• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon TCG Questions Thread [general questions]

Cipher 2008

*bangs head against keyboard* I'm thinking of WindBlast, aren't I? :p

I couldn't tell you the English name of Windstorm yet. It'll probably remaim that. But what I've seen of the CG trainers, none have that effect.

TogeticTheRuler

Okee im a newb at cards and just bought it 2 days ago,whats a benched pokemon,whats a basic pokemon,etc,etc,what the heck does this root and claw fossil do?

Ryu99

with the release of crystal guardians what sets are now legal to use in proper tournaments as i have deck which uses cards from sets as old as ruby and sapphire which would mean i can't use them ( sat here sobbing) if anyone knows please tell me thankyou

Cipher 2008

As of 1 September 2006, the following sets and cards are legal to use in the Modified Format:

EX Deoxys
EX Emerald
EX Unseen Forces
EX Delta Species
EX Legend Maker
EX Holon Phantoms
EX Crystal Guardians
EX Dragon Frontiers (when released in November)

EX Trainer Kit 2
POP Series 2
POP Series 3
POP Series 4
Black Star Promo Cards 029 and up

All sets released as of September 1, 2006 will be legal for the Modified Format DX-on.

Ryu99

thankyou hopefully i should be able to create something with what i've got i have to lose gardevoir ex from sandstrom which is a shame coz it keeps winning for me oh well i'll have to try and get dusclops ex from emerald that card hurts as well

WGTT

Beginning Trainer
Here is a question from me
My question is about Mew EX from Legend maker
example
if you do a versatile Poke-Boddy.
and you take over the Powder Blow Attack of Team Aqua's Walrein
Powderblow:
Does 10 damage + 10 more damage for each energy attached to Team Aqua's Walrein.

If you attack with Mew EX ? Does this move 10 + 10 more damage for each Energy Card on Mew EX or 10 + 10 more damage for each Energy Card on Team Aqua's Walrein

WGTT

Beginning Trainer
Here is a question from me
My question is about Mew EX from Legend maker
example
if you do a versatile Poke-Boddy.
and you take over the Powder Blow Attack of Team Aqua's Walrein
Powderblow:
Does 10 damage + 10 more damage for each energy attached to Team Aqua's Walrein.

If you attack with Mew EX ? Does this move 10 + 10 more damage for each Energy Card on Mew EX or 10 + 10 more damage for each Energy Card on Team Aqua's Walrein

Edit : sorry for the dubbelposting

Cipher 2008

Just so everybody knows...

88.jpg

006.jpg

Read the attack as so: "Does 10 damage plus 10 more damage for each Energy attached to this Pokémon." Whenever a Pokémon's name is referred to on its own card, read it as this Pokémon.

So in your case, it'd be "Does 10 damage plus 10 more damage for each Energy attached to Mew ex." Power Blow would take from Mew ex.

OK? Hope that helps. :)

NEXT! :p

Mech_Master

Hmmm I've only more recently gotten back into the tcg and I noticed a lot of people play with fewer energies and a lot more trainers. But I don't really have any idea what kind of trainers I should be putting into my deck(s). What are some generally good trainers to put in a deck?

okothnuva

or something
TV Reporter
Holon Transceiver, Mentor, Researcher (if playing deltas), Scientist
RARE CANDY!!! .
Celio's Network
Great Ball
Mr. Briney's Compassion

I could go on and on with the list.

I have a question and it's reeeeeally old. I live in Australia and I don't know if this question applies elsewhere.

A looong time ago, when the Pokemon Fossil set came out, all the cards (probably except for the holos) were laminated. They were really shiny. The backs of the cards were off colour -the blue was closer to purple on some- and the sizses were slightly smaller than other cards. These were sold just like the other decks; Base, Jungle, any others, and sold along-side them. (And I'm not talking about those shoddy stores selling random stuff. I mean supermarkets where everything is organised on shelves etc.) Unlike "normal" fake cards, the backs of these had 'tm' clearly printed at the end of "Pokemon", just like normal real cards.
My friends said somehting like "they're fakes; the only way to get real Fossil cards is to buy them from the US...etc..." but I didn't really understand what they meant. Why was it the Fossil cards that were impossible to get as real, normal cards? Why weren't they being sold here in Australia? Why would they sell and advertise a deck of fake cards, and in such official packaging?

