• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Ash is going to travel to, and through, this region. He will be bringing only Pikachu, but catch native Pokemon along the way. He will challenge the gyms and then lose the League, just like old days.

Sounds fun, right? Riiiiiggggght?

Yawn.
I know you're getting tired of this, me as well. But they're not going to change it and we aren't their targeted audiences. So, it's better to accept the reality, even if it becomes very repetitive at this point.

VoltTacklingPika

Ash is going to travel to, and through, this region. He will be bringing only Pikachu, but catch native Pokemon along the way. He will challenge the gyms and then lose the League, just like old days.

Yawn.

I see why you feel this way, but I don't think it should be written off like this so early on.

Pokemon was experimental during Gen 7 with the games, anime and movies and while these new games may return to something more traditional, I'm confident that they'll throw in some unconventional elements to keep things interesting. I think people expecting the next series to be a straight up DP/XY style adventure are going to be disappointed.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Since it seems gyms are back, I hope they change things around a bit. Use the male player character as a companion for a change and give Ash a new, original look like they did on AG.

Other than that, the new generation is looking great. Hopefully, the anime series will be better than what we have currently

DatsRight

The usual pattern is an experimental series and then a sturdier refinement. Compare Kanto to Johto, AG to DP, and BW to XY.

I can see SS inheriting some of the new premises SM offered but moderated and fine tooled and likely with at least a small retread into the original formula. Maybe something like Ash travelling but having these long-term stops in different key areas, which could also allow for a less fleeting cast use and some retainment of character-driven activities.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics

Yawn.

So we should get excited about Ash catching and using old pokemon, not seeing the region to it's full extent and watered down challenges where the rate of battles is close to non-existent? And bringing Ash losing the league into the discussion, something he did and will do in every series is rather a proof that people lack arguments.

Instead of arguing about such bullshit I would rather hope for the next series to deliver in terms of storytelling and battles. Returning to the old setting isn't something that influences the overall quality of them.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So we should get excited about Ash catching and using old pokemon, not seeing the region to it's full extent and watered down challenges where the rate of battles is close to non-existent? And bringing Ash losing the league into the discussion, something he did and will do in every series is rather a proof that people lack arguments.

Instead of arguing about such bullshit I would rather hope for the next series to deliver in terms of storytelling and battles. Returning to the old setting isn't something that influences the overall quality of them.
When people say BS, they usually mean that's never going to happen or something is way off. @Satoshi & Touko is right like it or not. The Pokemon Anime is going to continue practically the same formula, maybe a different story format like the hub-based one in SM but it will nevertheless fall on the same formula.

On a different note, who thinks Ash is going to get all three starter pokemon. After looking at all three of them, all three of them look perfect for Ash's personality and almost no one else.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
When people say BS, they usually mean that's never going to happen or something is way off. @Satoshi & Touko is right like it or not. The Pokemon Anime is going to continue practically the same formula, maybe a different story format like the hub-based one in SM but it will nevertheless fall on the same formula.

On a different note, who thinks Ash is going to get all three starter pokemon. After looking at all three of them, all three of them look perfect for Ash's personality and almost no one else.
I think that he is getting just Scorbunny and Sobble.

DatsRight

Well we don't know who the companions will be in Gen 8 or their personalities anyway, so whether they're compatible is up for debate.

shoz999

I think that he is getting just Scorbunny and Sobble.
Actually now that I think about it more I guess I could imagine the older mature Brock replacement to befriend Sobble. As for the fem protag, I guess a energetic tomboy like Dawn would work well with Scorbunny. Although to be honest, I can see Ash get all three Pokemon. Ash's friendly energetic playful behavior is perfect for all three Pokemon.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I definitely think it’s likely. Besides the fact that he’s followed a pattern of 3-1-2 in terms of starters, I do agree that all fit Ash. Grookey and Scorbunny feel like an Aipom where their main characteristic (mischievousness and hyperactivity) gets them in a lot of trouble but it also helps in battle. Sobble seems like a Larvitar, Buizel, or Litten where it’s reserved at first but opens to Ash over time

ShadowForce720

Well he could get all 3 starters, but in all honestly I would prefer he just get 1 or 2 of the starters, because that way we can see get more different pokemon, and the problem with the idea of Ash getting all 3 starters it means that if he is only going get 5 captures that means we will already know what his most of his team will be and then on top of that if he gets the regional bird as well that would mean that there would only be one pokemon that we don't know what it would be.

Where as if he gets just 1 or 2 starters then they can give him some other pokemon that he might not have gotten if he had gotten all 3 starters.

Also I know some people want to say that it's likely that he will get all 3 starters because of the pattern of 3-2-1 but let's be honest they can easily break that, and plus if they have no problem with having Ash skip out on getting a Grass type in a region, and then skip out on getting the regional bird and a Water type in the region, then I don't think it's that unlikely that they would just give him 1 or 2 starters instead of 3.

UltimateNinja

SM had the chance to impress the audience with the new setting, but based on the statement of many people who watched the series, it certainly didn't do well. That's because people want to return to the old formula. Continuing with that system is arguably more tiring than returning to something which hasn't been done the longest, even if that said formula is already overused. They could've decided to do it better in gen 8, but if then they have to redesign the whole formula to work and then they just could do something completely new.

Decidueye23

Preferabally they go with the one starter per companion thing... just helps with everyone having more diverse pokemon. But what i really hope is more pokemon on the main cast. As the generations proegres the numbe rof pokemon with the main cast keep decreasing. The last time someone had afull team besides ash was dawn way back in dp.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

Well he could get all 3 starters, but in all honestly I would prefer he just get 1 or 2 of the starters, because that way we can see get more different pokemon, and the problem with the idea of Ash getting all 3 starters it means that if he is only going get 5 captures that means we will already know what his most of his team will be and then on top of that if he gets the regional bird as well that would mean that there would only be one pokemon that we don't know what it would be.

Where as if he gets just 1 or 2 starters then they can give him some other pokemon that he might not have gotten if he had gotten all 3 starters.

Also I know some people want to say that it's likely that he will get all 3 starters because of the pattern of 3-2-1 but let's be honest they can easily break that, and plus if they have no problem with having Ash skip out on getting a Grass type in a region, and then skip out on getting the regional bird and a Water type in the region, then I don't think it's that unlikely that they would just give him 1 or 2 starters instead of 3.
Most of his biggest regional teams happen to have all 3 starters (Kanto, Johto, Unova) so it’s possible he’ll go beyond just 5 captures

shoz999

SM had the chance to impress the audience with the new setting, but based on the statement of many people who watched the series, it certainly didn't do well. That's because people want to return to the old formula. Continuing with that system is arguably more tiring than returning to something which hasn't been done the longest, even if that said formula is already overused. They could've decided to do it better in gen 8, but if then they have to redesign the whole formula to work and then they just could do something completely new.
Oh that. Just turn the train into a mobile hub and have the protagonists travel each "zone" back and forth. There. You got the second closest thing to One Piece in the Pokemon series.

UltimateNinja

Oh that. Just turn the train into a mobile hub and have the protagonists travel each "zone" back and forth. There. You got the second closest thing to One Piece in the Pokemon series.

Or maybe instead using a mobile hub like you said, Ash and the new cast just could use their feets to get from one location to another location and just use the Pokemon center as the hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.