• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon World Tournament Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Pokémon World Tournament Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

R_N suggested this to me so I figured why not

Discuss the Pokémon World Tournament here. How are you battling through it? Any trainers giving you trouble? Download tournaments will be noted here as well!

Full trainer listings
Driftveil Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/driftveil.shtml
Mix Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/mix.shtml
Rental Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/rental.shtml
Mix Master Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/mixmaster.shtml
Rental Master Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/rentalmaster.shtml
Unova Leaders Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/unova.shtml
Kanto Leaders Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/kanto.shtml
Johto Leaders Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/johto.shtml
Hoenn Leaders Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/hoenn.shtml
Sinnoh Leaders Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/sinnoh.shtml
World Leaders Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/world.shtml
Champions Tournament: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/champion.shtml
Download Tournaments: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwtdownload.shtml
Type Expert
Bug, Dark, Dragon, Electric, Fighting, Fire, Flying, Ghost, Grass, Ground, Ice, Normal, Poison, Psychic, Rock, Steel, Water

-Nator-

I've defeated all but the 16 remaining Type Expert tournaments. Gonna be both difficult and tedious doing all them. Once I'm done with it, though, I will be downloading all available tournaments over WFC. That VGC World Tournament is so gonna be suicide...
The hardest tournament for me so far was probably the Johto Leaders. For some reason, Morty gave me the hardest time.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I'll be the first to pose another question related to the PWT:
Do you guys like the format and idea of the PWT itself?

I really like the idea of a tournament-style system. Yeah, it's the same few people that you fight every time, but it adds a lot to the flavor of the game. The player is exposed to more than just the one-on-one or two-on-two Battle Subway system; instead, the player is pitted against seven other people, all who are competing for the same thing, and I like that.

As for the tournaments themselves, none of them are really giving me trouble just yet. That may be because I haven't really gotten to participate in each of the tournaments, but I'll definitely prepare my teams for any challenges that await me. :)

Rakurai

I have a much easier time making myself do the PWT matches then I do the Battle Subway.

The shorter three round format just feels way less tedious then having to slog through seven matches in a row, plus there isn't the pressure of potentially losing your streak and your high BP gains with it.

-Nator-

I'll be the first to pose another question related to the PWT:
Do you guys like the format and idea of the PWT itself?

I really like the idea of a tournament-style system. Yeah, it's the same few people that you fight every time, but it adds a lot to the flavor of the game. The player is exposed to more than just the one-on-one or two-on-two Battle Subway system; instead, the player is pitted against seven other people, all who are competing for the same thing, and I like that.

As for the tournaments themselves, none of them are really giving me trouble just yet. That may be because I haven't really gotten to participate in each of the tournaments, but I'll definitely prepare my teams for any challenges that await me. :)

I love the idea and I think it's better than the Battle Subway in every way. For one, it doesn't take even half as long to earn BP, and depending on how well you performed in the tourny, you get about twice as many points than you would the Subway. Secondly, you have a lot more variety and you're not just stuck in casual battles. They have incorporated gimmicks (e.g Type Expert, Mix, Rental etc).
Oh, and the tournaments will give you troubles at some point. I wouldn't even think about underestimating.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I love the idea and I think it's better than the Battle Subway in every way. For one, it doesn't take even half as long to earn BP, and depending on how well you performed in the tourny, you get about twice as many points than you would the Subway. Secondly, you have a lot more variety and you're not just stuck in casual battles. They have incorporated gimmicks (e.g Type Expert, Mix, Rental etc).

Oh yeah, I didn't even consider BP payouts when typing my first post.

And eh, personally I don't like using rental Pokémon for anything, mainly because I should be able to use my hard-trained Pokémon. But the fact that there are so many different modes and gimmicks to choose from definitely makes it better than the Battle Subway, in my opinion. :)

Charoshi

Charmander is best
For whatever reason, Blaine seems to always get the upper hand on me. Only reason I won last time is cause his magmortar missed. I'm definitely enjoying the tournaments so far, even if I haven't done many.

On another note, my god is there so much damn hax here. I swear every 2-3 hits is a crit against me -.-

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I feel like they could have rebalanced the BP rewards from the Battle Subway and the PWT to account for the disparate difficulties and reduced item costs. Honestly, I'd rather spam the Weaksauce Singles Line for 3 BP a run (10 from runs with the Subway Bosses) rather than struggle through the PWT for 1 BP. The Single Subway on weaksauce is just easier, since the Pokemon are suckier and there are less of them that you have to prepare for.

The only PWTs I've beaten are the story-required Driftveil, the Unova Leaders, and the Johto Leaders. I lost against the other three. Then again, though, I'm using my in-game team (Mink Car the Arcanine, Lincoln the Magnezone, Flood the Samurott), so it's obviously easier using competitive 'mons.

Last edited:

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
On another note, my god is there so much damn hax here. I swear every 2-3 hits is a crit against me -.-

That's one of the things I don't like about these facilities. Yeah, it's arguable that the player is just unlucky, but when almost everybody who participates in these facilities has the same lack of luck, one starts to wonder whether or not the critical hit percentages are actually increased.

Suspicions, suspicions...

Charoshi

Charmander is best
That's one of the things I don't like about these facilities. Yeah, it's arguable that the player is just unlucky, but when almost everybody who participates in these facilities has the same lack of luck, one starts to wonder whether or not the critical hit percentages are actually increased.

Suspicions, suspicions...

Oh completely. I've always wondered why focus blast won't hit that many times for me like that...

