• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
I'd really like Hop and Marnie to be the companions in SwSh, just feels like it would be a good dynamic between the 3 of them and you could have recurring encounters with Team Yell being mad that Marnie is with Ash.

Granted I expect them to be recurring characters/rivals (if they show up at all), but if I can't have that then can we pls have the female protagonist as a companion again.

Revolver Furious Dragon

But if Alistar and Bea are the only exclusives.... even if there's one more batch, you're still mostly seeing the same battle twice!

Not really. Ash and his companion will have completely different Pokémon and battle styles. And the gym leaders could switch things up. Maybe use a different Pokémon for each match. Like in a 3 Vs 3 they could use the same team for the 2nd match except the last Pokémon. It would make sense for them to switch up there strategies if the challenger knows what they can do

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Unless they come out and say there's still more exclusive gyms then I just see two gym challengers being pointless. Yes, 'But third version...' but who knows if we'll even get another game and just get DP remakes like in gen 6? I'd love another game and remakes, yes. But it could easily be gen 6 all over again in that regard

Unova would have worked just fine for multiple challengers;
Three brothers - Ash faces all the monkeys while Hilda faces Cilan, Pansage, and Lillipup
Both face Lenora
Ash faces Burgh but gym is destroyed as a result of TP's actions, Hilda faces Roxie
Both face Elesa
Both face Clay
Ash faces Marlon; Hilda faces Pryce
Ash faces Drayden; Hilda Iris
No Cheren cause making him a gym leader and not a rival was just stupid

But if Alistar and Bea are the only exclusives.... even if there's one more batch, you're still mostly seeing the same battle twice!
The thing that worries me most about two challengers and the same gym leader is that they'll do another Kalos and have Ash win most the gyms without losing. I'd like to see Ash struggle and lose now and then, keep him rooted in those big cities and let them get properly explored while Ash trains and prepares for a rematch.

Actually there is gonna be more exclusive gyms. The main site all but confirms this by saying there are multiple cities or something to that effect. Also we know there are anime only gyms so they can also have the companion challenge one or two of those.

Fire_Phoenix

Imo, i want Marnie to be the pokegirl because i love her design and i can smell the drama in her backstory just like with Lillie, but i think she will be in her full potential if she is ash's rival. Beside, more girl character in the main cast are always welcoming by me.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Actually there is gonna be more exclusive gyms. The main site all but confirms this by saying there are multiple cities or something to that effect. Also we know there are anime only gyms so they can also have the companion challenge one or two of those.

Multiple is often used when in reality, it's just two. Make the number seem larger than it really is
One other set of exclusive gyms is all I'm expecting, much like I'm not getting my hopes up that more than one other Galarian form has a new evolution

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Multiple is often used when in reality, it's just two. Make the number seem larger than it really is
One other set of exclusive gyms is all I'm expecting, much like I'm not getting my hopes up that more than one other Galarian form has a new evolution

I think we will get three, the ice city and the mushroom city will be the other two exclusive gyms.

Ultra Beast Lover

Wonder what the trio will do, I always loved when they opposed the evil team. I'm not sure how they'd react to how the league's set up, I'm sure they'll support Ash in the end especially if they end up rooting for one of his Pokemon again I just don't know about the initial reaction.

Revolver Furious Dragon

Wonder what the trio will do, I always loved when they opposed the evil team. I'm not sure how they'd react to how the league's set up, I'm sure they'll support Ash in the end especially if they end up rooting for one of his Pokemon again I just don't know about the initial reaction.

I'm assuming they will be on team yells side. They will be all for a group that's harassing ash. Especially if they can use that as a distraction to steal Pikachu

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
What would Gloria's goal even be if she's the Ash companion? Be the best Poke Jobs employer? lol. I'd much rather prefer Marnie but that would basically assassinate her goal and characterization.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I believe that Allister is most likely the male companion. I have no idea who the female companion could be.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I know Serebii discussed when each series was revealed but has there ever been a case where the anime counterparts were revealed before the actual game character was? For example Iris being revealed before we knew she was a Gym leader?

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I know Serebii discussed when each series was revealed but has there ever been a case where the anime counterparts were revealed before the actual game character was? For example Iris being revealed before we knew she was a Gym leader?

Iris and Cilan I believe were teased in the form of silhouettes before being revealed for the anime, but I can’t remember if they already had been revealed as Gym Leaders. Thinking back, Gen V actually did silhouette teasing a lot. They did it with the starters in CoroCoro for whatever reason too.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I dont know why u all assume we r gonna get a male companion and a girl compion like past series.. (except SM).
They could totally change the formula again like they did with SM (I hope they dont change it tho)

JC317

Iris and Cilan I believe were teased in the form of silhouettes before being revealed for the anime, but I can’t remember if they already had been revealed as Gym Leaders. Thinking back, Gen V actually did silhouette teasing a lot. They did it with the starters in CoroCoro for whatever reason too.

Yea, the first OP for Best Wishes was literally all silhouettes

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Plot twist we get no companions but Ash travels alone teaming up and meeting new people along the way in like mini arcs.

Eps-1-3 Is Ash arriving in Galar and learning about how the league works

Eps 4-6 Ash arrives in a forest where he deals with helping a Sobble out after being bullied

Etc

One thing Pokemon has done that annoys me is wrap everything up in a single episode for the most part. Certain stories would benefit from being more than one episode. Even the arcs we get could stand to be longer. Everything in the anime comes of as rushed and maybe it worked in season 1 but now where we get most plot they need to slow down and expand. I think to a degree SM tried this but it fell flat due to not really having an ongoing plot like most series.

One of the best things about the current Yugioh anime is how he doesn't really have a group of friends but friends who appear for the plot. Thinking back in Pokemon it is weird random people decided to just follow Ash for no real reason. I mean if they knew each other prior have a reason to follow him it is different but to have random people you just met that day seems odd.

Really the one ones that made sense were Misty and Serena.

DatsRight

Arc companions could work if they considered having Ash in longer term stays in certain areas. Korrina and the SM Kahunas were an okay way of handling this for example. I guess the problem is that, unless these characters stay recurrent, many viewers may feel time is wasted on them. I suspect this might be harder to do than for SM since unlike Alola, Galar looks more linear and traditional in structure and likely wouldn't allow the characters jumping in and out of areas at rapid pace.

I do think that Ash should maintain at least one consistent companion however, just one consistent foil that gets development throughout the entire thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.