1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon - The Johto League (03,04,05)

Discussion in 'Episode Discussions' started by Serebii, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

Pokémon - The Johto League (03,04,05)

The Johto League!

After losing to Gary Oak, Ash decides to head to Johto, the place where trainers are tougher, in order to beat him once and for all. Joined by his friends Misty & Brock he goes in search of new adventure and brand new Pokémon. When he gets his partners Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Totodile and Noctowl he goes and beats the 8 gyms of Johto whilst entering in multiple town fairs and contests. Ash then gets to the Johto League Silver Conference and battles his hardest. He beats Gary in a tough 6 on 6 battle but loses to a guy from Hoenn, Harrison and his Blaziken. Finishing in the Top 8, he then splits from Misty, who needs to take over the Cerulean Gym, and Brock, who has to go on an errand. He gets new incentive to battle harder as he sees Ho-oh fly to Hoenn so he leaves all his Pokémon except Pikachu at Professor Oaks and heads to Hoenn alone for a new adventure!

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

2. Altair

Altair Guest

Well, I thought it was terrible how he left all his pokemon behind. They were great.
    I am glad that he kept Pikachu at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2006
  3. ChaosMage

ChaosMage Izit cuz I is black?

Johto was doing something right. Developed pokemon, exciting battles, resolution of the Gary rivalry, commitment to games, a good league... and a lot of potential wasted through lack of evolutions, overload of filler, and dull characters. Shame really, since Cyndaquil, Noctowl and Heracross have so much potential.

4. Crystal Clair

Crystal Clair Well-Known Member

I personally loved this region. I actually haven't even seen the later half of the Johto League Champions.
    To me, this season was like NeoKanto and done just right, though not nearly as much "classic" episodes as there was in Kanto/Orange Islands. Some episodes that are in memory (not including Clair, Morty, Whitney and other gymleader and favorite character episodes, hence not making it biased)
    The Wayward Wobbufet: the title speaks for itself
    For Cryin' Out Loud: lots of character developement for Misty
    Beauty and the Breeder: Brock and Suzie reunite (nuff said)
    Hassle in the Castle: come on, how often do our heros end up in a secretpassage way in a medieval castle
    Air Time: nuff said
    That episode where that mecha Arbok went cukoo. I still remember it.
    If I went saying all the episodes that I thought made this season special, I'd get in trouble..... but seriously, I think this region earned it's golden 2nd place in the region faceoff.

5. Infinite Master Sceptile

Infinite Master Sceptile Bow to Groucho

Johto Journeys was good, Johto League Champions was filler-ific, and Master Quest had its ups and downs. Not enough captures.

6. Kabuto

Kabuto little punks!

This region started out fantastic plummeted then has one of the best parts of the series. Originally the region was great with a strong team and funny episodes. Suddenly around the time Johto Champions started, there were fillers galore. Luckily, the Johto league had some of the best battles in the show and finally resolved Ash's rivalry.

7. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

The end of Johto was really good, mainly from the Claire episodes, through the Larvitar arc and the Johto league.

But that was when the writers finally got their acts in gear, and they were preparing for AG at the time, so they finally got up off their asses and started writing good episodes again.

8. Geki

Geki Guest

I officially hated this whole saga. The battles were nice, but I didn't like the captures and endless amounts of fillers. The Johto League and the Gym Battles were the only good things in this saga.

9. Magus

Magus Fog Trainer

The overload of filler was fairly inevitable, since we're dealing with an arc that's longer than Indigo and Orange combined, yet doesn't really have any more story content. Even if they'd made every Gym Battle a 2 or 3-parter and doubled the length of the Johto League itself, there'd still be a ton of filler.

10. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Thunder Trainer

Jouto had way too much filler for its own good. Aside from that, Kasumi and Takeshi's characters beccame pointless.

There needed to be more story then what they had.

Shigeru should have showed up more often, too. And if they had Hiroshi appearances, and introduced Hazuki earlier, the arc would have flown better.

11. Aptenodytes

Aptenodytes Well-Known Member

This season was... well blah. It wasn't really that good, but at least at the end it started to become decent...

12. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife JElliot

Worthwhile things in the 3 years this show was on.

1 Some Gym Battles
    2 The Johto League Championship
    3 The Theme Song for JLC
    4 Charizard's actually getting character development
    5 Whirl Islands
    6 Gotta Catch you Later

I'd list what was not good, but I don't have the time, so I will just say the big one.
    Johto League Champions. Can't name one good thing that happened in that season.

13. Satoshi

Satoshi メイの大切の彼氏

This has got to be the lowest and most boring period in the anime. The only worthwhile things here are some of the Gym Battles, the movies and non-filler episodes, plus the openings and endings - OK!, Mezase Pokemon Master 2001, and Ready Go!. It became at least decent somewhere around the Silver Conference.

Everything else was just overrun with uninteresting fillers and whatnot. Pure and utter crap.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  14. Ashy Boy

Ashy Boy Paul's #1 Rival

Jotho was OK but only the Jotho Journeys season. Most of it was completely useless because of several reasons:
    1) Team Rocket and their predicitable schemes
    2) Wobuffet
    3) Useless minor characters

Of course, I'm not saying that all post -JJ episodes are lame. There are some fav eps of mine such as:
    1) One Trick Phoney
    2) Tie One On
    3) A Hot Water Battle

15. Adam_stm

Adam_stm Well-Known Member

My favorite season was 4 because thats whaen I started watching Pokemon.

16. Cartoonami

Cartoonami To know the unkown

We can agree that season 3, 'The Johto Journeys' was the crummiest one in the series.
    Otherwise, I find that the shows that are repeatable are the really good fillers. Like 'One Trick Phoney' or 'Espeon, Not Included'.

17. dannyphantomhott

dannyphantomhott Ash fan girl! Cute!

I liked the Jhoto saga, I personally think its hilerious at times and had some good animated moments. Plus I liked how great of Pokemon battler he has become. And I also liked the moments when Team Rocket and Ash would work together, good times, good time, they need to do that with AG some more or D/P now that where coming to it.

18. YourLocalHominid

YourLocalHominid Beginning Trainer

I didn't like this era much at all. Way too much useless filler, Misty/Brock became useless, so much character potential was wasted, too little captures, same old dry Team Rocket routine, generic/boring filler characters, and just an overall anemic-feeling saga that couldn't draw me in any other time than most of Johto Journeys, the gym battles, non-filler episodes and the conclusion.

This season gets a 5/10, and 2 points come from pity.

19. Ugobama

Ugobama Well-Known Member

If you ask me Johtoh was too drawn out. I think it had somewhere over 150 eps. Too many filler eps also.

20. YourLocalHominid

YourLocalHominid Beginning Trainer

Lol Yeah, that's the part I hated most. There were 3 Johto seasons, with about 170 eps in all. Out of that 170, it seemed like 160 were filler eps.