• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Trainer Anime Canon Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Dog

Pokémon Trainer Anime Canon Tier List

I've noticed that when it comes other animes and works, we usually see a tier list on the strength various characters, where there exists debate on who would defeat who, how far are the strength between two characters, and who is among the strongest and weakest characters in the series. I've seen this with shows like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto, as well as Marvel and DC comics.

I'd like to see if we can make a similar tier list for Pokémon, and see if we can make a good tier list that accurately reflects the strength of the characters and their Pokémon after some good discussion and debate. Who is the strongest trainer in the anime? Who is the weakest? Where would characters like Ash, Gary, Ritchie, May, Paul, Bianca, and Trevor lie? What about Gym Leaders like Brock, Misty, Jasmine, Norman, Clemont, and Korrina? How about villains like Giovanni or Hunter J? How distant is the strength between, say, BW Ash and XY Ash? Is Cynthia, Tobias, Alain, or someone else at the top? Could the TRio be faltering at the bottom? How would a battle between Serena and a one-shot character like Giselle work out? Where does A.J., a one-shot trainer who claims to have won 100 battles in a row, fit in all this?

Since I haven't watched all of the anime, I can only know so much and thus I haven't attempted to make a tier list on my own. I would suggest however that we divide them in classes using letters like S, A, B, C, etc. which may or may not be further divided into classes like A+, A, and A-.

Here are some other few guidelines and factors:

-Assume a neutral field, without obstacles or advantages.

-Whenever possible, go for 6v6 matches; otherwise go with the maximum number possible.

-You can differentiate trainers on both the time they were in as well as their hypothetical strongest, consisting of their best Pokémon. For example, you can place both Kanto Gary and Johto Gary in the tier list.

-Writing absolutely every character down is not necessary (this tier list would simply be too much if we tried that), but it would be nice if we wrote those whom we've seen a significant amount of battling into the list.

-I am unsure if the movies should be factored in; if we do so, I would prefer to make anyone affected by them separate from how they would fare without the movies.

-Preferably I would not add Red from Pokémon Origins into the list, but maybe you can change my mind here.

-Keep in mind about type advantages and disadvantages. If you think, for instance, that Valerie should be placed in a higher tier than Lance, do so because you believe she is legitimately a stronger trainer and would fare better than him against other trainers, not simply because she would defeat him directly thanks to the Fairy-type vs Dragon-type situation.

-The luck factor does exist, so put that into play as well.

If anyone else has questions or suggestions, please let me know. I hope to have a good enjoyable discussion as we make this tier list, so let's get started!

Izanagi777

Well, it's kinda interesting to make the good old tier list (like most battle shonen stuff), mind you i'll only use the battle oriented trainers (which mean i'll left out any coordinator) and given my memory about Orange Island and Battle Frontier are pretty vague, i'll left them out as well with the exception of Drake and Brandon.. Here we go..

*) Top Tier :

S+ :
- Cynthia (The Champion of Sinnoh, probably the strongest Champion in the series anime feat wise, Has a Garchomp that capable to battling on par with Dialga and Palkia, obliterate Paul's team without any notable difficulty)
- Steven (The Champion of Hoenn, has a powerfull Mega Metagross.. basically overwhelm Alan in their battle even though said battle left unfinished)

S :
- Diantha (The Champion of Kalos, has a strong Mega Gardevoir however get some difficulty when she face Ash-Greninja)
- Alder (The Champion of Unova, has a powefull Bouffalant that capable to defeated Trip's Serperior without any notable difficulty)

S- :
- Lance (The Champion of Johto Region, has a powerful Dragonite)

*) High Tier :

A+ :
- Caitlin (Probably the strongest Elite 4 anime feat wise, given that she capable to battling on the same level with Cynthia's Garchomp)
- Siebold (Kalos Elite 4, slightly above Alan in term of pokemon given his Mega Blastoise actually defeated Alan's Mega Charizard X back in ME special)
- Alan (The champion of Kalos League.. Have a Mega Charizard X which is extremely powerful and capable to even beat one member of Elite 4)
- Malva (Kalos Elite 4, has a houndoom that capable to mega evolve and on par with Alan)
- XY Kalos Ash (Ash strongest team to date, Have an Ash-Greninja which is an equivalent of Mega Evolution and other high level pokemon such as Goodra, Noivern, Talonflame, and Hawlucha, push Alan to his limit)
- Tobias (Probably one of the strongest contender in Pokemon League, have a Darkrai and Latios, but the fact that D/P Ash capable to take down 2 of his pokemon means he still nowhere near Champion level)
- Brandon (Has Golem Trio which consist Regice, Regirock, and Registeel.. Basically Ash beat him because he didn't use all of his 3 golems at the same time, and even then he still managed to defeated AG Ash twice)
- Giovanni (Has a mewtwo, single handly defeated OS Kanto Gary)

