• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon TCG Questions Thread [general questions]

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
i was looking through some of my older cards, and found a Mr. Mime from Aquapolis, and saw it said '95b/147'. i then looked on the serebii database and the picture says '95a/147'. is there any reason for this? also, my card is an e-reader card.

From what I remember (I might be wrong) it has to do with the e-reader barcode on it. IIRC you needed to scan both Mr. Mime cards to play a certain minigame.

Darkthoughts

NVIP veteran
I typed Raichu into the database but couldn't see my card, I'm just trying to find out what set it's from to see if I can use it in my deck - can anyone help:

raichu.jpg

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I typed Raichu into the database but couldn't see my card, I'm just trying to find out what set it's from to see if I can use it in my deck - can anyone help:

raichu.jpg

That Raichu is from the HGSS Trainer Kit. It's currently legal in modified and is perfectly playable.

G50

No longer posting
Thank you! Does modified mean decks that you've customised with other sets?

Yes, but it refers to customizations of decks that are HG/SS and newer, plus the sets and promos that Skitty on Wailord listed

Last edited:

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Yes, but it refers to customizations of Neo: Genesis or newer decks.

Actually the modidied format only uses cards from these sets and promos, not Neo Genesis and up.

Heart Gold Soul Silver
HS Unleashed
HS Undaunted
HS Triumphant
Call of Legends
Black and White
BW Emerging Powers
BW Noble Victories
BW Next Destinies
HS Trainer Kit
BW Trainer Kit
Black Star Promo Cards numbered HGSS01 and higher and Black Star Promo Cards numbered BW01 and higher
2011 McDonalds promos
Battle Road: Victory Medal
Battle Road: Victory Cup

VelveteenWolf

Electricity Trainer
Anyone know any good books on collecting Pokemon cards? Also, the best place to buy cards by themselves, like the older ones, and a cheep but good binder with pocket sheets to hold all my cards? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
Anyone know any good books on collecting Pokemon cards? Also, the best place to buy cards by themselves, like the older ones, and a cheep but good binder with pocket sheets to hold all my cards? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

*Good* books on card collecting are hard to find. Unless the all the cards are no longer in production, many people don't bother as the book will soon quickly become out of date due to new cards being released. I would try to find a good website to look on. Books on *how* to collect cards are probably numerous.
It depends what you mean by older cards- cards like the HG/SS series would probably be considered "old", yet many shops due still sell them. If you mean base sets/neo gen etc, I would try individual collectors shop-you won't get them in up-to-date ones. Older cards are also more expensive, and if you want packs that haven't been open, expect probably $9-14.
However, if you or one of your parents has an ebay account, then older cards are easy to find. You can also buy folder this way to- usually when you by a folder they come with a few pocket sheets, but you can also buy these separately.

VelveteenWolf

Electricity Trainer
Would a regular cheap binder work and just buy the sheets separate? Also, is there a 18 pocket sheet binder?

Electricbluewolf

Would a regular cheap binder work and just buy the sheets separate? Also, is there a 18 pocket sheet binder?

Yep that would work just as well- I would suggest a thick cardboard binder which you can pretty much get anywhere-plastic is sometimes to flimsy and a thick one protects the cards. The standard pocket sheet has 9 slots, but 2 cards can fit into those slots so you have 18 cards in each pocket sheet. I haven't found one with 18 on each side (I think it would be a bit to small XD)

VelveteenWolf

Electricity Trainer
Thanks for the help! :)

LordCBH

My friend and I want to split a booster box, and I've seen various web sites that carry them. As far as reliable web sites go to buy them, what would you guys suggest?

Electricbluewolf

My friend and I want to split a booster box, and I've seen various web sites that carry them. As far as reliable web sites go to buy them, what would you guys suggest?

Ohhh, when I buy any booster boxes, I do try ebay. Usually the boxes can be pretty cheap-and saw a box going for about £36. I would try Amazon as well-they do good boxes. I'm sure there are independent game stores that have websites could order them in as well n_n

LordCBH

Ohhh, when I buy any booster boxes, I do try ebay. Usually the boxes can be pretty cheap-and saw a box going for about £36. I would try Amazon as well-they do good boxes. I'm sure there are independent game stores that have websites could order them in as well n_n

I hadn't even thought of Ebay. I looked up Amazon and saw they have an Emerging Powers box for about $80. Looks nice, may be worth a buy.

KantoMasta

call me KM!
ok, I think this is the right place to ask this. I collect the cards, dont really play competitively, so I have recently tried trading cards. Does this sound like a fair trade to you guys?

(Mine) Promo Meganium HGSS08 and Promo HGSS02 Lugia for a Fossil Zapdos (15/62) and an Ancient Mew? Im also talking value-wise, not gameplay wise.

Electricbluewolf

ok, I think this is the right place to ask this. I collect the cards, dont really play competitively, so I have recently tried trading cards. Does this sound like a fair trade to you guys?

(Mine) Promo Meganium HGSS08 and Promo HGSS02 Lugia for a Fossil Zapdos (15/62) and an Ancient Mew? Im also talking value-wise, not gameplay wise.

Essh, that is a hard one. What are the condition of the cards? If there all mint/nr mint, I would say the promos are over paying. I know this is strange, seeming as the other cards are older, but the Meganium is a Prime, and a lot of people pay good money for Primes. You can get Ancient (Sealed) Mews on ebay for as little as £2.00- people got an awful lot of them from movies, and sell them off slowly. People are also very "hard" to trade older cards to- usually older players look for them, but by now, they would have already got them. That's my opinion n_n

LordCBH

I've just gotten around to collecting cards again, and I've noticed there are so many different types of rares and what not. I've seen words like Prime, EX, Lv. X, and all that, so my question is what are they exactly? It may sound like a stupid question, but for someone who hasn't collected since the Base/Fossil/Jungle Sets, the different terminology and values is a bit confusing.

Electricbluewolf

I've just gotten around to collecting cards again, and I've noticed there are so many different types of rares and what not. I've seen words like Prime, EX, Lv. X, and all that, so my question is what are they exactly? It may sound like a stupid question, but for someone who hasn't collected since the Base/Fossil/Jungle Sets, the different terminology and values is a bit confusing.

Okay, since you haven't been from base set, I'll give a quick explanation:

Shining: These came from the originally from the neo sets. Cards include "Shining Charizard", "Shining Steelix" "Shining Tyranitar". They were the first "shiny" version of pokemon, and came out during gold/silver. These cards get big money especially if their in mint/nr mint condition. Pic.

Ex's: These came during the release of Fire Red/Leaf Green (I seem to recall) Ex's were "ultra-rare" and sometimes powerful cards. Old ex's sometimes get more than new ones. Pic.

Gold star: These came out near Ruby/Sapphire releases. These were mega rare cards. They were shiny versions of pokemon. Mew goes for a lot, so does suicune. If you can get one for under $20, you have yourself a real bargain. Pic.

Lv.X: These came out with Pearl/Diamond. These again were rare and sometimes powerful cards. They were the first to have the pokemon "popping out" off the picture box. Pic.

Primes: Came out during HG/SS- there were "dark" images of pokemon, and were fairly rare and fairly valuable. Pic.

EX: These came out just recently. The EX pokemon are like the original ex's, but the EX is all capitalized. These have a fairly good move sets, and some go for over $17 on ebay. Pic.

FA:Fa's are Full Arts. This is where the pokemon takes up the whole card. They're worth quite a bit- I hear the "N" FA is very sort after. Pic