• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon the Series XY | Pokémon the Series XY&Z

DatsRight

Everything else wasn't really my cup of tea at all, especially all the focus and praise Ash and a few certain Pokémon of his got and all the Team Rocket appearances in this series.

I liked the Team Rocket appearances where they felt relevant and the writers bothered to make their role interesting (eg. their limelight episodes were nearly always good), but then they started getting shoehorned into every episode for the same old formula or used as a cop out for climaxes they didn't know how to end properly with just the twerps (which was many, MANY episodes). A shame, I loved Inkay and Gourgeist, as well as the more active Wobbuffet early on, and after the undeveloped squad of BW, all these guys really felt like a big family.

For what it's worth Sun/Moon seems to be showing they learnt their lesson with both Ash and Team Rocket...so far.

idk but man I remember when Ash met Steven and his little Arron back in AG

Ash also said he would get stronger to battle Steven one day lol

Well Ash never specifically shown himself not to know Stephen I suppose, just he didn't mention such. I guess it was to avoid confusing newer viewers or simply because they didn't have that much developed interaction.

Last edited:

doofinc

get rillaboomed
In terms of the lack of continuity, the magazine said that it was an oversight and not intentional.

Navin

MALDREAD
I wonder. Do people like the specials mostly because Ash wasn't there?

Because that was a big major reason to me. Ha ha.

Mega Evolution Special Act III was genuinely one of the best, if not the best, episodes in the entire XY series. If you replaced Alain/Manon with Ash/Serena, I'd probably have liked it even more.

In terms of the lack of continuity, the magazine said that it was an oversight and not intentional.

Pretty ****ing big oversight if you ask me.

I hope we get one or two episodes in SM where Ash reflects upon his entire journey to his classmates.

Ash-Pikachu

Well Ash never specifically shown himself not to know Stephen I suppose, just he didn't mention such. I guess it was to avoid confusing newer viewers or simply because they didn't have that much developed interaction.

That's not legitimate criticism given that Ash has mentioned Misty before during Sinnoh.

Even a flashback would suffice.

but Ash acted like he never even met Steven before :(

I wonder why the writers are so reluctant to have continuity in the series

Yeah, that kinda pissed me off. Even if he returned, Ash is like "meh you're a guy". He didn't even get that match that he promised would one day happen. Like wtf dudes.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
So anyone wanna post your Top 5/10 favourite XY/XY&Z Episodes?

1. XYZ 28 -> The Winding Woods., The Dawn of Evolution!
2. XYZ 47 -> The Everlasting Zero! Until the Day We Meet Again!
3. XY 60 -> Aim to be Kalos Queen! Serena's Debut!
4. XYZ 42 -> The Megalith Advances! Kalos Defense Line! (Part 1 of TF Finale)
5. XYZ 41 -> Attack on Lumiose Gym! The Citroid Forever!
6. XYZ 37 -> The Finals! Ash vs. Alain (pt 1)
7. XY 92 -> Double Battle in Anistar Gym! Olympia's Futire Sight!
8. XYZ 43 -> The Final Battle for Kalos!
9. XYZ 40 -> Zygarde vs. Zygarde! The Breaking World!
10. XYZ 35 -> Decisive Rival Battle! Ash-Greninja vs. Mega Sceptile!

Honourable mentions to every gym battle episode not mentioned, everything else in the Ash-Greninja Arc (Ash vs. Alain round 2, Ash vs. Diantha, Ash vs. Sawyer loss), the first 2 XY episodes, the one other Team Flare arc episode I didn't mention, all Mega Evolution Specials, Korrina Arc, first 2 Summer Camp arc, XYZ 36 (meeting Mairin and Lysandre), AmourShipping episodes, anything with Sanpei in it, Team Rocket vs. Team Flare, every evolution episode, and some fillers (Team Rocket disguised as Ash and Co., Espurr, Mirror World)

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Ok, gonna put my opinions on this season up but since it's gonna take a while to write them, I'm leaving this here to edit them in later.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
My thoughts can be chalked up to this: things XY did good, it did really good. Things XY did bad, it did terribly.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
XY had some interesting ideas but it executed them very poorly, especially with Serena, her goal, and Amourshipping. I really felt like the writers dropped the ball on Serena; she had so much potential :/
I also found Ash to be overglorified and it felt like he was being worshipped by everyone like he could do no wrong; it was annoying. Also all the moments where Serena needed to be and got saved was sickening; it was almost like she couldn't take care of herself even though she was clearly capable of doing that.
Also I really don't like the way Clemont was handled at all; it felt like he was just there in the background most of the time for hs science is so amazing gag; I felt like he was handled worse than DP Brock imo, especially after the Lumoise City gym battle.
Also Bonnie got way too much focus and hardly developed at all. I also felt like her Squishy plotline should have been used for Serena instead. I really don't think she was necessary to be part of the group at all imo. Her gag was just basically a tip off of Brock's flirting gag as well.
The rival trio were bland rivals as well and I felt like they introduced Sawyer way too late and his rivalry with Ash felt way too one sided for me.
I liked Alan and Mairin and their role in the mega evolution specials along with Lysandre and the Team Flare plot in the main anime. However Alain shouldn't have entered the league as it felt like he was being forced in it imo.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Define the really good things it did.

Character designs, art style, Olympia's gym battle. You know me well enough to know that I'm not complimenting story any time soon.

BlueDragonfangirl

I love this series, only problem in my opinion was Alan, he seemed too perfect. Just entered the league to battle Ash and won? That would have been a perfect send off for Ash, he was soo close to winning the league, so close. Than we had that one arc um forget the villains names but man that was one of the darkest arcs of Pokemon but the way it ended was disappointing in my opinion, started off awesome but ended un yah.

Loved the back story on Ash and his relationship with Serena, in my opinion too cute. Never saw, did she kiss Ash on the lips or cheek? They didn't flipping show it on screen, boo!!

Frustrating thing about this series was all the misleading episode titles and fauls previews, they knew how popular Ash X Serena pairing was and that it drew in the ratings so they faked a lot of stuff.

Rajas

100% kiss on lips which was confirmed. The relationship episodes were bait at times but in each there were the little hints of something forming between them.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I actually was not too fond of this series to be honest (I don't dread it however lol). I actually liked the early episodes of XY (apart from the Pokevision episode and other episodes) where Clemont had focus along with the Viola gym battle being my favorite XY gym battle to date. I was OK with the pacing as well since it almost mirrored the games. After Clemont's gym battle, I started to not like the series much apart from the gym battles and a couple of fillers like the Rotom episode. I was not fond of Showcases and hardly liked any of the episodes that featured them even in XYZ (the showcase with Serena earning her final key being the worst of the lot imo). I mostly like the Team Flare stuff in XYZ and greatly enjoyed the five-episode arc but other than the Wulfric gym battle, that was pretty much it from what I liked about XYZ. Didn't help that I personally found some of the filler episodes in XYZ to be the absolute worst fillers either. I also didn't like any of the four characters in the series too. Like I said, I don't hate XY/Z but it's not my favorite series either and the parts I enjoyed, I really loved greatly!

Leonhart

Imagineer
XY (and XY&Z) handled game subplots well, but I noticed as I was watching a few Kalos episodes recently that some of the anime-exclusive content - such as TryPokaron, and the Calamanero episodes - weren't quite up to par. That, and the fact that Satoshi cruised through the region with relative ease until he met Alain seemed like obvious flaws from my viewpoint.

MockingJ

Banned
Ash had amazing charisma in X and Y in the sense that he was smart, funny and strong without too many drawbacks. This is why Kalos is my favorite saga of the show. :)