• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon TCG Help Thread [Gameplay questions]

Swagsire

Question. My opponent has a darkrai EX from DEX on the bench, and a sableye in front with a dark energy. I have a jellicent on the bench, from BoC, which increases retreat cost by one. Since Darkrai EX drops retreat to zero, does that mean any pokemon with a dark energy affected by darkrai would then require 1 energy discarded to retreat? or would darkrai override that? Great ideas Qwaa...;195;

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Question. My opponent has a darkrai EX from DEX on the bench, and a sableye in front with a dark energy. I have a jellicent on the bench, from BoC, which increases retreat cost by one. Since Darkrai EX drops retreat to zero, does that mean any pokemon with a dark energy affected by darkrai would then require 1 energy discarded to retreat? or would darkrai override that? Great ideas Qwaa...;195;

From what I understand, Darkrai EX doesn't make Pokémon with Darkness Energy attached to them have a retreat cost of 0, but instead makes them have no retreat cost, which would make me say that something that doesn't exist can't be modified. Having these effects apply in timestamp order probably would be too confusing and probably isn't the case.

Yes, that would work. Cards like Rainbow Energy provide all types of energy at all times (while in play). So that means you would be able to use Powers/Abilities like Sceptile's Energy Trans or Klinklang's Shift Gear to move them.

Wow. I didn't even expect Sceptile's power to be good for that, but I checked Pokegym's Compendium to find that there was a ruling (or something) allowing for that, which is cool. Anyway, now if I make a deck with Klinklang or Hydreigon, I won't be as limited in my Energy choices. Thanks for the info!

There's one I can definitely answer! Darkrai EX overrides the other effect, or, more accurately, makes it pointless. In contrast to the point Wishing Star makes, it appears that the two wordings, "retreat cost is zero" and the one found on the Ability Dark Cloak, "has no retreat cost" mean exactly the same thing. Therefore, to explain, consider the following example:

Emboar (BW) was the first card I could find with a retreat cost of four, so let's go with that. Emboar is active, has one Darkness Energy on it and Darkrai EX is on the bench while the Jellicent you mentioned is on the other player's bench. His retreat cost calculation goes like this: 4 + 1 - EVERYTHING = 0.

Instead of "EVERYTHING," you could probably just read "infinity," just as long as you remember that a resulting retreat cost of negative infinity would not make sense in this context. The answer can only be zero.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
There's one I can definitely answer! Darkrai EX overrides the other effect, or, more accurately, makes it pointless. In contrast to the point Wishing Star makes, it appears that the two wordings, "retreat cost is zero" and the one found on the Ability Dark Cloak, "has no retreat cost" mean exactly the same thing.

I know for certain that they don't mean the same thing (by definition, since None != 0), but that the end result is the same between both meanings. But anyways:

Some cards say that "The Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn." Does this apply only for the object that the Defending Pokémon is at that time, or does it apply throughout the entirety of your opponent's turn on whatever the Active Pokémon just so happens to be on their turn? In other words, if a Spinarak used a move that said that "the Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn", and on their turn, they use something to switch their Active with a Benched, can the new Active Pokémon then retreat?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I know for certain that they don't mean the same thing (by definition, since None != 0), but that the end result is the same between both meanings. But anyways:

Some cards say that "The Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn." Does this apply only for the object that the Defending Pokémon is at that time, or does it apply throughout the entirety of your opponent's turn on whatever the Active Pokémon just so happens to be on their turn? In other words, if a Spinarak used a move that said that "the Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn", and on their turn, they use something to switch their Active with a Benched, can the new Active Pokémon then retreat?

Effects of attacks like Spinarak's Spider Web (The Defending Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn) are only there as long as the defending Pokemon that was attacked stays the active Pokemon. So if the use a card like Switch then they'll be able to retreak again as normal.
An attack would have to be worded like SW Gardevoir's Psychic Lock if it were to stop all of their Pokemon from doing something next turn.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Effects of attacks like Spinarak's Spider Web (The Defending Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn) are only there as long as the defending Pokemon that was attacked stays the active Pokemon. So if the use a card like Switch then they'll be able to retreak again as normal.
An attack would have to be worded like SW Gardevoir's Psychic Lock if it were to stop all of their Pokemon from doing something next turn.