On another note, I thoroughly amused myself by giving my ferrothorn the rocky helmet and letting a Skarmory annihilate itself with all the recoil. xD

-Nator-

Oh yeah, I didn't even consider BP payouts when typing my first post.

And eh, personally I don't like using rental Pokémon for anything, mainly because I should be able to use my hard-trained Pokémon. But the fact that there are so many different modes and gimmicks to choose from definitely makes it better than the Battle Subway, in my opinion. :)

I traded over my trained team from White, and it was still quite the challenge. Gimmick-wise, I found the Mix tournaments to be most fun of all. Oh, I also forgot to mention that the PWT also awards you with a Shard for at least trying, another feature Battle Subway lacks. I really hope to see PWT, or another variation in future games.

For whatever reason, Blaine seems to always get the upper hand on me. Only reason I won last time is cause his magmortar missed. I'm definitely enjoying the tournaments so far, even if I haven't done many.

I agree with this, Blaine was a total jerk. I lost Kanto leaders the first time because of him... that Rotom just HAD to Trick me its Flame Orb...

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I traded over my trained team from White, and it was still quite the challenge. Gimmick-wise, I found the Mix tournaments to be most fun of all. Oh, I also forgot to mention that the PWT also awards you with a Shard for at least trying, another feature Battle Subway lacks. I really hope to see PWT, or another variation in future games.

I find that to be the flaw of the Battle Subway and all the other Battle facilities. It's alright if the player doesn't get a prize for at least trying, but when coupled with the suspicious effect percentages, the game practically makes fun of the player for trying to get such a high streak. :/

Rakurai

At least we now have the AI breaking combo of Truant Durant with Entrainment to cheese the subway with if it gets too tedious.

For those curious as to how it works, you can just use Entrainment on the opponent's Pokemon, bring out something with Protect and a stat boosting move, then just alternate Protect and stat boosts until you're maxed out, then sweep their whole team. There are some random factors like Focus Sashes that can potentially mess it up, though.

-Nator-

I find that to be the flaw of the Battle Subway and all the other Battle facilities. It's alright if the player doesn't get a prize for at least trying, but when coupled with the suspicious effect percentages, the game practically makes fun of the player for trying to get such a high streak. :/

Or even worse, when you lose in the finals in any PWT tournament, the game will completely rub it in your face and stick your opponent's face on the big screen and make you click through the painful text.
Probably the one and only thing I don't like about PWT.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
At least we now have the AI breaking combo of Truant Durant with Entrainment to cheese the subway with if it gets too tedious.

For those curious as to how it works, you can just use Entrainment on the opponent's Pokemon, bring out something with Protect and a stat boosting move, then just alternate Protect and stat boosts until you're maxed out, then sweep their whole team. There are some random factors like Focus Sashes that can potentially mess it up, though.

There are other, similar ways of doing this, though, like Tricking Choice Scarves, Flashing, T-Waving, etc. It's a nice addition, but unneeded.

I'd rather abuse Swift Swim + Drizzle Kingdra, but that's just me.

Rakurai

I heard the AI is smart enough to switch out now if they get a Choice Scarf tricked onto them and they're being forced to use a non-offensive or ineffective move. Is that true?

-Nator-

I heard the AI is smart enough to switch out now if they get a Choice Scarf tricked onto them and they're being forced to use a non-offensive or ineffective move. Is that true?

They are. I know this because I used a DW Sableye with Trick.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

In general, I've found the AI will only switch if they can't do anything to you at all. If they can still hit you with a 4x resisted attack with lowered offenses, they will do so. I don't believe it's been fixed in that regard.

Buuz

Smash Trainer

Then here's my question: is truant Durant's hidden ability?

As for my progress in the tournaments: doing good. This stuff is a lot harder than i expected, but it's a good thing. I am enjoying myself and this time we actually have to carefully make our choices when using certain moves and pokémon. I defeated the Unova, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh leaders with double, triple and rotation battles. Right now i am fighting to win 10 times in the world leaders tournament so i can participate in the Champions tournament.

Last edited:

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Thank you R_N for passing the idea to Serebii. ^^

I really like the PWT, which is why I asked R_N if a thread could be made for users to discuss it. I've alway liked rental battles and more recently found mix battles and the like (like PBR's Neon Colosseum and the Battle Arcade's swap teams event) really interesting. Currently, this game is the only game where I am far enough or have pokemon to use for these types of battles. As soon as I got to Driftveil, the PWT was a big priority. Actually, I haven't done much story after that.

Rental I've prolly done the most. It's weird, but the best option to choose seems to be the middle to get either fully evolved pokemon or almost fully evolved. The first selection has like just given me unevolved pokemon.

Mix has been what I've been most excited for as soon as I heard about it. Been trying to search info and videos on mix battles, but there really isn't much and kinda seems unpopular, but it's really interesting. I actually traded over the three pokemon on my team I used for Battle Subway singles. Recently I've been using my elemental monkeys, and that's been more fun since my team pokes aren't just sweepers and require more thought than the npc seems to use. My monkeys have interesting gimmicky movesets. Simisear has moves for his weakness and strength, simisage has moves for his strength as well as his own type, and simipour has moves for it's weakness, strength, and own type. I also gave them almost all the same hp, defenses, and speed, so it's kinda a luck thing when going first for the ones with the same speed.

All in all, these early modes have been easier than the Subway I feel. I can't wait to unlock more from it, especially Rental and Mix Masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.