• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sword & Shield Team Discussion Thread

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
After much consideration, i changed my teams again^^ needed to make them look good together. So had to do a lot of mix-matching to get them just right.

From left to right: shield team - third version/playthrough team - Sword team

swsh_teams_new_by_dsslive_ddjv0so-fullview.png

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know I might reconsider the doggo for another team later. Thinking about Morpeko. I like his design but I like the doggo's design better. I think it's probably more because I can relate to the little guy which is weird because I don't usually consider relatability a factor in choosing a Pokemon for myself.

Bryon

Moveset Comp Judge
In terms of the team discussion, I keep thinking it depends on which starter I would get, and if I wanna go with just Galar exclusive Pokémon or go out of my way to mix and match. But I'm sure I can have some good ideas regarding that too :D

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Now with nicknames.

Sword
Main
Rillaboom F (Grass) "Taiko"
Centiskorch M (Bug/Fire) "Surtr"
Hatterene F (Psychic/Fairy) "Magisa"
Toxtricity M (Poison/Electric) "Matabe"
Dragapult M (Dragon/Ghost) "Order Grande"
Arctovish F (Water/Ice) "Branwen"

Rotation
Dubwool M (Normal) "Shion"
Sandaconda F (Ground) "Rokurokubi"
Stonjourner ? (Rock) "Loamhedge"
Sirfetch'd M (Fighting) "Gawain"

Shield
Main
Cinderace F (Fire) "Tammo"
Corviknight M (Flying/Steel) "Kogarasumaru"
Polteageist M (Ghost) "Pu'erh"
Thievul M (Dark) "Mogami"
Frosmoth F (Bug/Ice) "Izmir"
Dracozolt F (Dragon/Electric) "Nue"

Rotation
Grappleoct M (Fighting) "Baki"
Barraskewda M (Water) "Chirimen"
Eldegoss F (Grass) "Anat"
G.Rapidash F (Psychic/Fairy) "Shou"

Third Version
Main
Inteleon F (Water) "June"
Orbeetle M (Psychic/Bug) "Robotnik"
Boltund F (Electric) "Xolotl"
Coalossal F? (Fire/Rock) "Kamado"
Appletun/Flapple M (Grass/Dragon) "Vee"
Grimmsnarl M (Fairy/Dark) "Ashura"

Rotation
Copperajah F (Steel) "Paomi"
Falinks M (Fighting) "Dango"
Eiscue F (Ice) "Pengu"
Runerigus M (Ground/Ghost) "Stucco"

Oh my god, I have not thought about nicknames yet.

Perhaps I should choose a theme that fits the UK. Maybe Harry Potter characters. lol I haven't done that one yet.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Oh my god, I have not thought about nicknames yet.

Perhaps I should choose a theme that fits the UK. Maybe Harry Potter characters. lol I haven't done that one yet.
Pretty much the only nicknames I've settled on are "Nevermore" for Corviknight, "Rarity" for Galarian Ponyta and
"Cadbury" for Rillaboom, in reference to a TV ad for Cadbury chocolate that featured a gorilla playing the drums to Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Shield
Intelleon (Espionage)
Bolthund (Breaker)
Appletun (Shizuka)
Grimmsnarl (Azog)
Copperajah (Verdigris)
Frosmoth (Mei)

Sword
Cinderace (Smolderdash)
Corviknight (Caeldori)
Toxitricity (Nirvana)
Alcremie (Periwinkle)
Obstagoon (Pantera)
Dragapult (Deathbringer)

EpsilonEagle

What I'm thinking of using, not incredibly balanced but hey.

1: Corvinknight.
2: Dugtrio(Or maybe Excadrill )
3: Ludicolo (Or maybe Drednaw especially if there is an evolved form of it. Would have liked Kabutops, Omastar or Carracosta but looks like they didn't mak the cut. Considering the Champion's main Pokemon Water/Rock would be usefull)
4: Hydreigon (Possibly Kommo-O instead)
5: Mimikyu
6: Dragapult(Or if I turn out to not think it's that great, might switch for Kommo O)

So yeah, Kommo-O is in with the chance of replacing one of the two dragons. Really want to give Dragapult a chance.
If Kommo-O replaces Dragapult that will up Excadrill's chance of replacing Dugtrio. Two with a double weakness to Fairy would make another steel usefull.

Confirmed:

Starter (undecided)
Corviknight
Hatterene
Frosmoth

Maybe:

Alcremie
Eldegoss
Indeedee
Appletun
Sirfetch'd
Galarian Corsola (and its evolution)

I originally had Galarian Rapidash under "Maybe", but that was taken off the list for sharing the exact same typing with Hatterene.

Indeedee appears to be the Chansey/Audino equivalent for this generation, which means the stats or movepool could be rather subpar.

I may have to potentially consider some additional options for the "Maybe" section, in the event that some of my potential options right now have poor stats or movepool. I do have to factor in typing as a consideration to avoid too much typing overlap, especially when it comes to weaknesses. So that is yet another reason to expand my list of potential options.

