• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon TCG Questions Thread [general questions]

ShadowsEd9e

Hello, I think this is the correct forum, but I have recently gotten back into collecting and battling, and have been out of the game since early 2001, and so I am just curious as I have gotten some of the Furious Fists boosters and some themed decks and are wondering how do you know what is and is not legal in tournaments since my BF and I have wanted to join in some. We recently got the Destruction Rush (for me) and Mystical Typhoon (for him) and were wondering if those were legal or is it specific cards that are or are not. Thank you and sorry for the long message, I just want to get back into this properly. Have a good day.
~ShadowsEd9e~

Well, since those Theme Decks are only from a very few sets ago, they are definitely legal in tournaments (which is called "Standard"). It's worth noting that some old sets got rotated out just a few days ago. Anyway, here's the basic list of which sets are included in Standard, from oldest to newest sets:

Boundaries Crossed
Plasma Storm
Plasma Freeze
Plasma Blast
Legendary Treasures
Kalos Starter Set (it's not exactly the same, since it is just several Theme Decks IIRC, but it has its own set marker, so I include it)
XY
XY: FlashFire
XY: Furious Fists

Also, if a card from an earlier set has been reprinted in one of those later sets, the older version is allowed as well as the new one. (If there are any changes on the wording, though, it must be played as though it were the newer version.) As an example, this Mew EX is from Dragons Exalted, the set right before Boundaries Crossed. Ordinarily this would mean it is not allowed in Standard play, but it was reprinted in Legendary Treasures, so you can use either print of this card. An example of a card that was reprinted with different wording is Super Potion, originally from the very first set.

Hope this was helpful!

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
We also play in an extended format which includes sets from black and white base set on (talk to a tournament organizer at your local league or online through the pokemon event locator).

Destruction rush is x and Y and mystic tyhoon is flashfire so both are fine. here, bulbapedia is a list of theme decks, serebii also offers a cardex, though I find that this one, pokebeach link is much easier to look at (check the sidebar for blocks and sets). Welcome and good luck in the future.

shadowF

this might be a stupid question but what is the probability of me getting a mega charizard x card in a flashfire pack? I really want to get one but it costs 40 to 70 dollars just for the card!

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
ShadowF@ http://www.trollandtoad.com/product...y=&search_words=charizard+EX&searchmode=basic buy the single, don't buy packs, its fairly common 1 in 60 packs (which is worth the card 3 times over in toad n troll).

Tepif 2000@ I know that there is an Ipad app, as far as I can tell the file for the program runs on a .exe extension which means you need an operating system to access the files, there will probably news for it in the future.

ArchangelUnmei

Shiny Cottonball!
Why do cards sometimes have the name of the expansion printed in the corner of the art? I've mostly seen it with EX-series cards, and other than the name there isn't any other difference between the cards. Was it like a prerelease thing? Here's an example.
dratiniandlarvitar.jpg
Related to that, does having a version with that mark make it more valuable? Troll and Toad only lists the normal versions of cards, I'm having a lot of trouble finding information on these variants. Even Bulbapedia doesn't seem to have anything on them. =/

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Why do cards sometimes have the name of the expansion printed in the corner of the art? I've mostly seen it with EX-series cards, and other than the name there isn't any other difference between the cards. Was it like a prerelease thing? Here's an example.
View attachment 13637
Related to that, does having a version with that mark make it more valuable? Troll and Toad only lists the normal versions of cards, I'm having a lot of trouble finding information on these variants. Even Bulbapedia doesn't seem to have anything on them. =/

That's what reverse foil cards looked like back then. The only exception are two UK promos that were non-foil but still had that stamp.

ArchangelUnmei

Shiny Cottonball!
That's what reverse foil cards looked like back then. The only exception are two UK promos that were non-foil but still had that stamp.

Huh, strange! But the card itself isn't foil the way we'd think of it now, though the background of the card art is this weird prismatic holofoil. Thanks for the info!

FinchReese

Hey guys.

I posted some similar questions what would seem like 5-6 months ago. However I am back on the scene so could do with a refresh. These questions are posted from the view of somebody who would like to collect some of the cards, has no interest in battling.

1: Why do people buy booster boxes when a complete set is cheaper? I just don't understand this one single bit. You can buy a complete set for cheaper than the price of a booster box (Especially the older sets). I guess it is fun opening up packs, but once the initial hype dies down you could have spent hundreds more on a box and only have half the set. Can somebody please explain this to me?

This really is putting me off from buying some booster packs/box. I would like to buy some of the older booster boxes/packs. I am thinking Base set/Base set 2, Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket. However my thinking is what is the point in spending hundreds on one of these boxes when I can buy a set for cheaper. Just doesn't make sense to me why people would buy the boxes to open.

