• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword & Shield Team Discussion Thread

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I've been thinking a lot about teams to use centered around Urshifu's two styles in the Isle of Armour, and while there's still a lot of info and variables we don't know yet so this isn't final, here's a rough team idea I've put together for the Rapid Strike Style:

1) Rapid Strike Style Urshifu - Fighting/Water-type
2) Talonflame - because I loved using it in Kalos and Alola and I'm happy it's coming back
3) Mudsdale - to cover Urshifu and Talonflame's weaknesses to Electric
4) a Grass-type to cover Talonflame and Mudsdale's weaknesses to Water. Seeing as Venusaur and Blastoise are getting Gigantamax forms, if you can get Bulbasaur and Squirtle somewhere in-game without needing to transfer them (and I don't see why you couldn't), I'll use the Gigantamax Venusaur. Its Poison typing can also cover Urshifu's weakness to Fairy.
5) Frosmoth - I still haven't used it on a team yet, nor have I experienced the wholesome greatness of camping with Snom. Plus its Bug typing can help against Venusaur and Urshifu's weaknesses to Psychic.
6) Jolteon - because I realise this team has a glaring weakness to Flying, and I doubt Frosmoth is enough to handle the average Flying-type on its own.

Last edited:
My shield team for when the expansion pass is released.

Definite members

Inteleon
Arcanine
Dubwool

Possible members depending on pokemon introduced in expansion pass.

Tyranitar
Lucario
Dragupult
Appletun
Oreetle
Possible galarian form
possible returning pokemon

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I've been thinking a lot about teams to use centered around Urshifu's two styles in the Isle of Armour, and while there's still a lot of info and variables we don't know yet so this isn't final, here's a rough team idea I've put together for the Rapid Strike Style:

1) Rapid Strike Style Urshifu - Fighting/Water-type
2) Talonflame - because I loved using it in Kalos and Alola and I'm happy it's coming back
3) Mudsdale - to cover Urshifu and Talonflame's weaknesses to Electric
4) a Grass-type to cover Talonflame and Mudsdale's weaknesses to Water. Seeing as Venusaur and Blastoise are getting Gigantamax forms, if you can get Bulbasaur and Squirtle somewhere in-game without needing to transfer them (and I don't see why you couldn't), I'll use the Gigantamax Venusaur. Its Poison typing can also cover Urshifu's weakness to Fairy.
5) Frosmoth - I still haven't used it on a team yet, nor have I experienced the wholesome greatness of camping with Snom. Plus its Bug typing can help against Venusaur and Urshifu's weaknesses to Psychic.
6) Jolteon - because I realise this team has a glaring weakness to Flying, and I doubt Frosmoth is enough to handle the average Flying-type on its own.
This looks pretty balanced in terms of both typing and battling res since you have an even amount of attackers, bulky pokémon, & speedy pokémon. If you want some alternatives in case they’ll be available in the DLC & things don’t work out for Venasaur, two pokémon I’d recommend would be Zebstrika & Victreebel.

Have you thought of any team ideas for Single Strike Urshifu?

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
This looks pretty balanced in terms of both typing and battling res since you have an even amount of attackers, bulky pokémon, & speedy pokémon. If you want some alternatives in case they’ll be available in the DLC & things don’t work out for Venasaur, two pokémon I’d recommend would be Zebstrika & Victreebel.

Have you thought of any team ideas for Single Strike Urshifu?
I have about half of the Single Strike team decided, right now I'm thinking Aegislash to cover Urshifu's 4x weakness to Fairy, and Wishiwashi to cover Aegislash's weaknesses to Fire and Ground. Other than that it's up in the air.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I have about half of the Single Strike team decided, right now I'm thinking Aegislash to cover Urshifu's 4x weakness to Fairy, and Wishiwashi to cover Aegislash's weaknesses to Fire and Ground. Other than that it's up in the air.
If anything, I'd suggest either a Dragon type or a Ground type to handle Wishiwashi's weakness to Electric types. That way Aegislash can also cover for its weaknesses to Ice types (and possibly Fairy types if you go with Dragon) & that leaves you two more slots for whatever you need.