A :
- Flint (Sinnoh Elite 4, in the end of series he challange Cynthia and basically doing the best compare to other E4)
- Lucian (Sinnoh Elite 4)
- Aaron (Sinnoh Elite 4)
- Bertha (Sinnoh Elite 4)
- Paul (A calculated and strong experienced trainer, has a lot of impressive tactic/strategy in his battling style.. Has an impressive line up such as Torterra, Electivire, Magmortar, Drapion,etc)
- D/P Sinnoh Ash (Basically one of the strongest Ash team, has an impressive Infernape and has a lot of hard hitter in Staraptor, Gliscor, and Torterra)
- Sawyer (Has a Mega Sceptile, a smart and strong trainer while being a novice)

A- :
- Pokemon Hunter J (Her salamence was insanely strong)
- Agatha (Elite 4 of Kanto region, her Gengar was pretty impressive)
- Hoeen E4 Drake (Elite 4 of Hoenn region)
- Lorelei (Elite 4 of Kanto region)
- Bruno (Elite 4 of Kanto region)
- Volkner (Arguably the strongest Gym Leader incounting Giovanni to date, he's the rival of Elite 4 Flint and bored because he always win no matter what happen)

*) Mid Tier

B+ :
- Harrison (I put him a bit above OS Johto Ash given that his Blaziken is slightly better than Charizard)
- OS Johto Ash (Pretty much one of the best Ash's team to date with Charizard and Snorlax become the heavy hitter)
- OS Johto Gary (Have a Blastoise and made it to round of 16 in Silver Conference)
- Orange Island Drake (Own a Dragonite that capable to defeat most Ash's party single handly)
- Barry (I put him here basically because his Empoleon was pretty impressive)
- Clair (One of the best Gym Leader which capable to push even Ash's Charizard to the limit)
- Wulfric (One of yet another strongest Gym Leader with Hail and Ice Body combination which can be tricky)
- Korrina (One of the strongest Gym Leader to date whose owned a Mega Lucario)
- Tyson (His party is slightly better than AG Ash, not to mention that he own a Metagross)
- AG Hoenn Ash (Well, with Grovyle and Glalie as 2 of his ace, AG Ash is pretty much above most of Gym Leaders from all region to date)
- Juan (One of the strongest Gym Leader in the series and the combination of his pokemon was great)
- Virgil (Pretty much Featless aside from the fact that he won the Unova League)
- Trevor (I put him a bit above Tierno because he own his Mega Charizard Y)
- Tierno (Can give some level of challange to Sawyer)
- Cameron (His Hydreigon and Lucario were pretty impressive IMO)
- B/W Unova Ash (Not much can i say, his pokemon get reset and his party in B/W is pretty average although Krookodile is cool)

B:
- Conway (A Calculated Trainer, the Trick Room Tactic is still one of the more impressive ones that i've seen to date)
- OS Kanto Ash w/Charizard (With Charizard, Ash is surely pretty strong back in Kanto and could at least made it to quarter final)
- OS Kanto Gary (Has Nidoking and Arcanine, we don't really see much of him though)
- Morrison (Not really have a lot to say, pretty much a bit above average rival IMO)
- Trip (A bit better version of Stephen and his Serperior is tough)
- Stephen (The least impressive Ash's rival although being in the league means he has defeated 8 Gym Leaders)
- Blaine (His party and Magmar in particular was pretty impressive, definitely one of the stronger Gym Leader to date)
- Olympia
- Clemont (His Luxray capable to battle on the same level with Ash's Goodra)
- Falkner (While being the first gym leader in Johto, he own a Pidgeot that capable to fight toe to toe with Ash's Charizard)
- Roxie (He almost beat all of Ash's 6 pokemon with only 3 pokemon, pretty impressive feat IMO)
- Norman (His Slaking is pretty Impressive IMO, and the strategy to use the slow Slakoth to the fast Vigoroth is great)
- Candice
- Brycen
- Valerie
- Ritchie (He's pretty much wasn't that impressive, if Ash's Charizard listen to his command, he was pretty much will lost in the Indigo League)
- Tate&Liza
- Skyla
- Winona
- Byron
- Ramos
- Pryce
- Jasmine
- Fantina
- Morty

