• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - How will they impact the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
So, I am thinking since we will get all regions in here that some mysteries should be solved within each region that have left unsolved or even better arcs:
Like: What happened to released/in training Pokemon, GS Ball, Archie/Maxie get out of jail or whenever they are and we have actual good Aqua/Magma arc with Mega and everything, we finally get to see Plasma vs Team Rocket( by TP getting out of jail).

DatsRight

Please let this involve the Malamar arc, it was so cool and it seemed like it was going to lead into something but nothing happened. Inkay didn't evolve and take over the group, we didn't learn what its deal was. It was one of the few evil Pokemon in the franchise.

I'm kinda glad Inkay didn't turncoat, but I would have liked to have seen what it was all about. The fact there were three good Malamar in that forest and three evil ones seemed suspicious, like some tragic event had led to their future turn to evil (or maybe the other way round and the Malamar had been turned placid and relaxed in the past). The Evil Malamar felt kind of random without any sort of background on them.

The biggest problem with resolving these arcs however is that kids watching nowadays will likely have no idea what these originate from. Some more episodic ones could be brought back up like the Jigglypuff gag was but others will be completely random looked into now.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm kinda glad Inkay didn't turncoat, but I would have liked to have seen what it was all about. The fact there were three good Malamar in that forest and three evil ones seemed suspicious, like some tragic event had led to their future turn to evil (or maybe the other way round and the Malamar had been turned placid and relaxed in the past). The Evil Malamar felt kind of random without any sort of background on them.

The biggest problem with resolving these arcs however is that kids watching nowadays will likely have no idea what these originate from. Some more episodic ones could be brought back up like the Jigglypuff gag was but others will be completely random looked into now.
That's a good point because I don't think that they would force kids to binge watch past episodes in order to understand the current plot points.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ultra Beast Lover said:
Please let this involve the Malamar arc, it was so cool and it seemed like it was going to lead into something but nothing happened. Inkay didn't evolve and take over the group, we didn't learn what its deal was. It was one of the few evil Pokemon in the franchise.

I find it unlikely that the writers would restart that subplot since they've probably forgotten it by now. I just don't expect them to go back and fix all of the unfinished arcs that they had plans for regardless of the fact that the seven other regions will be featured at some point in the Galar saga. I'm simply not that optimistic.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I am seriously fearing that we may get Misty and Brock for Ash's companion for the next series. Don't ask me why.

Brock would be acceptable, I mean apart from Kiawe... his replacements weren't great. And there is such a thing as traveling doctors

But Misty? Um.... no thanks. That just goes against her character. She's the Cerulean Gym Leader, and her sisters clearly don't give a damn about it! Better for a new female to come in instead. Quite frankly I'd be happy to never see her again, at least not until May and Dawn get appearances. Brock deserves every episode he gets. Plus it'd be nice to see somebody deal with Drednaw, but they've already had that sort of arc with both Ash and Misty, been so long since we've seen a new character struggle. Lately they just get Pokemon with little to no issue, especially the females.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
There hasn’t been a “problem” Pokemon since Dragonite, six years ago (literally how has it been that long). They’ve especially been shying away from giving the girls one of them, which is The Worst because Pokémon like Mamoswine and the aforementioned Dragonite gave Dawn and Iris good, thorough development and challenged their characters in a way that hasn’t been replicated since.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Plus it'd be nice to see somebody deal with Drednaw, but they've already had that sort of arc with both Ash and Misty, been so long since we've seen a new character struggle. Lately they just get Pokemon with little to no issue, especially the females.
It's just a sad side effect of how the writers write the female companions nowadays.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Brock would be acceptable, I mean apart from Kiawe... his replacements weren't great. And there is such a thing as traveling doctors

But Misty? Um.... no thanks. That just goes against her character. She's the Cerulean Gym Leader, and her sisters clearly don't give a damn about it! Better for a new female to come in instead. Quite frankly I'd be happy to never see her again, at least not until May and Dawn get appearances. Brock deserves every episode he gets. Plus it'd be nice to see somebody deal with Drednaw, but they've already had that sort of arc with both Ash and Misty, been so long since we've seen a new character struggle. Lately they just get Pokemon with little to no issue, especially the females.
The guys all had 2 Pokemon (4 in Ash's case) by episode 34 of SM. Lana didn't get Eevee until episode 99. It's hardly a handout when they refuse to actually give the girls anything until it's late in the saga.

DatsRight

There hasn’t been a “problem” Pokemon since Dragonite, six years ago (literally how has it been that long). They’ve especially been shying away from giving the girls one of them, which is The Worst because Pokémon like Mamoswine and the aforementioned Dragonite gave Dawn and Iris good, thorough development and challenged their characters in a way that hasn’t been replicated since.

Lycanroc was SORT OF one I guess. Froakie was also very briefly one, but Ash was savvy enough to appease it.