2: Out of the Base Set 2, Fossil, Jungle and Team Rocket, which set is rarer/worth more? Ideally I would like to buy some Base set packs, but they are 2-3x more expensive than the others. I quite like the Team Rocket artwork, but heading towards either base set2 or Jungle. However again, this goes back to my first question of what is the point in buying boxes when I could buy a set for cheaper.

I will probably have more questions later, but this will do for now.

Thank you!!!

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
1 and 2: Box pulls are done more for the player base, some sets have decent pull rates making sure that you get multiple doubles of cards you need for a deck you also get a good pull rate for trainers or T/S/S (which you get 4-2 of each per box, which the consistency for these cards garnishes a 1-4 slot in there deck), so basically you get a good play set of the sets list (mind you the larger the set the more boxes you have to pull from). But if I had to be realistic about set collecting for only current sets, buying booster boxes for black and white and flashfire and then buying 1-2 EX's is about the same as buying the whole set online. Older sets even worse, I would rather buy 3 boxes of CG (for about 250$) and try to pull star cards then spend 400+$ on the set out of my pocket. Though some sets are taboo and cost ridiculous amounts but some of the singles from those sets are so hard to buy online trading in a league consistently week after week could help you slowly get those cards (I actually stand by that, trading is probably one of the best ways to finish collections, people pull some odd stuff you find you really need that online stores will only ever get once in the time they have been online because they spend more time with format players because it's better money). Trading and buying are the best ways to go about it.

(then again I haven't heard you post booster box prices you get them for when I usually get mine for anywhere from 110 to 80$ or less depending on the deals per set, it's good to play the game even if its just to have fun with the game and not try to win you can make friends with online stores and get amazing deals you couldn't get if you were a collector, which no offense to you in particular but a lot of online stores find that they don't like just collectors because the business isn't reoccurring enough to make a living and it always tends to be there beef, problem whatever, so they give the player base deals so we can always get what we need, mind you my store/league, one of many, gives me amazing deals even on older cards), you could lie about being a player, but collecting cards takes time I find for pokemon.

Last edited:

FinchReese

1 and 2: Box pulls are done more for the player base, some sets have decent pull rates making sure that you get multiple doubles of cards you need for a deck you also get a good pull rate for trainers or T/S/S (which you get 4-2 of each per box, which the consistency for these cards garnishes a 1-4 slot in there deck), so basically you get a good play set of the sets list (mind you the larger the set the more boxes you have to pull from). But if I had to be realistic about set collecting for only current sets, buying booster boxes for black and white and flashfire and then buying 1-2 EX's is about the same as buying the whole set online. Older sets even worse, I would rather buy 3 boxes of CG (for about 250$) and try to pull star cards then spend 400+$ on the set out of my pocket. Though some sets are taboo and cost ridiculous amounts but some of the singles from those sets are so hard to buy online trading in a league consistently week after week could help you slowly get those cards (I actually stand by that, trading is probably one of the best ways to finish collections, people pull some odd stuff you find you really need that online stores will only ever get once in the time they have been online because they spend more time with format players because it's better money). Trading and buying are the best ways to go about it.

(then again I haven't heard you post booster box prices you get them for when I usually get mine for anywhere from 110 to 80$ or less depending on the deals per set, it's good to play the game even if its just to have fun with the game and not try to win you can make friends with online stores and get amazing deals you couldn't get if you were a collector, which no offense to you in particular but a lot of online stores find that they don't like just collectors because the business isn't reoccurring enough to make a living and it always tends to be there beef, problem whatever, so they give the player base deals so we can always get what we need, mind you my store/league, one of many, gives me amazing deals even on older cards), you could lie about being a player, but collecting cards takes time I find for pokemon.

Hey mate thanks for the reply. Sounds like you know your stuff. I have a few questions/comments regarding the above.

1: What are "T/S/S" cards? You mentioned it on your first sentence.
2: What is "CG"?
3: What are "Star Cards" I am guessing Rares?

Lets take the Jungle set for example. I just had a look on ebay and somebody is selling the complete 1st edition set (in near mint condition) for $150US. Now the 1st edition boxes go for $500-$600 (Just a general price range I saw in my 2 minutes of research). Why on earth would somebody buy one of these boxes (Unless they were keeping sealed + locked away) when they could buy 3-4 COMPLETE sets. It doesn't make sense to me one single bit.

Please explain to me why somebody would buy one of these boxes to open. Im not trolling, I simply just don't get it.

Where I live I don't think (I haven't looked into this too much yet) there are any local competitions/meet ups etc sadly so I can really only buy/sell online.

Thanks for the info!!

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
T/S/S old term of trainer, supporter, stadium, CG is the set acronym for crystal guardian's, and star cards were in incredibily rare pull rate cards where you probably got 1 in 4-5 boxes that go for 50$+ ish.

