• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Ash is the player character surrogate, so why don't he get good?

tsunamimijumaru

Feeling pretty hyped about Gen 8 and now just can't wait for Gen 8 to be over with.

Hoping Ash catches Grookey and Sobble.

What do you guys think the starters move pools will be like? And if they get secondary types upon evolution what do you think they'll be?!

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
- A new artstyle. I adore SM, but it suits the setting perfectly. I'm not sure it would suit Galar.
- Steampunk setting (which is kind of why I don't think SM animation would fit in)
- Punk/hipster main girl (not optimistic given the
- Depth to characters and backstories, as well as more of a focus on companions, interactions between them and well-rounded teams (if not full).
- As it appears we have gyms again, I hope that we don't go back to generic paths/mountains/forests again.
- Female PC to actually appear as main companion (as Ash is male companion always and Leaf/Hilda/Rosa/Moon were robbed).
- For Clemont/Sophocles to return and interact with the inevitable steam engineer companion
- Miyazaki to let someone else take the musical reins and not reuse the same themes over and over again. Game themes are fine to use though, I understand it's an advertisement.
- The Pokemon to have personalities and development.
- Engaging story outside of beat the gyms and bottle the league.
- Gym leaders not to be a joke!

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Wall of text incoming:

-Artstyle being similiar to M21, maybe a bit sharper and make Ash look a bit more mature. Also a different colour for his outfit this time. I like the clothing of the male protagonist in Sword&Shield.
-Ash getting Grookey and maybe Sobble.
-The female lead being the female protagonist. Scorbunny as the starter, maybe taking the Piplup status and frequently going out of the it's Pokeball.
-A well thought out goal for her. Bring back contest if necessary even if the games don't have them. I mean XY also never had showcases, so please!
-Also full teams for everyone. Make the female lead getting a Turtwig from an egg later on.
-The third on the cast being somebody which argues with Ash during the series, but become closer friends. Would add dynamic to the trio.
-Frequent battles and training sessions.
-Evil team already appearing early on by episode 10 or so and appearing every 15 or so episodes.
-Make arcs! Not those tiny ones or arcs where they travel through an arc of a region. I mean real story arcs contributing to the climax. These can be three, four or even five episodes long. Better than some nonsense (filler-) episodes.
-If filler are unavoidable: Either focus on the characters by bringing up episodic subplots or answer unanswered questions to things which aren't that important.
- I want a good pacing. Gyms return and the series could last four years long this time, so make the first gym happen around episode 15-20 as an example and fill character focus episodes, captures, episodes about the female leads goal etc. evenly in.
-Have more character substories or traits for not only humans but also Pokemon. One example would be if we get new Eeveelutions and Ash plus the new girl catching Eevees: An Eevee has a shiny Eevee as his little sister and bad people wanting to capture the shiny Eevee for money. The shiny Eevee is too shy and afraid, the brother is serious overprotective. And build up a backstory around that.
-A good rival which pushes Ash into his limites. More than Paul, Gary, Alain and the others.

D

Deleted member 384931

ATM I'd love to see Ash get all 3 starters. Their evolutions might change this though.

No that's Pikachu, Ash however is stuck with him by association. Like Batman and Robin.

It is kinda sad they still use Ash, because other anime series change their main character

dman_dustin

Based on 7th generation anime has been: No, to the idea that Ash takes a backseat.......ew.....
I have bold prediction (Based on a theory video):

Someone said that Pokemon battles will be more televised, possibly including an audience reaction that could affect your Pokemon or your opponent's Pokemon, and that might be the new battle gimmick of this generation.

What if this could lead into Ash's final series. Because let's face if 7th generation is his last, it would be the worst disservice they could ever do to the character, and no matter what happens in the hypothetical league, I would never forgive them.

But let's say Ash will stay on for one more series. What better way to end Ash's journey, as Ash develops an actual fanbase throughout the region, culminating in an epic Pokemon battle, where Ash's fans boost Ash's Pokemon, and he ends up winning the champion, which results in Ash winning the league, and whatever possible tie up conclusion with his story and Pokemon.

That would be ideal, if they have to retire Ash. Give him one final generation, make sure he is properly displayed for the world to see, and give him a final satisfying conclusion. Don't let 7th generation be the end of Ash, I would loathe that idea so much.

