• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon TCG Questions Thread [general questions]

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
Actually that last part is not true. Sneaky placement is known as the effect of an attack, so if the effect of you're attack can be blocked that's how. Sorry it's as the person above me stated its 20 (even though current errata counts anything with direct attack as x2 weakness, everything else is effect dmg only).

Asrialys

Actually that last part is not true. Sneaky placement is known as the effect of an attack, so if the effect of you're attack can be blocked that's how.
Well, yes. But I was specifically referring to instances where the Bench is being protected from damage from attacks, not effects of attacks.

J20Hawkz

Cool thank you so much for the fast replies. I have another question.

Ho-Oh ex attack Rainbow Burn reads

"Does 10 damage plus 20 more damage for each type of basic Energy card attached to Ho-Oh ex"

The cost is 3 colourless energy. So if I have 3 fire energy attached to Ho-Oh ex, does that mean it is now doing 70 damage? If I add another energy so 4 fires does that mean it is now at 90 damage?

Thanks again.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
sneaky placement does not deal direct dmg (as it does not say 20 or 30 just dmg counters) and deals dmg based on the use of an effect.

Rainbow burn actually reads as " 20+ each different type of basic energy attached to ho-oh", so 3 fire energy is only 30 dmg, where as for instance fire, fighting, electric deals 70. (I recommend using shaymin ul, ultra balls and 4/4 super scoop up and junk arm if you plan on making the deck)

Last edited:

J20Hawkz

Nope my one reads exactly how I wrote it. I have Ho-Oh ex POP Series 3 17 card. The one you are talking about I do not have.

Could you explain my version to me please. I have a misconception that the three energy are used to only pay the cost of the attack then any further energy added will add to it. But then 10 damage is way to low for a 3 energy cost. So it must be 70 base damage if you attach 3 energy to it. So if I added 2 more energy the total would be 110 damage.

Here is the link. My one is shiny holo with a stary foily shiny silver edge.

Edit: it won't allow me to post links.

Last edited:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ

J20Hawkz

It's cool. I appreciate the help either way. I did try to post a link to the exact one but for some reason I can't. I think you know what card I mean though.

So I can keep adding energy to it and keep beefing the attack?

Btw how are you able to post links. I keep getting an error message.

Last edited:

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
It's cool. I appreciate the help either way. I did try to post a link to the exact one but for some reason I can't. I think you know what card I mean though.

So I can keep adding energy to it and keep beefing the attack?

Btw how are you able to post links. I keep getting an error message.

This Ho-oh ex, right? As long as they're different types of Basic Energy cards then that'll work. Here are some examples.

Ho-oh ex has 1 Fire, 1 Water and 1 Grass energy attached to it: 70 damage
Ho-oh ex has 3 Fire energy attached to it: 30 damage
Ho-oh ex has 1 Fire, 1 Water, 1 Grass, 1 Lightning, 1 Psychic, 1 Fighting, 1 Metal and 1 Dark attached to it: 170 damage

As for your question about posting links. You can find the answer to that here.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?609107-Some-Changes-to-Posting&p=16041841#post16041841

J20Hawkz

Thanks a lot for all the responses. I'm currently working on making a deck. I tried it so far and have a record of 8-2. I'll post it in the rate my deck section and you guys can see how bad it is if you want :)

JYoung

Hi there,

I used to collect and play Pokemon cards ALL THE TIME, just like many of you here. But for one reason or another I fell out of the loop and now I want to get back in the game! I just have a couple of questions.

Are all the cards compatible with one another? Since I stopped playing there have been so many new versions come out I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I don't want to compete in tournaments or anything just yet, but if I were to build a deck to play with friends, would I be able to use ANY cards with one another?

Also, is there a checklist/database where all of the cards are written down? So I can track how my collection is shaping up?

That's all for now. Thanks.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
We have a cardex on serebii, bulpedia, and pokebeach have cardexs. As far as I know you can use any card in any set in a deck you want when playing at a league however for tournament play you must use cards from next destinies, dark explorers, dragon vault, dragons exalted, boundaries crossed, plasma storm, plasma freeze, plasma blast, and legendary treasures.

If you have trainer and pokemon cards from older generations that have been re-printed with-in those newer sets, yes you can use it(s), but they have to work based off of the current rules.

leafgreen5050

grass type Prince
Can you use cards from other expansions when building a deck (or modding a theme deck)? Such as putting cards from gym challenge into a deck with gym Heros? (I know I'm old school XD) thnx in advance!

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
It depends on what the format is (the formats of those times where base set to gym challeneges, team rocket to neo, as far as I can recall),

this is the current format, you can use any card from these sets to make a deck.
Next destinies
Dark explorers
Dragon's exalted
Dragon vault
Boundaries crossed
Plasma storm
Plasma freeze
Plasma blast
legendary treasures

For older formats, you could use cards from other gens for unlimited decks meaning you can use any card from any set. If you use cards in this current format which have been re-printed from older gens with the same name text and use such as switch, energy switch, etc (minus ace specs) you can still use them as is.

Last edited:

leafgreen5050

grass type Prince
Thanks, but do me and my opponent have to use the same format? (By the way I'm talking about casual battles , but with official rules of course ) also Im playing with the hard copy cards not online just so you know. ^_^

Last edited:

leafgreen5050

grass type Prince
Sorry for asking so many questions!(^_^;) Im new to the TCG . My question is, when building a deck , you can only have 4 copies of each card, but does the same card from a different expansion count as one of the four cards ? could I have 4 jungle switch cards and 4 arceus switch cards in my deck ? Thnx in advance

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Sorry for asking so many questions!(^_^;) Im new to the TCG . My question is, when building a deck , you can only have 4 copies of each card, but does the same card from a different expansion count as one of the four cards ? could I have 4 jungle switch cards and 4 arceus switch cards in my deck ? Thnx in advance

You can use a maximum of 4 cards with the same name (no matter what set they're from). You can always use as many basic energy cards as you want though. So here are some examples.

- You can only use 4 cards named Switch total. Whether they're from different sets or not.
- You can use 2 Pikachu from Next Destinies and 2 Pikachu from Boundaries Crossed. But you can't use 4 Pikachu from Next Destinies and 4 Pikachu from Boundaries Crossed.
- You can use 4 Pikachu and 4 Surfing Pikachu because they have different names.

Last edited:

Shiny T

For those of you who have bought all the theme decks over the years; When it comes to energy cards, they come as standalones, not being from any set, only differnece being the year-stamp.

Which different years have the energy card came out? Like all the different energies have the 2009-stamp, 2011-stamp and 2013-stamp (At least those who came in the Kalos Starter Decks), which other years can i get the energies in? A list of all the years taht i can get on the cards (And also, which year the darkness and metal cards became basic's), would be great if someone took theire time :D

Last edited:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
energy cards are usually in the base set of every series of booster packs has basic energy, base set, genesis, hoenn, DP, hgss, B&W, ruby and sapphire, etc

both special darkness and steel came out with genesis, however basic energy of both didn't come out until DP.

There is an energy printed for every year, all you have to do is look for them.

Shiny T

energy cards are usually in the base set of every series of booster packs has basic energy, base set, genesis, hoenn, DP, hgss, B&W, ruby and sapphire, etc

both special darkness and steel came out with genesis, however basic energy of both didn't come out until DP.

There is an energy printed for every year, all you have to do is look for them.

What i meant, was the ones who doesn not belong in any set.

But if they are printed for each year, why does the decks from 2013 (Before Kalos-decks) have energy cards from 2011?