• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
If SM is going to wrap up in 4 episodes, I'm expecting the cast to move on to Galar. There's too much stuff here to finish up after the battle with Kukui. I say 4 episodes because there was like a 3 week break between the end of Best Wishes/start of XY and end of XY/start of SM.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I wouldn't really call DP ash as superior trainer than BF ash especially how easily he lost to most of the gym leaders in first match. I still prefer BF ash he was more strategic in his battles against frontier brains than DP ash was.

Stuff like the battles against Tucker and Greta were good, but pretty basic compared to combos like Ice Aqua Jet and Counter Shield. BF Ash appears superior though because of the fact he was using reserves and had a much higher win rate than DP Ash, even though the latter participated in the most battles. I like both of them but much prefer DP Ash, but I agree that BF Ash is really underrated by like everyone lmao

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
If SM is going to wrap up in 4 episodes, I'm expecting the cast to move on to Galar. There's too much stuff here to finish up after the battle with Kukui. I say 4 episodes because there was like a 3 week break between the end of Best Wishes/start of XY and end of XY/start of SM.

There are still 3 more episodes for SM including a week break before the next series starts so they could use two of them to properly finish Mohn and other stuff.

I definitely don't want SM stuff for the first couple of episodes. It should start with Galar and hopefully left untouched by other regions.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Hoping for S&M to bleed into SWSH ala Kanto -> Jouto. He brings an Alola ‘mon to Galar, Nyaheat evolving and sticking around as Gaogaen or Lugarugan being recognized as the Pokemon that won the Alola League. Then eventually going the way of a regular lab ‘mon after a bit of time. The former champion Pokemon helping “coach” Satoshi’s new players could help give the transition into SWSH more of a progressive weight in Satoshi’s story. Have a Galar legendary or deity “bless” his Z-Power Ring thus upgrading it to the Dynamax band like the island guardians did.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Mohn, Shaymin, Tapu Koko, Team Rocket, graduation, goodbyes - there also should be some kind of victory lap for Ash to reinforce the magnitude of becoming a Pokemon Champion.

XY had 4 episodes to wind things down, but the climax - Team Flare - had passed. Most of what I listed are emotional or story climaxes in their own right, worthy of their own episode. I just don't see all of that fitting in unless the SS anime is starting later.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Stuff like the battles against Tucker and Greta were good, but pretty basic compared to combos like Ice Aqua Jet and Counter Shield. BF Ash appears superior though because of the fact he was using reserves and had a much higher win rate than DP Ash, even though the latter participated in the most battles. I like both of them but prefer DP Ash, but I agree that BF Ash is really underrated by like everyone lmao

Match gainst tucker was totlly strtegic, you dont need to develop combos like aqua jet and counter shield to be a good strategic battler. Ash outstrategized tucker in that match and BF ash is more superior because he was challenging frontier brains who were supposed to be superior to gym leaders ad the norml trainers in sinnoh (since he didn't challenge sinnoh BF) and ash in DP lost or struggled against pretty much most of the gym leaders and many average trainers initially him using reserves against FB just proves how strong they were because he would have swept and beaten everyone pretty easliy except for tobias, DP ash is overrated by everyone else he got lucky against conway's trick room that his gible knew bite otherwise we would have seen some underhand tactics like in ash vs anabel match where he cheated multile times. BF ash pobably is the best version of ash probably in par or little ahead of even XY ash.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Hoping for S&M to bleed into SWSH ala Kanto -> Jouto. He brings an Alola ‘mon to Galar, Nyaheat evolving and sticking around as Gaogaen or Lugarugan being recognized as the Pokemon that won the Alola League. Then eventually going the way of a regular lab ‘mon after a bit of time. The former champion Pokemon helping “coach” Satoshi’s new players could help give the transition into SWSH more of a progressive weight in Satoshi’s story. Have a Galar legendary or deity “bless” his Z-Power Ring thus upgrading it to the Dynamax band like the island guardians did.
So kind of like a Johto situation? That’s actually a really good idea.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Mohn, Shaymin, Tapu Koko, Team Rocket, graduation, goodbyes - there also should be some kind of victory lap for Ash to reinforce the magnitude of becoming a Pokemon Champion.
Mohn’s story could end very easily with him appearing from the wormhole like Bebenom or Gladion encountering him at PokePelago with his memories wiped like the games and letting him be since he doesn’t remember anyone and has a new life. Lusamine/Gladion having gotten their closure and moved on with life despite Mohn having been found. Essentially adapting the plot line from the games.