In which case, why not give him ALL the starters and finally give Ash three fully evolved starters (in before the final evolutions look horrendously awful, LMAO), give him two other powerful Pokemon as well, and finally give Ash the win he deserves, and then if they must (and I would honestly, if the series was developed properly, Ash's Pokemon were developed properly (AKA not held back), and there was one giant tournament for Ash to use ALL of his Pokemon (that he has access to) and bring back a LOT of old characters.

However this all depends on HOW the games go, and the theory could be wrong, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. If Ash has to be retired, this is the only way they can do it, that would be satisfying to me, is if they properly develop a series with Ash retiring in mind, give him powerful fully evolved Pokemon (obviously not a Raichu, obviously), develop them properly, a big tournament after the league where Ash uses ALL of his Pokemon (they all get wins), and they can retire Ash, and I'll be accepting it with the final message: I am on my way to becoming a Pokemon master (with a shot of all his Pokemon and friends behind him)

I just fear, Ash is just going to get an unsatisfying win (based on the overall series) in a league or a change of mind (due to a loss), and then Ash is just going to drop off the face of the anime, and I'll be so pissed about it. I'm already pissed about how they're treating him in 7th generation.

World Turtle

I think there is a possibility Ash won't get Scorbunny. EDIT: Or any Fire type for that matter.

He didn't get a Grass type at all in Kalos (starter or alternate) nor Water in Alola. So maybe in Galar they'll skip giving him a Fire type completely?

Granted, Scorbunny seems like an Ash Pokemon since he was shown to be rather speedy. We'll see what they do I guess.

Last edited:

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
We'll just have to see what new information about the region they'll reveal. I think ash's design for this region might be slightly more covered up because it's implied galar is a bit colder than other regions, from what I could tell

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Combine the best aspects of the past two sagas.

Animation style and characterization from Alola.

Pacing and action from XY&Z

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I ask for:

- Captures
- Evolutions
- Full teams
- Good pacing and plot
- No releases
- Battles
- No flanderization
- Lore

That's it.

Evanibble

-I'd like to see Ash and co. travel again. The way SM is currently written, while I do think it's fine, is pretty static.
-The pacing should be fixed.
-I hope Ash's team sees some real development this next gen. Sort of like in DP and XY. I like his SM team, for the most part, but they haven't been utilized to the best of their abilities.
-I'd like to see Ash catch a new type. Like psychic, or steel (if he doesn't catch Meltan, that is).
-Engaging companions, at least more than SM. I get that there's so many of them this time around, but they also weren't dealt with in the best way.
-We'll have to see how the Alola League turns out, but I think it'd be cool for Ash to win a league this time. Or to make his league journey more engaging and interesting, in a way that DP's was.
-Speaking of which, a challenging rival would be great.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
It is kinda sad they still use Ash, because other anime series change their main character

I don't think any of us are ever going to figure out why they won't replace him, while in an ironic way it keeps the anime unique because they won't, but at the same time he's getting really stale.

I wish they'd put him in a mentor role like Brock was to him, but he needs to win a league first so that way his "Student" could be the one earning badges and trying to compete in a league, then possibly fight Ash afterwards.

I'm not going to fault Sun and Moon for trying something different, problem is they went abit to far with some of the things they tried, in more area's than others.

Now on this issue of the starters, I want to wait and see their evo's before making predictions.

Kintaro

Banned
I do agree we're probably going back down to a trio again. Ash, new girl, and a new male companion. Don't see another group of 4 after XY, and SM had a large cast due to staying in one place. That being said the new female protagonist may not even be in the anime, so I don't see the point on expecting her to be there. The writers ignore more female leads from the games than they don't, and we've only had 3 of them become main characters (May/Dawn/Serena), while the rest either don't appear at all (Leaf/Hilda/Rosa/SM female lead), or just in one-off specials or arcs (Kris and Lyra).

Judging by her design I'm not sure she's marketable enough for a main character role, but then again who knows. Her brown hair might be too similar to May's, imo, most of the main girls have unique hair colors to set them apart.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I think there is a possibility Ash won't get Scorbunny. EDIT: Or any Fire type for that matter.

He didn't get a Grass type at all in Kalos (starter or alternate) nor Water in Alola. So maybe in Galar they'll skip giving him a Fire type completely?

Granted, Scorbunny seems like an Ash Pokemon since he was shown to be rather speedy. We'll see what they do I guess.

Ash went through Hoenn with only Treecko, and Kalos with only Froakie.

He's never gone with just the fire starter, but again I don't want to jump the gun.

