• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon that are not from the Regions that they were Introduced in.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Skorupi and Drapion are originally not from Sinnoh.

Where r they from?

Given that scorpions are usually found in the desert, I’d probably say they’re originally from a region that is mostly desert, like a region inspired by the Sahara. Same with Gible. Sinnoh seems a bit too cold for scorpions and land sharks (whatever the Gible family is supposed to be), and as I said before, Gible’s Dex entry in UM says its original home is a lot hotter than Alola.

Well, there's Lush Jungle in Alola and Castelia Sewers in Unova.

Does that one route in Hoenn with the really tall grass count as a jungle? I think the Lush Jungle would be more like a rainforest than an actual jungle, since the map description says it often rains there. I tend to think of jungles being drier than rainforests.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Does that one route in Hoenn with the really tall grass count as a jungle? I think the Lush Jungle would be more like a rainforest than an actual jungle, since the map description says it often rains there. I tend to think of jungles being drier than rainforests.

The terms "rainforest" and "jungle" were used interchangeably until the 1970s, but there is a growing movement among the scientific communities to have a more formal definition for the latter. Though there's no consensus on the differences, from what I read, both rainforests and jungles are tropical areas with thick, lush vegetation and varied animal life that get a lot of rainfall. The main difference is that a rainforest is characterized by a thick canopy of trees, branches, and leaves that block much of the sunlight from reaching the floor; but a jungle is characterized by large amounts of small plants and underbrush on the floor. Note that they're not mutually exclusive--an area can have both a dense canopy and dense low vegetation, though it's rare because the sunlight has to be just right.

Bear in mind there's no agreement between ecologists, biologists, geographers, climatologists, travelers, and other associated scholars on these differences. Though the above-mentioned one is the most common one I found, I saw opinions ranging from them being exactly the same and being used interchangeably to which supercontinent they're one (rainforests for America, jungles for Eurasia-Africa and Oceania) to the predators found in the biomes.

If we use the presence or absence of canopies and low-lying vegetation as the main difference, then Lush Jungle would actually be a rainforest due to there being little sunlight making it down to the ground there. Hoenn Route 119 doesn't appear to be either, since it has neither enough tall trees to create a canopy nor a lot of small plants blocking the way, but it does appear to have a tropical climate--if Fortree City shares that climate, then it would be a rainforest too due to the tall trees blocking sunlight from reaching the ground (in the video games, at least--the anime appears to have high amounts of sunlight reaching the ground but much of the floor appears to be bare dirt; most likely the inhabitants cleared out the vegetation, and that would make it a jungle).

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
If we use the presence or absence of canopies and low-lying vegetation as the main difference, then Lush Jungle would actually be a rainforest due to there being little sunlight making it down to the ground there. Hoenn Route 119 doesn't appear to be either, since it has neither enough tall trees to create a canopy nor a lot of small plants blocking the way, but it does appear to have a tropical climate--if Fortree City shares that climate, then it would be a rainforest too due to the tall trees blocking sunlight from reaching the ground (in the video games, at least--the anime appears to have high amounts of sunlight reaching the ground but much of the floor appears to be bare dirt; most likely the inhabitants cleared out the vegetation, and that would make it a jungle).

Do Hawaii and Kyushu (Alola and Hoenn's real-life counterparts) actually have any jungles/rainforests though?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Do Hawaii and Kyushu (Alola and Hoenn's real-life counterparts) actually have any jungles/rainforests though?
For hawaii there is few but Kyushu dunno as not much is know for sure as both islanders and mainlander is at each other neck at for long time...Maybe a small rainforest but it is probably a nomal forest that rain lot like we had a forest in North America that do have rain lots but it not much or nor is rain hard like a actual Rainforest often do.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Regigigas could technically be said not to be from any specific region since it keeps showing up in other regions after Gen IV in the wild and still connected to the other Regi found in those regions. The first three could either be original created in a Hoenn or Sinnoh or even Galar as it has never been said where specifically they were made or that only a few exist as Platinum showed that you could have any of them to awaken Regigigas and it doesn’t have to be the Regi that are unlocked from the event Regigigas to awaken the one in Snowpoint Temple.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

Jungles and rainforests do exist on Hawaii, and they take up more territory than any other biome due to them being tropical islands. As for Kyushu, I'm not entirely sure, since neither biome is that common outside of the tropics, but if it's there, it likely doesn't take up the entirety of the land unoccupied by humans.

Having a lot of rainfall and there being a lot of vegetation don't constitute a place being a jungle or a rainforest. For instance, the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, British Columbia) get a lot of rainfall west of the Cascades, and there's a lot of plant life as a result, but they are not jungles nor rainforests because that rainfall is not constant throughout the year, which is one of the requirements for both. (I believe said requirement is 30 cm or more of rain per month. There aren't many places north or south of the tropics that have that kind of regular weather all year long, since it would require little variation between seasons, a characteristic of the tropic latitudes.)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Kubfu and Urshifu are not originally native to Galar, or the Isle of Armor for that matter. Their Dex entries say they came from a land far away from Galar in ancient times, and made their home in the Galarian mountains. Similarly, Pancham and Pangoro are not native to Kalos, but could instead have come from wherever Kubfu and Urshifu's original home is, which could be a region based on China, where pandas - their real-life basis - are from.

Redstar45

Kubfu and Urshifu are not originally native to Galar, or the Isle of Armor for that matter. Their Dex entries say they came from a land far away from Galar in ancient times, and made their home in the Galarian mountains. Similarly, Pancham and Pangoro are not native to Kalos, but could instead have come from wherever Kubfu and Urshifu's original home is, which could be a region based on China, where pandas - their real-life basis - are from.
Actually Kubfu and their 2nd evolution forms Urshifu used to live in mountains of Galar Region but they starts to move far aways from Galar to a another region.

Redstar45

I'd be interested to know whether you guys think that any of the regional starters are originally from another region.
Well the anime episode about the Lizardon valley hinted that is case as it was in Jotou region

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'd be interested to know whether you guys think that any of the regional starters are originally from another region.

I was actually thinking something like that a few days ago. I think there was an (official?) handbook back in the day for Red/Blue/Yellow where Professor Oak says he caught the Kanto starters in the patch of grass to the east of Pallet Town, meaning they are native to Kanto at least, but the other sets of starters seem like they come from a region other than the ones they were introduced in. Chimpanzees and penguins definitely aren't native to Hokkaido, which is Sinnoh's real-life basis.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I was actually thinking something like that a few days ago. I think there was an (official?) handbook back in the day for Red/Blue/Yellow where Professor Oak says he caught the Kanto starters in the patch of grass to the east of Pallet Town, meaning they are native to Kanto at least, but the other sets of starters seem like they come from a region other than the ones they were introduced in. Chimpanzees and penguins definitely aren't native to Hokkaido, which is Sinnoh's real-life basis.

There are also a lot of starters whose fully evolved forms carry a theme associated with some other place, like Torterra being based on the world-turtles in Hindu mythology and Greninja being based on, well, ninja.

Galar is the only region whose fully evolved starters are all tied to their region's basis.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
There are also a lot of starters whose fully evolved forms carry a theme associated with some other place, like Torterra being based on the world-turtles in Hindu mythology and Greninja being based on, well, ninja.

Galar is the only region whose fully evolved starters are all tied to their region's basis.

The Unova starters are all based on things that aren't really endemic to New York; Serperior is inspired by French royalty (specifically Louis XIV), Emboar takes inspiration from Chinese mythology, and Samurott is obviously a samurai crossed with a sea otter, neither of which are native to NY (sea otters come more from the Pacific Northwest).

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
I see some comments here suggesting the Beldum family are not native to Hoenn but I think there's a possibility the Beldum family are artificial Pokemon (similar to Porygon) created by Devon due to their computer-like brains and the fact Steven is the only person to command a member of the family in the entire Hoenn region. The wild ones appearing in other regions could be the result of more of them being created or bred and released by then (it's also worth noting that in the places Beldum family can be found in the wild you can find Ditto, another Pokemon speculated to be artificial.)

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I see some comments here suggesting the Beldum family are not native to Hoenn but I think there's a possibility the Beldum family are artificial Pokemon (similar to Porygon) created by Devon due to their computer-like brains and the fact Steven is the only person to command a member of the family in the entire Hoenn region. The wild ones appearing in other regions could be the result of more of them being created or bred and released by then (it's also worth noting that in the places Beldum family can be found in the wild you can find Ditto, another Pokemon speculated to be artificial.)

With the exception of Galar, in which Ditto is found at the Lake of Outrage and Beldum is found at Snowslide Slope.

OwensJB

Never thought of it like that before but I think you're right that Beldum and its evos might be man-made like Porygon.

TwilightBlade

Huh that actually makes a whole lot of sense and the gift Beldum that Steven leaves for us in the Hoenn games could be one of the mass produced Beldums that his dad's company made.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:

Is this "official" handbook in English or Japanese? Because if it's the former then it's likely made-up information that was added in by whoever wrote the book. Not that I think that the Gen I Starters aren't native to Kanto, I simply dislike that sometimes NOA or people affiliated with them back in the day invented their own canon.