1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon who don't look like their types

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Apr 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

Are you not counting Primarina? It technically isn’t bipedal either on the account that it has no legs and only flippers for arms.

NovaBrunswick and Spider-Phoenix like this.
  2. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

Fire starters have been bipedal since the very beginning, though. Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken, and Infernape are all bipedal (granted, all the final evolution starters are bipedal in Gen 3).

3. LucarioIsMegaEvolving

LucarioIsMegaEvolving A single misplaced step

Yeah, Primarina's the one case where it can be argued that it isn't really bipedal. It's mostly just that it's very similar-looking to a mermaid, and I was mostly counting how humanoid they looked rather than if they were bipedal (that and I forgot Primarina's design)

4. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

Samurott could've been Water/Fighting, given that it's an otter crossed with a samurai and it uses swords as weapons. But then it would kind of clash with Emboar being Fire/Fighting, and GF obviously don't want to repeat types throughout the starter families.

There was also a rumour when Sword/Shield were still in prerelease that Sobble would evolve into a Water/Psychic type, which we did sort of get (minus the Psychic type) with Inteleon being a spy. I noticed that the final evos of the Galar starters are the first ones since Johto to stay as one type throughout their entire evolution lines.

As are Emboar, Delphox, Incineroar and Cinderace. Cyndaquil, Fennekin and Litten are quadrupedal, though.

OwensJB and Sakuyamon like this.
  5. Sakuyamon

Sakuyamon Well-Known Member

I know the basis of its origin I just didn't really see eye to eye on why it was made part Rock type. But after seeing some of the explanations I get it now. :)

6. Venomshock

Venomshock Well-Known Member

Primarina doesn't look like a Fairy type to me. It's elegant as heck and all that but being an adorable and feminine looking Pokemon shouldn't automatically make you a Fairy type. Same sort of applies to Mr. Mime, Whimsicott and Dedenne.

TwilightBlade and NovaBrunswick like this.
  7. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

Primarina being Fairy-type does make sense at least, since it's supposed to be like a mermaid and mermaids are fairy-tale characters. Whimsicott could also count as it's supposed to take its prankster elements from elves and leprechauns, though I'm not too sure about Mr. Mime and Dedenne. Mimes and clowns sort of have that "magic" element to them, but I really don't know why Dedenne is Electric/Fairy, when it might as well be just a plain Electric type. Maybe GF just added on the Fairy typing because it was new in Gen 6 and they just wanted something different from the other Pikaclones.

TwilightBlade likes this.