• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight Starlight

I do agree we're probably going back down to a trio again. Ash, new girl, and a new male companion. Don't see another group of 4 after XY, and SM had a large cast due to staying in one place. That being said the new female protagonist may not even be in the anime, so I don't see the point on expecting her to be there. The writers ignore more female leads from the games than they don't, and we've only had 3 of them become main characters (May/Dawn/Serena), while the rest either don't appear at all (Leaf/Hilda/Rosa/SM female lead), or just in one-off specials or arcs (Kris and Lyra).

Lyra appear on her Debut appearance on DP along with Khoury and Kris/ Marina( which I prefer Marina), she appeared on Pokemon Chronicles . The writers just wants to experiment with different pokegirls travel with Ash and not using too many of the player girls if Lyra and Marina on generation 2 will do some help on that I will see Marina travel as Ash's companion and while Layra would have been playing as Ash's first female rival and generation 2 if things were been handled in that direction.

Moonlight Starlight

If TR can't be ditched completely, at least make them like they were in BW or have Ash contend with another villain(s) in addition to them.
I'll be happy with that if they do that for a team rocket again and have a different Trio group in but not as villains that's someone we haven't heard from along time in the generations like maybe......... the Invincible Brothers we haven't heard from a long time they would do some good not doing the same stuff like Team Rocket pairing in every plot episode or not blasting off in the air and not doing no machinery inventions like Team Rocket which that's only Team Rocket's thing. I know some you was saying no because they are annoying but they will help keep things different and not a pair and a whole lot of episodes I keep things different I like Team Rocket do things like they did back on BW.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
No I mean how he didn't get a Grass type (Chespin, Gogoat, Phantump) at all in Kalos or a Water Type in Alola (Popplio, Wimpod, etc.).

I know he caught Torkoal in hoenn, but when you consider how rarely it was even seen or used in battles (and then there is the league...) Ash didn't technically need it.

Heck he oaked it along with Jason after the league and pretty much went through the second half of the AG saga without a fire type on his main team as well.

Kintaro

Banned
Everything from the game reveal confirming Gyms makes it obvious it's going to be a more traditional saga. It's probably going to wind up being AG/DP/XY 4.0 or something along those lines.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I do agree we're probably going back down to a trio again. Ash, new girl, and a new male companion. Don't see another group of 4 after XY, and SM had a large cast due to staying in one place. That being said the new female protagonist may not even be in the anime, so I don't see the point on expecting her to be there. The writers ignore more female leads from the games than they don't, and we've only had 3 of them become main characters (May/Dawn/Serena), while the rest either don't appear at all (Leaf/Hilda/Rosa/SM female lead), or just in one-off specials or arcs (Kris and Lyra).

Judging by her design I'm not sure she's marketable enough for a main character role, but then again who knows. Her brown hair might be too similar to May's, imo, most of the main girls have unique hair colors to set them apart.
I'm hoping they go with another non playable character again, like Lillie in SM, maybe she could be a princess from the royal family

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Regarding a possible goal for the female character the trailer did show the player in an outfit similar to a soccer uniform so something related to that could be possible. At the very least it could be more interesting than the missed opportunity that was Showcases...

Pokemon Power

Obviously, when the new season begins this fall in Japan, Ash and Pikachu are going to Galar! New set of clothes for Ash, some new traveling companions, all of his Pokemon from Alola staying in Oak's lab, the Team Rocket quartet following them with Jessie and James catching new Pokemon to use, you know the drill. I'm kinda wishing though that James retrieves his Mime Jr., it was kinda his answer to Jessie's Wobbuffet, and it's been staying at Team Rocket headquarters for the last three generations. I think it's time it came back.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I want Ash to catch Grookey.. I think that suits him better than Scorbunny. It would be heartwarming to see Lycanroc stay... but I know that isn't possible. I hope there's another out of the ball Pokémon to accompany Pikachu aside from Ash's friends' Pokémon. I'm hoping for 1-2 people accompanying Ash during his journey but it'll be cool if we finally get traveling companions that switches every few episodes or it just being Ash and Pikachu and they meet different people every episode (but I know that wouldn't work.) :D Lets hope they bring back fingerless gloves for Ash and I really want them to keep the simple SM style but keep it more polished this time.

Pokemon Power

- I want a good pacing. Gyms return and the series could last four years long this time, so make the first gym happen around episode 15-20 as an example and fill character focus episodes, captures, episodes about the female leads goal etc. evenly in.
Hate to tell you, but I think they're gonna stick with it being three years long, as has been the case with the last three generations.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
I feel like all the starters could fit him, and would be interesting if we got something different from the usual confident starter where they have complete confidence in their abilities, and instead we got the shy sobble for one of ash's pokemon. dunno though

Master Pikachu 11

Welp i hope they try something new like sun & moon but but yeah that what likely happen, Idk what so exciting about something predictable and repetitive
And i can say the female protagonist will be sidelines since there no contest like goal and anime can't handle the right goal for poke girl right after May, dawn and Iris
I wouldn’t be surprised if the next poke girl was a gym leader instead of the playable female character.

World Turtle

I'm hoping they go with another non playable character again, like Lillie in SM, maybe she could be a princess from the royal family

The girl being of wealthy status works with an idea I have. Because of the gyms being more like stadiums and the soccer/football outfit the player is seen wearing in one scene I have this idea that the girl acts as Ash's Owner or Manager of him and his team. The role of Third Wheel is taken over by her butler/assistant who makes the food and what not.

She and a friend have this bet that the trainer they pick will beat the other's pick at the league.

johno1995

The girl being of wealthy status works with an idea I have. Because of the gyms being more like stadiums and the soccer/football outfit the player is seen wearing in one scene I have this idea that the girl acts as Ash's Owner or Manager of him and his team. The role of Third Wheel is taken over by her butler/assistant who makes the food and what not.

She and a friend have this bet that the trainer they pick will beat the other's pick at the league.

I really love this idea. I think it'd be super fun and have an interesting dynamic.

Ash traveling with any sort of royalty or wealthy status would be fun, especially if he keeps his fun and dynamic SM personality. It'd make for some interesting conflicts within the group as well as some great development as the two progress together throughout the journey.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Oh I can see Ash will all 3 Starters honestly. But i have a feeling he will get 2 only: Grookey & Sobble. It feels like they are doing this pattern of Ash only getting 2 of the 3 Grass-Fire-Water typing per region since Gen 6:

Kalos - Water(Froakie/Frogadier/Greninja) & Fire(Fletchinder/Talonflame)

Alola - Grass(Rowlet) & Fire(Litten/Torracat)

Galaar - Grass(Grookey) & Water(Sobble)

But really i can him with all 3 and the bunny can stay as it is. The other 2 can evolve all the way.:D

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I just hope that Sword and Shield brings a really good series like in the ilk of XY/XY(Z) and DP, only then probably I'll get interested in the Pokemon anime once again. Once a big and passionate Pokemon anime fan, now-a-days I barely even care about the Pokemon anime, pretty much due to the big disappointment the SM series is bringing to me (also the fact that I've gotten into several other mainstream anime now is another reason too). Which are the reasons you guys barely see me posting in this section these days.

I still do keep myself updated on the Pokemon anime by watching every upcoming episode that airs on Sundays, but.....just to keep my long-term loyalty to the Pokemon franchise, that's all.

Only if Sword and Shield can bring a series that follows a deep and strong plot, has an Ash who is very strongly focused on his goal and very determined, has companions who goes through some significant and great amount of characterization and catches a good variety of Pokemon in their team who receive proper amount of spotlight, has some intense and quality Pokemon battles, has well-written and fleshed out villainous arcs, has a well-paced and memorable League, then I'll become interested in the Pokemon anime once again, and start posting in this section regularly I used to do before. :)

Otherwise, not.

Last edited:

MegaSalamence05

Now with this new gen, and how its presented I think its intriguing in the instance on how it would be developed.

My theory is dependent on an idea, with a different dynamic.

Two protagonists: Ash and the female protagonist starting at different points but not together.

Like episodes focusing on Ash one week and the Female another week. 2 journeys, two different view points. Then when the main conflict occurs they meet up. Eliminate the group dynamic and try something new, go full character driven stories, instead of fleshing out multiple characters. Only do 2.

Ash would get 2 of the starters being Grookey and Sobble

The female gets Scorbunny
--------
When they approach new cities or something along lines, do arcs with the gym leaders similar to Korinna in XY

Flesh out each individual gym leader, the elite four and the champion. With individual training arcs. For both trainers trained in two different ways by each individual. This way its brand new and no one would expect this dynamic as I think this is the reason why they went this route for the Sun and Moon movies as a testing ground for characters you don't know.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
In my opinion, I don't think that Scorbunny will go to the female companion unless they're super athletic and sporty.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Didn’t we just have a female lead who was wealthy? However we need Lillie in gen 8, make it happen writers

Status
Not open for further replies.