1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon TCG Help Thread [Gameplay questions]

Discussion in 'Pokémon TCG Discussion' started by Fox, Sep 19, 2005.

1. ven?

ven? Kanto Region Champ

I will say this once more, without cost there is no effect.

Edit: but you still have to discard the energy and that is the cost, regardless if they are the actual energy or special energy, so you pretty much just proved yourself wrong, my work here is done.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. Lady Eli

Lady Eli Member

I'm just wondering about this since I was remembering game play ideas. Is there such a thing as Double Battles in the Pokemon Trading Card Game or did that fade away from the gaming world.

3. ven?

ven? Kanto Region Champ

Yes there is, we don't play them at tournaments as far as I know but they do exist.

4. Asrialys

Asrialys Well-Known Member

It sort of faded away, especially since current cards are no longer worded as if there are more than two Active Pokemon. If anyone wants to do double battles, they'd need to just establish their own rules, or find the last official gameplay rules or some other set of rules that make sense.

5. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

Okay, I have a multi-part question about a casual game I played last night with a friend. (We are both only casual players, and we play Unlimited.)
    The three cards involved are:
    Kingdra Lv. 52 (Diamond and Pearl: Legends Awakened, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kingdra_(Legends_Awakened_7))
    Ditto Lv. 20 (Fossil, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ditto_(Fossil_3))
    Clefable Lv. 34 (Jungle, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Clefable_(Jungle_1))

My active Pokémon is Kingdra when he brings Ditto up from his bench, so Ditto becomes Kingdra. Ditto Knocks Out my Kingdra when Ditto has 10 damage counters on it. When I then bring up Clefable as my next Active Pokémon, does Ditto become Clefable and automatically faint because it has 10 damage counters on it and only 70 HP? That's what I thought, but he said its Pokémon Power should be treated as a Poké-Power rather than as a Poké-Body, and so he had the option of when to use it. He said he wasn't going to use it, so it is still Kingdra, and so I let it go.

Later, on my next turn I tried to use Clefable's Metronome to copy Ditto's Dragon Pump, and I thought I could do 60 damage to Ditto and 20 to a Benched Pokémon without discarding anything, but he said no. We had a small debate about it, and I thought I could do this because Metronome says that I don't have to execute costs required to use the attack. My argument was that even though the discarding wasn't required to do the 40, it was required to do the 60 + 20>Bench, so it was required, and I didn't have to discard them. In the end, I let that go as well, though, and we assumed that I had to discard the cards.

On both of these questions, could you please tell me what the correct ruling should be? I don't want to win (or lose) an argument, and anyway the battle's over; I just want to know for the future if similar situations arise (especially on the first question because I'm sure he will use that Ditto again).

6. ven?

ven? Kanto Region Champ

Sucks but yes, because ditto only has 50 hp.

I quote the card on this one "anything else required in order to use that attack" so if there is a cost or effect to the attack it still applys,

7. TheEmeraldKnight

TheEmeraldKnight Lookin' for Shinies

Okay so I have a question about the Crystal Wall. It says that Black Kyurem-EX's it's maximum HP is 300. So does that mean that Black Kyurem-EX's HP is now 180/300 or is it 300/300

8. Asrialys

Asrialys Well-Known Member

It will be 300/300.

9. TheEmeraldKnight

Thank you Asrialys

10. Lightning Dragon

Lightning Dragon LIGHTNING FLIGHT!!!!

I have a question about the special conditions...

My friend at my school who knows how to play the TCG (there are at least 2 seniors that play it), says the special conditions go in a way... like, moving the card in a reverse or, turning the card right for sleep... something like that... well, I question how can you tell if a Pokémon is confused if there is no turning for the card? And, also... which turnings for burn, poison, and paralysis?

11. TheEmeraldKnight

You turn the card upside down so the name is facing you for confusion. Paralysis ic clockwise Sleep is counter clockwise and burn and poison you use a counter

12. Can I ask 2 questions about special energies, if anyone could answer please:
    1.are you allowed 4 of each type of special energy (eg 4 plasma energies & 4 double colourless) or 4 all together?
    2.Can any trainer card get back a special energy from the discard pile?

13. ven?

ven? Kanto Region Champ

1. For special energy you are only allowed 4 of each card no differently then pokemon and T/S/S amounts.
    2. Do exactly as the card text says, so no.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  14. JTurls97

JTurls97 I Trust in Mew

Hey guys, I never played pokemon TCG as a little kid, but I loved the video games. Now as a teen I am wondering if I should start playing the TCG. When I first started playing yugioh 7 years ago, it took me awhile to truly understand how to play. So my questions are:
    1. Is pokemon TCG fun?
    2. Is there a steep learning curve?
    3. Is it expensive to make a good deck (yugioh can be pretty expensive at times)
    4. Do you have any pointers/ advice to give me?
    Thanks in advance!

15. ven?

ven? Kanto Region Champ

1. Depends on if you like it or not, I like it.
    2. depends on you're player level before pokemon, how relatable it is, etc.
    3. Yes and no, we have alot of variety when it comes to the price range of decks, we go from 60$ decks to 1000-2000$ decks.
    4. What pokemon do you want to play?

16. Swagsire

Swagsire Well-Known Member

This looked like fun to answer
    1.No. It's very labor intensive and we all hate it. Of course it's fun! That's what games are for!
    2. I wouldn't say steep. considering you're talking about yugioh, I figure you can play card games, so youre good! After all, a yugioh player from my card shop came to league today with a friends deck and scored first!
    3. Depends on what deck. You can build a good deck for I'd think 100 or more (Pokémon catcher is the only REALLY expensive staple.)
    4.To be a good player you have to know your deck. To be a great player, you have to know other decks. It really doesn't even matter if you can see the opponents card when they play it. If you cant brace for it you WILL misplay. This is why I run garbodor.(which is wonderfully cheap bty)

Hope this helps! Qwaa ;195;

17. SpoinkyPearl

SpoinkyPearl Well-Known Member

I'm coming back to TCG and I have this question that had been bothering me. Was there any limit how many of same card you can have in one deck? For example, if I want to run an Eeveelutions deck and I need lot of Eevees, can I actually use many Eevees or only limited number of them?

Or how many Pokémon Exs or something other special cards you can have? I remember that there was some rule limiting the amount of Pokémon EX in one deck but of course I can't remember it anymore. Was there any other limits for special cards like shiny Pokémon or rare energy cards?

18. SkittyOnWailord

SkittyOnWailord ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

You can have as many basic energy cards as you want. But you can only have a total of 4 of any card with the same name. For example, you can only have 4 cards named Blaziken in your deck whether they're from different sets or not. But you can have 4 cards named Blaziken, 4 cards named Blaziken FB and 4 cards named Blaziken ex in the same deck. It all depends on the card's exact name.

Other than that, a few cards (though not many) will have limitations on how many of them you can have in a deck written right on them. Like how Mudkip* says "You can't have more than one Pokemon* in your deck" or how the trainer card Life Dew says "You can't have more than 1 Ace Spec card in your deck".

19. Swagsire

Swagsire Well-Known Member

The new silver mirror. Do we have any idea if the damage is before or after weakness and resistance? Because the current translation states nothing of the sort. Qwaa ;195;

20. ven?

ven? Kanto Region Champ

Silver mirror is neither, as it negates all effects of an attack including dmg done from a team plasma pokemon (I just decided to say it from a yugioh standpoint, rather odd I don't play that game).