• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon TCG Questions Thread [general questions]

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
uh...*sigh...face palm*

@cameronius: I'd say start with the newer packs like dragons exalted and boundarys crossed, also check out the rayquaza, mewtwo and darkrai EX tins, they go a long way in this format weather or not you want to pick up the game again or want to play tournament or competitive.

@XD:KIRLIA: How do I say this nicely, with much diligence online you might find info like that on worlds at best, most stuff like that gets cleaned out a few months after it's posted to a year or 2 tops. But this is the best archive I know of for this kind of stuff

Magnaos

An ignorant looking for informations about particular cards :)

Hello, it seems that you are people who knows a lot about Pokemon TCG, I played this game only until 9 years old and now I'm 18, so I can't remember a lot about it... I just want to ask you a question...

While looking around in my house I found these cards in a drawer, and I can't understand from which expansion they're from, or if they're promos, etc...

In this image you can see that they're a lot bigger than a normal card (i used a Grimer to compare them), and both Suicune and Alakazam are "foil" meanwhile Charizard's background is transparent.

Alakazam and Grimer's text is in Italian because it's my native language ;)

Can you help me?

EDIT: I uploaded the image on *******, hoping it works...

http://i49.*******.com/6zy9tz.jpg

Last edited:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
To me they look like fakes, the simple fact of alakazam not having the e reader symbol in the bottom corner, but it could be from either the jamboree set or the Unnamed Wizards Set, but due to size and slight inconsistencys I dunno, I never got a card from either of the sets, neither have I seen the Unnamed Wizards Set cards because they are an urban legend, but the set symbol seem's like it's from a fake or the jamboree set, I dunno, if not then it would make sense that they are fakes.

Last edited:

Victini-V

V-King
Super Luck and Also a Question to Those of you who Could Answer it

Hi guys!
I was wondering if any of you guys know what the chances are of pulling an ex nowadays. I have just started playing Pokemon card game;484; and on my first Boundaries Crossed booster pack ( I only bought one), I got a Cresselia EX full art.... My friend told me that I pulled out a really rare card but I'm not really sure cause another one of my friends pulled out a HoOh EX on his second (I believe...) pack. So I'm asking those of you who play the card game. What are the chances?

jerbuta

Pokemon Breeder
There are a total of 4 EXs in each booster box so you came out pretty lucky.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Hello, it seems that you are people who knows a lot about Pokemon TCG, I played this game only until 9 years old and now I'm 18, so I can't remember a lot about it... I just want to ask you a question...

While looking around in my house I found these cards in a drawer, and I can't understand from which expansion they're from, or if they're promos, etc...

In this image you can see that they're a lot bigger than a normal card (i used a Grimer to compare them), and both Suicune and Alakazam are "foil" meanwhile Charizard's background is transparent.

Can you help me?

They're box toppers. There were a few sets at that time where you got one of those inside each booster box above the packs. There were 4 per set and the sets they came from were Expedition, Aquapolis, Skyridge and Legendary Collection.

There are a total of 4 EXs in each booster box so you came out pretty lucky.

Actually it varies alot more than that. I've seen boxes of Boundries Crossed oppened with as much as 6 EXs and as little as 1 EX.

Last edited:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
SkittyonWailord said:
They're box toppers. There were a few sets at that time where you got one of those inside each booster box above the packs. There were 4 per set and the sets they came from were Expedition, Aquapolis, Skyridge and Legendary Collection.

Oh thats why, I never buyed boxes for those set's nor cared to take notice, but I have seen that symbol before so it was bugging me, ty skitty.

Flygon_Frank_66

The Mystical Master

Can you help me?

Very nice box toppers!! I have never seen one in Italian... Didn't even know they made them in foreign languages.

Ginger Turtle

So, this might be a stupid question, and I might just be a bit confused on the rulings, but I've been confused by the Cobalion from Noble Victories.

84-cobalion.jpg

Iron Breaker prevents the defending pokemon from attacking during the opponent's next turn. Does that still apply if the defending pokemon that was hit by Iron Breaker faints or retreats, and a new defending pokemon takes it place?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
So, this might be a stupid question, and I might just be a bit confused on the rulings, but I've been confused by the Cobalion from Noble Victories.

Iron Breaker prevents the defending pokemon from attacking during the opponent's next turn. Does that still apply if the defending pokemon that was hit by Iron Breaker faints or retreats, and a new defending pokemon takes it place?

Attack effects like Iron Breaker's only last as long as the Pokemon that was attacked stays the active Pokemon. If the Pokemon that was attacked goes to the bench (and even it it becomes active again with something like Switch) then it'll be able to attack again. And it won't have any effect on a Pokemon that's KO'd by the attack since it's not the active Pokemon any more and is in the discard pile.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Anybody know why porygon cards are so horrible? Normal porygon is a decent pokemon, but the cards are some of the worst I've seen.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Anybody know why porygon cards are so horrible? Normal porygon is a decent pokemon, but the cards are some of the worst I've seen.