Shaymin was never a huge plot point, it will get the Gracidea and leave or (hopefully) stay with Mao. Team Rocket’s mecha is just another mecha that will be destroyed by Akuziking while maybe helping save the day as their last “hurrah.” No one said anything about them “graduating.” Maybe one final fight against Kapuko-Keko (but even then those guardian fights were catalyst for battle development more than anything) and the goodbyes remain as things to be finished in earnest. I feel like the only conclusive plot threads are Mohn, maybe Pikachu fighting Kapuko-Keko and the characters parting ways.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
One problem with kanto-> Johto route, his galar team could end up getting totally underwhelmed by his alolan team just like what happened with johto team getting overwhelmed by kanto team and stayed underpowered. There is a valid reason why ash starts from the scratch at the start of every region.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
One problem with kanto-> Johto route, his galar team could end up getting totally underwhelmed by his alolan team just like what happened with johto team getting overwhelmed by kanto team and stayed underpowered. There is a valid reason why ash starts from the scratch at the start of every region.

Exactly this. I don't need more of his older Pokemon to appear outside of the league. Bringing Alola Pokemon to Galar would overshadow the newer Pokemon and whenever Ash lose, people would blame him even more for not using his older Pokemon he just had in his team. Having coach mons or them being a temporaly help until his Galar Pokemon are strong enough would be a waste of screentime for the newer Pokemon. Ash never needed older Pokemon by the start of his journey since Hoenn and he also won't need them in Galar.

ShadowForce720

Exactly this. I don't need more of his older Pokemon to appear outside of the league. Bringing Alola Pokemon to Galar would overshadow the newer Pokemon and whenever Ash lose, people would blame him even more for not using his older Pokemon he just had in his team. Having coach mons or them being a temporaly help until his Galar Pokemon are strong enough would be a waste of screentime for the newer Pokemon. Ash never needed older Pokemon by the start of his journey since Hoenn and he also won't need them in Galar.

To be fair though reason that wound up happening to the Johto team was because Ash brought all 3 Kanto starters with him to Johto, had he only brought one of them instead of all 3 then it probably wouldn't have been that bad. Basically if Ash were to take just one pokemon alongside him to the Galar region besides Pikachu and Rotom Dex, then it would not really cause that much of an issue, for example he could take Gible and it would be able to fit into the Galar team sense they don't have to suddenly make room in his party for more pokemon as he would still have 4 slots open.

It would probably be like if he wound up catching 6 pokemon in Galar instead of 5. Only in this case it wouldn't be a actually new capture and instead one of the 6 pokemon would be a returning pokemon.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

I'd rather everyone go back to Oak's. They had to give Falkner a freaking boost because of Ash having his Kanto Pokemon! That doesn't bode well for his Galar team, does it? Should Lycanroc and Torracat get downplayed so Sobble can get a win? Should his Alola team sweep the gyms and not let his Galar guys get wins? No
Torracat staying would really be the only acceptable one of the lot, but that's honestly because I just don't see Ash having a Fire type. Grookey and Rolycoly probably have great odds of being on his team, and Rowlet/Lycanroc's presence would only harm their development like Cyndaquil/Totodile/Chikorita. Naganadel and Melmetal.... lol, no. I'm all for the former getting more screentime, but those two especially should go to Oak's. No way is he not going to ask for them to stay when they pulled that BS with Torkoal and Glalie for whatever dumb reason.
And really with how popular Scorbunny is, I'm not afraid that Torracat will outshine it. Especially if Ash doesn't own the rabbit to begin with

The TRio should keep their Pokemon, but Ash should leave everyone at Oak's until the Galar League unless it's another Bulbasaur case where they show up for one episode then leave. They only get one capture per saga, and are never consistent on power scaling so them keeping Mimikyu and Mareanie doesn't mean Polteageist and whatever get sidelined. Yanmega got used just as much as Seviper, and Mimikyu is more popular.... but still won't attack unless Pikachu's there. Jessie could use something that's ready to fight no matter what.

game3524

Grookey and Rolycoly probably have great odds of being on his team, and Rowlet/Lycanroc's presence would only harm their development like Cyndaquil/Totodile/Chikorita.

Off-topic, but this myth really needs to end.

Charizard was the star in the first gym battle, but then was gone shortly after. Squirtle wasn't even used in any of the gyms, same for Bulbasaur who lasted the longest. The Johto starters flopped because they were poor replacements and the fans realized that. The writers could have Oaked the Kanto trio and the Johto starters would have still flopped because their set up was essentially a rehash of Ash's season one team.