Yes you could spend 150 on jungle and get the set, but there is already issues going into it, first is the set shadowless, second does it come with with holos, non holos and trainers (funny I should ask because I've seen tons of these "full set" base set, second, legendary, jungle, fossil, rocket, GH, GC, etc sets that only offer non-holo editions or offer just the pokemon without the T/S/S cards, and the ones that offer the full collection go for about 200-300$ and come with at least 1 PSA graded card to ensure that you get a decent collection) though sadly enough your base set and jungle collection have no worth atm because there's a million of em out there making the rarity of the set null and void, due to the fact that the set had been printed for 6 years and has been reprinted for the past 5+ years (since pokemons rise to power). Though yes those sets are cheaper, buying hoenn series to current sets online the box is cheaper, though buying a full set of any neo set online is going to be hard w/o buying the boxes (or they can be fairly cheap but come once in a blue moon). Which cost a miniature fortune apparently, these sets went out of print at such an odd time and they don't try to reprint the sets as much anymore if not haven't as boxes alone cost 1000$+ this being said there is other sets in hoenn and DP that haven't been re-printed making so that those sets intentionally cost a small fortune to buy outright. But for current sets the buyers market makes it so that getting EX's (10-50$) and useful T/S/S cards like virbank, max potion and the like cost anywhere from 6-12$ per card more deck orientated and less collector orientated.

due to rarity of set = cost of singles, Condition of cards = lowered price, and format based cards which makes cards more popular per set = increased intrest in raising the cards value (and it's always usually more then 1 card). And in general, if a box seems cheaper to pull from then buying the singles outright because the full collection would cost 400$. Which I checked CG, 500$ for meh condition 600$ in mint no psa grade, I hit well over 1000 with psa graded cards, ridiculous star cards and ex's, though I bet I could just spend 300 on 4 boxes pull everything I need and spend 100 dollars on star cards and the remaining ex's not including me selling the doubles and double ex's which would let me make some kind of money back (one of the reasons I buy boxes at least I make money back on deck building a collection costs for something that is cheaper then me buying the set outright), DS (delta species made me laugh hard it has 1 more star card but minus 7 exs that CG doesn't have but costs 50$ less on singles due to the ridiculous priced T/S/S cards, transceiver is a minimum of 8-9$, not including the other supporters costing anywhere from 3-6 or 7 dollars a piece.

FinchReese

@Ven

Once again thanks for the information. I don't understand some of it but that's probably because I haven't done any research.

So what set (I will buy a booster box or two) would you recommend collecting now? I guess from my point of view I am thinking something that will hold its value plus a set that has most of the older Pokémon would be great. Some of the older or newer ones? I did buy a booster box of Flashfire about 4 months ago to relive some nostalgia, it was fun and all but the pulls weren't the greatest (I ended up selling the cards).

Thanks for the tips. How long have you been in the game?

FinchReese

Sets to collect imo are Vs, southern islands and ex series cards, expensive, very expensive but worth it (original shinny pokemon, original ex's, star pokemon, etc).

I've been playing the game for years since base set.

Hello, sorry I have been off the forums.

I will probably buy one of the newer boxes. I am heading towards Phantom Forces, however I think Flashfire will hold its value because the set contains Charizard which is quite a popular Pokémon and Charizard cards seem to be worth more on average.

Then again I quite like the Fighting type so Furious Fists is appealing also. Wish there was a full art Machamp/Hitmonchan!!

Would you suggest focusing on one set or buying a booster box for each set?

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
Buying the set is decent for furious fist, just looking over the cards as I pulled half the ubers from 27 packs, buying the set right now is cheaper before the tournament structure changes with cities and regionals starting in the next month. I personally do not think furious fist, flashfire and phantom forces will have alot of long lasting collecting value as so many people are buying into the sets that a majority of the EX's are losing value and in the future will continue to lose value, also imo if you think charizards are worth the value PSA grade it because it will be worth more in the future, yes they are 30-50$ cards which could lose massive value over the next few years due to the over popularity of EX's, PSA grading guarantees actual value.

jonwins

For the XY expansion's Yveltal EX, his Y Cyclone attack requires you to move an Energy to a benched Pokémon. What happens if there are no Pokémon on your bench?

No Energy gets moved.

Technically, that is because the attack does not "require" moving Energy. That is considered an effect of that attack. Not being able to carry out an effect of an attack is okay, but if it were stated as a requirement (like "if you can't move an Energy, you can't use this attack), then it would not work without benched Pokémon.

jonwins

Alright, that's what I thought. Thank you so much!
EDIT: Also, for attacks like Tornadus's Push Down, who picks what Pokémon is switched in?

Last edited: