• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon - The Hoenn League (06,07,08)

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
I like AG alot if May was given the co-star status that Dawn was given, and if Ash had a rival like Paul it would be my favorite saga.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've been watching old Advanced Generation episodes these past few months, and I like how the Houen saga went and fixed many of Jouto's flaws. Haruka was an improvement over Kasumi, and Masato added something to the cast too. I just didn't think Takeshi was needed.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
At its beginning of Hoenn, I was distraught that the original trio of Ash, Misty and Brock were being split up and threatened to lose interest in the show as a result. However, I found the introduction of May to be an interesting prospect, and I soon grew to really like her and her Pokemon.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Wow AG really changed the show cuz Misty had left and Ash and Team Rocket had to get rid of most of their old pokemon. May and Max were interesting and I would've preferred if Brock hadn't come back cuz sadly he didn't do much. Ash's Hoenn team was incredible however, plus contests were neat.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Eh, without Brock in the Hoenn cast, Ash wouldn't have had any other male friend to chat with, except for Max, who was kind of lame. :c

Well if Brock hadn't come back in AG, Ash could've had a different male companion in Hoenn like Brendan perhaps ha ha. I'm kind of disappointed that we never saw Brendan in AG cuz I would've liked to see how he would've been handled.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Actually we did see him during the AG saga: he cameo'd in the Jirachi movie iirc, though only for a second.

O I know that, but I meant that we never saw him in the main show itself. He should've been Ash's AG rival from my perspective, tho instead all we got as Ash's rival in this saga was Morrison at the end of the region. :[

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
O I know that, but I meant that we never saw him in the main show itself. He should've been Ash's AG rival from my perspective, tho instead all we got as Ash's rival in this saga was Morrison at the end of the region. :[

Morrison was more of a League rival anyway, which I don't think counts. Tyson still trumped him regardless IMO because his team minus Meowth was more impressive.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Morrison was more of a League rival anyway, which I don't think counts. Tyson still trumped him regardless IMO because his team minus Meowth was more impressive.

Tyson's team was good and his league match against Ash in the Hoenn league tourney was great except for his Meowth winning ha ha. I didn't like how Meowth vs Pikachu was the final battle, tho I liked how Team Rocket's Meowth cheered for him. ^^;

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Tyson's team was good and his league match against Ash in the Hoenn league tourney was great except for his Meowth winning ha ha. I didn't like how Meowth vs Pikachu was the final battle, tho I liked how Team Rocket's Meowth cheered for him. ^^;

Tyson deserved to win, though I wish his Sceptile had been the winner at the end lol. Hoenn's League was an underwhelming mess aside from Ash versus Tyson IMO...

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Nostalgia wise, this was my first series. This does not excuse the rather lackluster contests. It gave us pretty memorable characters on the other hand.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Nostalgia wise, this was my first series. This does not excuse the rather lackluster contests. It gave us pretty memorable characters on the other hand.

Houen's Contests were consistently good from my point of view. I'll admit that perhaps the one that featured Rooibos Town and the Pokemon Daisuki Mama-san club was slightly generic mainly due to Tsukiko's personality, but even so I still thought that the Appeals were good, and Haruka losing in the Rooibos Contest was refreshing after her two previous wins.

MockingJ

Banned
When Hoenn began I was salty with the cast because Max was annoying and Brock didn't do much but I kind of like this saga now for making Ash a good trainer. He was finding his stride by the time the Hoenn league started.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
When Hoenn began I was salty with the cast because Max was annoying and Brock didn't do much but I kind of like this saga now for making Ash a good trainer. He was finding his stride by the time the Hoenn league started.

Masato's know-it-all shtick was kind of funny on occasion, and in his defense he did sometimes know more than Satoshi or the others. He just had a habit of being useless in action scenes for obvious reasons.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I'm too lazy to have a huge write up so I will make a list:
  • Team Magma/Aqua were handled well all the way until the climax episodes
  • Ash having no rival for the majority of the region was stupid
  • I didn't care for his two rivals that he finally did get during the Hoenn League
  • May's contest journey wasn't very exciting
  • The Grand Festival was handled more poorly than the Magma/Aqua climax
  • Max was terrible
  • Brock was just there
Better than Johto and the Orange Islands but worse than Kanto but only barely worse.

I gotta disagree about Team Aqua and Team Magma. I thought both were treated like crap since they would appear in a few episodes and then they'd flee at the end for no reason after doing almost nothing at all.

They were like the Team Rocket trio minus the blasting off part...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I gotta disagree about Team Aqua and Team Magma. I thought both were treated like crap since they would appear in a few episodes and then they'd flee at the end for no reason after doing almost nothing at all.

I agree that their treatment wasn't very spectacular. They were more competent than the Rocket-dan trio, but the writers didn't seem to know exactly how to handle their subplots since they seemed to put the minimum amount of effort into it. I'm still irked that we never saw their scheme at Mt. Pyre in the anime.

Bendicion

Water Master
The Hoenn region is actually the worst one. This is the season of Pokémon that actually completely alienated me as a child. Max is absolutely annoying, May does not even compare with Misty, the humor becomes dry, and the whole series just gives you the hint that it will never change its boring formula: Ash and gang discovers new Pokémon, there is some conflict around it, Team Rocket interfere but they always end up blasting off again, Ash saves the day. Nothing in AG stood out to me. I watched every episode in the AG series and I only seemed to enjoy the episodes that focused on Contests. I think it had something to do with Contests being a new thing in the series. Anyway, I just got bored with Ash and his Gym battles, so I tried to watch what May was up to. She wasn't really my favorite character but at least she had some interesting rivals. The rest of AG was just sort of bland.