• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon TCG Questions Thread [general questions]

Wrave

I am wanting to get into the TCG but have no clue where to start. Unlike a lot of TCG's, this is one I have no knowledge of outside of the old gameboy color game.

Dragga

Questing Beast
I am wanting to get into the TCG but have no clue where to start. Unlike a lot of TCG's, this is one I have no knowledge of outside of the old gameboy color game.

Honestly, a good place to start is to just flat out buy one of the theme decks. It helps a lot in giving you a solid idea of how to play and the very basics of deck building, and you can expand from there. For a more complete deck experience, buy one of the World Championship Decks to get a feel for how a competitive deck is built and plays, and find your balance. I'm personally more for the fun side of things, so I haven't been trying to build something to win tournaments, just to play with a friend.

Hello everyone, i just recently got into the Pokemon tcg, and apparently my deck was not legal for the hometown duel shop tourney, and they should me way, but my question is, is there a list of what cards are standard? and which cards are expanded? its hard to find an exact list and i have looked. thank you in advance

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Hello everyone, i just recently got into the Pokemon tcg, and apparently my deck was not legal for the hometown duel shop tourney, and they should me way, but my question is, is there a list of what cards are standard? and which cards are expanded? its hard to find an exact list and i have looked. thank you in advance

There's a list of what sets are legal here.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?84926-***Read-this***-Before-replying-to-or-posting-a-deck

Also note that any set or promos become legal 3 weeks after they're released.

LunarDD

Hey guys. I went to a store here in Portugal and a booster with 5 cards costs 4€. I was in shock because I saw people opening boosters on Youtube and they usualy open 7+ cards for 3 dollars, wth? How can I possible make a collection here in Portugal where the minimum wage is 500€ and 5 cards cost 4€, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me where can I find a good site to buy boosters and cards, I rather buy boosters so I can open it(thats the fun part right?) than buying single cards.

the ash man83

Avid TCG Fan
What do the hearts and flowers on the left side of some cards mean?

thanks

I believe these are only found in the new Generations set (the set whose packs come in the Monthly Mythicals collection boxes).

I think it signifies that the cards are part of the Generations' Radiant Collection set.

Link1482

I have some extra codes for themed decks on Pokemon TCG Online if anyone wants them let me know I'll send them to you

Burning Winds
Bolt Twister
Resilient Life
Destruction Rush
Enchanted Echo
Ocean's Core

And I'll have more at some point

Last edited:

buddyraccoon

Hello All,

I'm new to the site and I couldn't find a location for TCG online game posting. I was opening some packs for fun from codes that I had and I received a "ultra rare card". I can't seem to find the price of this card and when I put it up for trade I immediately got spammed with trade request regarding the card.

The card is a "Latios-EX 113/116 from Plasma Freeze)" this set was discontinued in 2013.

Please help as I am unable to determine the right price for this card and it's usefulness.

Thank you,

Ronny

Nockturne

Does anyone know of anywhere that you can find TCG art, but in a higher resolution so you can use it as a desktop background without it being distorted too much?

I did a bit of googling and did come across a Tumblr with quite a few, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere else that might have some?

I know this isn't technically about the TCG so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I couldn't think where else to post.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
So if I wanted to get back into the Pokemon TCG (after ~20 years of not playing it) where is a good place to learn how things work?

So far I have watched J-Witz's videos on the basics of the game that are on Youtube but I have no idea what cards are 'good'. Is there a site that has cards listed like Gatherer has for Magic the Gathering, a massive index of every card ever produced that can be sorted by multiple criteria?

I have 2 charizard generations cards. The one with the adult trainer aside charizrd while in a blizzard. One card has thicker text on the Height and weight section, and the colors between the two are slightly off. One charizard is a little lighter than the other. Also, one of the trainer's coats seems to be a darker shade. Maybe it my eyes playing tricks on me? But I'm almost positive I got sold a fake. I actually got the card in the mail on the same day I pulled the "real" card from a pack. So, I guess my question is, do cards have inconsistencies like this? Or did I get a fake from the seller...

Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm new to the site and I couldn't find a location for TCG online game posting. I was opening some packs for fun from codes that I had and I received a "ultra rare card". I can't seem to find the price of this card and when I put it up for trade I immediately got spammed with trade request regarding the card.

The card is a "Latios-EX 113/116 from Plasma Freeze)" this set was discontinued in 2013.

Please help as I am unable to determine the right price for this card and it's usefulness.

Thank you,

Ronny
Around $8-$10

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Hi everyone. I have some old pokemon cards I found, mostly mint condition, in my basement. They are really old, like between 1999-2001. I have easily over 200 cards, but maybe 15 of them are the rare holographic. I was wondering, do you guys recommend I sell the cards on ebay? Or should I look for a card collector in my local area? I'm not sure which is the best option. I'm hoping someone can tell me which one is the better option. Thanks in advance for the help.

donavannj

Hi everyone. I have some old pokemon cards I found, mostly mint condition, in my basement. They are really old, like between 1999-2001. I have easily over 200 cards, but maybe 15 of them are the rare holographic. I was wondering, do you guys recommend I sell the cards on ebay? Or should I look for a card collector in my local area? I'm not sure which is the best option. I'm hoping someone can tell me which one is the better option. Thanks in advance for the help.

That's completely dependent on how much effort you want to put into selling them, really.

anjuju

Lover, not a Fighter
Hihi, Long time since I actually posted anything again, but. . .

Got called out of bed today by a few friends,
according to them "Trainer Bill" Base/2nd were selling for 300$$(Ebay),
They themselves don't actually do anything in Pokémon nor the TCG.

So I did some browsing and can't really find a reason for the ridiculous price,
*Regular Card Shops are still selling at price ranges of somewhere under a Buck.
*Value doesn't really seem to be Directly related to the Condition
*No real Description of supposed rarity stated anywhere besides "rare hard to come by/ out of print"
*Most if not all Bill posts are fairly recent.
*Even "Marktplaats" (Dutch Used Resale Online) is showing some signs of the supposed ?value rise?
People Selling Stacks of Old cards, but singling out the Bill Card.

Is this some new trend/after effect of the Pokémon GO craze?
Or some Black Market Scam/Cover Up?

I know I may be going a bit overboard about this,
but I just want to be able to lay this to rest

Last edited:

donavannj

Hihi, Long time since I actually posted anything again, but. . .

Got called out of bed today by a few friends,
according to them "Trainer Bill" Base/2nd were selling for 300$$(Ebay),
They themselves don't actually do anything in Pokémon nor the TCG.

So I did some browsing and can't really find a reason for the ridiculous price,
*Regular Card Shops are still selling at price ranges of somewhere under a Buck.
*Value doesn't really seem to be Directly related to the Condition
*No real Description of supposed rarity stated anywhere besides "rare hard to come by/ out of print"
*Most if not all Bill posts are fairly recent.
*Even "Marktplaats" (Dutch Used Resale Online) is showing some signs of the supposed ?value rise?
People Selling Stacks of Old cards, but singling out the Bill Card.

Is this some new trend/after effect of the Pokémon GO craze?
Or some Black Market Scam/Cover Up?

I know I may be going a bit overboard about this,
but I just want to be able to lay this to rest

So, basically, someone (or several someones, not sure where the vids came from) thought it'd be funny and posted some troll videos on social media stating the values of several cards to be way higher than they actually are, and the listing prices on eBay are still absurdly high because at least one of those videos claimed the Bill card was over $3000, which, despite being an obvious troll to those in the know, still roped in a lot of naive people, and those listing prices are the aftershocks of all those people who brought that troll's bait.

It's quite frankly annoying as a long-time collector that all of these new collectors got taken for a ride by a couple troll videos. The only card that I've seen in said videos that was actually worth anywhere near what the videos claimed is the Pikachu Illustrator card.

shadowF

So when will North America get the new starter boxes for Pokemon Sun and Moon? Also does this mean I automatically get a GX Inceneroar card if I purchase the fire box for pokemon sun and moon?