I'd love to see some more non-Ash Pokemon get some character arcs these days as well. I think Serena's Eevee was the last true case of this, otherwise they usually have nice personalities but are more a tool for trainer development (though I did like the 'security blanket' type dynamic with many of the SM Pokemon).

The guys all had 2 Pokemon (4 in Ash's case) by episode 34 of SM. Lana didn't get Eevee until episode 99. It's hardly a handout when they refuse to actually give the girls anything until it's late in the saga.

The guys' captures I suppose did involve battles first. SM also had an interesting take where one of the trainer's Pokemon would more or less introduce a new team mate, instantly signaling these guys would be bonding most of the series (eg. Pikachu and Rowlet bringing in Poipole and Meltan, Popplio bringing in Sandy).

The most random and anti climatic captures in SM were Rockruff (with Kukui pretty much saying 'Ash you keep him') and Shaymin (if that even counts as an official capture), though I think by episode 108, many were just happy Mallow got SOMETHING.

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

Serena's eevee until it became an sylveon was a problem pokemon on its own and that challneged serena and evolved her character, tbf i prefer it to drgonite and mamoswine which were fine but still cheap copies of ash and charizard storyline though it was far more impactfull to the series than those two, atleast with eevee's shyness we got something fresh to begin with and that makes it a problem pokemon.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Serena's eevee until it became an sylveon was a problem pokemon on its own and that challneged serena and evolved her character, tbf i prefer it to drgonite and mamoswine which were fine but still cheap copies of ash and charizard storyline though it was far more impactfull to the series than those two, atleast with eevee's shyness we got something fresh to begin with and that makes it a problem pokemon.

I liked Eevee a lot and how it was different from the others by not being disobedient, just another kind of difficult. But I preferred Mamoswine and Dragonite because they really pushed their trainers out of their comfort zone, whereas I felt like Eevee was a lot more manageable (even if Serena did have to work with it). I didn’t think Mamoswine was a Charizard copy, but I could see Dragonite being one especially since Charizard’s return in BW made it clear how similar they were.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I liked Eevee a lot and how it was different from the others by not being disobedient, just another kind of difficult. But I preferred Mamoswine and Dragonite because they really pushed their trainers out of their comfort zone, whereas I felt like Eevee was a lot more manageable (even if Serena did have to work with it). I didn’t think Mamoswine was a Charizard copy, but I could see Dragonite being one especially since Charizard’s return in BW made it clear how similar they were.

Yeah eevee was notdisobedient, it had shyness problem, and even her shyness caused serena to nearly be disqualified from her performances, so it is wrong to say eevee didn't push her trainer out of comfort zone. As for mamaswine, it was copied from charizard it evolved to its final stage very quickly and there diobedience started from midstage not to mention theyboth started listening to there trainers when treated after beaten by other pokemon, dawn's character arc was mostly copied from OS ash journeys. Dragonite and charizard had only thing in common during there disobedience they only battled truly strong pokemon.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

World Turtle

With them reusing the Farfetch'd evolution from the GS Beta I wonder if they'll use any other of those scrapped ideas? IIRC Umbreon was originally a Poison type. Maybe we'll get Poison Eevee?

I kind of wonder if Ash would get Poison Eevee? Weird I know, but so far he gets unique poison types I think is the best word: The Kanto Grass/Poison Starter, One of the 'Pollution Trio' (living toxic sludge/sea pollution), and an Ultra Beast (an alien dragon from outer space).

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
World Turtle said:
With them reusing the Farfetch'd evolution from the GS Beta I wonder if they'll use any other of those scrapped ideas? IIRC Umbreon was originally a Poison type. Maybe we'll get Poison Eevee?

I kind of wonder if Ash would get Poison Eevee? Weird I know, but so far he gets unique poison types I think is the best word: The Kanto Grass/Poison Starter, One of the 'Pollution Trio' (living toxic sludge/sea pollution), and an Ultra Beast (an alien dragon from outer space).

They didn't reuse Kamonegi's evolution from the beta though since Negiganaito doesn't really resemble Madame. And I'm still vehemently against the idea of Satoshi getting an Eievui since he's had plenty of opportunities to get one in the past, and even if Eievui gets a new evolution in Gen VIII, I don't really see why Satoshi should own it.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Watch Lucario get a new form and people jump back on Ash better get one. (Which I'm all for but meh)

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Ash had his chance to get eevee and/or lucario a loooong time ago. Highly doubt that would change that by now. The funny thing is that pretty easy giving him any of these two, from a story perspective, without cause damage to his regional team, if you just go for a mini-arc where he does need advantage in numbers and specific mons.

In fact, I hope they FINALLY give us an arc/mini-tournament/whatever that actually allows Ash to use his past teams. That guys are really in need of some action. Heck, even primeape should be one of the most freaking easy things to bring back from his training limbo, if they just give a thinking about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.