• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon - The Indigo League (01)

kmyeakel

I really enjoyed the old school Pokemon. What I got to say is that there were a lot of good for the whole series. Ash Ketchum got Pikachu because he overslept. He met Misty when she was fishing. Then Ash stole Misty's bike. Misty later finds him at the Viridian City Pokemon Center. Team Rocket makes their first appearence with Ekans, Koffing, and a talking Meowth. Team Rocket failed. Ash catches 1st pokemon. (Freaks Misty Out) and so on. I enjoyed "Island of the Giant Pokemon" because its the 1st time that the pokemon got separated. "Pikachu's Goodbye" was a very emotional episode with "The time has come" The memories from this series when I was young.
10/10

Bananarama

The light is coming
This series probably remains my favorite, pretty much based on the nostalgia. I liked how there was diversity with the plots of these episodes (with some holiday ones, etc.) and I still think that Misty is my favorite Pokegirl.

Gillachu

Banned
A good saga which gave us some of the best filler episodes so far. I loved Ash in the Indigo saga and Misty and Brock were kind of fun too even if they barely did as much as Ash. ;)

JudySpell

Banned
I give this saga a 8/10 because it did so many things right with the exception of the League and the gap after Fuchsia City. It had amazing fillers, music, and development.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The Indigo saga was my favourite saga of the show when I was younger cuz I felt that the episodes were funnier and more original, which might have to do with Mr Shudo's involvement hee hee. I loved how Ash, Misty and Brock got along cuz even when they bickered, they were still good friends. :3

Leonhart

Imagineer
The first saga of the anime is iconic, but I think that the quality of the episodes themselves declined steadily, especially towards the Sekiei League mini-arc. The dozen or so fillers between Satoshi's last Gym match and the Sekiei League seemed like a waste of time.

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
Positives:
Characters - discluding Pokemon I can't think of a character that wasn't good, & that's including gym leaders & most CotD's. Misty I might find annoying, but she is a very realistic & has something that you have to admire her for (that she won't let what her sisters say about her be true). Ash was the most interesting & realistic here, & if he wasn't aging I wish they didn't 'mature' him. He had realistic reactions (expcally for a ten ur old), but also had some deep emotional moments that were never really there after OS. Brock is also realistic & had an interesting background too! I hate Jessie but I miss her personality that she used to have that really defined her, & miss that as well with James & meowth. And all the dynamics between TRio & ash & co was pretty interesting.

Humor - I can still laugh at some scenes while at best kalos series made me smirk at some stuff.

Lessons - they had pretty good ones. People complain 'waaa ash didn't deserve the majority of his badges' but I thought they had good lesson to them. Plus a lot of times a lot of things ash did came back to bite him in the butt & made you think about your actions.

Development - a lot didn't come till johto/hoenn, but the characters did receive good development. Plus while Pokemon didn't really have personality it actually took time for a lot of ash's Pokemon to bond with ash which I found cool. It took charizard longer than wanted though.

Episode-to-episode plots - the fillers where even interesting as the plot they had there. It was sometimes dark, touching, emotional, funny, or just plain interesting.

Negatives:
Battles - some where interesting, but most suck. And that stupid referee in ash vs Ritchie fight. And why didn't they have Ritchie's pikachu (zippo?) just thunder & ko charizard? Would of felt less cheep of a loss :c

Straight plot - if your looking for a good structured plot from anywhere in OS... your gonna be disappointed.

Pokemon personalities - pikachu & togiepi was the only one with personality really. None of Brock or misty's Pokemon had a set defined personality (besides togepi). Bulbasaur seemed to lost his personality when captured & same with squirtle. What is pidgots personality? Charmander... well then he evolved & became bratty & moody for no reason. Butterfree just has some personality when it was a caterpie.

Overall: 8/10 (great)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
The Indigo saga was great for me as I was learning the same time Ash was learning, lol. I enjoyed the captures and Gym battles but was disappointed with the departures of Butterfree, Primeape and Pidgeot.

ToonsJazzLover

Pros:
+ Humor was constant. There were plenty of funny moments to keep the episodes watchable
+ Had some classic episodes. Mainly the first episode, Pikachu's Goodbye, Volcano Panic
+ Most of the character of the day were memorable. Compared to Orange Islands/Johto, I'm rather familiar with most of them.
+ The soundtrack. I really enjoy the background music that played throughout this season, as well as most of the anime.

Neutral
+/- Characterization were all over the place. I was mixed on all of the characters were written here, but Brock and Team Rocket were constantly good. Ash and Misty weren't really at their best in this season.
+/- I was mixed on the Battles in this season. Gym battles however aren't that good for the most part, but this is just the beginning.