There were a few real Fossil cards around that kids had here and there. "Real" packs were probably sold later on. But what I don't understand is; What happened back then? These cards were being sold with the Jungle cards and Base Set cards on the same shelves, but these just were different. They weren't real, but then they were real, being sold as the real, official thing. You guys are probably thinking "yeah, it's normal, finding places selling fake cards...etc" But the thing is, at that time, no real Fossil cards could be found in shops.

Does anyone have an explanation of what happened. Was there ever anything like that in the US??

Btw, that makes me wonder, are the cards in the US same as here? Blue backs with the Yellow Pokemon logo at the top and bottom, a Pokeball in the centre.

pwn3d91

Munchlax is greedy
Hey guys, I'm trying to get back into the TCG, but the only league near me is the one in manhattan, Nintendo World, and when I was there last time, the oldest person there was about 10, maybe 11. Was it probably just a bad day? I feel kind of embarassed playing it at 15, but I love the game and everyone around me "grew up". so is there like a statistic or something of peoples ages who play the TCG? Thanks.

Cipher 2008

Where I play at the tournament there's people as old as 20. The 15 and overs (Masters Division) group is quite full. :) It was probably just a bad day.

Noodles

Dazzled By The Roses
i wanna ask u guys about modified card.

1] what does modified card mean??
2] which expension hav modified card??
3] what's the risk using modified card??
4] are modified card tournament legal??
5] which tounament won't allow you to use modified card??

Cipher 2008

1)A modified card is ANY card from the following sets: Deoxys; Emerald; Unseen Forces; Delta Species; Legend Maker; Holon Phantoms; Crystal Guardians; Dragon Frontiers (out November 8); POP Series 2, 3 and 4; EX Trainer Kit 2; Blaxck Star Promo cards 029 and up.

2) See above.

3) There are no risks. You have to change your deck on 1 September every year to compensate for the cards you can no longer use (there's a rotation; next one is HP-On), but that's not really a risk.

4) Yes. All of them.

5) None of them.

Hey does anyone know about my question?? The Fossil cards that were being sold right at the beginning of Pokemon that were fake. Does anyone know what happened?

Here's the story again:

A looong time ago, when the Pokemon Fossil set came out, all the cards (probably except for the holos) were laminated. They were really shiny. The backs of the cards were off colour -the blue was closer to purple on some- and the sizses were slightly smaller than other cards. These were sold just like the other decks; Base, Jungle, any others, and sold along-side them. (And I'm not talking about those shoddy stores selling random stuff. I mean supermarkets where everything is organised on shelves etc.) Unlike "normal" fake cards, the backs of these had 'tm' clearly printed at the end of "Pokemon", just like normal real cards.
My friends said somehting like "they're fakes; the only way to get real Fossil cards is to buy them from the US...etc..." but I didn't really understand what they meant. Why was it the Fossil cards that were impossible to get as real, normal cards? Why weren't they being sold here in Australia? Why would they sell and advertise a deck of fake cards, and in such official packaging?

There were a few real Fossil cards around that kids had here and there. "Real" packs were probably sold later on. But what I don't understand is; What happened back then? These cards were being sold with the Jungle cards and Base Set cards on the same shelves, but these just were different. They weren't real, but then they were real, being sold as the real, official thing. You guys are probably thinking "yeah, it's normal, finding places selling fake cards...etc" But the thing is, at that time, no real Fossil cards could be found in shops.

Does anyone have an explanation of what happened?

Cipher 2008

No need to post the story twice...

No such thing as fake Fossil cards ever existed in mass. The real Fossil cards were sold all over the world, including Australia. No fake cards were sold in supermarkets, etc - not in such mass as what you've said.

Whatever anyone tells you about all the Fossil cards being fake is bull. Even if they say the majority, whatever, it's not true.

BlackViper

Im interested in getting back into the TCG because I kind of miss it. I have 2 questions

1.) Im 15 years old. Will i look like a complete nerd or will there be people my age there?

2.) What should I buy to get back into the legue? I basically completely forgot all the rules but I still have all my old cards.