• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Not unless they give Scorsbunny a cool, marketable evolution. Which I have a feeling will be the case.
I don't know if I can see GF playing favorites with the Fire starter for two generations in a row, though.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Gen 7: Yokai Watch
Gen 8: Inazuma Eleven (I'll nickname my scorbunny Goenji)

It looks like we could have a battle/gyms/journey/action series again. Or at least I hope so. The trailer made the games' graphics look really neat.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I kinda feel like the player characters will get a pass again.
A bit of a conspiracy theory but whenever the player character has light skin, brown eyes and hair they don't get in lol (Leaf, Hilda, Hilbert, Rosa, Nate, what's her name from LGPE)
I wouldn't be surprised if this is another Ash and two gym leaders series

Scorbunny is 100% going to be the non-evolving merch mon. Its design reminds me a bit of Chespin, and come on, it's a cute fiery rabbit, there's no way a cute fiery rabbit wasn't going to be a merch mon.

Both look like Chespin to me, I guess that's why I don't like them
But yeah, Scorbunny's totally the Piplup/Chespin/Rowlet of the region.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
A bit of a conspiracy theory but whenever the player character has light skin, brown eyes and hair they don't get in lol (Leaf, Hilda, Hilbert, Rosa, Nate, what's her name from LGPE)

Either gym leaders or if there's another non playable character like Lillie again, which I hope is the case.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC

Doesn't Piplup Rowlet(maybe) and Scorbunny make the same "proud" pose?

dman_dustin

If your argument is that SUMO made up for Kalos not having a Grass type, then Ash is deffo gonna have Sobble to make up for him not having a Water type in Alola. This argument works both ways :).
I meant in context of Chespin being poorly treated because it was on Clemont's team.

Also: Ash ususally doesn't get the cutest starter if he doesn't get all three (Torchic went to May, Piplup went to Dawn, Chespin to Clemont and Popplio to Lana), so that potentially rules out Scorbunny for him, since that one looks the cutest.
Hmm. I don't know why you think Scorbunny is the cutest. Don't get me wrong, fire bunny all the way, but I'd say objectively Sobble and Grookey have more going for being "cuter"

Sobble is a shy Pokemon, and that timid personality enhances that cutness factor, as it gives it an adorable factor.

Grookey looks like a Lemur, and it's stick on its head, feels very reminiscent of it being a female Lemur type Pokemon but of course both genders. But it is reminiscient to a baby girl, I would be surprised if the main Grookey wasn't female in the anime.

Scorbunny on the other hand, has a more wild look about it, it has a bandage over its face.

I mean if you're counterargument is Combusken or Blaziken, sure, but Torchic was the cutest, so it make sense that the girl would get Torchic, but Scorbunny, I don't know compared to the other starters. Feels more like Bunnelby more than Buneary, and Bunnelby went to Clemont, Bunneary went to Dawn.

So I don't know, I can't imagine a female protagonist with Scorbunny since it doesn't look like Buneary, if it was designed more like Buneary than say Bunnelby, I'd agree, but the Bunnelby wild design over the fluffy Bunneary design, feels more like a less cute factor to me.

If he gets all three, i can see Scorbunny being the one that stays unevolved.
Actually Scorbunny I feel is the MOST likely to evolve given that it looks like the most active one. Grookey looks like whatever, and Sobble looks like it would rather just sleep. Again they have such a neutral look, evolution would depend entirely on the evolutions.

Red and Blue

Well with more gyms and battles hopefully they give Ash a full team faster than Alola
I don't know if I can see GF playing favorites with the Fire starter for two generations in a row, though.
Scorbunny appears to be the most well liked out of the three so far. It already is turning out to be a fan favorite

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Pretty sure after XY and SM we're getting another trio again. And I certainly have the feeling that the female protagonist is going to be in the party, which means we would have a DP kind of cast which never happened again since then.

I am betting all my money that Ash gets Grookey (+ maybe Sobbel) and the girl Scorbunny.

dman_dustin

Well with more gyms and battles hopefully they give Ash a full team faster than Alola

Scorbunny appears to be the most well liked out of the three so far. It already is turning out to be a fan favorite

There are definitely people who don't like Scorbunny though, like I mean really don't like. Same with Grookey.

Sobble is literally the only one I haven't seen get "trashed" in regards to opinions, it literally seems like the middle ground more leaning towards positive. In the context of "It's not bad, but it's not the best" kind of mentality rather than "Trash" which is what I've seen Grookey and Scorbunny be referred to "at least more than once"

Then again maybe I'm not looking everywhere.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Welp, my hype for the Gen 8 anime has dwindled. Looks like we're going back to the traveling and challenging the gyms formula.

