• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~Pokémon Theology~

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Haven't Groudon, Kyogre, Dialga and Palkia done this, really? They didn't nearly destroy their respective regions out of spite or hatred, they were just acting like any animal would that's been disturbed and roused from their sleep.

Yes, but at the same time, they don't REPRESENT destruction; they can most certainly cause it, but they aren't entities of destruction. Rather, they're entities of creation. What I mean is something that exists solely as a representation of natural destruction, an antithesis to Arceus who only exists as a way to balance Arceus's power, as Groudon does for Kyogre, Dialga does for Palkia, and Cresselia does for Darkrai... I'm not sure if there are more in that list that should be (I almost want to say 'as Lugia does for Ho-oh', but I don't think that's right). I just mean something that would represent the Omega to Arceus's Alpha, nothing more than a pokemon symbolic of the force of destruction that exists in nature to counteract Arceus's force of creation and act as a balance to the world of pokemon. There is, to my knowledge, not a single pokemon like that so far, and I know a lot about pokemon, so odds are that pokemon hasn't yet shown itself...

BCVM22

And again we come back to the fact that in a franchise like this, a Pokémon that exists solely to destroy flies in the face of the semi-utopian world and the purity of Pokémon - no Pokémon is truly evil - they've made an effort to create.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Well they could just make a pokemon that embodies destruction that isn't necessarily evil; it would probably be perceived as evil, and would probably have a pretty terrible backstory to go along with it, but it wouldn't be something like "AWAKEN THIS POKEMON AND THE WORLD WILL END". It could be a creature that knew that it had the potential to destroy everything, and so it willingly sealed itself away forever to keep its power intact. And of course some evil organization discovers this and wants its power for themselves to rule the world and whatnot, so they attempt to unseal it and fail (since it'd probably be an event pokemon due to it being an equivalent of Arceus and all), then go after whatever the boxart pokemon is, since it'd be the next-best thing. I'm just saying there are ways for them to make a pokemon that represents destruction and very well COULD destroy everything, but at the same time doesn't represent evil or the end of the pokemon world, as some other posters in this thread have said. However, at the same time, discussing it sort of seems to bring about me discussing potential future games, and as I don't want to be banned, I think I'll stop now.

I'm only saying this so that people can see that one cannot compare the theology of pokemon with Christianity due to the existence of morality in that religion; there is no morality as far as pokemon go, meaning that they aren't good or evil, but the characters in the stories of Christianity all represent either good or evil, and because of that, there can be no real parallel made between them. I apologize if this offends anyone, and I'm not trying to do that. I'm just trying to explain how making those comparisons doesn't make any sense.

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
I don't believe that any Pokémon, even Arceus, can be compared to God.

However, I do believe that after they die, trainers receive an afterlife. If they're good, they go to some kind of heaven (or at least paradise, since there is no God).

But if they're bad, they become NPCs. They are given 6 Magikarps (or something similar), and they then have to stand (or walk back and forth) in one place, somewhere out on a route, for all eternity, losing to any protagonist who happens to find them... :)

It's the only explanation for why trainers in the games act the way they do.

Lucario_Guy

Diety of Technology
But if they're bad, they become NPCs. They are given 6 Magikarps (or something similar), and they then have to stand (or walk back and forth) in one place, somewhere out on a route, for all eternity, losing to any protagonist who happens to find them... :)

lol.

I'm always in the mood for some comic relief after a debate, argument, or other serious matter. ^_^

zlxq3000

Master Collector
I don't believe that any Pokémon, even Arceus, can be compared to God.

However, I do believe that after they die, trainers receive an afterlife. If they're good, they go to some kind of heaven (or at least paradise, since there is no God).

It's the only explanation for why trainers in the games act the way they do.

I was confused about where you were going with this, even a little afraid.

However, I think you just won the discussion. Thread over, people; W.T. just beat everyone.

