• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword and Shield - Relation to The United Kingdom

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It's definitely a different type of fantasy, urban fantasy as you stated. But after looking up the difference between fantasy and sci-fi (again, for my English teaching knowledge), I really came to see Pokemon as fantasy nonetheless. They don't go out of their way to explain things like how the Pokeballs and PC Storage System work, they just do, and that's okay. Seeing it from this angle actually caused me to breath a sigh of relief since everybody wants to be Cinemasins and poke all the holes nowadays :p

I appreciate Turner stepping in and helping the team drop some stereotypes, too, but now I'm with Orphalesion in wanting to know what a "traditional fantasy" Pokemon world would look like. Like if they fleshed out the beginning of the Lucario movie or something :)
Play Pokemon Conquest then. That's the closest your going to get to a "traditional fantasy" Pokemon world.

Orphalesion

I appreciate Turner stepping in and helping the team drop some stereotypes, too, but now I'm with Orphalesion in wanting to know what a "traditional fantasy" Pokemon world would look like. Like if they fleshed out the beginning of the Lucario movie or something :)

I mean, it's difficult to tell what exactly was changed, but I'm not sure I appreciate Turner's "intervention". I mean it's not like Galar is going to completely reflect the real UK anyway, like all the other regions it's gonna be an idealized "fantasy" version of the real place, so why not not take that fantasy a bit further?

MagicEspeon

P. F. Magician
For me seeing how more recent regions reflect the culture of the place they're based on is a very exciting and one of my favorite parts of more recent Pokemon games. Turner's intervention is very much appreciated. I want to play a game that feels British, not Pokemon: Generic Medieval Fantasy edition.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It's definitely a different type of fantasy, urban fantasy as you stated. But after looking up the difference between fantasy and sci-fi (again, for my English teaching knowledge), I really came to see Pokemon as fantasy nonetheless. They don't go out of their way to explain things like how the Pokeballs and PC Storage System work, they just do, and that's okay. Seeing it from this angle actually caused me to breath a sigh of relief since everybody wants to be Cinemasins and poke all the holes nowadays :p

The differences between fantasy and science fiction are useful for studies other than English, of course! But yeah, all in all, Pokémon is within the fantasy genre, despite its high technology, since, like with Star Wars, Dragon Ball, and such, the technology isn't actually explained in any remotely plausible way (or, as you mentioned, isn't explained at all), and the story is more how people live in such a setting and the sorts of heroes and villains that arise from it rather than the technology itself.

Not sure how a medieval fantasy setting would work, actually in the larger Pokémon world, since the countries seen thus far have non-Pokémon technology roughly equal to present-day Earth, and information is freely shared among countries.