• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon to be Added To SwSh

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Alright, let's see...

I can't really think of Pokemon I want to return right now. Aside from the rest of the starters; they're pretty iconic. But any Pokemon returning is always a good thing, regardless if I like them or not.

My thoughts on new Pokemon...

Kubfu and Urshifu literally remind me of Kung Fu Panda. Looks interesting, but I hope I can understand Urshifu's forms a bit better soon, since I'm rather confused at the moment (especially the Fighting/Water one, I'd love to know why it's Water...). Calyrex might have to grow on me a bit; looks a bit awkward. Especially the head, is that supposed to be a brain or a plant bulb? I get the feeling this might be the king of Galar the story mentioned, but I don't know for sure. I'm not sure what to think on the new Regi like Pokemon; too little known about them to make a full judgement.

My thoughts on the new regional variants:

Can't say I'm a fan of Galarian Slowpoke; it's not very interesting and I hope Slowbro and Slowking make up for it. As for the legendary birds; too little is know about them and I can't make up my mind right now. For all I know, they might not be regional variants at all, but only time will tell.

My thoughts on the new Gigantamax forms:

So I need to get this out of the way. I'm very glad to see Venusaur and Blastoise get G-Max forms since I think it's only fair they get them as well since they're just as iconic even if they're not as popular as Charizard. That said, Blastoise is my favourite of the two; the concept of a moving fortress is interesting. Venusaur's is eh for now, but it might grow on me eventually, I don't know.

I also need to get this out of the way. The Galar starters should have got G-Max from day one but better late than never and I'm glad all of them got one so there's no favourtism. Rillaboom's looks cool; looks like he's got the whole drumming kit now. Cinderace looks like he channeled his inner Raboot withe ears being down and looks really serious now. Inteleon's is my favourite by far, mostly because I find it extremely funny how it has a gun now and that's just asking for memes (Not that I care, I'm a sucker for memes and I'm not sorry).

The G-Max Urshifu forms I can't judge properly yet, as I can't see them clearly. Maybe when there's clearer images I can make a better judgement.

I'm sorry this is rather long; I had a lot to say about this new stuff and I wanted to share my thoughts.

Last edited:

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Here are my thoughts on the new pokemon:

Kubfu/Urshifu: These are alright, they don't seem very legendary to me. I believe the Single Strike Style will have really high attack, while the Rapid Strike Style will have really high speed. Fighting/Water is also an interesting type combo that really should have went to Grapploct tbh. Overall, these are okay.

Calyrex: This pokemon is also decent, though the typing and ability leave a lot to be desired (especially since it shares it with Celebi already). I am hoping it has some unique gimmicks up its sleeve to set it apart from Celebi and make it some what powerful.

Regi Electric: I love the all the Regis, and this one is no exception. I am hoping its stat spread will follow Regice/Regirock and look something like this: 80/50/50/100/100/200

Regi Dragon: Same thing as the above, I love it so much. I am hoping its stat spread will look like this: 80/200/50/100/50/100 or 80/150/75/150/75/50 (like Registeel).

Galar Birds: I love all three designs, and here is what I think their types will be: Ice/Psychic (Articuno), Electric/Dark (Zapdos), and Fire/Ghost (Moltres) or Electric/Fighting for Zapdos and Fire/Dark for Moltres. Either way, super cool!

Galar Slowpoke: Seems cool, not much really standing out so far.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Kubfu and Urshifu literally remind me of Kung Fu Panda. Looks interesting, but I hope I can understand Urshifu's forms a bit better soon, since I'm rather confused at the moment (especially the Fighting/Water one, I'd love to know why it's Water...).
Seems to just be due to its "fluid" fighting style, same reason the other form is part Dark type for its "brutal" fighting style.

<><><>

Regarding returning pokemon, given that VGC star Aegislash was the only pokemon to get stat changes this gen, I can't help but wonder if other heavily used VGC legendaries like Landorus Therian might also get stat nerfs (assuming Therian forms are even available).

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I just wish Lycanroc (and Rockruff for that matter) also had Ice-type regional variants based on Arctic wolves

ChavaWM

I'm so excited for Volcarona to be back! I have one from X that I carried over to Moon and then Ultra Moon and I would love to bring her to Shield!

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Sad to see Garchomp and Landorus come back, especially since Hidden Power isn't available.

Bring me back my ghost, GameFreak. The true Ghost, the original pure Ghost.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Sad to see Garchomp and Landorus come back, especially since Hidden Power isn't available.
Just bring Avalugg. As long as they don't have special coverage like Earth Power or Fire Blast, they can't really touch Avalugg. Hidden Power coverage usually isn't strong enough to kill anything anyway, but a big STAB Avalanche sure is. Avalugg also got buffed with Intimidate immunity on Own Tempo. Acid Armor Vaporeon is also quite nice as it can set up on physical variants of Landorus and Garchomp (or virtually any other physical attacker that doesn't have super effective STAB moves, I can set it up on Mega Metagross, Conkeldurr, etc), and then either go for a Scald burn while recovering with Leftovers and Aqua Ring, or Baton Pass the defence boosts and Aqua Ring to something else.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Fairy Queen said:
Calyrex: This pokemon is also decent, though the typing and ability leave a lot to be desired (especially since it shares it with Celebi already). I am hoping it has some unique gimmicks up its sleeve to set it apart from Celebi and make it some what powerful.

I personally think it looks very odd. I had to stare at it for a few minutes to figure out what exactly I was seeing on the main site, but it's by far my least favorite Legendary Pokemon from this generation. And after Mugendaina (Eternatus), that's saying something.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
My initial assumption was that we would only see 7-9 new Pokémon in a third version, but considering the current situation, it seems we are gonna get around 40-50 new Pokémon, not including Galarian Forms and Mythicals.

