1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon who don't look like their types

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Apr 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. LucarioIsMegaEvolving

LucarioIsMegaEvolving A single misplaced step

I mean, fair assumption considering that, like a lot of other Gen 2 Pokémon, they were only available in one spot in Kanto in Gen 2 for some reason.

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but I always think Shellder and Seel are ice types due to their evolutions. Same with Fletchling, I always think that it's part Fire. Larvitar and Pupitar don't really have anything that makes them seem like a Ground type. Volbeat and Illumise seem like they should be part Flying, though I suppose that you shouldn't just make every winged Pokémon Flying type. I have no idea why Jirachi is a Steel type, though I do appreciate that it makes it more distinct from the many other pure Psychic type Legendaries and Mythicals. Mienshao also looks like part-Psychic.

Sakuyamon, NovaBrunswick and jaden767 like this.
  2. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

Garchomp is a Pokemon I love but I have to admit it doesn't look like a ground type. It resembles a shark and a Jet plane and neither particularly resembles a Ground-type.

3. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

Maybe GF didn't want yet another Dragon/Flying type, of which there are many (e.g. Dragonite and Salamence).

Larvitar is born underground, so it does make sense in Larvitar's case at least. Pupitar though, by the way it gets around, you'd think... maybe Rock/Flying or Steel/Flying? It looks more like a Rock or Steel than a Ground-type to me, because its shiny silver body looks like metal.

Being fireflies, Volbeat and Illumise could've been Bug/Dark. Not in the "evil" sense though, but in the literal "darkness" sense, since fireflies only come out at night.

4. Monox D. I-Fly

Monox D. I-Fly Well-Known Member

To be fair, many Ground-type don't look like it. It seems that Ground is just middle way between Normal and Rock.

NovaBrunswick and Leonhart like this.
  5. NovaBrunswick

Seeing that Celesteela is a bamboo tree crossed with a Space Shuttle, shouldn't it be Grass/Steel? Or if more than two types in a combo are allowed, maybe Grass/Steel/Flying?

Sakuyamon likes this.
  6. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

I’ve Been saying the same thing for years! A close look at fairies in fairy tales, you’ll notice a pattern of them blessing people with gifts of happiness and good fortune and the Fairies in the Legend of Zelda series give Link newly enhanced items, protection, and even heal him completely. Now what is the Chansey line well known for? Being the literal embodiment of good luck and fortune and happiness, willing to share their eggs with the injured, and being Nurse Joy’s most prominent and recurring assistant. The line is more of a Fairy Type than Marill’s when you think about it.

7. Sakuyamon

Sakuyamon Well-Known Member

Alolan Exeggutor doesn't look like a dragon type also Relicanth doesn't look like it should be half rock type because it's just a very rare fish and has no rock like properties.

8. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I think it being half Rock-type is a reference to its longevity, as well as it being a "living fossil" so to speak.

9. NovaBrunswick

Relicanth's real-life basis is the coelacanth, which is a fish that was thought to have been extinct for millions of years, until one was fished up off the coast of South Africa in 1938.

Sakuyamon and OwensJB like this.
  10. OwensJB

OwensJB Well-Known Member

Yeah A-Exeggutor being part Dragon still makes me scratch my head. Part of me thinks that Game Freak just wanted more Dragons in Sun & Moon so they made it part Dragon type instead of inventing a completely new Pokemon for the job.

11. Captain Jigglypuff

I’ve always thought it’s head was the rocky part. It looks extremely thick and hard.

Venomshock and NovaBrunswick like this.
  12. NovaBrunswick

I always think Absol should be Dark/Psychic instead of just pure Dark, because it can predict disasters and can learn some Psychic moves, like Psycho Cut. It's sort of like a prophet in Pokémon form, one that unfairly gets blamed for causing disasters when it's really just warning people of them.

Leonhart likes this.
  13. Captain Jigglypuff

I always name one female Absol Cassandra in every game because what you just said is the entire summary of the mythology of the Greek prophetess.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I think it should've been pure Psychic-type instead of pure Dark-type. I figure that Game Freak decided to make it a Dark-type to balance out the type spread in the Houen Zukan (Pokedex).

15. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

It also has some features of bony fish such as Dunkleosteus Terrelli, which could explain its Rock typing. Perhaps Relicanth's "bony" armor is actually similar in composition to stone, similar to Sudowoodo's body.

Sakuyamon, NovaBrunswick and Leonhart like this.
  16. raichu27

raichu27 Well-Known Member

Sudowoodo(kinda thought it would be a grass type at first)
    Alolan Exeggutor(doesn't look anything like a dragon)
    Haunter and Gengar (the poison type makes more sense for Gastly, though)
    Incineroar (kinda looks like a fighting type)
    Goomy evolution line (kinda looks like a poison type)
    Stufful (doesn't look anything like a fighting type)
    Gligar (kinda looks like a poison type)
    Vibrava and Flygon (they kinda looks like bugs)
    Galarian Weezing(kinda looks like it could've been a Poison/Steel type, which I always wanted to see)
    Florges evolution line (they kinda look like they could be part Grass, too)
    Zeraora(would've been cool to see it as part fighting)
    Rockruff and Lycanroc

That's all I can think of, right now.

Sakuyamon, NovaBrunswick and Leonhart like this.
  17. NovaBrunswick

Why Rockruff and Lycanroc? They do have some rocky bits on them at least, although I think they should've been Rock/Normal. But then that would make them double-weak to Fighting. I also think Midnight Form Lycanroc should've been Rock/Dark, because it's meant to be like a werewolf, and werewolves only come out on a full moon. Werewolves are also said to only be weak to silver bullets, which means that Rock's weakness to Steel does make sense in this case.

In his Emerald playthrough, Chuggaconroy named his Absol Pandora, another figure from Greek mythology who opened a box full of all the evils in the world. Absol isn't really evil though, just misunderstood. Also, in some of the games, Absol is found in places where a great disaster happened:

• In Sinnoh, it can be found around Mt. Coronet, where Team Galactic summoned Dialga and Palkia to carry out their plans of a new, emotionless world.
    • In Unova, it's found on Route 13, near where the Giant Chasm is. Kyurem landed there many years ago and terrorized the people of Lacunosa Town, apparently eating some of them. 13 is also popularly considered to be an unlucky number - which Absol sort of is, since people hate it for supposedly being the harbinger of disasters, when it's simply just trying to warn them.
    • In Alola, it's found near the Tapu Village, where Tapu Bulu destroyed the Thrifty Megamart supermarket in a fit of rage after it was built on its sacred ground.

It does, but it's based on a kind of wrestler called a "heel", which is seen as the sort of bad guy in contrast to a "face", who is seen as good. Or maybe GF didn't want yet another Fire/Fighting type. I kind of want to see a Fire/Fighting type that isn't a starter though - maybe it could be a literal firefighter. :p:D

18. raichu27

raichu27 Well-Known Member

It's only like the rock necklace that resembles the rock type for Rockruff. Don't see much rocks on Lycanroc, maybe except for the brown parts around its face. Midnight Lycanroc kinda did sounded like it could be a Rock/Dark type.

We already have 3 fully evolved Fire/Fighting starting Pokemon anyway. Although, a non starter one would've been cool to see, too.

Sakuyamon, NovaBrunswick and jaden767 like this.
  19. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

I find it kind of amusing that the last two Fire starters look like they could be Fire/Fighting. It's like GameFreak knew they'd be leaked and wanted to mess with us after giving us 3 Fire/Fighting starters in a row.

Another interesting thing is that every final stage Fire starter is bipedal. I wonder if this isn't an intentional design choice for some reason.

20. LucarioIsMegaEvolving

LucarioIsMegaEvolving A single misplaced step

I mean, Samurott was the last fully-evolved starter to not be bipedal, for some reason. It's interesting that Gamefreak seems to be making the starters more humanoid for whatever reason.