1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon the Series XY | Pokémon the Series XY&Z

Discussion in 'Episode Discussions' started by Serebii, Nov 11, 2016.

1. I guess that may explain why they used Red's hat in XY Ash's design as well.

2. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

Anime with a potentially infinite number of episodes that has no end and cant spring for godly animation all the time? . I'd still take XY over mainstream stuff like DBS animation wise so it's not even a huge deal

I felt Alan was pretty dull in ACT 1 and got better as things went along. They're not saying he's a literal full copy of anakin, just that he was influenced by evil people under the guise of good intentions but ultimately saw the error of his ways and redeemed himself by the end (minus all the death)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. They should have went with the antagonistic part rather than the "Oh, crap I messed up big time. Sorry, everyone, let me help beat the bad guys.". It would have made a good potential for rivalry between him and Ash and it would have been a good opportunity to redeem the terrible outcome of the league match and Ash could have finally beaten Alain after all those consecutive losses. They don't really need to go Anakin-to-Darth on this one, they can always have Alain redeem himself by getting Ash beating him and go back to the good side by the end. Too bad they wasted the opportunity but then again, a lot of opportunity were wasted in the entire XY series.

4. Satomine Night

Satomine Night The Power of Z!

The sad part is that the end of the final Mega Evolution showed a hint of what could have been Alain's slow descent in villainy - that fierce look of anger on his face when he learned Chespie had fallen into a coma. Once he debuted in the main series, we rarely saw that side of him (probably in part because he was no longer the main focus character); and in the end, he was painted as a good guy who was a victim of manipulation. However, I can see where Alain's character was inspired by Anakin Skywalker.

5. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

?????

??????

Was he ever anything else??

6. Satomine Night

Satomine Night The Power of Z!

No, but he could have been. That was my point.

7. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja ~Ice Cold~

And that's pretty much saying to me that XY&Z filler rate is the lowest one we got and we''ll ever get in the future. A full series like XY&Z with a better league would be perfect.

8. Janovy

Janovy Banned

I find it hilarious that there was apparently no room for fillers in XY&Z and yet they bothered to include one of the worst filler episodes in Pokemon history, the Binacle episode, prior the very Master Class competition instead of going for a transition episode and fleshing out the Master Class.

Or how the pre-League episode was the random inventions episode.

Literally two bad fillers before big competitions.

If they dropped these two fillers and replaced them with build-up episodes, both the League and Master Class would have been less rushed and more fleshed out.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  9. So Amour is meant to be assumed as canon then? .....ok? Just my opinion here, but I tend to feel awkward when shipping people who are both 10 years old....

As for the Alain stuff, that's interesting. I always saw the specials as a way to introduce Alain's backstory without stealing Ash's screentime, but I didn't know that was essentially the idea they were going for anyway. And also, he's based on Anakin Skywalker... that's pretty cool. Even if the prequels were bad, that was more the execution of the plot than the plot itself, as the plot wasn't all bad. I think it's cool that someone from another franchise I enjoy who has a pretty interesting background inspired one of my favourite Pokemon characters!

10. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Except for the part where 10-year olds in this anime act older than their age and look older than their age.

In fact, I think according to Takeshi Shudo's vision of the Pokemon world, kids become adults at the age of 10 (which makes sense given how they're literally allowed to travel the world inhabited by wild Pokemon by themselves).

11. Eh, still makes me feel a tiny bit uncomfortable. Probably just how I've been brought up...

12. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

All I know is that Mega Evolution Act III was the Empire Strikes Back of the series. That episode was perfection.

I guess the logic is that there needs to be fillers as breather episodes every now and then, even if they're absolutely terrible.

Just think of it as one teenager (because they hardly look [maybe in height] nor act like 10-year-olds) making a promise to another that she'll come back to him one day when they're older. Whether the show writers will actually follow through with that X years from now remains to be seen.

13. Ash-Pikachu

Ash-Pikachu Well-Known Member

The issue being that two of the biggest aspects of the anime (League and Master Class) needed to be expanded on, so implementing some of the worst fillers within it to compensate for that is insulting.

Or at least, that's what I interpreted.

14. Agreed. They really should have kept those fillers out of it for transition episodes.

15. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

I'm a little annoyed that they gave Ash the personality they did just to make Serena who she is. Of all the personalities to give, they gave him one as flat as a sheet of paper. I've gave my complaints about Ash's personality, but this new information gives a whole new level of WTF.

16. snorlax512

snorlax512 Well-Known Member

Anakin Skywalker isn't supposed to beat the Protagonist... he loses to obi wan right

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  17. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Clearly Ash was meant to be Luke (and Alain was secret Ash's father all along)

Interesting interview...some of it made me think 'wait...what?' though. It seems like they had all these interesting ideas but dropped them.

XYZ could have been way better without those fillers before the big competitions.

18. Mr. Guy

Mr. Guy Banned

Having to get everything done in a year does explain why XYZ was so rushed.

19. volcanionmaster123

volcanionmaster123 Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree on the fact that while XYZ had the least amount of filler, the ones placed before the major competitions have been some of the worst we've seen in an otherwise pretty good series.

As for the shipping thing, I don't think this interview added anything new except clarification for anyone that doubted what happened

Anyways, I was intrigued why the head honchos decided to have another romantic interest for Satoshi when they still had Misty in the backburner... but sadly I think we all know why now

"he is meant to be in surprised awe"

Well, **** lol, ok fine whatever, no use crying about it anymore

20. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "And just what are you staring at?"

Alain wished he was Anakin. He was like...just 5%.

Not to mention he never died as a bald old man.