• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon VGC 2016 Ruleset Change

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
Pokémon VGC 2016 Ruleset Change

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/the-2016-video-game-championship-format-has-been-announced/

http://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/vgc-2016-champion-series-preview/

-All battles will be Double Battles played in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

-Time limits for battles will vary by event. At major events (Regional Championships and above), battles will have a 15-minute time limit, 45-second move timer, and a 90-second Team Preview.

-Pokémon brought in via Poké Transporter will not be permitted (the blue pentagon is required).

-All discovered Pokémon will be allowed except the following Mythical Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, and Hoopa.

-Teams may have no more than two of the following Pokémon: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.

-All items will be allowed except Soul Dew. Each Pokémon must hold a different item.

Felt this warranted it's own thread.

Driveby shitposts will get deleted.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
This is good. This is the one format they could do to make Kangaskhan's usage tank so people won't be able to complain about it being overcentralizing anymore!

But actually I'm very excited to play this format, being able to use all these broken legendaries is actually the best thing and I love it.

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
This is good. This is the one format they could do to make Kangaskhan's usage tank so people won't be able to complain about it being overcentralizing anymore!

But actually I'm very excited to play this format, being able to use all these broken legendaries is actually the best thing and I love it.

Agreed wholeheartedly :)

I think Kyogre will make people think twice before selecting Lando T for their teams.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Wow, I never knew Dialga is able to do Trick Room, thats so weird and cool at the same time ! I can't wait to see someone use it in VGC16.

My opinion on the overall format is a nice change of pace, but I really need to get used to the fact that legends can be used since I just found them overpowered
and game breaking.. Hate to see people online taking part of multis battles totally abuse this freedom with the legends tho.

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Whelp, that's... interesting. I hope we don't have a problem with Rayquaza making it too centralising - after all, while I don't follow the battle sim scene Rayquaza did kinda get banned from Ubers...

Interesting also that only ORAS games can be used (assuming Z can too when that releases) - I thought that XY was allowed last year?

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
Whelp, that's... interesting. I hope we don't have a problem with Rayquaza making it too centralising - after all, while I don't follow the battle sim scene Rayquaza did kinda get banned from Ubers...

Interesting also that only ORAS games can be used (assuming Z can too when that releases) - I thought that XY was allowed last year?

Well the Primal forms - which rightly so - are going to be very popular. Since no patch was released for XY, it's ORAS only i'm afraid.
If a new game is realeased then we can only speculate on compatibility.
But I don't think that such a discussion on compatibility is really for this thread.

Regarding Rayquaza, weather war teams (so to speak) will need to find ways to deal with it.

Personally I think it's good that it exists. As it stops the two primals from completely dominating everything and allows perhaps some of the other "ubers" some form of leeway. If you get my drift.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
I love how 3 of the analyses listed "not able to do much to P-Don" as a weakness. They know how good it is.

This meta is basically going to be P-Don, Mega Ray, and Xerneas spam, though there's going to be more variety than CHALK because you can't have all 3 at once. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
Primal Groudon is so powerful in this format right now, especially in TR with Gravity Cresselia.

Yveltal is an underrated defensive threat at the moment, being able to disrupt so many Pokemon while taking hits and healing up with Roost. Foul Play has a 25% chance to OHKO Adamant M-Ray.

All in all, this shall be a fun format and I'm looking forward to all that comes up.

EditL M-Rayquaza actually sucks with its lackluster bulk and the fact that it takes up the mega slot and one of the restricted legends slots.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Pros: Mega Rayquaza is legal

Cons: Mega Rayquaza is legal

Seems like this meta will be even worse than the current, definitely not excited to see dumb **** like Zygarde or Cloud Nine forced to be run on every team to counter Xerneas/Yveltal and Rayquaza/P-Don respectively (assuming that **** works).

just rename it to doubles ag

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Zygarde still gets screwed by Xerneas, has no Dragon STAB (Outrage and D-Tail both suck in Doubles), and isn't exactly strong with a Base Attack of 100.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Zygarde still gets screwed by Xerneas, has no Dragon STAB (Outrage and D-Tail both suck in Doubles), and isn't exactly strong with a Base Attack of 100.

