1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by playerking, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Forget Ash's, I'm more curious of the TRio's.

I hope they get to keep it cause they barely got to even use it, and they need some counter to Dynamax.... which Ash and friends will unfairly use against them much like z-moves

Kawaii Emolga likes this.
  2. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

Looking at Nessa for a little bit while thinking. I think they could easily pass her off as the same age as you'd expect Kiawe and Brock, my only issue is whether they would add a more elderly girl to Ash's team if they were to even attempt to do it.

Then again I want to see more non gym leader characters, because I'm not entirely sure how I feel about a gym leader being on Ash's team.

Clemont had a reason, Iris was nothing, Cilan had a reason as well.

I cannot imagine what Nessa's reason would be that would allow her to join.

So I guess my point is, age-wise I could see how she could be part of Ash's team but otherwise I'm not sure I see it. I want to see more characters, maybe they make more sense.

3. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Another year of wasting my life ಠ_ಠ

I'm not one to shy away from making a response to my fellow users...
    I have a feeling that if it exists, that it might just have a cool enough design to work... of course it would mean Ash would have to likely miss out on the regional bird for the 2nd straight region in a row, but well, we have no clue if it's Corviknight or something else entirely XD
    Ash has missed out on owning an Eevee soo many times, I have absolutely no reason to think he'll ever get one for promotional purposes. Aipom (poor thing) and Gligar were such nice add on's when it seemed Ash was strictly gonna market the new gen Pokemon, albeit they did eventually evolve into those regional variants. Although Aipom evolved under Dawn's care... and yes, I know how you feel about DP in general ^^'
    The real problem with Alolan forms is, while aesthetically different, they were by all intensive purposes still Kanto Pokemon. So much so, that GameFreak pretty much treated them as Kanto Pokemon. And because Ash is only allowed to promote the current Gen Pokemon, I gave up on him ever owning an Alolan form Pokemon. That being said, Sandslash would have been a welcomed addition not just from the Steel typing, but because Ash's only Ice type currently owned is Glalie.
    The emphasis on Z-moves and the bounds with Pokemon, alongside the idea of owning a special Bracelet (Why GF calls it a Ring, I have no clue) to use them, kinda makes it hard to believe that he'll just give'em up to never use again on his journey. We know for gaming purposes he has to, but from an anime standpoint, it feels awfully forced no matter the route they take to make him give up what was essentially his badges for the region.

Kawaii Emolga and janejane6178 like this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

It certainly looks mischievous, but I'd rather see the Rocket-dan get it than see it become the new Eipam. Something about its color scheme reminds me of poison or venom, which I often associate with the Rocket-dan trio for some reason.

AvatarKorrina and Kawaii Emolga like this.
  5. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

So I've noticed that Wooloo is rapidly becoming a fan favorite. Not sure if Ash will catch one but I'm certain it will end up on the main cast. Might go to the Pokegirl

Kawaii Emolga and janejane6178 like this.
  6. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Celestine VI

I checked when the SM anime got its first sneak peek, and it was apparently September 12th, 2016 (CoroCoro leak). So, we've got 3 months of wild speculations left for this thread. After which point the theorizing will only become slightly less crazy.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  7. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

Nessa's design might be "too adult" for the anime, they did censor Olivia's clothes a bit. All Nessa is wearing is a small tight half shirt and very short shorts. It's actually ridiculous how fanservice the female character designs have gotten from GameFreak themselves. Like sure this is clothes you see some girls wearing in real life, but this is still a kids game.

Kawaii Emolga and Redstar45 like this.
  8. Yamper is really cute and its ability is really creative too, i can see it become one of Ash or his travel friends Pokemon but could ended up as a Pokemon of the day as well...

As much as i like Impidimp and want it to be main cast, i feel like he will end up as some troublesome Pokemon of the day. I saw someone said it could be TR Pokemon, hmmm...if that's the case, i will be a bit happy, even it's not a hero side...(and i have to see it blast off many episodes!? nooooo!!!)

Why i feel like the evil team grunt in Galar will use Impidimp a lot...