Addydo

X-Men/Pokemon Fan!
Not sure if this is in the right place, but I'm having problems with the link trade! I'm trying to trade with myself (I own a switch and switch lite), but it won't connect with each other!? I've done it numerous times before but now it won't connect with each other!? Can someone please help me!? Thanks.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
If anything, I'd suggest either a Dragon type or a Ground type to handle Wishiwashi's weakness to Electric types. That way Aegislash can also cover for its weaknesses to Ice types (and possibly Fairy types if you go with Dragon) & that leaves you two more slots for whatever you need.
Having taken your advice, my current idea for a Single Strike Urshifu team is:

1) Single Strike Urshifu - Fighting/Dark-type
2) Aegislash - to handle Urshifu's 4x weakness to Fairy
3) Either Wishiwashi or Blastoise (again, assuming you can get Squirtle somewhere in-game without transfering) to cover Aegislash's weaknesses to Fire and Ground
4) Flygon - to deal with Electric-types (or possibly Garchomp if it's available in part 1 of the expansion pass)
5) Tsareena - another Pokemon I enjoyed using in Generation 7
6) Either Ninetales or Charizard - for triple protection against Ice, and also to cover the Water-type's weakness to Grass

Of course, both of these team ideas are based on the little info we have right now, and could very well change when the expansion pass is out. More than anything I've picked a lot of Pokemon that A) I've used before in Kalos and Alola, or B) are easy to find in the Wild Area. Once we know the types of Galarian Slowbro and Slowking I may try squishing them in there somewhere, we'll see.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Ok, I think I have my team figured out for the postgame (the Sordward & Shielbert storyline). Since my main team's saved in a battle box for the upcoming International Competition, I'm using this opportunity to try out a new team from scratch using my reserves & new pokemon:
  1. Hitmontop- My special defense buff with moves like Drill Run & Rock Slide to cover Flying types & Electric types
  2. Centiskorch- My speedy attacker. It knows Power Whip to handle my team's weakness to Rock & Water types
  3. Perrserker- My buff for Fairy types. Knows a variety of moves like Play Rough & Shadow Claw for general coverage
  4. Incineroar- All out physical attacker
  5. Gyarados- To help protect my team's general weakness to Rock and Ground types
  6. Melmetal/Eternatus/Zacian- Rotating between these three throughout the game for story purposes. They can serve as strong attackers with their own niches in type coverage.

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
So I've finally beat Shield, using a theme team based on lizards and reptiles. My final team did end up being how I planned it and here it is...

Inteleon (Probably the most fun I've had using a Water starter in ages; it's a new favourite. Much like Cinderace in my Sword game, he was a absolute beast, shredding almost anything he pointed his finger at. He was also able to sweep Leon all by himself and that was a highlight. I can't wait to use his G-Max in the expansion).

Scrafty (I had to breed this one from my Sword game to use it for this playthough. That being said, he was pretty solid, being able to take hits for the team and boosting his stats to punish foes.)

Salazzle (She got a lot of use as there were many foes weak to Poison and Fire that she could handle. It took her a while to get going in the earlier parts, but when she got better moves, she was able to shine a lot more and was a worthy team member).

Heliolisk (I was excited to use one again as I loved using it in Y. She didn't disappoint; Water types in particular were a joke to her because of her Dry Skin ability and for some reason they keep trying to hit her with said moves, Melony especially. I was right to choose her for a spot).

Haxorus (He came pretty late, so he didn't get much of a chance to shine, but when he did get use, he was very strong. His main highlights were Allister rematch and fighting those weird hairdo guys in the post game).

Sandaconda (There wasn't enough unique typed lizard like Pokemon, so I used this snake boy as a compromise. He wasn't used much either, but he did get to shine in the Rose Tower raid and Oleana so he has that going for him. I also got one with a mark so that's pretty neat).

I'm curious to see what the expansions bring. I'm hoping they'll be even more fun 'mons to use, regardless if they're new or old.

FabioManoel1977

Those new 35 pokemons that is enabled by pokemon home can spawn on RAIDS ?

Exist any way to get those pokemons ingame ?

Have a guy on Mercado Livre site that already sold more than 30 Melmetal by the price of R$ 7,50 each one.

I think that Nintendo enable pokemons that cannot be captured in game is a mistake, this just give to hackers a new way to make money fooling people...

Sorry bad english not sure that I used teh correct words, but, google translate makes sense the text when I use it...

Also not sure whey everybody wants Melmetal, a lot of people is offering to sell it in social networks... Is this pokemon so powerful ? I guess it cannot be used in ranked battles, I am right ? then Why everybody wants it ?