Alright, awesome. Speaking of that exact card, it says that your opponent can't use PokéPowers "on" his or her Pokémon. I'm assuming it means "PokéPowers of his or her Pokémon", right? (I could see why it says "on", since they are "on" the Pokémon, after all.)

Also, what effects does evolving a Pokémon lift in addition to Special Conditions? Would it remove that "the Defending Pokémon can't retreat during [this turn]" restriction of that Spinarak?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Alright, awesome. Speaking of that exact card, it says that your opponent can't use PokéPowers "on" his or her Pokémon. I'm assuming it means "PokéPowers of his or her Pokémon", right? (I could see why it says "on", since they are "on" the Pokémon, after all.)

Also, what effects does evolving a Pokémon lift in addition to Special Conditions? Would it remove that "the Defending Pokémon can't retreat during [this turn]" restriction of that Spinarak?

"On" seems like the right word choice to me. :/

And evolving or devolving (with a card's effect) removes pretty much the same effects from that Pokemon as the Pokemon going to the bench.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
"On" seems like the right word choice to me. :/

And evolving or devolving (with a card's effect) removes pretty much the same effects from that Pokemon as the Pokemon going to the bench.

Eh, "on" connotes that PokéPowers that affect a Pokémon can't be used, not PokéPowers that those Pokémon have in general. :/

Is there any particular reason why (d)evolving a Pokémon removes restrictions like that (and Special Conditions as well, if I remember correctly)? Or is it just intrinsically part of the game rules solely for balancing reasons?

Bla7kCaT

im looking for a way to skip a basic pokemon. anyway whatsoever. for example, i want to play a charmeleon (just an example), is there anyway in the game whatsoever he can ever make it on the field without having a charmander?
maybe a card that acts as a proxy for other pokemon, or a substitute basic, anything whatsoever at all?

Bla7kCaT

are there any TRAINER cards that let you access one of YOUR prize cards? i know Impostor Professor Oak's Invention lets your opponent shuffle their prizes into their deck and readd 6. and i know theres some japanese cards that do.. Lt. Surge's Treaty and Misty's Wish both do IF your oponent agrees.. are there any that actually let you get one of your prize cards?
or is there a card that makes your opponent activate one of your trainer cards (kind of a reverse approach)?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
im looking for a way to skip a basic pokemon. anyway whatsoever. for example, i want to play a charmeleon (just an example), is there anyway in the game whatsoever he can ever make it on the field without having a charmander?
maybe a card that acts as a proxy for other pokemon, or a substitute basic, anything whatsoever at all?

The only ways I can think of are Garchomp Lv.X's Restore attack or the supporter Archie.

are there any TRAINER cards that let you access one of YOUR prize cards? i know Impostor Professor Oak's Invention lets your opponent shuffle their prizes into their deck and readd 6. and i know theres some japanese cards that do.. Lt. Surge's Treaty and Misty's Wish both do IF your oponent agrees.. are there any that actually let you get one of your prize cards?
or is there a card that makes your opponent activate one of your trainer cards (kind of a reverse approach)?

This Rotom's PokePower comes to mind.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
Bla7kCaT@ azelf from legends awakens, also other then the new ditto, other wise no yomust evolve.

Wishing Star@ evolution and the loss of status effects is a format rule and unlimited rule, however if you would like to revise the rule for you're own game play that is possible.

Last edited:

Kraeseth

Greetings.

I would like to create a deck centered around 3 Aerodactyls from Dark Explorers... Having 3 of these Pokemon sat on my bench would provide a nice damage boost to the rest of my team thanks to Aerodactyl's passive ability "Ancient Scream". However I am unsure how exactly to get the Aerodactyls from my hand or deck onto my bench.

I have 2 Old Amber Item cards & I am in the process of obtaining a Twist Mountain Stadium card. When reading the description for each of these cards I am still somewhat confused...

Old Amber - Description: Look at the bottom 7 cards of your deck. You may reveal an Aerodactyl you find there & put it onto your bench. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

^^ I have started many games with an Aerodactyl or 2 dealt in my opening hand... So how do I get these cards from my hand to the bottom of my deck so that I can use an Old Amber to retrieve them?