This is the UK we are talking about, the region itself looks small, want to bet that they will keep the SOL formula, the comedy, while cutting the main cast down and having the travel formula since there isn't much of an excuse to stay put.

dman_dustin

In further discussion to what I said.

Not one of the female reactors I saw to this direct, immediately wanted to go to Scorbunny (they directed their attention more to Sobble, with maybe Scorbunny a 2nd). I legit saw more male reactors wanting Scorbunny than female reactors.

Granted I haven't seen all, and it could just a select few that just so happened to like Sobble more, but still, I would've figured one would react more positively and excitedly to Scorbunny if it truly was geared towards a female audience over Sobble.

Welp, my hype for the Gen 8 anime has dwindled. Looks like we're going back to the traveling and challenging the gyms formula.

Will never understand as whole, why anyone liked Sun and Moon anime. It had its positives sure, but the negatives FAR outweigh the positive considering they clearly had no structure of what to do.

I've seen better shows that stick to a single location, that had far more direction than Sun and Moon.

It was infuriating, and I'm likely going to be unsatisfied by the end of it. I don't even think Incineroar is going to happen, since we all know Decidueye isn't going to happen. And well I mean maybe Lana will get Primarina.

I want structure in Pokemon anime, I want to see them actually working towards some kind of end goal, instead of just tossing an episode after another.

I mean for crying out loud, they completely ruined the whole trial thing. Barely any Totem Pokemon, and the final grand trial was a 1 vs 1, and in my opinion NOT a very good one.

Sword and Shield at least can support a much better structure. Take the positive elements of Sun and Moon, sprinkle the positive elements of the other series, then maybe it'll be a good anime.

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I can't wait for SM anime to be over and to see what SS anime has in the store. But I am also waiting for Pokemon Alola league probably mid 2019.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that Ash will get Scorbunny and Sobble while Grookey goes to the female companion.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I at least see Scorbunny going to Ash. I wouldn’t mind all 3 though

Henry's Journey

Ash will go to the new region, meet the new girl and the other main character (s), challenge gyms, get stalked by Team Rocket, and eventually lose the league again.

The very first post lol and it's looking like you'll be a hater of this new anime? It's looking like some fanboys of SM will really hate SS just like they dislike DP and XY (for some strange reason) judging by some posts in this thread already, it'll be so predictable...

---

YASSS!!! Gyms are back, adventuring is back, so ready for the 8th gen anime :D I'm feeling that HYPE again for XY when I was absolutely burned of BW and the awful Decolora arc, altough Sun & Moon remains good, I'm kind of tired, hopefully it ends on a high note at least! but yeah another classic adventure is coming!! :p

I guess we'll get the first teaser/trailer of the new anime around July or something.

I would hope for Ash to get 2 starters max (preferably 1) but it seems all 3 fit him.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I kind of expected it. With the Galar region being based on the UK and therefore being more urbanized, it would make sense to have the gyms back. Trials seemed like a cultural thing exclusive to Alola anyway.

My only concern is that bringing gyms back will lead to the anime feeling more "safe," like we're just going to go back to three companions traveling around with PotD/CotD fillers, very little character-driven storylines, bland fillers in same-y looking locations, and TR curbstomps, etc. All that good stuff. Because say what you will about the SM anime. It least it takes risks and tries to be different from the other series.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
What is the meaning of swords and shield, last three games names have been due to legendaries
BW- black resembles zekrom and white means reshiram
XY- X is xerneas and Y is yvetal
SM- Sun is solgaleo and moon represents lunala
Swords and shield does it mean two legendaries in form of swords and shield.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The very first post lol and it's looking like you'll be a hater of this new anime? just like some fanboys of SM hate DP and XY, it'll be predictable...
-

YASSS!!! Gyms are back, adventuring is back, so ready for the 8th gen anime :D I'm feeling that HYPE again for XY when I was absolutely burned of BW and the awful Decolora arc, altough Sun & Moon remains good I'm kind of tired, another classic adventure is coming!! :p

I guess we'll get the first teaser/trailer of the new anime around July or something.

I would hope for Ash to get 2 starters max (preferably 1) but it seems all 3 fit him.
It's not hating, it's just the most likely outcome of what will happen throughout the series lol. It's been like this for the past 20 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.