• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon who are misunderstood

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Even in the game's canon Platinum suggests this is a defense mechanism and Darkrai doesn't mean harm, but Black and White 2 heavily implies it caused the death of the ghost girl
It's possible for a defence mechanism to end up leading to a person dying, ask anyone who's made the mistake of touching a poison dart frog (or not, because they most likely can't give an answer).

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Jynx - I will say this until the day I die. She was never a racial stereotype; she was a beautiful pokemon that people ironically judged the same way black people are judged in real life: condemned for the color of their skin. Jynx is one of my favorite pokemon and I wish her black skin could return.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Jynx - I will say this until the day I die. She was never a racial stereotype; she was a beautiful pokemon that people ironically judged the same way black people are judged in real life: condemned for the color of their skin. Jynx is one of my favorite pokemon and I wish her black skin could return.
It was probably a accident. My guess is that Japan is not exactly as harsh as other countries when it comes to design things. They do afterall create ridiculous amount of adult fanservice in anime which gets censored such as longer skirts on girls. They were probably trying to make Jynx scary but it didn't fit with controversies outside of Japan. Best new compromise would be to try very dark purple skin though (darker than the current)

But then again Rayman a Ubisoft game character another dark purple who is even a protagonist...was changed from dark purple to blue. Purple is often associated with either wealth or death. The death association didn't fit in a cartoon designed game imported to japan.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Whatever Jynx’s true source of inspiration is from, it seems to be very obscure from the Western fanbase point of view (one you are not likely to be aware of without using Google). In the age before Internet was widespread (when Jynx debuted) the unfortunate close resemblance to racist African American cartoons seems to have to have stuck (save for perhaps the Viking or opera singer inspiration).

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
You'd think that the simple explanation of "her skin is black because that's how frostbite looks" would have sufficed but it came off like an American imposing her view on the rest of the world.