in the same jobber state they were at the beginning besides maybe getting in the odd hit now and then.

Maybe SM wasn't the best series to try that, it was pretty lethargic battle wise. They just barely put in the effort for Ash's trials then they won't bother with Team Rocket of all things. I kinda hope SS tries that dynamic again but actually plays it out effectively.

Why should we even care if Team Rocket is gonna fail. I think them getting a Z Ring and Z Crystal came in the wrong series and could have been done in XY because they might have more of a reason of using the Z Crystal then just trying to steal Pikachu. I rooted for Jessie during her Showcases because I thought they were creativity and fun. But without this I care much less for Team Rocket because there nothing to work for.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Maybe this is from my side of hating SM with a passion but I feel the characters are nothing special. It is more they are just over done due to the style of the SM series and if it was done in like DP ( for example) it would be very forced. Again not trying to let my dislike for SM get in the way but it just seems everyone has an in your face personality which would feel weird in a series more like the older ones.
I just mean that they feel more like people than other regions in that they actually have personalities. Sure, the protagonists had personalities in previous regions, but the characters of the day in this region feel more human than the endless stream of generic nice people from before. Don't need the exaggeration that's in SM, just the basic rounding of character traits.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I just mean that they feel more like people than other regions in that they actually have personalities. Sure, the protagonists had personalities in previous regions, but the characters of the day in this region feel more human than the endless stream of generic nice people from before. Don't need the exaggeration that's in SM, just the basic rounding of character traits.

Could be due to the fact they have less going on so the personality just seems more detailed. Like prior we had the region itself while SM for the most part focuses on one island and the school. Though it's hard to say unless they do another series where Ash doesn't travel (please don't) to compare.

DatsRight

I think it's that SM does more to be personality driven, more spontaneous plot lines which the protagonists move things along themselves instead of formula or goal tournaments deciding every step they take for them.

I get people wanting the return of a more focused plot, but I don't think this direction helps in moderation, as in to help give the cast that extra bit of vibrancy and agency, especially in fillers which were often monotonous as they come in previous series.

Also like them to keep developing on SM's chemistry focus, BW and XY felt a bit bland due to Ash not really bouncing off of everyone great, while here he helps play of a lot of characters' personalities. SS should also focus on other character dynamics as well though, like the companions between themselves and TR with the twerps.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I hope we get more fresh goals again like SM for the girl(s). Cooking, water balloons, etc aren’t the most interesting things but they are still new compared to doing another type master or contest/contest ripoff goal. Plus goals like the SM girls have show that not everyone has to do the same thing. It’s called diversity, son!

Kintaro

Banned
I hope we get more fresh goals again like SM for the girl(s). Cooking, water balloons, etc aren’t the most interesting things but they are still new compared to doing another type master or contest/contest ripoff goal. Plus goals like the SM girls have show that not everyone has to do the same thing. It’s called diversity, son!

And those only worked because we have 3 girls this saga and a slice of life story. If they go back to one traditional female lead again, no way is "cooking" or "making bubbles" going to be interesting for 3 years.

DatsRight

I just hope they put better agency and substance into them. Sometimes I feel like the non-battle goals are just there because they don't want to write as many battles any more, especially since a lot of them just end up having no brainer battles like Team Rocket in their episodes more often than developing said goals.

Cooking for example is pretty much just normal cooking. It needs flair, it needs to tie into their trainer role and personality development (which is odd because plenty of COTDs done this). There's no major challenges or new progression points to be made with how it is, thus people being kind of apathetic with it. A shame really as cooking comes up a lot with the third wheel companions and seeing more cases they put their Pokemon's agency into it or get some sort of career opportunities from it could do a lot extra for that detail.

Sophocles' tech role and racing was kind of arbitrary though I actually didn't mind that one as much since it was applied to some sort of character arc and allowed Sophocles to get some agency as a trainer, plus you know, the episodes with boy trio tended to be awesome. Shame he only really done two proper competitions with Vikavolt though, even just another Chajabug themed activity against Horacio in Ultra Adventures could have given it a stronger ongoing presence.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
BW tried to be like the OS, XY felt like some weird hybrid of AG and DP combined into one series, and now SM is slice of life. So Gen 8 could be anything.

DatsRight

Some things from BW-SM have carried over however. SM clearly capitalised on the moderate formula breaks BW started like making Team Rocket just regulars instead of full time characters, along with the non-battler roles XY had the primordial stages of (even if they're still struggling to develop on those over just 'battling but lamer and less character relevant').

It's clear little things each series play into the next one finding more of an identity for itself, especially with each rule from the older series they're allowed to break.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I hope the Shield and Sword saga tones down the comedy and becomes more battle-oriented like AG was, but I don't want it to go overboard like XY&Z did. On that note, I think Satoshi needs a recurring rival in the next saga, someone who he'll interact with more than he has with Gladio.

Kintaro

Banned
The irony of it all is AG was just as focused on battling as DP/XY were, it just seemed less obvious because AG still had a lot of carry-over formula from the OS of filler between the Gyms.

DatsRight

I wonder though. Besides the obvious 'Ash can't win a league' stipulation, what formula from the 'classic era' hasn't been broken or moderated by now?

Kintaro

Banned
The only big one is of course the female companion doing Gyms (or whatever the main quest is in the games), but of course that'll never happen as long as Ash is around.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
The only big one is of course the female companion doing Gyms (or whatever the main quest is in the games), but of course that'll never happen as long as Ash is around.
Yup

Kintaro

Banned
And also Team Rocket leaving the anime permanantly, but if that were going to happen it probably would have been during BW.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
And also Team Rocket leaving the anime permanantly, but if that were going to happen it probably would have been during BW.
Likely and i did like their early bw personality....ok they are not that lol old school TRio from os era.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
BW might have been a good sendoff for the organization, but not really for the TRio, since they didn't really have any of their goofy personalities or softer sides.

DatsRight

BW might have been a good sendoff for the organization, but not really for the TRio, since they didn't really have any of their goofy personalities or softer sides.

Not during the point they WANTED to send them off anyway (Operation Tempest). While it was nice to see them finally get Giovanni's respect by saving him, the Trio not leaving with a comical song and dance just seems so wrong. DA MIGHT have been a better more open ended finale for them, having had a few 'classic' face offs where the twerps and TR still had a funny dynamic and then them leaving on a somewhat pitiful but motivating note, lamenting that they're not in top shape anymore, but one day they'll come back stronger than ever and then, THEN they'll get Pikachu for sure ("Wooooobuffet..."). That was a pretty good approach for the Trio to depart as main characters but still have an opening to return as guests at any point like Brock and Misty have. But alas XY needed its plot device antagonists nearly full time again.

Yankees4life

RONALDO!!!
Has anyone heard of any recent news since the big reveal? Seems odd that we haven't had any leaks or news since then

Status
Not open for further replies.