The fact that there is going to be more than 200 Pokémon catchable strongly implies that the new Pokémon count will be close to that in relation to the main game, around half of the 81 new Pokémon introduced this generation.

My guess is that we will see 20-25 new Pokémon in the first expansion and 20-25 in the second expansion. First batch will focus on common Mons and second batch will focus late-game mons and obviously Legendaries.

The bigger question would be how many Pokémon will be in the game by the end of generation. We can easily add 40 new Pokés for Galar and 30 more in the later games to get 151, but if there is another Expansion Pass for Galar that adds another 40, this generation may end up largest yet; superficially of course as most of the new Pokémon will be members of evolutionary lines, with some belonging to pre-existing ones. That is to say, even if we get 160+ new Pokémon by the end of the generation, our total amount of new fully-evolved Pokémon will be less than or around 80.

As for speculation for the new Pokémon:
*My guess is the third Regi will be Grass. Dragon Regi already looks like a Fire-type, and since Registeel both resists Rock and Ice, it is reasonable Regi-Dragon will resist another type besides Electric.
*Calyrex's design suggests it would have a Queen, but its lore suggests it will have similar stats to Eternatus. If that's the case, it might have a Bishop and a Rook, since we already have the two Knights(you know, the Za duo).

SueChef

Old dog, new tricks!
Anyone want to speculate on the names of the new Regi? Based on design I'm assuming Electric and Dragon, so perhaps Regibolt and Regigon?

Orphalesion

My initial assumption was that we would only see 7-9 new Pokémon in a third version, but considering the current situation, it seems we are gonna get around 40-50 new Pokémon, not including Galarian Forms and Mythicals.

The fact that there is going to be more than 200 Pokémon catchable strongly implies that the new Pokémon count will be close to that in relation to the main game, around half of the 81 new Pokémon introduced this generation.

My guess is that we will see 20-25 new Pokémon in the first expansion and 20-25 in the second expansion. First batch will focus on common Mons and second batch will focus late-game mons and obviously Legendaries.

The bigger question would be how many Pokémon will be in the game by the end of generation. We can easily add 40 new Pokés for Galar and 30 more in the later games to get 151, but if there is another Expansion Pass for Galar that adds another 40, this generation may end up largest yet; superficially of course as most of the new Pokémon will be members of evolutionary lines, with some belonging to pre-existing ones. That is to say, even if we get 160+ new Pokémon by the end of the generation, our total amount of new fully-evolved Pokémon will be less than or around 80.

Doesn't that seem a little bit over-optimistic considering how much they have talked about how resource intensive it supposedly is to create models/animations?
Personally I don't expect any more new Pokemon than the ones they have already showcased in the trialer.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Lycanroc is back. That’s all I need!!

But since they’re giving more as well, I would really like all of the starters to return, though I’m doubtful they all will

Pokemon Power

I think Galarian Slowpoke looks cute. That yellow mark makes it look like it's been thinking a lot, more so than regular Slowpoke.
In terms of which Pokemon I think should be added, I'm hoping for the Kalos starters and the Jigglypuff evolutionary family. Jigglypuff and Greninja were in Smash Ultimate, so I think it would be nice to throw them in with the others.

Speared

I'm hoping we get Heracross and Scyther/Scizor. Seeing Amarua, I'd like to see the other fossils show up. Also I hope you're able to find the other halves of the Galar fossils in the expansions. Oh and Gligar/Gliscor.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Thus we have the real reason all those Pokémon were cut in the first place. How is it that I predicted this? Oh yeah, because companies have done this before, many many times.

Doesn't that seem a little bit over-optimistic considering how much they have talked about how resource intensive it supposedly is to create models/animations?
Personally I don't expect any more new Pokemon than the ones they have already showcased in the trialer.

You do realize that the 'resource intensive' thing was a red herring this whole time, right? That was an excuse for them to be able to make the expansion pass. They could've done this the whole time.

The new Pokémon do look nice though, but I fear this kind of thing is now going to become the norm for Pokémon.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The Galar starters should have got G-Max from day one but better late than never and I'm glad all of them got one so there's no favourtism

Yup, it is better late than never, compared to Kalos starters never getting Megas, and the only freaking Kalos Pokémon to get a Mega being a freaking mythical!!!

Anyone want to speculate on the names of the new Regi? Based on design I'm assuming Electric and Dragon, so perhaps Regibolt and Regigon?

Well, the three that exist have names that are literally just copies of the name of the type "steel", "ice", and "fire", so I see no reason why that pattern wouldn't continue with something like Regidragon and Regilectric.

Thus we have the real reason all those Pokémon were cut in the first place. How is it that I predicted this? Oh yeah, because companies have done this before, many many times.

You do realize that the 'resource intensive' thing was a red herring this whole time, right? That was an excuse for them to be able to make the expansion pass. They could've done this the whole time.

They couldn't have done it on time for November 2019, a deadline TPC forced on GF.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
They couldn't have done it on time for November 2019, a deadline TPC forced on GF.

The fact that this expansion is coming out so quickly suggests otherwise. As I've said before, companies have done this many times before, and they will likely continue to do this. This will probably become the new norm for Pokémon.

I'm not saying I hate them for doing this or anything. I mean, I can take solace in the fact that I only own one version of the game, so I only need to buy the expansion once. But I was kind of expecting something like this.

It is fun to see the reactions to this on this site though and compare it to everywhere else, because the contrast is night and day.

Last edited: