• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon who don't look like their types

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
What about Volcorona? It was said to act as a substitute for the sun during a volcanic eruption and is classified as the Sun Pokémon.

I forgot about them. (Can't blame me, there's nearly a thousand Pokémon now that sometimes I forget about some of them. :p)

The leaks for Silicobra/Sandaconda made me think it was a Ground/Poison type. Nope, mono ground.

Consequently, Cufant/Copperajah I thought were part Ground type (given Donphan etc.). Nah, mono steel.

A Ground/Poison type could be kind of cool, and would've made sense in Silicobra and Sandaconda's case, since they're based on venomous snakes. Cufant and Copperajah are probably pure Steel instead of Ground/Steel because we already have Steelix for that combo.

GhostTyper101

Ghost Enthusiast
I don't know why Falinks isn't part Steel. I like many did think it was a bug when I first saw it in the overworld but I understand why it's not. It's a squad of little soldiers that literally have armour on. Should be Fighting/Steel

Haunter/Gengar also don't really strike me as Poison types either. I get why Gastly is, and I know they're purple/spiky but they don't scream Poison to me. Gengar could have been made Ghost/Dark as the shadow Pokemon, but I think Haunter and Gengar should have been mono Ghost in Gen 1. It's not like they were lacking with poison types and at least then the best pokemon to counter Psychic wouldn't also be weak to it

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
You wouldn't think Alolan Diglett and Dugtrio were Steel-types jus by looking at them, obviously there's some lore behind their hair relating to a volcanic glass fibre, but even so, nothing about them screams Steel-type. 90's boyband-type perhaps.

Joycap

The Smogonites' personal George Orwell
Cufant and Copperajah are probably pure Steel instead of Ground/Steel because we already have Steelix for that combo.

Slight disagree? Re-use isn't any kind of reason to make something not a dual typing, otherwise Excadrill wouldn't be the fan favourite that it is. At least, if you can help it, or make something a unique typing.

It would be like making Galarian Slowbro mono psychic, when they would have otherwise missed a golden opportunity to make is Psychic/Poison like they did. It's the concern I had when Galarian Slowpoke was revealed to only be mono-psychic, but I digress.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Reinhardt said:
You wouldn't think Alolan Diglett and Dugtrio were Steel-types jus by looking at them, obviously there's some lore behind their hair relating to a volcanic glass fibre, but even so, nothing about them screams Steel-type. 90's boyband-type perhaps.

I think Game Freak were just reaching for a secondary type to give those two Pokemon, so they went with the Steel-type based on rather flimsy reasoning about their hair fibers.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
With Deerling and Sawsbuck's gimmick, they could've given them different types based on their form:

• Spring Form could be Grass/Fairy
  • Summer Form could be Grass/Fire (because of warmth, and forest fires often happen in summer)
  • Autumn Form could be Grass/Ground (since the leaves fall to the ground)
  • Winter Form could be Grass/Ice
Also, I wonder why many more Pokémon didn't have form changes in Gen 5, with the season-changing feature?

TwilightBlade

In the weeks right after the release of X/Y, I actually did think that it was half Poison-type and half Dragon-type based on its appearance, as well as the fact that I thought Game Freak gave it the Poison-type so that it would stand a chance against Fairy-types. It's a shame that it and its evolved forms are pure Dragon-type, though.

Goomy looks slimy and fitting for a potential Poison type so I'm a little mad that GF didn't go with the most obvious type combo choice and left Goomy's family as pure Dragons. :[

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
With Deerling and Sawsbuck's gimmick, they could've given them different types based on their form:

• Spring Form could be Grass/Fairy
  • Summer Form could be Grass/Fire (because of warmth, and forest fires often happen in summer)
  • Autumn Form could be Grass/Ground (since the leaves fall to the ground)
  • Winter Form could be Grass/Ice
Also, I wonder why many more Pokémon didn't have form changes in Gen 5, with the season-changing feature?

Shikijika's (Deerling's) seasonal form change coming with type changes as well would've been great, and it probably would've made me more likely to use a member of that evolutionary family.

MrJechgo

How about these?
  • Lugia, not Water
  • Celebi, not Fairy
  • G-Articuno, not Ice
  • G-Zapdos, not Electric
  • G-Moltres, not Fire
  • Comfey, not Grass
  • Flabebe, not Grass
  • Darkrai, not Ghost
  • Grapploct, not Water
  • Falinks, not Steel... or Bug (NOT a problem though ;) )
  • G-Farfetch'd / Sirfetch'd, not Normal
  • Lunatone, not Ice
  • Solrock, not Fire
  • Porygon, not Electric
  • Goodra, not Poison
  • Samurott, not Fighting
  • Zeraora, not Fighting
  • Flygon, not Bug
  • Torkoal, not Rock
  • Psyduck/Golduck, not Psychic

Last edited:

Redbird

Glalie looks part Dark (evil-looking design, one of its two most prominent colors is black), has a Dark behavior (the Pokédex says it freezes its prey and eats it leisurely), learns many Dark moves, and has a scary-looking Mega evolution, yet both it and its Mega evo are pure Ice types. I don't get why they didn't make it Ice/Dark.

Charizard obviously looks like a dragon, and its Japanese name is Lizardon, which sounds like lizard + dragon. Well, its types still match technically, as dragons can breathe fire and fly, but still... no Dragon type. I guess they wanted to reserve it for the pseudo-legendary.
Azurill looks like a water type rather than Normal/Fairy
I've read somewhere that the reason Azurill isn't Water is that when they added it to the game, the programmers copied the data of another baby Pokémon (either Igglybuff or Cleffa, forgot which one) to its slot and modified it from there, but forgot to change its type. So it ended up being Normal in R/S, and later games kept it that way for consistency. This is supported by the fact it has a 75% female gender ratio like Igglybuff/Cleffa, despite Marill and Azumarill's being 50%, which led to the infamous transgender Marill glitch.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
willprogresivo said:
Gothitelle should be Psychic/Dark, Tsareena should be Grass/Fighting.

I sort of agree about the former since it has a black color scheme, which implies that it should be a Dark-type. I figure that maybe it was initially conceived as a pure Dark-type, but then perhaps Game Freak realized that they needed more Psychic-types for Cattleya (Caitlin) to use on her team, so they changed that evolutionary family's type.

Rockapheller

A Pokémon Enthusiast
Charizard obviously looks like a dragon, and its Japanese name is Lizardon, which sounds like lizard + dragon. Well, its types still match technically, as dragons can breathe fire and fly, but still... no Dragon type. I guess they wanted to reserve it for the pseudo-legendary.
Japanese culture associates dragons with snakes while it is the European culture associating dragons with lizards.

Redbird

Japanese culture associates dragons with snakes while it is the European culture associating dragons with lizards.
I'm aware of that, but Pokémon designs take inspiration from cultures all around the world. Charizard has obvious dragon features like horns and wings, and there have been other western-style dragons like Samalence or Druddigon, which did get the Dragon type.

Last edited:

Rockapheller

A Pokémon Enthusiast
I'm aware of that, but Pokémon designs take inspiration from cultures all around the world. Charizard has obvious dragon features like horns and wings, and there have been other western-style dragons like Samalence or Druddigon, which did get the Dragon type.
Yes, exactly. That's fair. But especially taking the first generation in consederation, Masuda didn't really think of Pocket Monster as a franchise that would go worldwide and his main focus was pretty much Japanese folks with its regions and traditions (like Farfetch'd). For the early stage of the franchise, it ought to be a more accurate and healthy conclusion to think of Japanese culture rather than global.