• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword & Shield Team Discussion Thread

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I think for my next playthrough, it's going to be...

Inteleon
Runerigus
Darmanitan
Hattene
Falinks
Duraludon
Runerigus ended up being one of my favourite Pokémon after using it so I highly recommend! Sobble to intelleon was enjoyable as well, didn’t think I would end up liking intelleon so much either

I beat Leon yesterday with the following team.

Cinderace - starter
Corviknight - first capture
Bolthund - third capture
Drednaw - very early capture
Eldegosss - As soon as I could capture
Grimmsnarl - Late substitute capture

Grimmsnarl was a late swop in for Thievul, which was my second capture, when I needed something suitable for the Dragon gym.

All of them pulled their weight during the challenge.

Now I'm replacing each one for the post game open world part. Charizard-G and Rillaboom (surprise trade) are first. Thinking about Gastrodon and Duraludon next. Not sure about the other two slots.

Autobot N

Will probably get Shield for Christmas, so I’m trying to think of a team to use.

Confirmed:
G-Darmanitan (will function as my starter. Going to trade a HA Darmanitan egg over): nickname unknown
Hatterene: Hat Kid

Maybe:
Corviknight: either Nevermore or Lamar
Appletun: nickname unknown

Sapphire Dragon

A Silver soul.
Right now my ideal team will look something like:
Boltund
Mudsdale
Corviknight
Flygon
Silvally
Centiskorch

Might be swapping Lanturn, Sigilyph, or Sirfetch'd in and out with Box Link too, just depends.

Last edited:

Baggie_Saiyan

Final winning team On Sw:
Propre the Barraskewda (MVP of the team thought he was gonna be filler but used him the most!)
Maurice the Rillaboom
Pheobs the Hatterene
Kuchisake the Dragapult
Akyll the Coalassal
Corvus the Corviknight

I swapped Eny the Flapple out for the final match since figured Dragaoult would give me a better chance, but didn't use him and regretted leaving him out in the end esp now the title screen, oh well.

Golden_Arcanine

Finished up Sword with the team of:

Rillaboom
Corviknight
Boltund
Drednaw
Grimmsnarl
Centiskortch

Probably going to roll through Shield sometime this week. Stil putting together that team.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I defeated Melony on my second try and with some luck. My in game trade Sawk took out Darmanitan in one shot with a single Brick Break which I didn’t expect. I was expecting it to take two turns to succeed. Eiscue got Badly Poisoned from Salazzle’s Poison Fang After it changed forms and even though it took awhile to take it out and I lost Salazzle and Corvisquire, I still won that round. Laura’s was taken out extremely fast and easily with a Dynamaxed Toxtricity and the Electric Dynamax move in two turns.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Here's my full team in more detail. Not perfect but it sure does pack a surprise. Except for changing Pokemon, any of you got advice for improvements?

Rillaboom
Item: Occa Berry
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, - Sp. Atk)
EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP
Drum Beating
Earthquake
Knock Off
Swords Dance

Boltund
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, - Sp. Atk)
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe
Thunder Fang
Fire Fang
Play Rough
Crunch

Coalossal
Item: Passho Berry
Ability: Steam Engine
Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, - Atk)
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/148 HP/108 Spe
Ancient Power
Will-O-Wisp
Solar Beam
Flamethrower

Perrserker
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, - Sp. Atk)
EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP
Close Combat
Shadow Claw
Iron Head
Play Rough

Orbeetle
Item: Choice Spec
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Modest (+ Sp. Atk, - Atk)
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/252 Spe
Bug Buzz
Trick
Psychic
Stick Web

Dragapult
Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -Sp. Def)
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Phantom Force
Fire Blast
Dragon Darts
Sucker Punch

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I might get both versions. If I do, here are some of the new Pokemon that I want
  • Starters: Definitely Sobble first time around. Grookey the second. I'm not impressed by the new Water types. Except for Cramorant, that is; ability makes it a good choice if I play Grookey
  • Toxel: Because I love that edgy boi, and it has a good type combination
  • Impidimp/Hatterene: Fills multiple niches
  • Snom/Mr Mime: I don't care if I'm missing out on Eiscue, Mr Mime's new form and Screen Cleaner ability+evolution makes it interesting to me, and I just wanna hug and love Snom. Try and find Ice Scales
  • Farfetch'd: I love its evolution, but in Sword I need to finally get around to using a Hitmontop

