• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon the Series Sun & Moon

Sonnas

I got tired of Kiteruguma's gag after the first dozen instances that it was used. I was actually relieved that Kiteruguma didn't follow the Rocket-dan to Kanto at the end of SM.
Same tbh. And I don't get how is it so powerful? Is it because he's a gag character?

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
As Dragon Ball Super taught us, even Super Saiyans are no match for the power of gag characters (as Vegeta learned the hard way when he tried to fight Arale from Dr. Slump), and as such... Yeah sure, Kiteruguma's omnipotence is entirely reasonable. Though I mean she isn't wholly omnipotent. She couldn't beat Akujiking.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Ahhhh Alola; series that didn't put lots of emotion in my heart. Back in 2018 I thought this series is the worst but, later once it finished, it's better than Johto series. I decided to gather up episodes which I find in positive light aka at least 6/10 to 10/10. Anything below 6/10 is bad episode for me.

Episodes: 1,2,4,5,7,8,9,10,12,14,15,19,21,25,27,33,34,36,42,43,47,49,51,52,53,54,63,70,73,74,75,77,81,87,88,89,90,97,100,101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,115,118,125,127,130,132,134,135,136,137,138,139,141,142,143,144,146

But most/some of these episodes are pretty average aka 6/10. There are some episodes that go 8/10 and beyond. So I found around 65 episodes to be good, average,amazing. And around 80 to be bad, trash etc.

My rating for SM is 6.5/10.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sonnas said:
Same tbh. And I don't get how is it so powerful? Is it because he's a gag character?

I always assumed that her strength was an exaggerated gag much like a lot of the other gag scenes in SM, although her strength might also be attributed to her being part Fighting-type.

RafaSceptile

The second thing I liked most about SM has been the way in which the Alola League was treated as the final arc of the series, something that didn't happen since the Sinnoh league, and both leagues are possibly the best leagues so far, although the Johto League was also very good

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
I find it weird that so many hate this series, but most people who watch the pokemon anime wanted it to change from the rut it was in:
-Bigger cast members (though, I'd agree that it was bad of them to have the amount they did)
- Got rid of traveling & show became more SoL
-Brock & Misty came back, for 2 separate cameos + Jigglypuff
-Legionaries/Mythicals owned by Ash
-Ash won a league, & seemed to have been the strongest trainer in Alola
-At the end, Ash didn't Oak his pokemon

Pros:
+Characters
Ash: Ash is kinda a better version of Hoenn imo. He has loads of personality, acts like the kid he is, & is a competent trainer. Yet, not everything goes his way & he isn't good at everything.

Jessie, James, & Meowth: I love how all have their personality in this series, & a few moments where they seemed to be a threat. They brought back Jame's bottle cap obsession & Jessie's acting dream. And it's nice that they weren't shoved into every episode as well.

Lillie: Her development throughout the show was just so great, & I love getting to know about her past and family the more the show went on.

Gladeon: I love the dynamic he had as Ash's rival and how while he usually was friendly towards Ash, wasn't as peppy and outgoing as most of the anime's friendly rivals.

Kiawe: He was just an interesting concept of being raised on a farm, & like how he had to warm up to Ash at first as he likes to follow rules & traditions.

Lana: I like how Lana seemed like a strong trainer at the end, and like how she can be chill & a tease, but can be pretty scary as well.

Acerola: I think it's cool how she has a pokemon that's an actual ghost, and like how she helps Ash.

Oliva: I like that she can be a bit of a klutz and has a childlike personality.

Happu: She's such an interesting character with being close to her grandfather and wanting to look after his farm & follow in his foot steps once he was gone. I also found it interesting that how she grew being only around adults & having no friends made her a strong trainer but made her too secluded.

Lusamine: Yeah, game Lusamine was best, but I also liked her in the anime. She still cares deeply for her children, but has a lot of faults addressed by Lillie and by herself in the anime.

Pokemon: All had unique personality, even pokemon not own by Ash. I also enjoyed Insinaror's & Tortsnator's backstory, & love how most have motives of their own.

+Battles: While most people in Alola weren't seasoned trainers like Ash, the battles we did see were alright.

+Openings: I did like the 2nd & last openings (English Dub) for the anime. I feel like they fit the mood for the show and are unique!

Mehs:
>Bewear was an insteresting way to lessen TRio "blasting off," it did get annoying after awhile to have most of the conflict be solved by Bewear taking them away.

>Humor: I really didn't find anything too funny in this series... I didn't care for the over exaggerated facial expressions or anything really. I guess the problem is I'm just not a kid though.

>Ash, Jessie, & James's design: I got used to it after awhile, yet this is my least fav look for Jessie & James, & 2nd or 3rd least fav look for Ash

>The league I found semi interesting. Didn't expect Koko to come up to battle with the professor to battle Ash & for Ash to win.

>Ultra Alola Defense Force (or whatever it's called): I guess it was to have more action in the anime & was for the game's plot, but I didn't really care too much about the episodes where Ash & his classmates go & stop an ultra beast.

Dislike:
-Mallow: There was only one good episode involving her. Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful episode that brought me to tears, but besides that episode, she's pretty background & a pretty generic character.

-Sophocles: Just a bad Clemont clone. Don't get me wrong, I like Clemont, but Sophocles is just not interesting and barley did anything besides eat and complain.

