• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon TCG Questions Thread [general questions]

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
^ I wouldn't consider rotation hype as an actual question but sure.

Bigger then computer search is the loss of N, computer search isn't that much of a staple as opposed to the loss of N probably darkrai (sableye and dark patch).

However there will be a new format starting up in September after rotation known as extended it will feature sets from black and white to current, so if you would like to still keep on playing in a format that has the option of having cards like N, skyla, computer search, dark patch, sableye, dynamotor, etc.

I strongly doubt N will rotate out since it's black star promo BW100. That would be a pretty big hit on the promo cards if it did.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
They allow league promos to keep cards in rotation? (I don't recall them doing this in the past).

The league N is different. It's the only one that's actually a black star promo and not just a different foil version of a card from a normal set.

labarith

Question: Do the 2014/current McDonalds Pokemon Promotion "toys" come with CCG Online codes like previous toys did?

If so, I might have to go to McDonalds. If not, not.

Thanks!

labarith

I got one, there's no code, just a foil card and a terrible "toy"... :/

Does anyone know when the Kalos Power Tins are going to be released? I mean, according to some sites it's in June, but if anyone here knows a more precise date, I'd like to know it.

Meowtastic

I have a lopunny card with the ability Big Jump. It says once during my turn, I can put lopunny and all cards attached to it in my hand. If I did that, would all damage from him be removed?

FinchReese

Hi

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this but thought I would put it here.

I am wanting to start collecting the cards, not battle. However I am wondering what the point in a booster box is if you can buy complete sets for cheaper? You can buy a booster box and still not have all the cards from the set. If you need certain cards for battling why not just buy them individually?

I want to buy a booster box, but don't see the point because complete sets are being sold for cheaper.

By sets I am talking about Flashfire, Fossil, Jungle etc.

Please explain and thank you in advance.

Edit: Prime example is this listing on Ebay..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Ful...668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c85fb670c

Base Set, Jungle, Fossil + Rocket. Also 1st edition. You would pay more for the boxes than you would for the set there.

I don't understand why you would want to buy a booster box unless you got it very very cheap?

Last edited:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
I play competitively, I booster boxes for 1 of many reasons, first you don't know when a new deck that someone makes or you would like to try arises, buying 2-3 boxes gives you that choice, after that you will have to buy mainly and only EX's and uber rares other then that after 2 boxes you get a full set, by 3 you get multiples of everything. If sets like furious fist, which has a 1-20 card format factor of cards being made into any kind of playable deck, or has a low count on pokemon cards being good it is not worth it.

Are booster boxes worth it, considering that in a booster box most usually you are guaranteed at least 3 EX's and 1 ultra rare plus all of the decent pokemon cards up the value and you end up making more then you would end up spending more if you bought the same amount in pokemon singles, however trainers are a lot cheaper in relativity to the fact and again a set like furious fist, where the trainer cards will be the most valuable cards from the set save 2 EX's doesn't make it that worth while to buy a box.

So to recap, buying 2 boxes generally buys you a play set, but it is not 100%, buying a set of singles for a set could amount to a box, where as jungle, base set and fossil are concerned yes they are, but those booster boxes are hard to re-print and that is why they are worth so much.

shadowF

where can you get a mega charizard x card? like is there a booster box or tin that automatically contains mega charizard x?

the ash man83

Avid TCG Fan
A thing that's been bugging me for a while: in the tv adverts, they always end it saying something like "Cards vary by packing." My question is, is this true? I've always thought you could get any card in any of the four packaging designs per set. I'm hoping someone can put my mind to rest.

Unless you have seen different versions of the commercials than I have (which is possible; I know they're different in Japan), then the phrase is actually "Cards vary by pack." This is simply a reference to the randomness of packs, perhaps added for legal reasons. I think they want it to be clear even to small children that just because you happen to have gotten a Charizard, or four really useful Trainer Cards, or a Pokémon EX, in that type of booster before, that is no guarantee that it will happen again. Cards aren't sorted by booster art so far as I am aware.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
The ash man83@ Pulling packs is pure luck, and this is why I pull from booster boxes, you are generally aloted a specific number of trainers from box to box, 1-4 of a kind per box, holos 0-3 (depending on how common it is, every holo is more common in some boxes then others) ultra rares, which has been a thing I've been noticing for X/Y 3 EX's 1 uber rare(however some boxes are mixed up in the process and tend to have either more or less EX's and ubers in general). So in closing boxes do give you a greater play set in theory by reducing the luck factor a little bit, but pulling packs is pure luck, so GL peoples.

TimerRabbit

Espurr Trainer!
I started coming back to the TCG craze (the last time I played is when I am still at Elementary to Middle School) after I herd about the Flashfire theme decks (and Espurr+Meowstic is my favorite Pokemon) I had to get it. Though since I want to upgrade these decks, I notice that the cards my brother collected (and even gave me some cards) were dated back in the Diamond/Pearl days.. Yet I have the urge to swap a Sentrect for a older yet more 'useful' moves from the old Team Rocket Returns expansion... The rules on weaknesses and resistance changes changes by each 'era' change... So... Does this break my deck if I try to include older cards into my updated Mystic Typhoon (Meowstic themed) deck?

I'm here for the fun of TCO (like the old days) and not very competitive since I do not want to gamble so much money on booster boxes in hopes for a EX card or other useful cards. ^^;

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
I started coming back to the TCG craze (the last time I played is when I am still at Elementary to Middle School) after I herd about the Flashfire theme decks (and Espurr+Meowstic is my favorite Pokemon) I had to get it. Though since I want to upgrade these decks, I notice that the cards my brother collected (and even gave me some cards) were dated back in the Diamond/Pearl days.. Yet I have the urge to swap a Sentrect for a older yet more 'useful' moves from the old Team Rocket Returns expansion... The rules on weaknesses and resistance changes changes by each 'era' change... So... Does this break my deck if I try to include older cards into my updated Mystic Typhoon (Meowstic themed) deck?

I'm here for the fun of TCO (like the old days) and not very competitive since I do not want to gamble so much money on booster boxes in hopes for a EX card or other useful cards. ^^;

Unfortunately if you're playing standard format than only cards from Next Density and upwards are playable (You can find a list here). Certain cards like energies, and trainer cards are still playable (with trainer cards they have to be found in the newer sets) If you play unlimited format than you could could play whatever cards as long as they're tournament legal. It could be worth buying cards separately for your deck as then you can build it up with the cards you'd want.

My question is I' constructing a deck at the moment using fairy cards and have a Sylveon promo (out of the eevee card promoset) I'd like to use-is it limited tournament legal?

Ms. Togekiss

Now 70% more enigma!
^ To add on to what ven said, they are also introducing an Expanded Format, which cards from Black and White and later are allowed in. Only certain tournaments will allow the Expanded Format, and you will have to check with your local league what those tournaments are.
For my area (this might also apply to others) Expanded is allowed on day 2 of the State tournament, and you may switch decks on this day to one not in the Modified format (you will have to fill out another sheet for this deck, however).