JC317

Based on 7th generation anime has been: No, to the idea that Ash takes a backseat.......ew.....
I have bold prediction (Based on a theory video):

Someone said that Pokemon battles will be more televised, possibly including an audience reaction that could affect your Pokemon or your opponent's Pokemon, and that might be the new battle gimmick of this generation.

What if this could lead into Ash's final series. Because let's face if 7th generation is his last, it would be the worst disservice they could ever do to the character, and no matter what happens in the hypothetical league, I would never forgive them.

But let's say Ash will stay on for one more series. What better way to end Ash's journey, as Ash develops an actual fanbase throughout the region, culminating in an epic Pokemon battle, where Ash's fans boost Ash's Pokemon, and he ends up winning the champion, which results in Ash winning the league, and whatever possible tie up conclusion with his story and Pokemon.

That would be ideal, if they have to retire Ash. Give him one final generation, make sure he is properly displayed for the world to see, and give him a final satisfying conclusion. Don't let 7th generation be the end of Ash, I would loathe that idea so much.

In which case, why not give him ALL the starters and finally give Ash three fully evolved starters (in before the final evolutions look horrendously awful, LMAO), give him two other powerful Pokemon as well, and finally give Ash the win he deserves, and then if they must (and I would honestly, if the series was developed properly, Ash's Pokemon were developed properly (AKA not held back), and there was one giant tournament for Ash to use ALL of his Pokemon (that he has access to) and bring back a LOT of old characters.

However this all depends on HOW the games go, and the theory could be wrong, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. If Ash has to be retired, this is the only way they can do it, that would be satisfying to me, is if they properly develop a series with Ash retiring in mind, give him powerful fully evolved Pokemon (obviously not a Raichu, obviously), develop them properly, a big tournament after the league where Ash uses ALL of his Pokemon (they all get wins), and they can retire Ash, and I'll be accepting it with the final message: I am on my way to becoming a Pokemon master (with a shot of all his Pokemon and friends behind him)

I just fear, Ash is just going to get an unsatisfying win (based on the overall series) in a league or a change of mind (due to a loss), and then Ash is just going to drop off the face of the anime, and I'll be so pissed about it. I'm already pissed about how they're treating him in 7th generation.

Is it the theory video from Gnoggin? I really like the idea that even gym battles for the Galar Region will be televised like the tournaments in the anime, it would be XY/XYZ executed even better as it would give a better reason for people to look up to Ash.

World Turtle

Ash went through Hoenn with only Treecko, and Kalos with only Froakie.

He's never gone with just the fire starter, but again I don't want to jump the gun.

No I mean how he didn't get a Grass type (Chespin, Gogoat, Phantump) at all in Kalos or a Water Type in Alola (Popplio, Wimpod, etc.).

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Hmm, Hmmm, Hmmm.

It would be neat to have Ash fully take a backseat but it seems unlikely. Too bad they already used up the "Knight in Shining Armor" characterization in XY.

Starters, let's see...

The real pattern is 3 3 1 2 3 1 2, since Johto is in fact a separate region.

Scorbunny, as basically everyone has said, screams Ash.

They can give the girl the other two. It'd be kinda neat seeing the female protagonist get two starters for once.

The region is basically designed for copious Aegislash, Gardevoir and Gallade cameos, perhaps Pawniard and Bisharp as well.

Eh

In all seriousness the main character is rarely the most interesting of the core protagonists in most ongoing series. Who prefers Harry to Ron or Herimoine? Is Ben 10 a better character than Gwen or Kevin? Most people like Han or Leia more than Luke Skywalker. Ash is the same really, he isn't as interesting as say Brock or Misty but he doesn't really need to be.
Guess I'm not most people then, considering I thought Ben and Luke were the better characters. And the best Hogwarts student is Luna, so none of the main three.

Also, thanks to @Nerdy McNerdface I will be abbreviating this region as SWSH so I can just pronounce it like "swish" and also not confuse it with Soul Silver.

Kintaro

Banned
OS Ash = rookie Ash
AG Ash = slightly more experienced Ash
DP Ash = experience/mature Ash
BW Ash = rebooted Ash
XY Ash = Knight in shining armor/most mature Ash
SM Ash = Silly Ash but fits the tone

What can they do with Ash this time?

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
maybe they'll have him be a mix of XY and SM ash, where they actually have him keep his development from past series

Status
Not open for further replies.