• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon - The Sinnoh League (10,11,12)

Scorbunnie

I don't blame Paul for treating his Pokemon too harshly. But if he were to despise and prey on the weak, then he should truly be punished. That's what I hate about characters like him. Hope he doesn't let the weak suffer.

Paul's mentality was to train the weak and make them stronger but his Chimchar couldn't handle the heat without freaking out and losing control of Blaze.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Scorbunnie said:
Paul's mentality was to train the weak and make them stronger but his Chimchar couldn't handle the heat without freaking out and losing control of Blaze.

While I understood what Shinji was attempting to do, it came off as cruel in the case of his Hikozaru since it received actual trauma because of Shinji's harsh training methods. And frankly, I sometimes wonder how Shinji would've handled a full meltdown on Hikozaru's part if Blaze had gotten out of control and endangered Shinji.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I wish that this series had a Battle Frontier arc post League, and maybe should have been a year shorter in the Sinnoh portion of the series

This would've been awesome and I wondered if Palmer appearing in Twinleaf town was meant to be a hint about the Sinnoh BF appearing before plans changed.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
This would've been awesome and I wondered if Palmer appearing in Twinleaf town was meant to be a hint about the Sinnoh BF appearing before plans changed.

I think it might've been a way to foreshadow its eventual introduction, but I suppose that the writers changed their minds the closer they got to the end of DP since at some point they must've known that Black and White were going to be released about a year after the Kurotsugu episode aired.

I wrote this last month after finishing DP
Diamond and Pearl Series Review

Having just finished watching DP, today I review the series. I loved this series and overall, it is my second favorite behind XY.

Theme Songs
DP’s theme songs, both Japanese and English, were average, the only great theme songs being High Touch (one of my favorites) and We Will Carry On. The rest of them are in the middle. Together is slightly worse than The Greatest-Everyday! Stand Up-Battle Cry beats out Diamond and Pearl Rap and We Will Be Heroes, the latter of which is the worst of the bunch. Despite being average, all of these songs are still very good.

Characters
I love Ash in DP. While it's not my favorite iteration of him, I love his strategies and relationship with his Pokémon, Dawn and Brock, and even Paul.

Dawn is one of my favorite Pokégirls ever, second behind Serena. Her and Ash had a nice dynamic and I liked her contests. She had a good development arc of getting over her string of losses. She is such a great coordinator and I hope to see her again. I also like how she has strategies, just like Ash. I love her relationship with her partner Pokémon, Piplup.

Brock was basically a third wheel for this series and his main role was to provide encouragement and tips to Ash and Dawn. His goal of becoming a Pokémon doctor came way too late (second to last episode), but I liked the foreshadowing of it eventually happening throughout the series with Happiny. When Brock had focus episodes, they were great, such as Leave It To Brocko!

Rivals

Paul is the single greatest rival in the Pokémon anime. That’s it. I’ll talk more about him later.

Barry is my favorite rival in the whole show. Even though Ash mostly beat him, he was hilarious with his catchphrase “I’m going to fine you!”

Nando is interesting as he was a rival to both Ash and Dawn. I love his calm attitude and how everything he does is with music. His Sunflora is great too. He also says “we’ll meet again” all the time.

Now onto Dawn’s rivals. Zoey is a great rival for Dawn, and I love their friendship. Despite Zoey always being one step ahead of Dawn, they still respected each other and had some great battles.

Kenny is fine. His romance for Dawn came out of nowhere, and it’s okay.

Ursula is a *****.

Overall, DP has the best rivals in the series, hands down. They gave all of Ash and Dawn’s rivals a personality.