World Turtle

If there is a regional variant for Granbull I hope it is Ghost/Fairy and Ash gets it. This isn't just about getting two types he hasn't had yet in one, but because I like dogs.

DatsRight

The TRio should keep their Pokemon, but Ash should leave everyone at Oak's until the Galar League unless it's another Bulbasaur case where they show up for one episode then leave. They only get one capture per saga, and are never consistent on power scaling so them keeping Mimikyu and Mareanie doesn't mean Polteageist and whatever get sidelined. Yanmega got used just as much as Seviper, and Mimikyu is more popular.... but still won't attack unless Pikachu's there. Jessie could use something that's ready to fight no matter what.

Yeah I feel like Jessie got dumbed down a bit in SM with no powerhouse to command. All her Pokemon just did their own thing, thus she ended up looking kind of incompetent, while every once in a while in other series she proves she can utilise her team properly, she is a coordinator after all. Mimikyu will only battle Pikachu with any degree of enthusiasm so it's easy to spread roles around (hell Mimikyu staying as a distraction for Pikachu would act as a good reason Ash can't beat them single handed every time).

James can have his cute mascot type like Chimecho and Mime Jr, they barely battle so Mareanie can remain relevant. Plus it would be interesting if Mareanie proves jealous with competition for James' affection. Or it turns out to be a biter like her and James gets the same doubled gag he suffered with Cacnea and Carnivine together.

Also I kinda miss those times when TR had a big enough team to be a menace sometimes. You'd await odd times like the AG Ralts episode where they'd bring them all out to tackle the twerps. At the very least having two Pokemon to rotate each would be less monotonous.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Yeah I feel like Jessie got dumbed down a bit in SM with no powerhouse to command. All her Pokemon just did their own thing, thus she ended up looking kind of incompetent, while every once in a while in other series she proves she can utilise her team properly, she is a coordinator after all. Mimikyu will only battle Pikachu with any degree of enthusiasm so it's easy to spread roles around (hell Mimikyu staying as a distraction for Pikachu would act as a good reason Ash can't beat them single handed every time).

James can have his cute mascot type like Chimecho and Mime Jr, they barely battle so Mareanie can remain relevant. Plus it would be interesting if Mareanie proves jealous with competition for James' affection. Or it turns out to be a biter like her and James gets the same doubled gag he suffered with Cacnea and Carnivine together.

You know if something were to happen to Bewear, Stufful could wind up joining James's team which would could serve as a cute mascot type, and plus it would be funny if it's kind of the reverse where James is over affection with Stufful and Stufful keeps beating him up in retaliation. Plus they could actually make it so that Stufful is naturally gifted at battling and maybe takes out pokemon that would normally blast off Team Rocket Trio.

Revolver Furious Dragon

I feel Ash should become a tutor in a Galar. He won’t battle gyms. Instead he would give advice to his pupils, Victor & Gloria. When they go to gyms, Ash would give them some helpful hints.

Thats not going to happen. Ash is going to challenge gyms just like he always does. He could still be a mentor type figure but he's not going to pass up the chance to do gyms

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Im really hoping there's a Galarian crawdaunt. It's something I've been hoping for since regional varient were first announced. It makes sense for it to have a regional varient based in the species lore so galar is a good time.

I don't want you to get too hopeful but here's a link to one specific species of crustacean found in the British Isles that would mostly like be inspiration for Galarian Crawdaunt :Austropotamobius pallipes - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Austropotamobius_pallipes

On topic I do wonder if any of Ash's older un-evolve Pokémon would gain a new evolution in Galar would that increase the chances of any of them coming back?

Last edited:

Revolver Furious Dragon

I don't want you to get too hopeful but here's a link to one specific species of crustacean found in the British Isles that would mostly like be inspiration for Galarian Crawdaunt :Austropotamobius pallipes - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Austropotamobius_pallipes

On topic I do wonder if any of Ash's older un-evolve Pokémon would gain a new evolution in Galar would that increase the chances of any of them coming back?

Thanks for that. I'm not expecting a Galarian crawdaunt but it would be nice since it came from a different region to hoenn and it could have evolved there to mimic sharpedo. So seeing an original one could be cool.

on topic ash could even evolve his corphish into a Galarian crawdaunt.

But since sirfetched is a sword exclusive then maybe another single stage kanto Pokémon gets an evolution in shield. Which for ash would be tauros. Unlikely since tauros is strong enough as is but possible I suppose.

I'm trying to think which of ash's Pokémon species could get a Galarian form and scraggy/scrafty spring to mind. As they could easily fit a punk asthenic that I could see a Galarian form having, since it's kinda punky as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.