I guess it's all based on personal opinion then? The Porygon line is using in more than 50% of all competitive unlimited decks.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
I agree, proygon is a great line in unlimited. Proygon 2 allows the use of an extra supporter, lv.x and Z have great ability's.

Odd question, what would be better spread with a power lock on you're defending only if I could use 1 N or pont with 2 porygon 2 then it would allow me to use 2 seeker, 4 poke turn with crobat G and then play vileplume couldn't I just use kyogre EX the same turn or use kyurem glaciate, regardless of what kind of deck you're against, what would you think is better?

Kanethedragon

Veteran Pokegamer
Quick question, are there any banned cards at all for tournaments, but is it open play with only a four of the same card limit. And can one pokemon but from different releases be counted as different cards, or is it four throughout?

Asrialys

Quick question, are there any banned cards at all for tournaments
There are technically no banned cards. You just can't play cards that are not present or reprinted in the current modified-legal format.

but is it open play with only a four of the same card limit. And can one pokemon but from different releases be counted as different cards, or is it four throughout?
General rule about the four-card limit is that if it has the same name with the same spelling, then it counts toward the limit. There are very few exceptions. Back when we had Lv. X cards, those cards and the Pokemon from which they leveled up were counted as the same Pokemon. However, with the current EX cards, they are counted as different. So you can have four Terrakion and four Terrakion EX in a deck. And even if a particular Pokemon appears in several different sets, you can only have up to four of that Pokemon. You can use four different Darumaka, but you can't use any more than that.

Kanethedragon

Veteran Pokegamer
There are technically no banned cards. You just can't play cards that are not present or reprinted in the current modified-legal format.

General rule about the four-card limit is that if it has the same name with the same spelling, then it counts toward the limit. There are very few exceptions. Back when we had Lv. X cards, those cards and the Pokemon from which they leveled up were counted as the same Pokemon. However, with the current EX cards, they are counted as different. So you can have four Terrakion and four Terrakion EX in a deck. And even if a particular Pokemon appears in several different sets, you can only have up to four of that Pokemon. You can use four different Darumaka, but you can't use any more than that.

Okay thanks, and what does it mean about whether the card is present in the current modified-legal format? Meaning that the same pokemon is in it, or that that specific card is in it? For example, would I be able to use something like an old Holon's Magnemite or Team Magma cards in the current legal format? Or would they be considered uneligible to be played? It's been a while since I last updated my Pokemon cards, with a large amount being from the 2000-2008 era.

Asrialys

Okay thanks, and what does it mean about whether the card is present in the current modified-legal format? Meaning that the same pokemon is in it, or that that specific card is in it? For example, would I be able to use something like an old Holon's Magnemite or Team Magma cards in the current legal format? Or would they be considered uneligible to be played? It's been a while since I last updated my Pokemon cards, with a large amount being from the 2000-2008 era.
Those cards are not allowed in the current modified-legal format. Below is the list of sets currently allowed in the modified format. Some cards from these sets, like PlusPower and Potion are reprints of old cards. Old cards that share the same name and similar effect can be used, but you must/B] use the most recent wording. It's easier to just use the latest release of reprinted cards. And just so you know, the old Computer Search cannot be used in place of the new Computer Search, as the old one is not an "Ace Spec" card.

Black & White
Black & White - Emerging Powers
Black & White - Noble Victories
Black & White - Next Destinies
Black & White - Dark Explorers
Black & White - Dragons Exalted
Black & White - Boundaries Crossed
Dragon Vault
Black & White Trainer Kit
Promos BW01+
Black & White McDonald's Collection

Black & White: Plasma Storm will be joining this list on February 6th.

Kanethedragon

Veteran Pokegamer
Those cards are not allowed in the current modified-legal format. Below is the list of sets currently allowed in the modified format. Some cards from these sets, like PlusPower and Potion are reprints of old cards. Old cards that share the same name and similar effect can be used, but you must/B] use the most recent wording. It's easier to just use the latest release of reprinted cards. And just so you know, the old Computer Search cannot be used in place of the new Computer Search, as the old one is not an "Ace Spec" card.

Black & White
Black & White - Emerging Powers
Black & White - Noble Victories
Black & White - Next Destinies
Black & White - Dark Explorers
Black & White - Dragons Exalted
Black & White - Boundaries Crossed
Dragon Vault
Black & White Trainer Kit
Promos BW01+
Black & White McDonald's Collection

Black & White: Plasma Storm will be joining this list on February 6th.

Ah okay, thanks. Meaning I have to start most of everything anew probably.