B- :
- Clay
- Roark (Have a Ramphardos that capable to do Head Smash is pretty terrifying IMO)
- Whitney (His Miltank sweep the whole Ash team in their first encounter)
- Sabrina (Who doesn't remember her terrifying Kadabra)
- Grant (Tyrunt that capable to use Draco Meteor, enough said)
- Elesa
- Iris (Pretty much her Dragonite and Excadrill are the ones which made me put her in this level)
- OS Kanto Ash w/o Charizard (Tbh Ash without his Charizard back in Kanto would be helpless against most Gym Leader in other generation)
- Flannery
- Crasher Wake
- Viola (While her pokemon weren't really impressive, her battle startegy however was pretty impressive IMO)
- Roxanne
- Gardenia

*) Low Tier

C+ :
- Bianca (The only reason i put her here is because i thought she is the weakest out of all Ash's rival, she got an Emboar though, so she should be the strongest compare to the other trainer in this tier)

C :
- Koga (I thought he's one of the better gym leader in Kanto, but with only Venomoth and Golbat i can't really put him above)
- Chuck (Pretty much similar with Koga only this time with Poliwrath and Machoke)
- Burgh
- Lenora
- Bugsy
- Lt.Surge (Has a good old Raichu but sadly it's the only pokemon that he has so i can't give him any higher)
- Maylene (I thought that while she owned a Lucario, she's still the weakest Gym Leader in Sinnoh)
- Brawly

C- :
- Erika
- Wattson (Probably the weakest non-companion Gym leader that ever existed in anime)
- Misty (Has Gyarados and Politoed which made me put her a bit higher than other companion)
- Brock (He has Onix so that's why i put him a bit higher than Cilan)
- Cilan (Probably one of the weakest companion that Ash has ever had, his Crustle was decent though)

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Top Tier

S+
  • Cynthia
  • Diantha
  • Steven

S
  • Alder

S-
  • Lance

High Tier

A+
  • Flint
  • Agitha
  • Aaron
  • Drake
  • Caitlyn
  • Bertha
  • Lucian

A
  • Tobias
  • Alain(with keystone)

A-
  • Paul

Mid Tier

B+
  • Alain(without keystone)
  • XY Ash
  • DP Ash
  • Virgil

B
  • Tyson
  • Conway
  • Sawyer
  • Trip
  • Cameron
  • AG Ash
  • Barry
  • Katie
  • Harrison
  • Nando
  • Morrison

B-
  • Stephan
  • Tierno
  • Trevor
  • BW Ash

Low Tier

C+
  • OS Ash
  • Ritchie
  • Bianca
  • Macy
  • Vincent

Last edited:

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Eh not wanting to soudn rude but this lists are kind of a stretch when you realize that the anime hcarcter's power level varies with the pot, in all fairness we should make the tiers random LOL

snorlax512

Top Tier

S+
  • Cynthia
  • Diantha
  • Steven

S
  • Alder

S-
  • Lance

High Tier

A+
  • Flint
  • Agitha
  • Aaron
  • Drake
  • Caitlyn
  • Bertha
  • Lucian

A
  • Tobias
  • Alain(with keystone)

A-
  • Paul

Mid Tier

B+
  • XY Ash
  • DP Ash
  • Virgil

B
  • Tyson
  • Conway
  • Sawyer
  • Trip
  • Cameron
  • AG Ash
  • Barry
  • Katie
  • Nando
  • Morrison

B-
  • Harrison
  • Stephan
  • Tierno
  • Trevor
  • BW Ash

Low Tier

C+
  • OS Ash
  • Ritchie
  • Bianca
  • Macy
  • Vincent
Eh no offence but how is Alain two tiers above XY Ash when their battle ended in a standoff.