Arcticwolf10

[my team
Confirmed
Cindrace (Starter) (Fire)
Obstagoon (Normal/Dark)
GRapidash (Psychic/Fairy
Corviknight (Flying/Steel)

Still debating

Bolton (Electric) or Toxtricity (Poison/Electric)

Frosmoth (Bug/Ice) or Dragapult (Dragon/Ghost) or Appletun (Grass/Dragon) /SPOILER]

Jostru

This is the team I'm planning on using, though this may change quite a little. Before my first play through of X/Y and Sun/Moon I also planned on using a certain team, but this changed quite a bit due to certain Pokemon appearing very late in game and getting attached to certain others in the meantime.

Cinderace (Fire)
Grimmsnarl (Dark/Fairy)
Drednaw (Rock/Water)
Toxitricity (Poison/Electric)
Dragapult (Ghost/Dragon)

There are a lot of other pokémon I like this Gen, but I plan on using during my second (or even third) playthrough. But as I said, my initial team could change quite a bit depending on when these guys are encountered. Especially
Dragapult
could be replaced and used in one of my later playthroughs.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
This is the team I'm planning on using, though this may change quite a little. Before my first play through of X/Y and Sun/Moon I also planned on using a certain team, but this changed quite a bit due to certain Pokemon appearing very late in game and getting attached to certain others in the meantime.

Cinderace (Fire)
Grimmsnarl (Dark/Fairy)
Drednaw (Rock/Water)
Toxitricity (Poison/Electric)
Dragapult (Ghost/Dragon)

There are a lot of other pokémon I like this Gen, but I plan on using during my second (or even third) playthrough. But as I said, my initial team could change quite a bit depending on when these guys are encountered. Especially
Dragapult
could be replaced and used in one of my later playthroughs.
Funnily enough, I'm considering the exact same team as you

PanchamSquirtle

I always rotate a team of 12 in my 1st play through of a new region game.

Here is my team:
Sobble -> Sizzle -> Intelleon
Rookidee -> Corvisquire -> Corviknight
Snom -> Frosmoth
Toxel -> Toxtricity
Impodimp -> Morgrem -> Grimmsnarl
Clobbopus -> Grapploct
Dreepy -> Drakloak -> Dragapult
Arctozolt
Applin -> Appletun
Stonjourner
Sizzlipede -> Centiskorch
(Galarian) Mr. Mime -> Mr. Rime

TheoS

My rotation team:
Golurk
Chandelure
Cofagrigus
Jellicent
Aegislash
Trevenant
Mimikyu
Gengar
Cursola
Dragapult

I will probably use other ghosts before completing this team since some of them seem to be rather late game.

The last mainline game that I played was Pokemon White, so I am very happy to be able to recreate my team from that game (had only 4 members).

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I think I am gonna run an Ice type team this time:

Frosmoth (Bug/Ice)
Eiscue (Ice)
Mr. Rime (Psychic/Ice)
Mamoswine (Ice/Ground)
Vanilluxe (Ice)
Gigantamax Lapras (Water/Ice)

Hobnail Boot

Well since none of my favorites made it in
RIP Girafarig, Zebstrika, Empolean, Toucannon, Infernape, Dodrio, Krookodile...
, I'm going to have to choose a whole new team for the first time in generations. I'm thinking of going with
Rillaboom, Copperajah
, Mandibuzz (whose design I've always liked, just that high evolution level ugh)... and that's about all I got so far.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
So I have been keeping up with the leaks and spoilers of what Pokémon are in game but I never really sat down and thought about what Pokémon I would end up using during my play through. Since I have no idea when during the game some Pokémon would be available it’s hard to actually decide what to use. A Galar regional variant would be fun to use. Which one will depend on if I choose Sword or Shield as my main game. Other than that I think I would choose Scorbunny as my starter since I usually go for the fire starters and also redeem the Jangmo-o code and likely have a Kommo-o in my final team.

After considering the options of new Pokemon for a bit, I'm gonna go with:

Rillaboom
Dubwool
Corviknight
Coalossal
Frosmoth
Dragapult

LePetitMeow

Oh boy, the team-building has been kinda hard this year for me... I'm a "traditionalist" in the sense that I like to really only use THAT generation's Pokemon on my initial playthrough, and there are quite a few new Pokemon that have my attention...

But I've settled on...

Shield
-Cinderace [Fire]
-Eldegoss [Grass]
-Drednaw [Water/Rock]
-Bolthund [Electric]
-Frosmoth [Ice/Bug]
-Galarian Rapidash [Psychic/Fairy]

Sword
-Rillaboom [Grass]
-Arctovish [Water/Dragon]
-Centiskorch [Fire/Bug]
-Toxtricity [Poison/Electric]
-Copperajah [Steel]
-Mr. Rime [Psychic/Ice]

JensV95

Quite difficult to make a playthrough team when a bunch of good mons are around. Since i'm traditional in using only new Pokémon my current team is gonna be
Inteleon
Frosmoth Corviknight Dragapult Grapploct Bolthund