• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon who don't look like their types

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Alolan Exeggutor really doesn't look all that dragony to me, despite being Grass/Dragon. A lot of Dragon-type Pokémon don't really seem to look like dragons at all, and some who you'd think would be Dragon-types (like Charizard and Gyarados) aren't. o_O

MrJechgo

I'm gonna go on a HUGE tangent and say that none of the starters look like the "partner" type... Hear me out: In Let's Go, both Pikachu and Eevee were more than just your starters, they were almost like NPCs, from their interactions to how close you get to them.

Anyone here who wished that all 9 SwSh starter Pokémon (Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble, with their respective evolutions) would be a little more interactive, close and given more attention? I could have seen you and Grookey going on a side quest to help a musician, with a rhythm minigame, you and Scorbunny playing European soccer with a shooter gallery-like minigame or you and Sobble asked to spy on someone, with a stealth minigame. You had to briefly control Pikachu and Eevee in Let's Go to open a passage, so... why not do the same with your starter?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Hear me out: In Let's Go, both Pikachu and Eevee were more than just your starters, they were almost like NPCs, from their interactions to how close you get to them.

And in Yellow and HG/SS too. I still think GF should keep the "Pokémon follow you around" feature for all future games, just so you can see them as more than tools to help you out in battle.

MrJechgo

And in Yellow and HG/SS too. I still think GF should keep the "Pokémon follow you around" feature for all future games, just so you can see them as more than tools to help you out in battle.
You're about those, but Let's Go pushed that concept a bit further, in the right direction, but... SwSh didn't do anything to go forward.
I feel like "bonding with your starter" should be a more important part of any Pokémon game. I mean, you choose it. In many occasions, they show trainers with a very close bond with their own Pokémon... except you, ironically :p That's what I meant by the "partner type". I do not want to sidetrack this topic too much ;)

Y'know, considering their original rejected designs, anyone here who wished that Remoraid and Octillery would have been Water/Steel? Yeah, for those who don't know, Remoraid was supposed to be a cross between a remora and a [water] pistol, with its abdomen being similar to a bullet chamber, while Octillery was supposed to be a cross between an octopus and a tank, with its tentacles looking like treads and even having a helmet-like shell on its head. If anything, I'll gladly take regional variants of these two being Water/Steel, with a 3rd extra evolution called Krakannon, which would be Octillery merged with a submarine, wearing an navy admiral cap, or a Captain Nemo hat :)

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Y'know, considering their original rejected designs, anyone here who wished that Remoraid and Octillery would have been Water/Steel? Yeah, for those who don't know, Remoraid was supposed to be a cross between a remona and a [water] pistol, with its abdomen being similar to a bullet chamber, while Octillery was supposed to be a cross between an octopus and a tank, with its tentacles looking like treads and even having a helmet-like shell on its head. If anything, I'll gladly take regional variants of these two being Water/Steel, with a 3rd extra evolution called Krakannon, which would be Octillery merged with a submarine, wearing an navy admiral cap, or a Captain Nemo hat :)

Ah, so THAT'S why Remoraid evolves into Octillery. But still, how does a fish evolve into an octopus? o_O

The Deino family were also originally meant to look like tanks, which is why Hydreigon has markings that look like tank tracks on its abdomen. They could've been Dragon/Steel then.

I also still feel Oranguru should be Grass/Psychic.

Because of its leaf fan?

MrJechgo

Ah, so THAT'S why Remoraid evolves into Octillery. But still, how does a fish evolve into an octopus? o_O
We do have a woodpecker evolving into a toucan :p

The Deino family were also originally meant to look like tanks, which is why Hydreigon has markings that look like tank tracks on its abdomen. They could've been Dragon/Steel then.
It was indeed planned for Hydreigon to be cybernetic dragons with tank features, until it was reworked to resemble Yamata No Orochi. I feel like Pokémon doesn't have many vehicle-like Pokémon. I mean, we could have gotten a car, a train, a boat, an airplane, a fighter jet, a submarine, name it, but apparently, these Pokémon would have been difficult to develop an ecology, such as habitat, nutrition and such. Then again, if you look at a Pokémon like Magnemite, Magneton and Magnezone, I'd say that they just haven't explored vehicles yet.

jaden767

Amphetamine
There is zero reason for Lucario to be part Steel, outside of dumb headcannons.

I also still feel Oranguru should be Grass/Psychic.

That seems like a stretch because other than Oranguru's leaf fan that is nothing more than an accessory, it doesn't look like it would have anything in common with Grass types. I mean talk about headcanons.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
And how does an ant thing evolve into a dragonfly, and then into a literal dragon? o_O

Tailmon is the worst offender

Puppy dog - Cat- female Angel - pink Dragon

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
And how does an ant thing evolve into a dragonfly, and then into a literal dragon? o_O

Trapinch’s line displays the life cycle of an Antlion.

it goes from this.
Antlions.jpg

To this.
antlio4b.jpg

Since they are often confused for dragonflies, that’s probably why Flygon shares inspiration from these insects as well. As to the dragon type....? Most likely as a bit of fun on the fact that it is a Dragon fly.

MrJechgo

• Torkoal looks like a Fire/Rock type, maybe even a fossil, considering tortoises are long lived.
  • Heatmor looks like a Fire/Steel type, especially with those weird metal gauntlets... and odd pipe on its belly.
  • Castform looks like a Normal/Fairy type, with its Normal typing changing with the weather.
  • Arcanine feels like a Fire/Dragon type, with its legendary status... and how powerful the Dragon typing can be.
  • Accelgor looks like a Bug/Dark type, being very ninja-esque.
  • Comfey looks like a Grass/Fairy type, being a flower necklace.
  • Florges looks like a Grass/Fairy type, literally being a flower.
  • Ninetails could be a Fire/Fairy type, thus being a counterpart to its Alolan form (Ice/Fairy)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Comfey looks like a Grass/Fairy type, being a flower necklace.

I thought this as well. Again, as with the Flabebe family, I think it's just holding on to the flowers, and they're not actually part of its body.

Arcanine feels like a Fire/Dragon type, with its legendary status... and how powerful the Dragon typing can be.

In the episode Pokémon Emergency, you can see a stone tablet that has the three legendary birds and what looks like Arcanine on it, suggesting that Arcanine was originally going to be a legendary Pokémon in Gen 1.

Torkoal looks like a Fire/Rock type, maybe even a fossil, considering tortoises are long lived.

Am I the only one who thought Torkoal was an evolution of Magcargo at first? They have similar bodies and come right after each other in the Hoenn Pokédex, and the Gym Leader Flannery in the anime had a Slugma, Magcargo and Torkoal. I also thought Slugma and Magcargo were Gen 3 Pokémon, and when I found out they were from Gen 2, I thought Torkoal was their Gen 3 evolution.

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
I also thought Slugma and Magcargo were Gen 3 Pokémon, and when I found out they were from Gen 2, I thought Torkoal was their Gen 3 evolution.
I mean, fair assumption considering that, like a lot of other Gen 2 Pokémon, they were only available in one spot in Kanto in Gen 2 for some reason.

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but I always think Shellder and Seel are ice types due to their evolutions. Same with Fletchling, I always think that it's part Fire. Larvitar and Pupitar don't really have anything that makes them seem like a Ground type. Volbeat and Illumise seem like they should be part Flying, though I suppose that you shouldn't just make every winged Pokémon Flying type. I have no idea why Jirachi is a Steel type, though I do appreciate that it makes it more distinct from the many other pure Psychic type Legendaries and Mythicals. Mienshao also looks like part-Psychic.