Ash-Pikachu

Top Tier

S+
  • Cynthia
  • Diantha
  • Steven

S
  • Alder

S-
  • Lance

High Tier

A+
  • Flint
  • Agitha
  • Aaron
  • Drake
  • Caitlyn
  • Bertha
  • Lucian

A
  • Tobias
  • Alain(with keystone)

A-
  • Paul

Mid Tier

B+
  • XY Ash
  • DP Ash
  • Virgil

B
  • Tyson
  • Conway
  • Sawyer
  • Trip
  • Cameron
  • AG Ash
  • Barry
  • Katie
  • Harrison
  • Nando
  • Morrison

B-
  • Stephan
  • Tierno
  • Trevor
  • BW Ash

Low Tier

C+
  • OS Ash
  • Ritchie
  • Bianca
  • Macy
  • Vincent

Essentially what the other guy said, how is Alain 2 Tiers above Ash, how is Paul 1 Tier above XY Ash, and how is Tyson above Sawyer?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Giovanni is clearly somewhere in A tier, if his Persian is any indication.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Essentially what the other guy said, how is Alain 2 Tiers above Ash, how is Paul 1 Tier above XY Ash

Paul is still the better battler,better at capturing powerful pokemon,puts equal amount of focus on most of his pokemon,rotates his pokemon,plans ahead for battles,and doesn't reset in a new region.

Ash obtaining Ash-Greninja doesn't mean jack squat to me.

Ash-Pikachu

I ranked them on skill and power,just because Sawyer has ME doesn't necessarily make him a better trainer than Tyson or Conway.

Sawyer trumps Tyson and Conway in power while Sawyer dazzled Diantha with his analytical skill. He was clearly the more skilled trainer and quite frankly, I fail to see how Tyson's pokemon compare to an OP Aegislash and Mega Sceptile to boot. It certainly doesn't benefit Tyson at all when he's inhibited by previous outdated standards which applies to all of Tyson's pokemon and his strategies as well.

Paul is still the better battler,better at capturing powerful pokemon,puts equal amount of focus on most of his pokemon,rotates his pokemon,plans ahead for battles,and doesn't reset in a new region.

Well dang, makes me wonder how Alain is better than Paul and how Alain shot up 2 Tiers with a keystone.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Sawyer trumps Tyson and Conway in power while Sawyer dazzled Diantha with his analytical skill. He was clearly the more skilled trainer and quite frankly, I fail to see how Tyson's pokemon compare to an OP Aegislash and Mega Sceptile to boot. It certainly doesn't benefit Tyson at all when he's inhibited by previous outdated standards which applies to all of Tyson's pokemon and his strategies as well.

Tyson's team as a whole is stronger and more balanced while Sawyer's team relies too much on his Mega Sceptile for power,the rest of his team aren't all that impressive,Conway gave Ash a run for his money and almost beat him in a 3 on 3 match at the Sinnoh League,he's really good in defensive moves,if Conway and Sawyer faced each other I could see Conway picking apart Sawyer's team with his defensive strategies,the only problem would be his Sceptile,who isn't even in the same league as Ash-Greninja but I could see it taking out a good number of Conway's pokemon so it could go either way.

Well dang, makes me wonder how Alain is better than Paul and how Alain shot up 2 Tiers with a keystone.

Alain w/ keystone is a tier higher than Paul because he put a lot of focus into that Charizard a lot more than any of Ash's aces,without the keystone his Charizard is around the same level as Paul's Torterra and Ash's Charizard,the rest of Alain's team isn't all that impressive outside of a Bisharp,Paul is a better battler,better at capturing powerful pokemon,rotates his pokemon,puts equal amount of focus on most of them,and plans ahead for battles.

Izanagi777

Well, to be fair you should give more credit toward Ash-Greninja, given that it's capable to battling on par with Diantha's Mega Gardevoir, whereas Paul most powerful pokemon, Torterra, wasn't capable to perform the same feats against Cynthia's Garchomp..