Pokémon
I found myself loving all of the gang’s Pokémon, which surprised me. I will be going over all of them and my thoughts. I will tell you my favorites and least favorites.
Pikachu was surprisingly not given too much battle spotlight until the eighth badge, which was really weird as in every other series, Pikachu plays a much bigger role. Don’t get me wrong, I love that the battles are spread out between Ash’s whole team, but it still feels wrong that Pikachu didn’t do as much until the League.
It was close between Torterra and Buizel, but Torterra (the big tortoise) is my favorite out of all of Ash’s Sinnoh team. Tortoises are one of my favorite animals, so I usually choose my favorite Pokémon based on the designs that I like most. I love Torterra’s personality as a Turtwig, always trying to defend his home and being the peacemaker, similar to Bulbasaur. I also love his determined yet gentle personality, seemingly being the protector of the group. As a Turtwig, he was pretty powerful. Evolving halfway through the series, Grotle only got one win against Candice’s Sneasel and got less screen time, mainly because of Chimchar. As a Torterra, he got really unlucky, winning no competitive battles which is really sad. Torterra was faced against strong competition, and it’s even shown that Ash trusts Torterra and believes that he is one of his strongest Pokémon. My boy was done dirty, more on that later. Poor poor Torterra.
I love Buizel as well. The trade between Ash and Dawn switching Buizel and Aipom because of Aipom’s love for contests and Buizel’s love for battling was unique because it was the first trade of its kind. I love Buizel’s determined personality and how it will never give up during a battle. I also love how it admires Lucian. Buizel also came up clutch in battles, tying with Maylene’s Lucario, which is my favorite gym battle of this series.
Infernape is a badass. I absolutely adore its backstory of being abandoned by Paul and being picked up by Ash. However, it getting too much screen time and focus caused Ash’s other Pokémon to falter, and I don’t like that.
Staraptor is cool, but it’s way overrated. It wasn’t used that much and didn’t win too much.
Gible is cute and its Draco Meteor gag is funny, wish we got it more in action. It was caught too late.
Gliscor is a Pokémon that surprised me. I like its funny personality, and the fact that it was trained by the air master and as a result, became a better battler, but it’s still my least favorite on Ash’s team.
Piplup is my favorite out of all of Dawn’s Pokémon. He is so cute and hilarious.
Mamoswine is awesome as well. I liked how it disobeyed Dawn at first. Mamoswine did good in contests as well.
Buneary is okay. Her crush on Pikachu was cute.
I love Pachirisu, it’s such a troll.
I like Ambipom a lot. I don’t like her release. It’s cool that she loves ping pong, but why couldn’t we get a mention of her again?
Why did Dawn get a Cyndaquil? It just served as an Ambipom replacement and promoted Johto remakes. It was good in contests at least.
I love Togekiss and its sisterly relationship with the group, but she was caught way too late.
I love Brock’s Sudowoodo. I love its salute, its loyalty, and its relationship with Nuzleaf.
Croagunk is hilarious. Whenever it appears I’m laughing. It has cold, dead eyes.
I like Chansey’s ridiculous strength as a Happiny, she just evolved way too late.

Gym Battles
The gym battles of this series were really great, with my favorite being Ash vs Maylene. I loved how Ash used strategies.

Contests/Grand Festival
I liked how contests were used in Sinnoh. They were very entertaining to watch.
The Grand Festival was great as well, with the best battle being Zoey vs Nando, it going down to the wire. Zoey vs Dawn was a great final battle, but it felt like it was so one-sided at the beginning.

Team Galactic
I liked how there was buildup for Team Galactic throughout the series. The finale was good and I liked Hunter J’s involvement in it. (Speaking of Hunter J, she was a really interesting villain and made DP unique)

The Best

Ash and Paul’s rivalry
By far, the best thing about Diamond and Pearl is the rivalry between Ash and Paul, which is the best rivalry in the anime. Up until this point, we had never seen a rival challenge Ash like Paul did. Paul had a different method of training, only choosing strong Pokémon and releasing the weak ones. Paul’s ideologies really challenged Ash, and it’s a big reason for his character growth in this series: he wants to become stronger so that he can beat Paul. Paul and Ash’s methods and ideals really clash at the Hearthome Battle tournament, which results in Paul releasing Chimchar and it joining Ash’s team. After Paul destroys Ash in a full battle at Lake Acuity, it not only harms Ash’s Pokémon, but also crushes his spirit. While Ash was depressed for a period of time, his Pokémon and Dawn got him out of his funk. However, the best thing about the rivalry is Chimchar, which ties Ash and Paul’s stories together. Chimchar had the potential to be a strong Pokémon with its special Blaze ability, but after abusing it in training and believing it to be a weak Pokémon, Paul released it. Ash realized Chimchar’s desire to become stronger and asked it to join his team, which Chimchar gladly accepted. At first, Chimchar’s Blaze ability was out of control, but after it fully evolved into Infernape, it learned to control its Blaze ability and became one of Ash’s strongest Pokémon. The icing on the cake is the cumulative battle between Ash and Paul at the Sinnoh League. This is the greatest battle in the anime, no question. Ash finally beats the rival who had been haunting him for so long and in the end, it’s Infernape that gets justice, proving to Paul that it’s not weak as it beats half of his team, including his final Pokémon, Electivire.

Sinnoh League (Lily of the Valley Conference)
The Sinnoh League is hands down my favorite league. All of the battles were entertaining, even if Ash lost to a legendary spammer Tobias at the end, I didn’t want him to win the Sinnoh League anyways. It wouldn’t have made sense for Ash’s journey to end in this series. It was a shame that we missed out on one of Ash’s battles, but hey, we just missed out on one! It was cool that Ash brought back some of his old Pokémon. Ash vs Nando and Conway were great battles, but the real greatest battle was Ash vs Paul. Best. Battle. Ever. Even if Torterra didn’t get a win like he should have. I loved how each took notes and used a little bit of the other’s battling style, like Paul using Counter Shield. The final clash between Infernape and Electivire was epic. Then Ash faces Tobias, and this was the worst part of the league, no surprise. Sceptile comes up clutch, defeating A PREVIOUSLY UNDEFEATED DARKRAI WTF. Pikachu ties against a Latios, finally Pikachu gets a well-deserved performance. And then he loses to a level 5 Snivy a couple episodes later lol. I’m not really mad that Ash lost, he did well. But it’s really dirty that they had to make a team of legendaries in order for him to lose, showing how strong Ash’s Sinnoh team is. And then Kalos happened with OP Mega Charizard X TYPE ADVANTAGES DON’T EXIST LMAO THAT WAS BULLSHIT!!!!

