• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Or maybe instead using a mobile hub like you said, Ash and the new cast just could use their feets to get from one location to another location and just use the Pokemon center as the hub?
I get what your saying. Your talking about a "guild-like" setting right? Honestly even as a kid, I've already got that feeling from the original Pokemon anime. I can still remember Ash & Co. sleeping at the Pokemon Center in the Charmander debut episode. Honestly that wouldn't really be much different from past seasons unless your talking about a few centralize Pokemon Centers.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I get what your saying. Your talking about a "guild-like" setting right? Honestly even as a kid, I've already got that feeling from the original Pokemon anime. I can still remember Ash & Co. sleeping at the Pokemon Center in the Charmander debut episode. Honestly that wouldn't really be much different from past seasons unless your talking about a few centralize Pokemon Centers.

If the next series will only have a cast of 2 new trainer + Ash then we certainly can't call that a "guild-like" setting or not? I doubt we're getting more than 3 new characters this time.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
If the next series will only have a cast of 2 new trainer + Ash then we certainly can't call that a "guild-like" setting or not? I doubt we're getting more than 3 new characters this time.
You don't need that many established characters. You just need a party of three or mor characters surrounded by a bunch of nameless characters to hint activity going on as a centralize place. That's a very common trope in this sort of thing. That's what your talking about right?

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
You don't need that many established characters. You just need a party of three or mor characters surrounded by a bunch of nameless characters to hint activity going on as a centralize place. That's a very common trope in this sort of thing. That's what your talking about right?

If you want to know how I would write a SM kind of setting, then there two possibilities:

A school arc or something similiar estabilishing the main characters running for about 50 episodes and then splitting up and the region's center being used as hubs. The second one which is what I actually hinted is indeed a guild like structure but with a twist that there are multiple arcs going for more than just a couple of episodes where the series changes the protagonists from arc to arc and during these arcs they travel to the different locations.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The thing I'm most interested about is companions. I have high hopes this time even if I know some of the things I want have a chance of not happening.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Here’s my hopes based on the small amount of info we got:
-Give Ash all 3 starters (or at least Scorbunny)
-Give his team better development
-Actually battle more
-Get to traveling with the companions by episode
-Balance with the side activities like sports

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
If the games revolve around a middle ages storyline, maybe the next female companion could be a princess from the royal family. That is if there's a non playable character from the games like that. Otherwise I guess I would settle for the female playable character.
I don't want another one type trainer/gym leader as a female companion.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
SM had the chance to impress the audience with the new setting, but based on the statement of many people who watched the series, it certainly didn't do well. That's because people want to return to the old formula. Continuing with that system is arguably more tiring than returning to something which hasn't been done the longest, even if that said formula is already overused. They could've decided to do it better in gen 8, but if then they have to redesign the whole formula to work and then they just could do something completely new.
I don't think the settings is the problem but the way the series is handled. Less battles, more slapstick comedy ( "funny faces"), pointless fillers( which are on par with Pre Gen 7 fillers), only real difference is lack of movement/travelling and over-exaggerated faces.. Everything else is the same. SM could've easily been really good series in my eyes if they made it little bit differently.Like, almost remove "funny faces", and make battles more prominent.Sure, not all SM episodes are bad but majority are( mostly fillers and overdoing of "funny faces"). I wanted Ash to have battles with other classmates, to have school tournaments, I wanted Ash and co to have certain tasks like in Naruto part 1, where Ash and co must go somewhere to do something and they get grades when they finish the task. I'd rather watch a filler where Ash battles a classmates than watch them play that baseball episode or tennis or golf.

DatsRight

I don't think SM's experimenting was a bad investment, diversifying the filler to be more character-driven is a better idea than just rehashing the COTD/Team Rocket formula another whole series, it's just it's obvious that experimentation was higher priority than the main staples like battling and main arcs. AG and BW similarly dabbled in some new ideas, and while they didn't quite get them running right in the series itself, they served well in the long term to evolve the series into something more versatile. If they didn't we'd arguably still have something on the same level of monotony as Johto.