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I've started a playthrough of Shield, and I'm going to try out a rotating team, five consistent team members and the sixth slot shared between three Pokemon, so a squad of eight. So far my permanent team members are Scorbunny, Yamper and Tympole. My planned "Hateful Eight" team is:

1) Cinderace
2) Boltund
3) Seismitoad - I would use Drednaw if it wasn't weak to Ground like Cinderace and Boltund. I'll also need a Ground-type for Gigantamax Duraludon and Eternatus.
4) Obstagoon
5) Galarian Rapidash
6) rotation between Appletun, Hitmonchan and Frosmoth. Appletun and Frosmoth mainly because I really want to use them both, and Hitmonchan because I feel as if I need a Fighting-type for the late game.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Those new 35 pokemons that is enabled by pokemon home can spawn on RAIDS ?

Exist any way to get those pokemons ingame ?

Have a guy on Mercado Livre site that already sold more than 30 Melmetal by the price of R$ 7,50 each one.

I think that Nintendo enable pokemons that cannot be captured in game is a mistake, this just give to hackers a new way to make money fooling people...

Sorry bad english not sure that I used teh correct words, but, google translate makes sense the text when I use it...

Also not sure whey everybody wants Melmetal, a lot of people is offering to sell it in social networks... Is this pokemon so powerful ? I guess it cannot be used in ranked battles, I am right ? then Why everybody wants it ?
They don’t show up in raids but you can use them in raids.

Melmetal is very strong with high physical Attack, HP, & Defense and it hasn’t been used in a “real” format so people want to try it out

FabioManoel1977

Nowadays how "valuable" is shiny pokemon ? Everybody that I see in raids are using shinis, looks so common... For the time being I found only a galarian rapidash shiny and I wanted to know If my galarian rapidash shiny have any value to trade for some mythical pokemon...

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Nowadays how "valuable" is shiny pokemon ? Everybody that I see in raids are using shinis, looks so common... For the time being I found only a galarian rapidash shiny and I wanted to know If my galarian rapidash shiny have any value to trade for some mythical pokemon...

With Sword and Shield, it is easier to obtain a legit, and legal, shiny from raids if you're the participant. It lowers the value of some Pokémon, but they always hold their value when future generations are considered.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This is my Sword team. I beat the 'undefeated' Champion Leon with them a long time ago (on the first try without any Pokémon fainting!).

818.png
Inteleon (Male)
The very first Pokémon I got in Sword as my starter Pokémon. Really like that spy (especially James Bond) theme.

849.png
Toxtricity (Amped Up) (Female)
Originally a gift Egg Toxel from the Route 5 Daycare. Was rather effective against Leon's Gigantamax Charizard.

700.png
Sylveon (Female)
Why not use an Eeveelution on the team? Was stuck with Disarming Voice for much of the main story. Originally an Eevee from Route 4. Also the first one I found and lucky she was a female. She evolved into Sylveon before I took on the first Gym. Was also used against Eternatus to block out its Dragon attacks (especially Dynamax Cannon).

823.png
Corviknight (Female)
One of the earlier Pokémon I used for the playthrough. Was rather useful in taking out Zamazenta before the Eternatus battle. Possibly the bulkiest Pokémon of the team.

555-g.png
Darmanitan (Galarian Form) (Female)
A late addition to the team. Had to switch out often due to her Ability but very powerful when she was holding the Choice Band. Still struggled a bit at first as she was once the only unevolved Pokémon in the team.

865.png
Sirfetch'd (Male)
Another Route 5 catch as Galarian Farfetch'd. Rather useful in taking out Team Yell and Hop's Snorlax easily. Also especially useful against Marnie's Morpeko. If he held the Leek, he would crit a lot especially when the Affection boosts come into play.

Last edited:

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I use Inteleon, Corviknight, Mr. Rime, Dragapult, Toxtricity and Frosmoth. Gen 8 is one of the few generations where I gotta admit that I dislike the vast majority of new Pokemon so these 6 were the few that I really liked.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I've started a playthrough of Shield, and I'm going to try out a rotating team, five consistent team members and the sixth slot shared between three Pokemon, so a squad of eight. So far my permanent team members are Scorbunny, Yamper and Tympole. My planned "Hateful Eight" team is:

