• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword & Shield Team Discussion Thread

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I need more info before I choose any of my team tbh. I love Sobble but that could all go to **** when the evos are revealed. Corviknight is pretty awesome but I'm pretty sure he's gonna be a late game capture. Also depending on Yamper's and Eldegoss's evos, I might use them if they get another type or something.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Only ones I have "confirmed" are Sobble and Corviknight though I may have to adjust my plans if Corviknight ends up being a late-game Pokémon. Going to wait for more Pokémon to be revealed (possible Yamper evolution perhaps?) before I default to my favourites already confirmed to be part of the Galar Dex.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I need more info before I choose any of my team tbh. I love Sobble but that could all go to **** when the evos are revealed. Corviknight is pretty awesome but I'm pretty sure he's gonna be a late game capture. Also depending on Yamper's and Eldegoss's evos, I might use them if they get another type or something.
I wonder if Corviknight is this gen's Pidgey/Spearow... meaning we're able to get their basic starter form early on.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I wonder if Corviknight is this gen's Pidgey/Spearow... meaning we're able to get their basic starter form early on.

This would be cool because it would be unique to the usual Normal birds we always get for the most part. I do hope at the very least that he does have an evolution like and isn't a stand alone.

Cloud5001

Only ones I have "confirmed" are Sobble and Corviknight though I may have to adjust my plans if Corviknight ends up being a late-game Pokémon. Going to wait for more Pokémon to be revealed (possible Yamper evolution perhaps?) before I default to my favourites already confirmed to be part of the Galar Dex.

I’m pretty simple when it comes to this. I see a pokemon I like I want it for my team. I do hope there’s enough new pokemon at the start of the game before the wild area since that appears to be where the bulk of old pokemon will be.

I’m also one of those rare rpg players who had no problems grinding too. I like to make sure all of my pokemon are around the same level.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Tsukuyomi56 said:

I haven't even put much thought into my team since we only have twelve confirmed Pokemon so far, half of which I either don't really like or am completely neutral about. Even just picking a favorite Starter Pokemon at this point is difficult for me since I keep changing my mind about which one looks better.

Orphalesion

I'll only use new Pokemon + some old ones I haven't used in a long time/never used as filler if there aren't enough new ones I like early enough (those will then gradually be replaced by new ones as they become available)

So I cannot say which ones I'm gonna use yet, I need to know all that's available first, and where to find it.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m still waiting to see more of the version exclusives to decide which version I’m getting.

I’m pretty much indifferent towards Zacian & Zamazenta, so I want to see what other pokémon are available for the games

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Yeah, I think Corviknight is the regional bird which is why he’s on my team. If I’m wrong and he’s a stand-alone Pokémon with no pre evos or evolutions, I’ll probably not use him. I’ll definitely catch one. I just won’t use it on my first playthrough. Evolution is half the fun for me at least. Like I said though, I’m pretty confident he’s the regional bird’s final evo. A raven would really fit the whole countryside and farmland theme that exists in the beginning of this game.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Sobble is my starter, no doubt. Only Rowlet made me break my Water Starter tradition since I wasn't a big fan of the Popplio line (Although I used her with my female character, and kicks major buttocks) A flying and Electric type is also staple. So Corvknight is devinately in. Yamper is cool, but I'll wait for the evolution line. Or maybe another Electric type will catch my attention. As always, I'll try to create a squad of 9 which will be rotated.

Last edited:

YOOMTAH

Let's dance~
The way Corviknight is described as the strongest and most intelligent flying Pokémon of the Galar region, makes me think it's a bit more rare than the regional bird. That, combined with how Corviknight is said to help people transport aroung Galar, makes me think it's similar to Lapras (who is a very strong and intelligent water Pokémon that helps with transporting people), and I would guess similar in stats and rarity as well.

The way Corviknight is described as the strongest and most intelligent flying Pokémon of the Galar region, makes me think it's a bit more rare than the regional bird. That, combined with how Corviknight is said to help people transport aroung Galar, makes me think it's similar to Lapras (who is a very strong and intelligent water Pokémon that helps with transporting people), and I would guess similar in stats and rarity as well.