Ash’s team diversity
I love Ash’s Sinnoh team. Though it’s not my favorite (Kalos team) it’s still probably Ash’s best balanced team. It feels like in this series, each Pokémon had some equal share of feats (except in the last season when Infernape took everyone’s screen time). All of Ash’s Pokémon were pretty strong, especially Pikachu, Infernape, and Torterra.

Best Episode: Battling a Thaw in Relations! (DP 188)
The epic conclusion of Ash vs Paul is the best episode in DP. Infernape vs Electivire is amazing.

The Worst

Unfair treatment to some of Ash’s Pokémon
Because Infernape took up much of the screen time of the last season of DP, some of Ash’s other Pokémon suffered as a result and didn’t get another chance to shine, most notably Torterra. Torterra got no wins after he evolved, which is bullshit considering how strong he is and how much Ash trusts in him. This makes fans believe that Torterra is a waste of space, which is clearly not the case. The writers really hate Torterra, putting him up against strong opponents and making him lose. Staraptor and Buizel also suffered, with the former not really having any memorable performances. Gible was caught too late for it to be affected, and Gliscor was left to train with the air master. At least Gliscor got to beat Paul’s Drapion. Pikachu is not exempt from this, in fact, he was barely used for gym battles and didn’t get hot until the last gym.

Team Rocket
Team Rocket might be at their worst here, as they appear in EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE. They also interrupt gym battles, always appearing in the middle of the battle. The only battle that they actually managed to interrupt was the first match between Ash and Volkner. Sure, Team Rocket had some good moments, like the release of Dustox and fleshing out their backstories more, but they did more harm than help.

Filler and the big gap between the seventh and eighth gyms
52 episodes. That’s how much time there was between Ash’s seventh and eighth gym badges. That was way too long, if you ask me. Sure, the filler was good, maybe even great, but having to wait a year is stupid. At least it’s not as bad as Johto.

Worst Episode: A Lean Mean Team Rocket Machine! (DP92)
Why? I don’t want to watch an episode about Team Rocket getting fat.

Finale (Memories are Made of Bliss!)
This finale was really well done, probably the second best finale in the show (after XY’s, because that one is untouchable for obvious reasons). The finale starts off with Piplup being sad because his friends Ash, Brock, and Pikachu are leaving, so he runs off. Togekiss and Pikachu eventually comfort him. I feel you Piplup. We get to see Torterra blast off Team Rocket and Wobbuffet one last time. Speaking of Wobbuffet, this is the last time we see him until the last Black and White episode. Ash imagines that he is battling Cynthia and we hear the Sinnoh League Victors theme. Ash and Dawn do the iconic High Touch and Ash tells Dawn to not worry, which was cute. Then comes the real tearjerker. Ash and Brock meet at a path that goes two separate ways, and they separate. SO SAD! Then Ash goes home and becomes stupid.
“You can do it, Pokémon Master Ash.”
“You can do it, Pokémon Doctor Brock.”

Seasons Ranked

1. Sinnoh League Victors (13) Some of the best battles and contests were here, at the final season of DP.
  2. Diamond and Pearl (10) Great start to an amazing saga with fun episodes.
  3. Galactic Battles (12) The final Team Galactic showdown and some good gym battles.
  4. Battle Dimension (11) Great gym battles but the filler was meh.

Conclusion
In conclusion, Diamond and Pearl truly is one of the greatest Pokémon series, having the best rivalry and some really awesome battles as well. Overall, I would probably give it an A grade. I had a blast watching this series.

Leonhart

Imagineer
cricketlaxwolvesbandy said:
Ash’s team diversity
I love Ash’s Sinnoh team. Though it’s not my favorite (Kalos team) it’s still probably Ash’s best balanced team. It feels like in this series, each Pokémon had some equal share of feats (except in the last season when Infernape took everyone’s screen time). All of Ash’s Pokémon were pretty strong, especially Pikachu, Infernape, and Torterra.

I have to disagree, both with the diversity comment and the comment about Satoshi's Dodaitose being strong, at least compared with Pikachu and Goukazaru. In terms of diversity, Satoshi's DP team was rather bleak considering that three of his Pokemon were part Ground-type at some point during the saga, and of course Mukuhawk and Glion were both part Flying-type as well. As for Dodaitose in particular, he didn't win any major battles in his last evolutionary stage, so I personally don't view him as strong, especially not compared to a powerhouse like Goukazaru.

I have to disagree, both with the diversity comment and the comment about Satoshi's Dodaitose being strong, at least compared with Pikachu and Goukazaru. In terms of diversity, Satoshi's DP team was rather bleak considering that three of his Pokemon were part Ground-type at some point during the saga, and of course Mukuhawk and Glion were both part Flying-type as well. As for Dodaitose in particular, he didn't win any major battles in his last evolutionary stage, so I personally don't view him as strong, especially not compared to a powerhouse like Goukazaru.
Infernape and Pikachu are better than Torterra