• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon TCG Questions Thread [general questions]

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I found these in my collection and was wondering what set they are from. The Lucario and Riolu have lucario symbols but different numbers and the floatzle has a manaphy symbol. Can someone help me?

Note. I could not find a image of floatzle on the internet but the card is like this one but with the manaphy symbol in the corner.

http://pokebeach.com/news/1007/lucario-tk.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/23/!BolzO3w!2k~$(KGrHqYH-CQEuJowI51SBLo!WNlgbQ~~_35.JPG

http://www.collectorscache.com/StoreModules/ProductImages/590/floatzel026.jpg

They're from the first D/P Trainer Kit.

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
ok i have another question. What cards are currently usable in tournaments?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
ok i have another question. What cards are currently usable in tournaments?

These sets and promos are currently modified legal.

Heart Gold Soul Silver
HS Unleashed
HS Undaunted
HS Triumphant
Call of Legends
Black and White
BW Emerging Powers
BW Noble Victories
HS Trainer Kit
BW Trainer Kit
Black Star Promo Cards numbered HGSS01 and higher and Black Star Promo Cards numbered BW01 and higher
2011 McDonalds promos
Battle Road: Victory Medal
Battle Road: Victory Cup

srtrdd

Hey, I was wondering about some things from way back mostly for the sake of nostalgia.

I haven't played the TCG since the first or second generation but I vaguely remember reading something about a world championship from around that time. I think the winner had a deck that was based on abusing tyrogue's ability to dodge attacks on a coin flip to set up some strategy (maybe involving donphan or something). Also wigglytuff might have been banned for being too good (which I find hilarious when glancing at some of the modern cards). Does anyone recall anything like that? Google has failed me presumably because it was so long ago.

Also has power creep been as ridiculous as it looks? Because it looks like there are basic level pokemon now that make the original charizard look like a joke power-wise. Incidentally why is everything basic now? Are they just removing evolution from the game?

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
Cards in pokemon are not banned, only rotated out so we can pllay with newer set's so new player's don't have to worry about spending excessive amonts of money to make a deck and it keeps things current and fresh.

Evolution is still used in the format, the top teir deck reshiram uses stage 2 pokemon, typloshion prime and emboar prime to make they're mark on the format, as well as stage 2 magnezone and stage 1 yanmega, stage evo's are as evenly played as basic pokemon in this format giving way to a whole array of strategy's.

srtrdd

Were cards banned back when WotC ran pokemon? Based on the context I'm guessing I'm remembering something from around that time.

So what's with all the evolved pokemon that are now basic level cards?

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
Well, you can't play those cards in the TCG game without their basic forms, so yeah.

Asrialys

Were cards banned back when WotC ran pokemon? Based on the context I'm guessing I'm remembering something from around that time.
Some were. But nothing that significant.

So what's with all the evolved pokemon that are now basic level cards?
The SP Pokemon? Those aren't even modified-legal anymore anyway.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
So I bought a Platinum Arceus deck, but I'm missing some basic pokemon (I have Toxicroak, but no Croagunk, I have Glalie & Froslass, but no Snorunt, etc), Does it really matter?

More clearly: to collect no it doesn't, to play the card you need the corresponding basic or lower stage evolution to be able to evolve the card, so to play a froslass you need a snorunt.

LRaion

I think you might need to really know your stuff to answer this one

I have a question having to do with base set cards that I could not tell if it fit here or needed its own thread, but why not I think i'll ask here

The question is

Is there a first edition form of the japanese base set booster box? I can find literally nothing on the subject.

If the answer is yes then I would like to politely follow up by asking, is there any way to visibly distinguish the 1st edition japanese box from the normal one?

Asrialys

I think you might need to really know your stuff to answer this one

I have a question having to do with base set cards that I could not tell if it fit here or needed its own thread, but why not I think i'll ask here

The question is

Is there a first edition form of the japanese base set booster box? I can find literally nothing on the subject.

If the answer is yes then I would like to politely follow up by asking, is there any way to visibly distinguish the 1st edition japanese box from the normal one?
There is no Japanese 1st Edition Base Set. Wizards of the Coast used them first, and then Japan started doing it several sets later.

Just got some questions guys, are there any differences between an English card across different nations?

For example is there any difference between American pokemon cards and Australian pokemon cards? As I would like to purchase some Ex Ruby and Sapphire boosters but those are quite slippery to attain here.

Also how do some people still have Base set booster packs to sell? Did someone really hold onto them for 12 years? The seller is definitely legitimate.

donavannj

Just got some questions guys, are there any differences between an English card across different nations?

For example is there any difference between American pokemon cards and Australian pokemon cards? As I would like to purchase some Ex Ruby and Sapphire boosters but those are quite slippery to attain here.

Also how do some people still have Base set booster packs to sell? Did someone really hold onto them for 12 years? The seller is definitely legitimate.

If my memory serves, they are standardized across all countries that speak a certain language.

And people actually have held onto boosters that long. It's because they figured they'd still have value if they didn't open them.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
If my memory serves, they are standardized across all countries that speak a certain language.

Actually they were slightly different in the ex-era. The boxes then said either "For sale in North America only" or "For sale in Europe only" (or something along those lines). There's no major difference between them. But I did notice that ex's from the European packs were noticably glossier.

Lindis

http://i39.*******.com/n6cb9v.jpg
Do you guys think these are real or fake? I am a bit confused of why the 1 edition ones looks so bent?

Aenea

Creator Of Victory
I started collecting the B&W (normal, though I have some noble victories and emerging powers cards) set recently, and something about the cards really annoys me when it comes to shinies.

Obviously, for a collector you want to collect them all.

However, just to give an example, the Emboar card in the deck has about 6? supposedly different variations.

1. Normal, no shine.
2. Normal, shiny pic with stripes for shines.
3. Normal, shiny pic with triangle patterned shine.
4. Shiny all over, no shine on pic.
5. Shiny all over, shiny pic with stripes for shines.
6. Shiny all over, shiny pic with triangle patterned shine.

Yes, I do realise how much I am overthinking this, but then that's what a good/true collector does.

My question is: Does this hold true for ALL the shiny type cards in the set? Am I right in thinking that that's the total number of variations of a shiny card? What can I do to make my task less arduous- ie- what do you do?

Thankyou for any help & replies.

Last edited:

No. 1 Machop Fan

The Espeon in the Daybreak deck has the Poke-Body Evolution Memories, which allows it to use the moves of other Eeveelutions in play. If Espeon uses such a move, will it be considered a Psychic attack?