Kawaii Emolga, Leonhart and Redstar45 like this.
  9. Master Pikachu 11

Master Pikachu 11 Well-Known Member

Here is why I think Corviknight is the regional bird, back when sun and moon first came out with their trailers they started out introducing the brand new Pokémon such as Grubbin for example well along with Grubbin, they also introduced Pikipeck which ended up being the regional bird and it was the first bird Pokémon that they introduced just how Corviknight was the first bird that was introduced in this gen. Also since Galar is mostly a region about industrial, it would make sense for the regional bird to be a part steel type and it goes with the setting like Toucannon goes with the Alola tropical setting. I know your probably thinking that it wouldn’t make sense for the regional bird to be a possible 1 stage Pokémon, but maybe Game freak has decided to change things up and make the regional bird a one stage Pokémon.

10. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Its popularity astounds me since it's not even that cute from my perspective and it's a Normal-type, which means that its moveset probably won't be that varied anyway. If someone does capture it, I think it'll probably be a traveling companion as opposed to Satoshi.

Zoruagible likes this.
  11. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

That's what I think will happen. And it would probably stay unevolved in order to keep selling plushies

12. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

I could see Yamper being on the girl’s team. It’s cute, fitting, and also has the potential to be a surprise powerhouse on her team, if the evolution rumors are anything to go by.

Kawaii Emolga and Redstar45 like this.
  13. Ash and Wooloo? Which Pokemon was the last pure normal type Ash got...? i don't hate the idea and fans seem to like it but don't get mad if it end up as a Pokemon of the day, i can already see how too, how about Ash and friends come across the Wooloo farm and then TR try to steal them all for making money from Wooloo fur and then Ash save the day and done-done!

Also Ash seem to only catch Pokemon that love to battle or show some kind of promise in it skill, because of that if he just come across Wooloo which said in the lore that it don't like conflict, don't see what will make Ash want to catch one.

14. ShadowForce720

ShadowForce720 Well-Known Member

You have to keep in mind that while it's true that most Wooloo like to avoid conflict that doesn't mean that all Wooloo are going to be like that, if Ash were to get a Wooloo it would probably be a case of where he comes across one that really likes to battle, heck maybe it will be a situation similar to Misty's Corsola where it's a lot more aggressive then other members of it's kind and it winds up causing trouble for the other Wooloo.

15. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

Reminder that the last game had a perpetually shirtless, rather muscular guy in it who also made it into the anime, completely untouched, as a main character. I honestly do not see how Rurina's swimsuit is any worse.

16. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

A guy walking around shirtless is a lot different than Nessa, wearing what is pretty much a swimsuit in every episode, a short tank top and small shorts. None of the previous main girls had outfits like that they wore in every episode.

17. DuquÊ?

DuquÊ? Too lazy to pick a pic

Cilan himself used perpetually a waiter outfit, so I don't see the problem. They can adapt her design to use men's shorts or similar. Nessa sure have a clean and yet a good enough design to be a main character, but her style looks similar to Korrina: tomboy and cool, but still feminine. Probably a temp companion, if they ever go with that route. I like she actually looks serious and stoic, though.

I'm mostly curious about what'll be the next art style. will they back to pre-Alola style or just go for a totally different art again?

It depends on their dynamics. For example, even if a movie character, Risa from movie 21 worked very well with Ash, probably because she was displayed as flaw and quirky instead mature and wise. I'm not against Ash have an older girl as a companion, since they don't make her the non nonsense guy.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  18. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

I expect something of a middle ground. Like, something similarly animation-friendly like what Sun & Moon has, but perhaps a bit sharper-looking and less... comedic? Though tbh I always felt that the new characters in Sun & Moon always looked fine. The problem with the style was just that certain old characters looked off, and part of that might just be the fact that they looked different than we're used to. I'm actually kind of curious, if someone who has never watched anything Pokémon-related were to see images from Sun & Moon... and if said someone was someone who actually had an interest in the art-design of cartoons which probably already restricted things so much that this hypothetical person may not even exist... would they even be able to tell the old characters and the new apart? Like, would they think there was anything wrong with Satoshi's design?

19. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

There can be more companion-appropriate Gym Leaders yet to be revealed. We only know two of them at this point.

Kawaii Emolga and KenzeyEevee like this.
  20. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

I sure hope they don't change her outfit, it was stupid when they did it to Olivia and it'll be stupid now. If guys are allowed to run around shirtless then why are girls not allowed to show off a bit of skin and appeal to the opposite sex? Seems unfairly biased

Ash will unfortunately not get it, it's an Electric type. Doesn't even have a secondary type to fall back on, sure it could when it evolves but Yamper looks like the type of Pokemon they'll hold off evolving as long as possible but not permanently
    I'd love to see it with James or a companion