Yeah I'm thinking Corviknight will be the new more advanced in the game bird à la Braviary/Mandibuzz.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Scorbunny is hands-down my starter this gen due to Galar’s emphasis with sports & how it has so much spunk & charisma. Plus, it completes my triad of mammalian starters like Oshawott & Chespin (I don’t count Litten since it didn’t really click with me)

If anything, Wooloo’s the most likely candidate of the new pokémon since it acts like Scorbunny’s perfect opposite partly due to its complacent nature & partly due to its Fluffy ability. As for the old ones, the only one I’m really thinking of using are Machamp, Golurk, & Steenee/Tsareena since I never fully used them before

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

If Scorbunny is part fighting type and there's a fighting type boss fingers crossed it'll be able to use Ariel Ace, I hated how Emboar couldn't use this powerful move. I'm not sure on Wooloo, there's strong Normal types sure but I'm always cautious with Normal types because well it's in the name, Normal type. One look at the type and my brain thinks, "It won't be strong." That and there was a little incident with my HM slave Furret, it was in Pokemon Crystal, my other Pokemon fainted in the Ghost type gym, you can guess the rest.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I think I’ll choose Sobble as my starter, which I don’t usually choose water but he’s too cute and is the lizard of the group. But I also want dreadnaw so looks like I’ll have a great team for when I fight the grass gym woo.

It seems way too obvious that Meltan is meant to play a role in the next generation both for the games and the anime. Ash has it in his party and the sun and moon anime is starting to wrap up meaning this is looking like what happened with Aipom who was caught because he was getting an evolution in Diamond and Pearl.
Let’s hope not, I want a whole new team for Ash. It’s too much of a bff with Rowlet to go with Ash but leave the rest of the team in the lab imo.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Definitely leaning towards Scorbunny but I like all 3. I might just start with all 3 as this would be the first time I’ve done that. Going to wait for more info tho

Drednaw, Wooloo, Corviknight (if it’s the regional bird), and Eldegoss (if it evolves again) are all candidates in that order

Let’s hope not, I want a whole new team for Ash. It’s too much of a bff with Rowlet to go with Ash but leave the rest of the team in the lab imo.
The fact that they’re setting up the Meltan multiplying is saying Melmetal is coming before the end of the series so I don’t think Meltan is going to Galar.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Have anyone watch the Silphsceptre channel on YouTube about real reason for why we are not going to be getting a national dex for this game......because the Pokemon go mobile game app that around since 2015 ?

No. I would hope not. That doesn't sound like any kind of rational or intelligent resource.

But even if they had...

...that's preposterous, to suggest that Pokémon GO has any effect on what Pokémon are or are not available in Sword and Shield. That's simply not a logical or reasonable connection to make, and it's not coincidence that these spitballs come so often from places like someone's broom closet YouTube channel.
I did watch the video and it was actually well argued. I don't know if any of it is fact or just speculation, but it makes sense. It leaves little hope for the future of the main series games, though, so I hope they're wrong.

Alright so in an attempt to help calm things down what Pokemon do people have in mind for their teams already.

New Pokemon:
Scorbunny ( depending on how the evolutions turn out)
Corviknight
Drednaw
Impiden
Yamper

Old Pokemon:
Pikachu (always)
Lucario
Flygon
Milotic
Gyrados
Excadrill
Butterfree
Seismitoad
Haryima
Aggron

I know there’s more I want but that’s just off the top of my head.
I won't be able to pick a starter until we see the evolutions, move pools, and stats. Unless I'm playing a Nuzlocke, I soft reset my starter for the best nature (or for a shiny). My first play through team usually isn't planned out more than that. I'll develop a team of new pokemon as I go. if something revealed really catches my eye, I'll do my best to find it during the adventure, but I don't really put much planning beyond the starter until my second play through. So far, Grookey, Impidimp, Corviknight and Drednaw are ones I would like to use. I'm really hoping for a new Dragon line as well.

WolfCypher

Alright so in an attempt to help calm things down what Pokemon do people have in mind for their teams already.

New Pokemon:
Scorbunny ( depending on how the evolutions turn out)
Corviknight
Drednaw
Impiden
Yamper

Old Pokemon:
Pikachu (always)
Lucario
Flygon
Milotic
Gyrados
Excadrill
Butterfree
Seismitoad
Haryima
Aggron

I know there’s more I want but that’s just off the top of my head.

NEW POKEMON
Corviknight

OLD POKEMON

Lucario

I mean...what else?

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
New Pokémon
Grookey
Whatever the regional bird is if it isn’t Corviknight or Corviknight himself
Drednaw
Impidimp