• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Ash's main colors won't change much. His clothes still will be primarily blue (mostly) red and white, maybe darker, and the cap is already part of what make Ash's visual by now.
Couldn't do much about the cap, but made this quick edit and it looks way better
aXqgy7b.png

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The fans work fast.
Kinda reminded me of the Super Crown meme craze a few months ago. Whenever there's a major trend going on, especially involving Nintendo characters, there's bound to have lots of fanarts.

VoltTacklingPika

The style of anime we'll get depends a lot on the atmosphere and themes Sword and Shield will have. Sun and Moon was relaxed with a lot of emphasis on the spiritual and physical connections between nature and Pokemon, hence its anime was also a lot more laid back with a lot of emphasis on spiritual gain rather than material gain. If Sword and Shield is all about adventuring and being the best competitor around, then I would expect the anime will follow suit.

Given this new region seems to be based on the UK, I would be surprised if it wasn't like that. Sports are deeply ingrained in British culture and there's a lot of emphasis on winning and being the best competitor you can be. Whether it's gyms or something equivalent (there are five stadiums on the map, so maybe five big events?), I suspect they'll be a lot more battling this time around, which would be a bit disappointing but hey, I can't have it all my own way.

My only real wish is that they don't return to the old formula. More battles and a stronger emphasis on competition I can live with, but predictable filler involving random characters I care nothing for and "Ash and friends are on their way to Location XYZ Part 7" would turn me off very quickly.

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

I'm not convinced it'll be gyms in the traditional sense. I think there'll be a spin on them. Either way, they'll serve the same function.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
So, Ash will wear red shirt and blue jeans and a backpack that is as big as him xd

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Well if that is his 8th gen design then it is excellant design except for that hat, it is more of a girl hat than hat boys wear.

DatsRight

I admit the aesthetics give a real Gen 6 feel (which makes sense, UK is France's next door neighbour) so we might have essence of XY here and there. I am kinda hoping it's not just a pure return to formula however. SM had some cool ideas they just weren't focused brilliantly at times, and it was nice having a really fresh series in the anime.

As much as I like Lillie I don't think she will stay, unless she appears in SS
After all, the only companions to stay after their generations were Brock and Misty. And still, they were present until gen 4 within remakes, just when Brock left

I had small hopes Lillie would stick around, despite knowing it was unlikely even before the reveal. But yeah, I doubt she's continuing besides a possible cameo. A shame, we will miss you Lillie, in both the games and the anime. D:

As for Serena, I guess they have an opening with that player customisation nod, but since even SM didn't take advantage of it like so many expected, I think that ship may have sailed. She will likely not even be considered unless Gen 8 has contests anyway.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
With gyms returning, I don't think that the SS companions will stay in one place. The traveling formula will most likely return.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I think as of now, Ash will get Grookey, Sobble, or both. I think he'll travel with a guy who will wanna be a big pokemon football player who will get Scorbunny, and then the girl can either get another pokemon or the remaining starter that Ash doesn't get.

I do think the tone of the anime will change to a bit more serious since the region isn't all vacation and sunshine. Plus with gyms being back, hopefully Ash will focus on his team more.

DatsRight

and I couldn't be happier, traveling is one of the aspects that makes this show great

I truthfully liked being able to get attached to a big cast and locale for SM. Truthfully this might be the region I'm most genuinely sad to see the last of. Alola was so damn charming and colourful, and being from the UK myself, Galar can't help but look like a drab downgrade. If it just returns to a by-the-numbers formula with COTD and a less immersive premise, I'll likely just continue missing SM.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Ash is going to travel to, and through, this region. He will be bringing only Pikachu, but catch native Pokemon along the way. He will challenge the gyms and then lose the League, just like old days.

Sounds fun, right? Riiiiiggggght?

Yawn.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Ash is going to travel to, and through, this region. He will be bringing only Pikachu, but catch native Pokemon along the way. He will challenge the gyms and then lose the League, just like old days.

Sounds fun, right? Riiiiiggggght?

Yawn.
The only way they could shake it up is by having the female companion do the gyms and league instead while Ash does a more sportier challenge. I don't think that this will happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.