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I'm using Sword as my main. I wanted to use only new Pokemon so I could see what they could do. My final team after the game ended up looking like this:

Cinderace (I always pick the Fire starter in the first game of every gen and this guy was a monster. He was able to rip though a lot of teams with very little effort.)
Corviknight (I wanted this on my team as soon as I first saw it, no regrets. The tank of the team.)
Drednaw (Initially this was only going to be temporary, but I ended up keeping him because he actually pulled his weight really well.)
Toxtricity (Boltund just wasn't doing it for me; I replaced him for this mon. Toxtricity was one of my MVPs, so it was worth it.)
Grimmsnarl (He's an interesting 'mon. He wasn't used very much, but he did have his moments, so he was still nice.)
Frosmoth (She ended up joining very late. Much like Grimmsnarl, she wasn't used much, but when she was, she did really well.)

I've recently restarted my Shield game. I was originally going to do a mono Grass run based around Grookey, but after learning about the DLC which severely reduced the likelyhood of a third version and seeing a certain G-Max, I wanted to start off with Sobble more make a theme team around him based on lizards and reptiles. My planned Shield team right now is this:

Inteleon
Salazzle
Heliolisk
Scrafty (Bred from Sword for Shield playthrough)

I'm having trouble on 2 last members. I'm leaning towards Haxorus and Sandaconda, but I'm not final on those yet. It's difficult deciding....

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I just beat Eternatus & I’m preparing my team for the battle with Leon. I'm sticking with these pokémon no matter what, though I'm trying to decide on whether or not to raise their levels since their all between level 50-53 &/or teach them new moves:
  1. Beckham (Cinderace) @ Heavy Duty Boots
    • Low Sweep
    • Pyro Ball
    • Flame Charge
    • Mega Kick
  2. Liz (Corviknight) @ Sharp Beak
    • Brave Bird
    • Steel Wing
    • Body Press
    • Hone Claws
  3. Gordon (Obstagoon) @ Protective Pads
    • Obstruct
    • Cross Poison
    • Thunderpunch
    • Throat Chop
  4. Bryony (Flapple) @ Leichi Berry/Yache Berry
    • Dragon Dance
    • Grav Apple
    • Fly
    • Dragon Rush
  5. Benny-Lynch (Clobbopus) @Eviolite
    • Liquidation
    • Superpower
    • Bulk Up
    • Brick Break
  6. Guy (Grimmsnarl) @ Razor Claw
    • Play Rough
    • Darkest Lariat
    • Spirit Break
    • Drain Punch

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I'm going to buy Shield on my next pay day in February, and I really want to experiment with a rotating team, I meant to do that in Sword but I ended up settling on a team of six like in other games. My current plan is to pick Cinderace as my starter, have Obstagoon, Appletun and Galarian Rapidash as permanant team members, but have a few different options for the fifth and sixth team members and continuously rotate them. I'm thinking of swapping between Boltund, Copperajah, Mudsdale, Golurk and a Water-type (possibly Wishiwashi) depending on what's needed at certain points in the story. I'm not sure if it will work, but I'd like to give it a shot and see what I can do.

shoz999

Dont know if there is enough info but I kinda want to do a playthrough but using a team that would likely be *canon* if that makes any sense, like a team of pokemon Victor or Gloria would likely use
In the manga, the Pokemon Adventures take on Victor is essentially a boy who is a kind gentle boy on one side and has a serious fierce focus when working on the other side. The theme of his team appears to be based on his personality and tools that Pokemon can wield such as Grookey and SirFetch'd so far. For the Pokemon Adventures take on Gloria, she only has one Pokemon right now which is Scorbunny however a lot of fans theorized that her team will be based around Gigantamaxing, since she's venturing to study Dynamax, and her personality, an energetic hyper excitedly cheerfully loud genki girl which makes sense as to why she has a Scorbunny. Due to that, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a freaking Toxtricity lol which is perfect for the genki girl archetype.