Cons:
- Voice acting was rather off in early episodes. Understandable since it's 4kids' first dubbed anime. It picked up by the end of the season.
- Most of the gym battles, mainly because the badges weren't earned through defeating gym leaders.
- Early installment weirdness. Yeah, after watching later Pokemon series in the late 2000s, I'm not really used to stuffs like real life references, Ash blushing in one episode, etc.

My Thoughts: A lot of people who are familiar with the anime are most likely gonna remember the Indigo League season. I enjoyed it a lot when I younger, but as an adult, while I still enjoyed it, there were some flaws that prevent from being a rather awesome season (despite what most people say). Ash and Misty aren't the best written characters in this arc, but Brock and Team Rocket are almost constantly good for the most part and they provide some of the funnier moments. Ash was new, so I understand his character traits here. Not too much of a fan of Misty since she was annoying at times. The gym battles should've been better, as most of the badges were earned without truly defeating the gym leaders. As stated, the battles are mixed and they have also been better, especially the finale of the Indigo League. Nevertheless, I still had some fun with this series, as there's plenty of great episodes. There's some really nice emotional moments, mainly the Goodbye Pikachu episode, which I will admit, felt stronger than most of the series. All in all, Indigo League is perfect for those who want to be introduced to Pokemon, but it's not really my favorite season (in my humble opinion). More on that as I continue to binge the whole anime. 8/10

Best Episodes: Pokemon - I Choose You, Here Comes the Squirtle Squad, Pikachu's Goodbye, Volcano Panic
Worst Episodes: The Water Flowers of Cerulean City, The Path to the Pokemon League, Friend and Foe Alike

Leonhart

Imagineer
- Early installment weirdness. Yeah, after watching later Pokemon series in the late 2000s, I'm not really used to stuffs like real life references, Ash blushing in one episode, etc.

There were a few odd moments in early Kanto where Satoshi was acting out of character, such as when he found Seiyo attractive. The undersea St. Annu episode also had Kasumi and Takeshi act differently than normal, although I chalk these instances up as being a case of the writers simply not knowing in which direction to take the characters since the series was still new back then.

This part of the show gets no love. Everyone seems to hate the bad decisions such as Charizard's stubbornness, Ash giving away his Primeape and him losing the League, but this arc had the best fillers like the Pokemopolis one.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kanto had a knack for memorable filler episodes, although a few like the Pikachu forest episode and the botanical garden episode were pretty vapid. I don't know who wrote those, but I'm probably not a fan of their other works.

Honestly, it's a bad season because it was rather badly written. It might be because it's pretty much advertising the games and thus there wasn't enough time to produce a proper plot, 4KIDS refused to remain true to the script at times (though they made the Team Rocket trio one of the best characters in the show, I'll give them that), jelly-filled doughnuts, Pikachu the horn, Ash didn't really win all of his badges properly, Brock's mother is "dead", the infamous Porygon episode, there's a lot.

In defence of 4Kids, they had no idea that we'd see Brock's mom four years later.

gentwoer

Kanto had a knack for memorable filler episodes, although a few like the Pikachu forest episode and the botanical garden episode were pretty vapid. I don't know who wrote those, but I'm probably not a fan of their other works.

The writer of the Pikachu episode was Shinzo Fujita and it was his first episode and apparently he wrote episodes all the way into the Best Wishes saga.

Though honestly none of his episodes in the Kanto saga were very good. After that episode he wrote the Clefairy UFO episode, the surfing Pikachu episode, and the last episode of the Pokemon league. So yeah a very banal track record for Kanto at least.

Make Room for Gloom however was written by Junki Takegami. Who wrote some of the BEST episodes in the Kanto saga imo. Showdown in Peter City, Charmander the Stray Pokemon, Abra ad the psychic showdown, Haunter vs Kadrabra, Holy Matrimony! and Princess vs Princess

He also wrote: Sparks fly for Magnemite, The Kangashan Kid, Showdown in dark city, Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon, Case of the K-9 Caper, the Cinnabar Island two-parter, the Bruno of the elite four episode, and Fire and Ice.

Honestly Make Room for Gloom was probably Takegami's worst episode.

gentwoer

H, 4KIDS refused to remain true to the script at times (though they made the Team Rocket trio one of the best characters in the show, I'll give them that), jelly-filled doughnuts, Pikachu the horn, Ash didn't really win all of his badges properly, Brock's mother is "dead", the infamous Porygon episode, there's a lot.

Only 2 of those 4 things is 4Kids fault. You could at least be consistent in your criticisms. Just saying.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I love this saga because it is so darn, rewatchable. The fillers are enjoyable and comedic. Ash is newb, yes, but he's relatable and not happy go lucky all the time.
I will admit that a lot of the battles suck but despite this, this saga is still really enjoyable. I feel like the writers have never been able to capture this same type of magic again.