Twist Mountain - Description: Once during each player's turn, that player may flip a coin. If heads, the player puts a Restored Pokemon from his or her hand onto his or her bench.

^^ What is the definition of a "Restored Pokemon" & how do you restore them? Does it mean that if I happen to have an Aerodactyl in my hand I can then play it?... Or is it required for an item (such as an Old Amber) to have been used on it?

Any info would be much appreciated. Also, any tips on how to play this style of deck would be most welcome too.

Many thanks for your time. :)

Last edited:

Asrialys

Old Amber - Description: Look at the bottom 7 cards of your deck. You may reveal an Aerodactyl you find there & put it onto your bench. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

^^ I have started many games with an Aerodactyl or 2 dealt in my opening hand... So how do I get these cards from my hand to the bottom of my deck so that I can use an Old Amber to retrieve them?
There currently aren't any cards that can put a card from your hand to the bottom of your deck. Your best bet is using N or Pokemon Communication to put them back into your deck. And then using an Old Amber to hopefully. I don't think there currently are any cards within the Modified format that can even take some cards from the top of your deck and put one or more on the bottom, like Call of Legends' Research Record.

Twist Mountain - Description: Once during each player's turn, that player may flip a coin. If heads, the player puts a Restored Pokemon from his or her hand onto his or her bench.

^^ What is the definition of a "Restored Pokemon" & how do you restore them? Does it mean that if I happen to have an Aerodactyl in my hand I can then play it?... Or is it required for an item (such as an Old Amber) to have been used on it?
Just like how a card is Basic or Stage 1, unevolved fossil Pokemon will instead say Restored.

Any info would be much appreciated. Also, any tips on how to play this style of deck would be most welcome too.
One effective combination is Tornadus EX and Twist Mountain. For a Double Colorless Energy, Tornadus EX can hit for 30 plus an other 30 if a Stadium card is in play.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
How do you tell whether or not something that's printed on a card is a cost?

For example, Ultra Ball says to "discard two cards from [the player's] hand" and that if the player can't discard two cards, they can't play Ultra Ball. This would mean that discarding two cards would be a cost.

However, Junk Arm says to "discard two cards from [the player's] hand" without explicitly saying that it can't be played if the user can't discard two cards.

Why is it that Junk Arm can't be used if my hand contains only it and a Water Energy? Why is it not assumed that Junk Arm's "discard two cards" is a "do as much as you can" thing?

Asrialys

How do you tell whether or not something that's printed on a card is a cost?

For example, Ultra Ball says to "discard two cards from [the player's] hand" and that if the player can't discard two cards, they can't play Ultra Ball. This would mean that discarding two cards would be a cost.

However, Junk Arm says to "discard two cards from [the player's] hand" without explicitly saying that it can't be played if the user can't discard two cards.

Why is it that Junk Arm can't be used if my hand contains only it and a Water Energy? Why is it not assumed that Junk Arm's "discard two cards" is a "do as much as you can" thing?
There can be some inconsistencies in wording for Trainer/Item cards, but essentially, Trainer/Item cards cannot be used with to no effect and you must be able to fulfill their costs to be able to use them. Once you are able to use a Trainer/Item card, then you can "do as much as you can" if you can perform at least one of its effects. You can only take one basic Energy from your discard pile with Energy Retrieval if there is only one there. You can search through your deck with an Ultra Ball or Pokemon Communication, but you can fail the search if you wish, since the deck is "private" to the rules of the game.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
There can be some inconsistencies in wording for Trainer/Item cards, but essentially, Trainer/Item cards cannot be used with to no effect and you must be able to fulfill their costs to be able to use them. Once you are able to use a Trainer/Item card, then you can "do as much as you can" if you can perform at least one of its effects. You can only take one basic Energy from your discard pile with Energy Retrieval if there is only one there. You can search through your deck with an Ultra Ball or Pokemon Communication, but you can fail the search if you wish, since the deck is "private" to the rules of the game.

How does the player specifically know whether or not the discard is part of Junk Arm's cost or part of Junk Arm's effect?