Sawyer trumps Tyson and Conway in power while Sawyer dazzled Diantha with his analytical skill. He was clearly the more skilled trainer and quite frankly, I fail to see how Tyson's pokemon compare to an OP Aegislash and Mega Sceptile to boot. It certainly doesn't benefit Tyson at all when he's inhibited by previous outdated standards which applies to all of Tyson's pokemon and his strategies as well
While i agree with you, PokemonBattleFanatic- did has a point though.. I mean while Sawyer is no doubt a great trainer, but tactical wise he would lost to any other Sinnoh trainers sans Barry.. The same could be also applied to Tyson since he's far more experienced than Sawyer.. In the battle however, just like you said i can see Sawyer beating both of them, mainly because his Mega Sceptile and Aegislash.. Don't forget that he also has some power house such as Salamence and Clawitzer..

Last edited by a moderator:

snorlax512

Skill: Conway > Sawyer > Katie > Tyson > Nando > Barry
Power: Sawyer >>> Tyson > Barry > Conway = Katie = Nando
Overall: Sawyer > Tyson > Conway > Katie > Barry > Nando

Genaller

Silver Soul
Frankly speaking Tyson really isn't that strong. Ash's peak AG team would beat him 3-6/4-6. Sceptile is leagues above Grovyle (that was tier 3). Torkoal didn't have his Registeel feat making him tier 5. Corphish doesn't have its frontier brain feats making it tier 4. Pikachu at the end of BF was significantly stronger than his HL self (and his SL and KL versions were even above that). Sawyer pushed Ash's Kalos team (that's on par with the peak AG team) down to the last Pokémon meaning that Sawyer is definitely above Tyson. If we ranked the league rivals, it would give:

Tobias > Ash (GPICSS) > Alain > Ash (with best Kanto/OI team) > Paul (strongest team) > Ash (with best Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos teams) > Sawyer > Tyson = Virgil >= Harrison > Gary > Katie > Ash (with best Johto team) >= Ash (with best Unova team) > Astrid > Nando = Conway = Stephan = Tierno > Trip > Barry > Cameron > Morrison > Trevor > Bianca > Jackson > Clark > Titus > Macy > Dominick > Salvador > Gilbert

I've not included anyone from the IL. I've also only included rivals that actually battled Ash. Had BW Ash used Krookodile, Leavanny and Palpitoad against Cameron instead of Boldore, Oshaswatt and Unfezzant, he would have definitely beaten Cameron. Cameron also only won because of Deus Ex Evolution working against Ash in that case (Sinvy would have beaten Riolu). Morrison's Steelix and Gliscor got buffed in order to make the match competitive despite it turning into a 6 vs 4 since Morrison needlessly lost his first 2 Pokémon. Ash also got nerfed (keeping Pikachu in against a ground type when that's what cost him against Katie. Torkoal loosing to a Steelix again despite it having a subplot of overcoming the Steelix species. A Swellow that KOed 2 Pokémon of both Katie and Tyson that were better trainers than Morrison could only tie with Gligar).

EDIT: I've also added how various teams of Ash would stack up

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
And MAL what would your reasoning be? Tyson had a very close battle with Ash's HL Hoenn team that is significantly weaker than Ash's peak Hoenn team which is on par with Ash's Kalos team which Sawyer pushed to the last Pokémon. Also Sawyer's MS could direct Frenzy Plant which even Paul's Torterra couldn't do (the writers could have easily shown Torterra being able to direct this move as well given that they showed Torterra directing Stone Edge). Sure if we optimized switching for Ash, he'd have beaten Sawyer 3-6, but the same could be said for Tyson against Ash's peak AG team

Last edited:

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Knowing that Tobias has a full team, and the last D/P opening hinted at Entei?

Yeah, I'd put him up there with Champions that aren't named Diantha.

but the fact that D/P Ash capable to take down 2 of his pokemon means he still nowhere near Champion level)

That's 6v2 with overwhelming battle motivation coming from both Sceptile and Pikachu. I'd be surprised if that Ash couldn't take one or two Cynthia's mons too (not Garchomp obviously)

Last edited:

snorlax512

Sawyer would cream Tyson.
His Mega-Sceptile could very well sweep 4 of Tyson's Pokemon. It two shotted Tierno's Blastoise, straight up overpowered his Raichu's focus blast and one shotted him, one shotted Pikachu as well. His frenzy plant is so strong I really can't see how any of Tyson's Pokemon can deal with it. Only AG had enough speed + double team, coupled with the perfect counter move (cut xD) to avoid getting absolutely slaughtered.

Sawyer is also tactically superior to Tyson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.