• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y Beta Competition Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in as well, but I thought at first I wasn't since invites were originally scheduled to go out on the 14th. When I logged in on Tues. night and saw that I had qualified, I freaked out, because I still had two spots left to fill on my doubles team to replace Terrakion and Cresselia. Thankfully, I was off work the next day, and was able to finish breeding and training my set. I'll be starting my first set of 20 after work.

OT: Wally
Male
Masters div.
U.S, Georgia
Haven't decided on a message yet...
Team:
Mega Kangaskahn, Rotom-W, Talonflame, Tyranitar, Mega Lucario, and Porygon 2.

Good luck to all participants!

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
So I realized that there's no Species Clause in this tournament thanks to a team that consisted only of Imposter Dittos with varying items. The epitome of a lazy team, but annoyingly effective, that's for sure. Only got 9 battles in today, but I've been busy today. I'll catch up over the weekend, though.

Same here. Just saw a team with a Politoed, a Ludicolo, something else I forgot, and THREE GASTRODONS! The idea was for them to spam Surf and use each other's Storm Drain to buff SpA. Would have won if my Porygon 2 had decided to Trace Storm Drain instead of Drizzle...

8-7 so far. Five more to go for today. Since this is my first real competition, I'm aiming for an even record.

venom1950

Ace Trainer
so far more or less good! :D this is the best W/L ratio in doubles :)
6/9 is pretty good score so far with the team i'm using. i really don't have any big strategy. just spore the biggest threat and while it's asleep attack the other pokemon and then attack him. :D

favourite match was against a japanese trainer with 5 Zoroark and 1 male Meowstic :D he didn't put Mewostick on the last slot but one of the Zoroark :D and when i attacked the first one the illusion went off and reveald that Zoroark was infact Zoroark all along! i was like *gasp*

Last edited:
11 - 9 for the first day. Not too shabby!

Don't know if it was the same guy, but I ran into an all-Imposter Ditto team as well. If the battle video code is posted, I'll put it up here. Also had a heart-stopping match against an Intimidate team centered around Mega Manectric.

Looking forward to Day 2 already!

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I'm not doing as good as usual. I hate that Quick Guard blocks Talonflame's Brave Bird. I think they should have made it so only moves with natural priority of +1 or higher are blocked. That made Talonflame entirely useless one of the two matches I lost. The other one I lost I got them down to just one Pokemon, Mega Mawile. What was cheap was my Talonflame taking more damage than I expected from a Bullet Punch from non-CB Scizor and getting KO'd due to Intimidate lowering my attack just enough so Brave Bird left it with minimal HP. I should be at 3-1. -.-

old man

On Guard!!!
Decided to try the mat block/wide guard defense this go around. Doing horrible with it. Tried something new. Seeing more than 1 of the same poke is a pain.

Last edited:
My question is: how did we not get the news that there is no Species Clause in this competition? Was there anything that said so, or did peoplel assume that since it wasn't stated, it wouldn't be enforced? Does this mean no Item Clause as well?

Duney

4 and 6 so far for me. Keep having trouble with my wifi. Will have to try later tonight. Do your Pokémon get a ribbon for playing in the tournament? Is there any in-game reward of any kind? Not that I need one, just wondering.

old man

On Guard!!!
No in game reward from what I know.
I keep running into TR & stall teams big pain. Nothing overpowering only interesting thing has been a fake out/sucker punch team.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I finish day 1 with a record of 12-8. I faced the same person twice. Seriously what are the odds? That person had a Flygon with Superpower. I didn't expect it coming because I thought Superpower was a transfer only move. Half of my losses are due to hax. I was frozen at least 3 times and fully paralyzed on a turn that mattered multiple times. Flinched a couple times on a turn that mattered twice. I also faced a gimmick Dragonite that has Waterfall which is stupid to have in doubles.

The highlight was when I faced a team of six Glaceon since I was using Mega Tyranitar. It made things pretty simple. My pick for most lol move award goes to the player who had Fly on Volcarona. An honarable mention goes to the player who had Dig on Garchomp.

I want to ask others, has Lum Berry actually benefitted you in any matches? Originally I was going to go with Focus Sash on my Garchomp, but after seeing how poorly it did after getting burned in a test match where they used Rotom-W, I opted for Lum Berry. I know Focus Sash would have saved me a couple times.

@Duney: For participating you get a commemorative ribbon.

Growlie19

Weird that the species clause isn't in effect. Yesterday, I faced a team of six Bibarels. XD

So far, I'm 3-3. Oddly, no Talonflame yet, but plenty of Wash-Rotom. Gonna do some more battles later tonight.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
Weird that the species clause isn't in effect. Yesterday, I faced a team of six Bibarels. XD

So far, I'm 3-3. Oddly, no Talonflame yet, but plenty of Wash-Rotom. Gonna do some more battles later tonight.

I'll trade you. I'll send you everyone that uses Talonflame and I'll take all the Rotom-W. My team is much more prepared for Rotom-W. :p

I think the majority of the highly competitive players are already done for today which could explain why you aren't facing a bunch of Talonflame.

old man

On Guard!!!
Big props to the person who used a all normal. Team mega kangaskan is a HUGE pain. Half the folk I've faced has used it

Arande

Lum berry works. had it work on a mat block/dark void lead.
Don't know why they allow dark void again honestly :/ would have roflstomped that person enxt turn if heat wave didn't miss the smeargle (I know I know, I hate people that complain about missing, but comeon, it was against dark void)

First turn, I protect/tailwind
he mat blocks/dark void (lum keeps talonflame awake)
second turn BB breaks smeargles sash, heat wave kills greninja, misses smeargle
3rd turn I never wake up D;
shame cause his other 2 was also char y and venusaur. A flame blitz would have killed venusaur (tailwind letting me outspeed over chlorophyll), and ancient power the other Y

anyways, 5-3. Also noticed the lack of species clause when against 3 togekiss.

Never thought of doing this particular strategy, but now that I've seen it and almost been beaten by it, I'm going to give it a shot come Season 3:

The first team I faced used a Klefki that led off with Safeguard, and followed up by Swaggering his Mega-Mom, giving her the attack boost and negating the confusion.

I'm thinking it might work with Scarf T-Tar, Scarf Chomp... pretty much any scarf attacker.

Halkel

Experimentalist
I never found any Same Species pokemon in this tournament yet. I done my 20 with a good start. Sadly, I seem to have bad luck when it comes to my Mawile Destroyer as every time it came out, I got outmatched or they purposely weakened it to finish it off with mega Mawile. One case, It flinched to a partner pokemon.

old man

On Guard!!!
Running into ALOT of dark void users and that blasted mega-kangaskan. I'm doing very poorly in this one. Not gonna lie I didn't prepare to we'll for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.