My idea was to have Zygarde's teammate beat Xerneas with the buff. Same goes for Cloud 9, Life Orb Altaria/Lickilicky deals no damage, and I can't think of any others out of the blue.

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
There is Golduck which does Cloud Nine but honestly, it is extremely bad and should only be used if you want to lose.
(Except for that one Nationals it won.)

If Zygarde 100% form gets released between now and Worlds, better hope it gets D-Claw otherwise Zygarde will never be used (to success) in VGC'16.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
EditL M-Rayquaza actually sucks with its lackluster bulk and the fact that it takes up the mega slot and one of the restricted legends slots.

When you're the single best Pokemon in the game, it's totally okay to take up a Mega slot and restricted legends slot at once. Especially because it's the most viable Mega in the game to use on a Double Mega team so it's not completely restricting. I actually plan to experiment with Mega Ray + Gengar/Kangaskhan at some point, probably the former since Gengar screws over Xerneas + Kangaskhan leads.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
When you're the single best Pokemon in the game, it's totally okay to take up a Mega slot and restricted legends slot at once. Especially because it's the most viable Mega in the game to use on a Double Mega team so it's not completely restricting. I actually plan to experiment with Mega Ray + Gengar/Kangaskhan at some point, probably the former since Gengar screws over Xerneas + Kangaskhan leads.

Non Mega Kanghaskan or will you run double megas?

This meta is also probably gonna become bw weather wars now that primals and mega ray are allowed. Basically whoever can have weather up the most will have an advantage. Also pdon and mega ray are allowed in the same team and theylle probably be standard, i can see them being a key part of the CHALK of 2016

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Cool. Legendaries are finally allowed. I predict that Mega Rayquaza would dominate the competition particularly next year's VGC because Delta Stream overrides Primordial Sea and Desolate Land and kinda overrides weather wars because weather other than Delta Stream can't be set up in Delta Stream conditions. And considering how broken it is because an item isn't required for it to Mega Evolve.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Cool. Legendaries are finally allowed. I predict that Mega Rayquaza would dominate the competition particularly next year's VGC because Delta Stream overrides Primordial Sea and Desolate Land and kinda overrides weather wars because weather other than Delta Stream can't be set up in Delta Stream conditions. And considering how broken it is because an item isn't required for it to Mega Evolve.
Delta Stream can be overridden by Desolate Land and Primordial Sea.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Non Mega Kanghaskan or will you run double megas?

This meta is also probably gonna become bw weather wars now that primals and mega ray are allowed. Basically whoever can have weather up the most will have an advantage. Also pdon and mega ray are allowed in the same team and theylle probably be standard, i can see them being a key part of the CHALK of 2016

Definitely Mega if I try Kangaskhan. Unlike Double Mega teams in VGC15, the only restriction you get in picks is losing out on Gengar/Kang if you choose to Mega Evolve Rayquaza, but that's okay since if you're bringing Mega Ray, chances are it's a better pick than the other Mega anyway. Bringing Kangaskhan/Gengar means I can still bring a Life Orb Rayquaza though, and that thing still does big damage even if I can't Mega Evolve it so there's some nice degree of freedom there that you can't get with other Megas.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Delta Stream can be overridden by Desolate Land and Primordial Sea.

Kinda forgot about that. There will be lots of Primal war and stuff. And just realised that they'll override each other so I expect lots of switching between Weather Trio Pokémon.

Koumashiki

ポケモントレーナーになる?
What should we do to make the overpowered Mega-Kangaskhan no longer be used? Ban it? No, too much of a hassle. How about, let people use even MORE overpowered things in the form of Mega Rayquayquay and the two Primals and other ubers legendaries? What a genius move!

I think next year VGC will pretty much be the war between the Hoenn trios (though I doubt Kyogre will be used as much as the other two since Primal Don is sooo good, and let's not talk about Rayquaza), and probably Xerneas spam? And imagine Cresselia paired with P-Don. Eternal sun for Moonlight recovery woooo.