• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon - The Indigo League (01)

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
I feel like the writers have never been able to capture this same type of magic again.

I feel like the magic of this saga was due to the anime being new and having more room to grow. Back then the writers could take more risks than they do now, which resulted in intriguing plot points.

Kintaro

Banned
And besides, I remember Misty and Brock getting some episodes to themselves, so I wouldn't say that Ash was taking all of their screentime.

They had some eps to themselves, but not too many. Although in Kanto they remained entertaining so it didn't matter. It's once you get over to Johto that the lack of screentime for them becomes obvious and is a problem.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
And besides, I remember Misty and Brock getting some episodes to themselves, so I wouldn't say that Ash was taking all of their screentime.

Kasumi had a few memorable episodes in Kanto, but Takeshi's side of the development was low by comparison since he hardly did anything noteworthy in this saga.

Kintaro

Banned

Come to think of it I think the only Misty centered eps in Kanto after the Gym match, was the Princess Day episode, Togepi hatching ep, and the Misty Mermaid episode. Even eps where she got a new pokemon like Horsea and Psyduck, the rest of the episode didn't focus on her at all. Remember she got Psyduck in that Hypno/Drowzee filler of all things. She of course had moments that focused on her in the other various episodes, but those were the only few completely centered around her.

Honestly after watching all the later sagas, it really just puts into perspective how little focus Misty and Brock really did get in the OS.

MockingJ

Banned
They had some eps to themselves, but not too many. Although in Kanto they remained entertaining so it didn't matter. It's once you get over to Johto that the lack of screentime for them becomes obvious and is a problem.

Yeah Johto affected all of the characters in a negative way. But even before that I felt that Misty began to get more boring around the middle of Kanto because she got Togepi and became too motherly which made her less prone to bickering with Ash about things.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
Yeah Johto affected all of the characters in a negative way. But even before that I felt that Misty began to get more boring around the middle of Kanto because she got Togepi and became too motherly which made her less prone to bickering with Ash about things.

I feel that Kasumi's toned-down personality in Jouto might've also been due to the anime having a more mellow vibe by that point, and gag violence and bickering in general weren't showcased as much by the time that the anime had reached the Jouto era.

iraqmaster

Honestly, it's a bad season because it was rather badly written. It might be because it's pretty much advertising the games and thus there wasn't enough time to produce a proper plot, 4KIDS refused to remain true to the script at times (though they made the Team Rocket trio one of the best characters in the show, I'll give them that), jelly-filled doughnuts, Pikachu the horn, Ash didn't really win all of his badges properly, Brock's mother is "dead", the infamous Porygon episode, there's a lot.

However, even with the bad writing and plotholes, and the blinding nostalgia, I do have a soft spot for it. If anything, I like it for the lulz, and also to see just how much has changed since the beginning. I won't watch it all the time, but if I buy the first season boxset, it'll be for my own kids to watch.
4Kids had nothing to do with Ash not winning his badges in a proper manner, or the PoryGon Episode.