-Other classmates not getting much pokemon of their own: Mallow had 1 & a temp Shymin that only cured pokemon of stat condition, Lillie only got Snowy & Magerna at the end of the series, Sophocles just had Togidemaru & Vikavolt, Kiawe only had Tortinator & Charizard, & Lana only had Primarina & Sandy. I don't understand how they went to the league when they only had 2 pokemon.

-The knock out round of the league: It was an awful way to start the league! We could've had a powerful trainer knocked out her because Ash & his friends ganged up on him so they can make it to the next round.

Overall: It's not as bad as people make it out to be, nor would I say it's a great season. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

This series was recommended by Mother's Basement in hisvideo about good long anime series to watch during the quaraintine because COVID-19. So yeah....this series is definitely, at least, GOOD.

Another thing that makes SM quite good is how it gave importance to the Alola League, to the point that it was almost 1/8 of the entire series.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
This series was pretty good when you think about it. The school setting wasn't so great but Ash's friends were cool and they behaved like real friends would in real life. Kukui was a nice dude too for letting Ash live with him and I thought that the change of pace was exciting because Ash no longer had to travel in every single episode and he could just relax and do things his own way.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Isn't mother's basement a show with keemstar as one of its host? As much as I love SM, that recommendation means nothing coming from a person like him :p
No, it's an anime channel

DatsRight

-Other classmates not getting much pokemon of their own: Mallow had 1 & a temp Shymin that only cured pokemon of stat condition, Lillie only got Snowy & Magerna at the end of the series, Sophocles just had Togidemaru & Vikavolt, Kiawe only had Tortinator & Charizard, & Lana only had Primarina & Sandy. I don't understand how they went to the league when they only had 2 pokemon.

Actually Kiawe had three Pokemon (Turtonator, Marowak and Charizard). Lana weirdly had a Lapras that was forgotten about after about the first season.

It was annoying but I suppose it did at least streamline things for proper focus and chemistry between each trainer's teams. Ash's full team only worked because they paced spotlight carefully enough that each one got proper limelight and bonds (though Naganadel was still kinda screwed over). In hindsight I wonder if they had actually planned the league in advance so only gave the trainers Pokemon according to their placement so everyone got a contribution of some sort. Giving Kiawe and Ash extra Pokemon in that case made sense since they placed higher and so all their Pokemon got to win a round each.

Sonnas

In hindsight I wonder if they had actually planned the league in advance so only gave the trainers Pokemon according to their placement so everyone got a contribution of some sort. Giving Kiawe and Ash extra Pokemon in that case made sense since they placed higher and so all their Pokemon got to win a round each.
I feel like that whole league was just played by ear since it didn't feel that thought out.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
One year since Sun and Moon ended
Looking back its amazing how much of a wild ride it was
Many people (including me) despised it in its first year due to how drastic the artstyle change was and how the Kalos hype still hadnt wore down
I think episode 21 is when I finally decided to be fair with it after how good of an episode it was, and im glad i did as when i rewatched the first 20 episodes later I learned to appreciate many other episodes, prime example being episode 20 itself lol. I saw many more people warming up to it by the akala island arc and its fanbase finally bloomed after the misty brock episodes and then the nebby arc. Obviously it still has its fair share of haters but it also now has its own fanbase which loves and appreciates the changes it brought to the series and love it for what it was and what themes it went with. Many people who seem to hate it tend to ignore what the series was going for and its themes because they are still pissed over what they wanted. Which ig in its own way is fair, SM wasnt for everybody, It was more Slice of Life then any other saga and ig people who dont like that genre will never warm up to the series. Many people also tend to look at the anime as a whole in a very weird way which is that fillers are always bad and that non fillers are the only episodes worth watching. Weird, a series like Pokemon which has almost 900 creatures now needs fillers, SM did an amazing job bringing life to fillers in a new way after the old formula that had existed till XY. They were unique, innovative and wacky, this made them so much more fun. Best of all, SM was AMAZING to Team Rocket Trio. They no longer had to be forced into fillers and held their own episodes and own plots, with amazing interactions with their pokemon (Unlike Journeys *sighs*) and they were very likable after how tiring they became in XY. Sun and Moon definitely broke the mold compared to the older sagas and i can see why some people wouldnt like that, but people who were willing to see change and didnt mind slice of life, seeing the themes of the series, im sure they grown to like the series and many of them love it like i do. SM is definitely the best saga yet at Pokemon interactions, all of them were adorable. The characters were full of personality too even if they didnt always get focus (Looks at mallow and Soph) and the chemistry of the cast was amazing, the alola gang is so wholesome. Character arcs i think were handled pretty well. Some plotline were clumsy, but others i think were handled perfectly. The worldbuilding of this saga is also something i loved, CoTDs returning making this feel like an actual region, the region not being infinitely expanded, the inter continuity between the episodes were amazing. I know many people didnt like Melemele being a major setting but i dont mind him staying there considering the execution, something journeys imo is failing with Vermillion CIty at the moment. Pokemon on its whole being a wholesome series is what makes it shine in my eyes, even if plots arent always perfectly executed (Lets be real, if we are solely looking for good stories we wouldnt come to anipoke) the character personality and arcs, pokemon they make it worthwhile. SM IMO did that best and i found myself smiling at it more than any other series. I did binge watch a lot of it though so that might have helped my perception otherwise maybe i would have been irritated waiting every week, binge watching helped me appreciate every episode properly without irritation. Plus the amount of hate it still gets makes me more defensive of it coz a lot of it can be unjustified (People who still hate SM coz of ash artstyle are so cringy to me) so ig it makes me love it more. Ill miss you SM, my fav anipoke saga yet :)