MattL1222

In the manga, the Pokemon Adventures take on Victor is essentially a boy who is a kind gentle boy on one side and has a serious fierce focus when working on the other side. The theme of his team appears to be based on his personality and tools that Pokemon can wield such as Grookey and SirFetch'd so far. For the Pokemon Adventures take on Gloria, she only has one Pokemon right now which is Scorbunny however a lot of fans theorized that her team will be based around Gigantamaxing, since she's venturing to study Dynamax, and her personality, an energetic hyper excitedly cheerfully loud genki girl which makes sense as to why she has a Scorbunny. Due to that, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a freaking Toxtricity lol which is perfect for the genki girl archetype.
For Victor, what do you imagine the rest of his team being? I hope im not bugging you, same question regarding Gloria, tried to find possible theories for there team but i cant find any

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
For Victor, what do you imagine the rest of his team being? I hope im not bugging you, same question regarding Gloria, tried to find possible theories for there team but i cant find any
The manga just started so there's no guarantee yet, but if you want to make a guess. . .

Victor (pokémon that naturally hold items):
  • Sirfetch'd
  • Rillaboom
  • Conkeldurr/Melmetal
  • Oranguru/Passimian
  • Mr. Rime/Mimikyu
  • Dragapult
Gloria (all capable of Gigantamaxing):
  • Cinderace
  • Alcremie/Butterfree
  • Toxtricity
  • Urshifu (either style)
  • Lapras/Kingler/Drednaw
  • Pikachu/Eevee/Meowth
You could also be like me & make Gloria's team based on the Scottish trainer memes: catching pokémon that fit the image of brutish, aggressive, reckless, impulsive, stubborn, easily flustered/enraged, tenacious, etc. Check the trainer card in my sig for an example. A few other pokémon that fit this image would be Machamp, Gyarados, Onix, Hattrem, Gengar, Coalossal, Tyrogue's entire evolution line, Toxtricity, Qwilfish, Boltund, Alolan Persian, Flareon, Jolteon, Escavilier, Accelgor, Golisopod, Ninjask, Runerigus, Dracozolt, Dracovish, & Tsareena.

Last edited:

shoz999

Pretty much what @Munchlax said. Victor is a gentlemanly individual whose team appears to be based around Pokemon utilizing natural tools. Currently he has SirFetch'd and Grookey. Gloria is a hyper happy go-lucky individual whose team appears to be based around Dynamaxing but isn't quite confirmed yet at this point of the story. Currently she has just a Scorbunny but why dynamax-themed? It's because that Pokemon teams often have a theme in Pokemon Adventures, usually leaning to the character's personality or talent and in the case of Gloria, she wants to research Dynamax.

The way I see it, there are two ways you can go for each character, their team's theme or character's personality.
  • You can build a team around Victor's team theme, Pokemon that naturally hold items like Rillaboom, Polteageist or Dragapult.
  • You can build a team around Victor's personality, a soft-spoken gentlemanly individual who can get serious when he's focused like SirFetch'd, Boltund or Indeedee.
  • You can built a team around Gloria's team theme, Pokemon built around dynamaxing like Corviknight, Copperajah or Drednaw
  • You can build a team around Gloria's personality, a energetic hyper happy go-lucky individual like Cinderace, Perrserker, Toxtricity.
However if I had to make a fan guess what their teams based on both theme and personality, it'd probably be...

Victor
  • SirFetch'd, his sword and shield
  • Rillaboom, his drum set
  • Polteageist, his tea-cup
  • Eiscue, his ice-head
  • Perrserker, his claw daggers
  • Falinks, their shields
Gloria
  • Cinderace
  • Toxtricity
  • Corviknight
  • Kingler/Lapras/Drednaw
  • Machamp
  • Flapple
Keep in mind, my guess is most likely wrong based on two factors. As the other guy said, it's too early. Second, the writer is known to pull twists and turns on what people will think what happen and what actually happens. For all we know, the writer might think it's funny to give Gloria an incredibly slow Hatterene.