1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon who don't look like their types

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Apr 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

Some Pokémon don't look like the type you'd think they would be. This could either be for biological reasons or to avoid "type-casting". Here's some examples:

• Fomantis and Lurantis (look like Bug/Grass, actually pure Grass)
    • The Goodra family (look like Dragon/Poison, are actually pure Dragon)
    • Dhelmise (looks like Water/Steel, is actually Ghost/Grass)
    • Clobbopus and Grapploct (look like Water/Fighting, are actually pure Fighting)
    • Incineroar (looks like Fire/Fighting, is actually Fire/Dark)
    In Lurantis's case, it looks like a Bug type to protect itself from predators, while Dhelmise's unusual typing is because its actual body is not the anchor, but rather the seaweed, which is possessed by a ghostly force. Incineroar's Dark type is based on a type of wrestler known as a "heel", who is often seen as villainous, in contrast to a "face", who is seen as a good guy. Clobbopus and Grapploct may be just pure Fighting types as opposed to Water/Fighting since they can live on land, and there's already a plethora of Water/Fighting types (Poliwrath and Keldeo come to mind).

Do you know any other Pokémon who don't look like their types?

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

The Chansey line after the Fairy typing was introduced because they have so many characteristics of the fairies you hear in fairy tales. I don’t understand why they didn’t get the typing. Mawile always struck me as looking more like a Steel/Dark type than Fairy mainly because its thing was to deceive others which many Dark types do. Plus those jaws on its head looked more menacing than anything else and it learns so many Dark type moves naturally.

3. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix #ChespinGang

Suddowoodoo looks like it could be grass. But I guess it's part of its gimmick.

Another who looks like it'd be grass is obviously the Florges line.

NovaBrunswick and Leonhart like this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

The Maril line don't resemble Fairy-types to me. They're adorable little mice-like Pokemon that seem to also be based on beach balls, so I don't understand why Game Freak added the Fairy-type to their repertoire. It's amusing to me that Lucky's (Chansey's) line is pure Normal-type even though they look more like fairies than the Maril line does.

jaden767 and TwilightBlade like this.
  5. Weavy

Weavy They call me the one who loves cats.

There isn't really a "plethora" of Water/Fighting types. The ones mentioned are the only ones as of now (RS Urshifu is unreleased at the moment despite the typing). I honestly think Clobbtopus and Grapploct have no excuse to not be Water/Fighting. They learn plenty of Water type moves and there's loads of Water types that can live on land. It would have also given variety to Gen 8's Fighting types, since almost all of them are mono type, this would have made things interesting. Well, in my opinion anyway.

And now for my choice...

Lucario. Why is this half Steel? Is it the spikes? There's pretty much no indication of it being metallic outside the spikes and even then, I don't think the spikes alone justify the Steel type. I still keep asking myself why it's half Steel...

6. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

Mr. Mime doesn't look like a Fairy type so I don't get why GF decided to make it half Fairy. Also Lucario is just some mystical jackal/Anubis creature right so why is it half Steel?

OwensJB, NovaBrunswick and Leonhart like this.
  7. RoughCoronet0

RoughCoronet0 Dragon lover

While I understand this wouldn’t be enough of an explanation for everyone, Lucario’s steel typing might be due to having part of its design origins derive from Orichalcum which was an ancient metal sometimes depicted in literature. It was said that people were able to channel magical and psychic powers through it.

8. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

I think it's based off its behavior more than anything. You know how strange and creepy the fair folk can be

9. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Pokémon Master (Kinda)

Azurill looks like a water type rather than Normal/Fairy

Lucario should be pure fighting.It doesn't really look steel in my opinion and it gives him too many weaknesses.

10. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I think those metallic spikes on its arms and chest are meant to represent its Steel-type traits, so that might be why Lucario is Fighting/Steel instead of just pure Fighting-type or some other type combination.

11. jaden767

jaden767 Amphetamine

Kingdra doesn't look like a dragon type. It's just a seahorse that doesn't even have any dragon like features so I've never gotten why Gamefreak made it water/dragon.

12. MrJechgo

MrJechgo Well-Known Member

• Lucario... mostly because it doesn't show any significant attribute for Steel. Apparently, Lucario is a play of Orichalcum, a fictional metal. However, the spikes look more like bone than metal. I dunno, I could have seen Lucario with metallic gauntlets, greaves and a helmet.
    • Stakataka (Rock/Ghost); it's supposed to be based on a Yokai
    • Zeraora (Electric/Fighting); it's obvious here :p
    I agree with Clobbopus and Grapploct, they should have been Water/Fighting. Do GameFreaks remember that Poliwrath is the only non-mythical Water/Fighting that we have... since Gen 1?

I will disagree with Incineroar, because Fire/Dark was due to get another rep (Houndoom was Gen 2), and Incineroar is supposed to be a heel, a.k.a. a wrestling bad guy, which often use cheap shots and shady tactics.

13. NovaBrunswick

Yes! I knew I was always forgetting this one! I mean, it's blue, which is a colour usually associated with Water types, and it evolves into one, so why is it a Normal/Fairy type? :rolleyes:

I've always wondered why Riolu and Lucario aren't Fighting/Psychic, because they can read auras and all that New Age-y stuff. Maybe because Meditite and Medicham were catchable in Sinnoh and they didn't want another pair of Fighting/Psychic types?

Kingdra is supposed to be based on the sea dragon, which is kind of like a seahorse with more dragon-like features. Dragalge is also based on a sea dragon, though it is Poison/Dragon rather than Water/Dragon due to the corrosive acid which it spits.

Also, I've always wondered why Gyarados is Water/Flying and not Water/Dragon. I guess he sort of does look like he's flying (or floating) in the air, and I think he could even learn Fly in the original Gen 1 games.

Sudowoodo is just a rock who just happens to look like a tree. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking it's Grass, until they find out their Fire, Bug or Flying-type attacks don't do much. The Florges line is probably pure Fairy instead of Fairy/Grass because they're just holding onto the flower - it's not part of their body (like with Dhelmise's body being the seaweed attached to the anchor), and GF didn't want the Fairy type to look weak by having a double weakness to Poison.

A lot of the Ultra Beasts have weird types. Nihilego looks like a jellyfish, so you'd think it'd be Water/Poison, not Rock/Poison (the Poison half does make sense at least, since jellyfish are toxic and can sting). And wouldn't Lusamine have felt some pain when she fused with Nihilego because of its Rock typing, because it would've felt like she had a huge rock on her head? :p

Leonhart likes this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Aside from Kingdra being a seadragon, its beta design from the Spaceworld 1997 demo had arms and looked a bit more like a dragon than its current design does. I sort of preferred its beta design.

Redstar45, OwensJB and NovaBrunswick like this.
  15. MrJechgo

MrJechgo Well-Known Member

True, but there's an actual yokai called a Mokurokuren, as well as some traits from Murikabes, that literally a bunch of eyes arranged like wall tiles.

16. NovaBrunswick

I think Pheromosa should've been Bug/Psychic or Bug/Fairy to be a counterpart to Buzzwole, because the former is exclusive to Moon and Ultra Moon while the latter is exclusive to Sun and Ultra Sun. It doesn't look Bug/Fighting at all, although I guess not all Fighting-types have to be big and muscular (see Mienfoo and Mienshao, for example).

Leonhart likes this.
  17. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

Not necessarily. Nihilego is said to have a glass like body which is basically highly polished rocks as glass comes from melted sand. There are no visible sharp edges on the UB. And there is also the fact that people wear gemstones which also don’t generally cause discomfort for the wearer.

Redstar45 and NovaBrunswick like this.
  18. NovaBrunswick

Gligar and Gliscor always confuse me. They're flying scorpions, and scorpions have a toxic sting, so why are they Ground/Flying instead of Poison/Flying? Maybe the Ground part comes from deserts, where scorpions usually live, and Crobat was already introduced in Gen 2 so they wouldn't have two Poison/Flying types. I think Gligar could even have Poison Heal as a HA (Hidden Ability) in the Dream World in Black/White and B2/W2.

Lusamine was probably "wearing" Nihilego as a huge necklace then.

OwensJB likes this.
  19. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

I think the only reasons were to distinguish themselves from the Zubat line and to do something creative.

I never got why Mawile was Steel type(well, Steel/Fairy now). In terms of its origins and characteristics, yeah it definitely deserved the Fairy type. But Steel? Why? It's the Deceiver Pokemon and the origin behind is dark, so why not Dark type? That'd actually fit with it being the version counterpart of Sableye as well!

20. NovaBrunswick

Maybe because its jaws and teeth are as hard as steel? Then again, Lucario does have metallic spikes, and it’s a Fighting/Steel type.

jaden767 and TwilightBlade like this.