This also brings up a few other questions:

Rare Candy (Dark Explorers) says that "if [the player has] a Stage 2 card..." Does this mean that if I don't have a Stage 2 Pokémon on the chosen Basic Pokémon, I can still play it?

Twins reads, "search your deck for any two cards and put them into your hand." With Pokémon Communication and Energy Search, the opponent can't tell whether or not there is still a Pokémon card or basic Energy card still in the deck, which means failing to search is possible. With Twins, though, it doesn't specify what kinds of cards can and can't be found with it. Does this mean that I can't fail to search with Twins?

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
You guys read into things way to much. Most of pokemon card text is hypothetical, for-instance it always assumes you never have the card in you're hand (player friendly right, lol) but you must always do as the card says regardless of what you think it may say, and the cards cost is it's effect, it's the same thing really.

Now lets look at this delibird's present "flip a coin. if heads, search your deck for a card and put it into your hand" works no different then twins, rare candy, etc you must have the first condition to use the effect otherwise whats the point in putting down the condition in the first place.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
You guys read into things way to much. Most of pokemon card text is hypothetical, for-instance it always assumes you never have the card in you're hand (player friendly right, lol) but you must always do as the card says regardless of what you think it may say, and the cards cost is it's effect, it's the same thing really.

By definition, the cost of a card is different from its effect. From what I know, the cost is something that needs to be satisfied in order for something to happen (retreating requiring Energy equal to an Active Pokémon's retreat cost, the Energy cost of an attack, etc.), whereas the effect is something that is processed as much as possible (Zoroark's (BW) Foul Play copying Reshiram's (BW) Blue Flare attack and not having to discard two Fire Energy from Zoroark if none are attached).

But anyway, that doesn't answer my question about whether or not Junk Arm can be used even if I have zero cards or only one card in my hand excluding it. I would assume no, since it's a cost, but without interpreting ambiguous wording, how would a player know?

Now lets look at this delibird's present "flip a coin. if heads, search your deck for a card and put it into your hand" works no different then twins, rare candy, etc you must have the first condition to use the effect otherwise whats the point in putting down the condition in the first place.

That's not what I was asking with Twins. I know that in order for the card to even be used, I have to have more Prize Cards than my opponent. I was asking whether or not failing to find with Twins is possible since it doesn't require finding a card with a certain property (Energy card, Pokémon card, Supporter Card, etc.)

Asrialys

Rare Candy (Dark Explorers) says that "if [the player has] a Stage 2 card..." Does this mean that if I don't have a Stage 2 Pokémon on the chosen Basic Pokémon, I can still play it?
No, that's playing an Item card to no effect. You cannot do that. You're reading too much into "if".

Twins reads, "search your deck for any two cards and put them into your hand." With Pokémon Communication and Energy Search, the opponent can't tell whether or not there is still a Pokémon card or basic Energy card still in the deck, which means failing to search is possible. With Twins, though, it doesn't specify what kinds of cards can and can't be found with it. Does this mean that I can't fail to search with Twins?
No, Twins says that you must select two, not up to two. And of course, only one if you only have one card left. The game may not know what's in your deck or hand, but it does know how many cards are in your deck and how many are in your hand. You can fail a search for a specific card, because what's in your deck is "private" until shown.

But anyway, that doesn't answer my question about whether or not Junk Arm can be used even if I have zero cards or only one card in my hand excluding it. I would assume no, since it's a cost, but without interpreting ambiguous wording, how would a player know?
Well, the player should ask if they have any questions. Hopefully, he or she is attending a league, which are great places to learn about official rulings and how cards properly work. Wordings can be a bit weird since they sometimes change slightly due to technicalities. Questions always arise because the ones who make the game try to find some way to change the pace and balance of the game. There's the old Night Maintenance and the current Super Rod. Both with very similar effects, but the former allows for up to three, while the latter requires three or as much as you can. If they could cover all technicalities on the cards, they would just be exhausting to read, especially for the young ones.

Pokegym's Compendium contains useful, official rulings and you can find questions others have in Pokegym's Ask the Rules Team forum. Rulings and decisions made in those places are official.