1) Cinderace
2) Boltund
3) Seismitoad - I would use Drednaw if it wasn't weak to Ground like Cinderace and Boltund. I'll also need a Ground-type for Gigantamax Duraludon and Eternatus.
4) Obstagoon
5) Galarian Rapidash
6) rotation between Appletun, Hitmonchan and Frosmoth. Appletun and Frosmoth mainly because I really want to use them both, and Hitmonchan because I feel as if I need a Fighting-type for the late game.
Following up on this post, I went with this team idea up until Opal's gym before I decided to delete the save file and try something else, because it wasn't really working out for me. This team is at a disadvantage against Fairy, and Palpitoad isn't as good as I would've liked. So I'm starting a fresh playthrough of Shield with a new team idea. I'll use Cinderace, Boltund, Appletun, Galarian Rapidash and Hitmonchan again, but my Water-type instead will be Gyarados, because it can cover a lot of bases and I've had success with it in the past. I'm also going to have a seventh major team member to switch into whenever needed, my plan is to use Copperajah, but seeing as Cufant only spawns in one section of the Wild Area and only at a 1% encounter rate most of the time, I'll have to get really lucky.
My main reasoning for this change is I did another playthrough of Sword this week and last, using the same team I had in my original playthrough (Rillaboom, Sirfetch'd, Coalossal, Lanturn, Corviknight and Sandaconda) but to test out the rotating team idea I added a seventh team member, Sylveon because I was lucky enough to find an Eevee on Route 4, and it helped out a lot in situations I struggled in the first time. I'm going to try out this "Magnificent Seven" tactic again in Shield.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Ok, I think I have my team figured out for the postgame (the Sordward & Shielbert storyline). Since my main team's saved in a battle box for the upcoming International Competition, I'm using this opportunity to try out a new team from scratch using my reserves & new pokemon:
  1. Hitmontop- My special defense buff with moves like Drill Run & Rock Slide to cover Flying types & Electric types
  2. Centiskorch- My speedy attacker. It knows Power Whip to handle my team's weakness to Rock & Water types
  3. Perrserker- My buff for Fairy types. Knows a variety of moves like Play Rough & Shadow Claw for general coverage
  4. Incineroar- All out physical attacker
  5. Gyarados- To help protect my team's general weakness to Rock and Ground types
  6. Melmetal/Eternatus/Zacian- Rotating between these three throughout the game for story purposes. They can serve as strong attackers with their own niches in type coverage.
After rethinking this, I wanted to give my postgame team a little more balance & variety so I made a few more changes. I'm still going with my theme of aggressive pokémon, though I'm still replacing the sixth slot with Eternatus for the battles with Zamazenta & Zacian at Rose Tower, & then again with Zacian for the final battle with Hop
  1. Centiskorch (Farah)
  2. Perrserker (Ronald)- This & Centiskorch are still on here for the same reasons as last time
  3. Darmanitan//Zen Mode (Murihead)-Another one of my reserves from the main story. I was originally waiting until the Isle of Armor to add it to my team, but I figured it would be a good way to handle my ground type weakness
  4. Melmetal (Dinnie)- It's still one of my favorite pokémon and I like the idea of being a heavy hitter with a kid's mindset,
  5. Hatterene (JoJo)- After reading it and Hattrem's pokédex entries, I loved the idea of this pokémon being a ruthless, off-the walls bat s*** crazy brawler who will kill you for even looking at her the wrong way. Plus, she has a fantastic attack IV and a rowdy sticker, so I felt this was meant to be a part of my team
  6. Rufflet (Moffat)- I just caught it on Route 8 & I think it would be a good addition to my team. It's pokédex entries say it's a reckless and scrappy fighter, while he has a naive nature and he likes to fight, so this seems like a perfect fit. I'm not sure if I'm going to evolve him into Braviary yet though

Last edited:

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Ooh yay! Teams! My Sword playthrough team was Inteleon, Corviknight, Flapple, Dragapult, Grimmsnarl, and Grapploct. For Isle of Armor, I know I will use Kubfu, and will prob back it with Squirtle, Galarian Slowbro, Melmetal, Dragonite (if available), and a new Galarian form. For Crown Tundra, I definitely want to use my Quilava if it becomes available. Possibly Bulbasaur and Copperajah as well

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
I'm about to finish a monotype run with only Bug type Pokemon in Shield!

- Orbeetle
- Vespiquen
- Galvantula
- Araquanid
- Ribombee
- Durant

I was expecting it to be harder, these bugs can really take care of things themselves. The only gym leader that gave me any trouble was Allister, he almost wiped out my whole team with his Gengar. I knew most of these Pokemon would be great, but Vespiquen is the real surprise, that thing is bulky AND a powerhouse in-game! I always discarded it due to how bad it is competitively, but my opinion on it has changed completely. <3