@ Mr.Postman: I didn't mean there wasn't morality in the storyline or whatever, just not in the pokemon themselves. Pokemon are more like animals, who really don't possess any real understanding of right and wrong. It's proven in the anime (as much as I hate to say that); in the episode where all the pokemon are separated from their trainers in Pokemon World (waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back), Ekans and Koffing do say that they don't know that what they're doing is wrong or bad; they just do whatever their trainers tell them to do because they're their masters. Meowth may say otherwise, but Meowth's a special case. I know anime≠games, but... it's like any sort of bloody animal fighting sport. The animals involved aren't necessarily evil or bad; they're just doing whatever the people who own them tell them to do because they don't know any better. That's what I mean by pokemon not having morals; not the games themselves, but the little monsters in the games.

Dattebayo

Banned
That theory kinda makes sense to me, sounds a bit like my religion but mixed with evolution and such. I'm guessing the first normal pokemon in the sixth day are the prehistoric ones.

Yes, but at the same time, they don't REPRESENT destruction; they can most certainly cause it, but they aren't entities of destruction. Rather, they're entities of creation. What I mean is something that exists solely as a representation of natural destruction, an antithesis to Arceus who only exists as a way to balance Arceus's power, as Groudon does for Kyogre, Dialga does for Palkia, and Cresselia does for Darkrai... I'm not sure if there are more in that list that should be (I almost want to say 'as Lugia does for Ho-oh', but I don't think that's right). I just mean something that would represent the Omega to Arceus's Alpha, nothing more than a pokemon symbolic of the force of destruction that exists in nature to counteract Arceus's force of creation and act as a balance to the world of pokemon. There is, to my knowledge, not a single pokemon like that so far, and I know a lot about pokemon, so odds are that pokemon hasn't yet shown itself...

Perhapse arceus will have a counterpart in the 5th GEN (ohhh yes i just said 5th GEN). No there is no proof but the francise will not just stop sorry to say but a new GEN is inevitable 100%.

cursor

Is there any refrences to actual practitions of religions similar to those that exist? I know that they've mentioned gods, but never the religion. Also, Christmas is not the kind of clue that is important, because it's just blatantly taken to fit the season. Nobody really cares anymore that it's a christian holiday anyways.

Also, it'd be interesting to see people building the pokemon universe upon anything else than christianity with it's Good/Evil and omnipotent god, the creator of all. Hindu is more interesting, With all the different gods, you could theorize that all pokemons are gods and have their own shared element to govern over.

BCVM22

Is there any refrences to actual practitions of religions similar to those that exist?

Not a one.

Hindu is more interesting, With all the different gods, you could theorize that all pokemons are gods and have their own shared element to govern over.

Pokémon takes most of its cues from Shintoism, which shares the concept of "many deities" but doesn't assign every single one of them the omnipotent/near-omnipotent power of a "god" as do other polytheistic beliefs.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Perhapse arceus will have a counterpart in the 5th GEN (ohhh yes i just said 5th GEN). No there is no proof but the francise will not just stop sorry to say but a new GEN is inevitable 100%.

Yes, that's a... simplified way of saying what I've been saying. And of course there's going to be a fifth generation of games; however, this isn't the place to be discussing the next set of games, which is why I dropped it.

col_serra

<------ is hot!
its a lot like greek mythology

kyogre: Poseidon
arceus: kronos

BCVM22

In the roles they play, maybe. Overall, the concept of "Legendaries" draws far more from Shintoism and other spiritual/animistic faiths than it does from Judeo-Christian or Greco-Roman concepts of "gods" or "deities".

col_serra

<------ is hot!
goods fight if they invade there territory in the myths also there are many lesser beasts like the minotaur is like heatran

Shadow Eeveelution

DracLord Dread
Chronus fits dialga better (Controller of time)
Gigas would be atlas
Arceus more like Zeus while Giratina is the hades

celibi88

robochu=win
Everyone knows that Bidoof is the only true god of the Pokemon Universe.

and in the beginning there was only bidoof

GalladeX

It's like Pokemon Quantum Theory, and your Stephen Hawking o_O
It looks pretty logical but I think the Lake Trio and Mew would have to work simultaneously. Without willpower and stuff, humans woulda died out on the first day..