I'm going to be honest here, I don't think the writers can do awesome battles episode after episode anyway, even in battle heavy ones like DP and XY they kept having long breaks or cop outs like TR butting in to several of them halfway in, with us usually getting some rather derivative material in place of it. They need to toy with some other material to keep the show entertaining outside the main events so I praise SM for at least attempting to keep even the more episodic points innovative. A mix of the old more actionised format for the main arcs and SM's character driven material for the filler would arguably make a well balanced series on paper.

Last edited:

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Ash won't be in the new anime nor will any other people or pokemon expect a singular Sobble. Sobble's lonely journey through the abandoned Galar region will divide fans at the time of broadcast but will be looked back on fondly by all. The series will get very deep as Sobble ask's himself philosophical questions and wonder that the point of it's existence is, however Sobble with not talk, he won't speak english or repeat his name as he will be mute,this only applies to the individual Sobble and not the species (though Sobble will be the only character so this won't matter), any other characters will all exist inside Sobbles mind as elements of his Psyche and they will all be mute like Sobble. The Series won't be popular amongst the target audience but art critics who never though twice about Pokemon will be heaping the series with praise. Eventually a separate Ash based Anime will appear and run alongside the lonely Sobble series. Most of you will prefer that but the Sobble-hearted will remain strong and will help the Sobble sereis reach a higher level of fame, recognition and achievement than any pokemon anime before or since. The Sobble phenomenon will not repeat it self and we'll all wonder why the pokemon company made it and why they'll cry whenever we mention the series. Are their tears or pride, guilt or shame?, We join them in weeping for we will never know.
At least that's my prediction, makes more sense to me than what everyone else is suggesting.

SatoSereFan224888

I hope Ash is not the main hero for Galar. I hope the Galar saga focuses on a new hero, possibly Ash's daughter who wants to be exactly like her famous daddy.

DatsRight

I wouldn't mind if they downplayed Ash a little in favour of giving the new cast some central development, sort of like the previous movie, but keeping Ash's more colourful SM characterisation so he remains a fun presence to the whole thing. I truthfully think they should have done that to some degree for Lillie this series (the AF arc certainly shown they could balance it).

Really thinking about it, Ash may not be the best main protagonist, but he'd probably make the show's most awesome companion.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I hope Ash is not the main hero for Galar. I hope the Galar saga focuses on a new hero, possibly Ash's daughter who wants to be exactly like her famous daddy.
Ash is a cow which the anime will continue to milk until he's dry. He has a brand to keep.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Eh

In all seriousness the main character is rarely the most interesting of the core protagonists in most ongoing series. Who prefers Harry to Ron or Herimoine? Is Ben 10 a better character than Gwen or Kevin? Most people like Han or Leia more than Luke Skywalker. Ash is the same really, he isn't as interesting as say Brock or Misty but he doesn't really need to be.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Now that we've got a region name and the starters for G8, I think it's a good time to get some discussion started on its corresponding animated saga. My hopes for it so far:

-If TR can't be ditched completely, at least make them like they were in BW or have Ash contend with another villain(s) in addition to them.
-keep the SM animation style.
-have Ash have actual character to him (that is, don't go back to his utterly forgettable XY characterization).
-overhaul Status QuOLM's music department (seriously, S. Miyazaki needs to go).
-keep Argy on board for the dub script.
-keep as little JP music as possible (only if S. Miyazaki is still on board as composer; if not, then just keep as much as you deem necessary).
-do NOT have an utterly rotten character like Aipom/Ambipom or M11 Shaymin.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
On a side note, I wonder if future movies beyond the Mewtwo one this year will go back to being set in the current region or if they'll remain standalone entities with an AU Ash in its plot.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
TR are undoubtedly the best part of every pokemon anime, so no don't ditch them.

Sword_Shield_Stan

Don't Height Greightness
Main hope is that the anime really brings to life the unique atmosphere of Galar in the same way the Sun and Moon anime did for Aloha and XY/XYZ anime for Kalos. XY/XYZ anime had that sharp, strong shonen art and energy to it. Sun and Moon anime has that rounder, warmer art that really brings to life the tropical, sunny, laid back feel of Alola. I just wanting something that can do the same for Galar

Status
Not open for further replies.